Packers Plan To Be Big Spenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bulk of any free agent money Ted plans to spend needs to be used up on the defense I think we can all agree on that. But with a guy like James Jones also being a free agent, not one that I consider a must resign, the WR group is going to take a hit. Instead of throwing a longterm deal at Jones what would you all think of taking a chance on a guy like Denario Alexander to take his place? I understand he is a HUGE injury concern but when healthy he has shown the ability to be a #1 type of guy in the NFL. He would come dirt cheap more than likely and I wouldn't do anything longterm with him but sign him to a 1 year deal with minimal guaranteed $ and see what happens. Thoughts?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bulk of any free agent money Ted plans to spend needs to be used up on the defense I think we can all agree on that. But with a guy like James Jones also being a free agent, not one that I consider a must resign, the WR group is going to take a hit. Instead of throwing a longterm deal at Jones what would you all think of taking a chance on a guy like Denario Alexander to take his place? I understand he is a HUGE injury concern but when healthy he has shown the ability to be a #1 type of guy in the NFL. He would come dirt cheap more than likely and I wouldn't do anything longterm with him but sign him to a 1 year deal with minimal guaranteed $ and see what happens. Thoughts?

I'd love to see them give a guy with good size a shot. I'd be "OK" with it if it's only option after spending on the rest of the receiving corps. That's the issue here.

I agree Jones is not a "must sign" only because I have complete faith in Nelson, Cobb and I honestly think Boykin showed enough that we should feel excited about him. That's of course assuming we get Cobb and Nelson extended. Having said that, Jones sure has become solid since his droppsy stage years ago.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nope...never read Pro Football Reference. It's real simple. You'll notice I seldom even comment on college players. Why? ...because I just can't get into the college game and hence, don't follow the players very closely like many of the guys on here (other than the bagggders).

It´s really tough READING Pro Football Reference as it´s a stat site only. Don´t know what the site has to do with college football either, it´s name should imply it covers the NFL.

I love NFL football however and follow the players closely... especially on the offensive side of the ball. Fantasy football keeps me out of trouble and I have a blast with it. What is really funny, it's guys like you that consistently finish last or close to it in fantasy and yet you're always the most outspoken about opinions and how you post "facts". You get your info from doing on-line stat and info searches and regurgitating what you hear idiot fans around you puke out.

What is really, really funny is that you claim to know football because you play fantasy football. That explains your hate for Bennett (you probably drafted him when he was in Dallas as you thought he´ll be the next Tony Gonzalez, not realizing what his role would be on that team) and Amendola (lost some games because he got injured and still bitter???). Let me tell you one thing, playing fantasy football doesn´t make you an expert, it´s actually watching the guys play and understanding their roles on a team, the Red Zone channel won´t do that for you though.

You don't have a clue about half the guys you comment on until you google them and/or have your little stat websites to attempt to make your point.

Be honest for once, could you give me in detail, the career breakdowns of Bennett and Amendola without looking them up? You know it and I know it. You are an expert arm-chair GM on the internet but I suspect if we were chatting in conversation you wouldn't have nearly as much of that great knowledge without a computer in front of you.

There are more than 1,700 players in the NFL, of course I don´t know about all of them (everybody claiming that is not telling the truth). It´s OK looking up information about them, but it´s important to understand the stuff you´re looking up (once again going back to the Bennett story).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Edited? Nope.
Your post #117 created on Monday at 8:44 AM. “Last edited: Monday at 9:20AM”. My post #118 created Monday 9:12AM.Do I have to explain a time line to you? You've gone from childish petulance to lying about something displayed on the forum.

And how hilarious you re-posted your income vs. revenue tantrum. Can spelling and grammar corrections be far behind? :rolleyes:

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know whether we will or won't be a major player in FA when it opens. I suppose the answer lies in your definition of "major." To me, most associate that label with the Redskins of the league who dominate the early in the process, giant sticker price signings. I have no interested in that kind of "major," and few people I know clamber for that kind of recognition.

Are we talking major in the sheer numbers of signees, where there are several to many people brought in, even if their star power and salary cap hit is minimal? Lots of people like to relive the Patriots signing of over a dozen perceived to be marginal FA's enroute to a SB win a little more than a decade ago, but how many teams consistently use this strategy to dramatically improve their roster? It seems to me that this is a depth improvement strategy where you're looking to enhance the bottom third of the roster- it matters because in stretches those 3rd stringer need to play a lot and perform at a similar level to your starters... We did see TT take a stab at this a couple years ago with the Merling/Hargrove pre-camp strategy in the hope that we'd find some rotational depth and impact. It didn't work out, but it also didn't hamstring us cap wise. I think trying this more regularly means the odds that you hit go up simply because you play more, but we get similar looks at players through undrafted free agency, which is a staple of our personnel acquisition MO under TT.

Then there's major in the sense that the guys you sign deliver tremendous value for the dollars you spend on their contract. Everyone is familiar with Charles Woodson as an exemplar of this, and to a lesser but still significant extent, Ryan Pickett has been a great value overall. I would have to say that the frequency of these kinds of "major" is really low league wide- perhaps only Reggie White was a better defensive FA in quality of play and impact on the rest of the defence in NFL history. I think there are few instances like Woodson because the conditions for signing someone like that at a dollar value that makes sense are so rare- there were a lot of names at the time he signed with us that were similar, if not bigger, in terms of marquee value, so he wasn't the one FA everyone had to have. There were serious questions about Woodson and whether he was done at the time we got him too.

Perhaps the only FA in his prime that remains an elite player after big money I can think of over the past several years is Vincent Jackson, who was a stud in SD, and remains one in TB. Apart from that, big money signings rarely deliver great bang for the buck.

Many will point to Percy Harvin and Cliff Avril as great examples because they made plays in the SB for Seattle, and perhaps those plays and that win will justify their collectively enormous price tag. I think it may be just as likely that those signings become millstones to continued elite competiveness for the Seahawks- Harvin is an injury machine predating his time in Seattle, and Avril is streaky at best. You really need big money players to deliver consistently for their contracts to be worth it, and to date, neither of them have provided that high level consistency. Past history says they are unlikely to start doing that either.

I would like to see TT target players that provide proven fixes for longstanding issues. Solilai has been mentioned as a potential target. I think he's a lesser talent than Raji, but he's more consistent, and he made the Fins 3-4 work. We could use that, and he's a solid citizen and teammate. If the market doesn't drive his price beyond something ridiculous, is $5 mil a season for 4 years really a bad deal for someone you can plug in at NT in our base and get consistently effective play from? I don't think you need to plug several holes with big money deals, but I think if you can tackle one significant issue per offseason this way with an affordable price tag, your drafting really becomes a developmental operation because you're not forcing young guys to be really good when they're not ready- they get to watch and rotate under players who give you the consistency you need, and that rubs off.

There are off seasons where I think TT would be wise to be more active, and there are off seasons where I'm perfectly happy to watch them all fleece opponents for contracts they won't deliver on while we stay put in great financial shape. This year, I think where we're drafting there are likely to be really good options on 3-4 DE's, potential OT's (Taylor Lewan may be around when we draft, and the kid from Tennessee could be the second coming of Chad Clifton), and interesting LBs. I'd really like to see us solidify one spot so we can narrow the focus of what we're looking for in the draft. To me, that would make FA "major" this offseason...

H

HardRightEdge

Your post #117 created on Monday at 8:44 AM. “Last edited: Monday at 9:20AM”. My post #118 created Monday 9:12AM.Do I have to explain a time line to you? You've gone from childish petulance to lying about something displayed on the forum.

And how hilarious you re-posted your income vs. revenue tantrum. Can spelling and grammar corrections be far behind? :rolleyes:
Think what you like, but I think I added the "pictorially stomp up and down quip" before reading your reply. I edit most posts a couple of times as you probably noticed...sometimes other thoughts occur to me in process of multitasking. I'd still like to see that pictorial, by the way. The verbal stomping and whining is losing it's appeal.

In any case, you were so flustered you missed the point and so flummoxed you forgot to quote me. I'd remind you that YOU resurrected the "income" issue, not me. You're not too sharp regarding corporate finance, Jack, Jackie Boy, Jackaroo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was a mind blowingly awful group, and not that it should surprise anybody but good grief. This is as gaping of a hole as I've ever seen and it needs to be corrected. I don't know which of the FA safeties best fits what we need but this HAS to be addressed in free agency IMHO. Also MD didn't record a pass defended this season either.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It´s really tough READING Pro Football Reference as it´s a stat site only. Don´t know what the site has to do with college football either, it´s name should imply it covers the NFL.

What is really, really funny is that you claim to know football because you play fantasy football. That explains your hate for Bennett (you probably drafted him when he was in Dallas as you thought he´ll be the next Tony Gonzalez, not realizing what his role would be on that team) and Amendola (lost some games because he got injured and still bitter???). Let me tell you one thing, playing fantasy football doesn´t make you an expert, it´s actually watching the guys play and understanding their roles on a team, the Red Zone channel won´t do that for you though.

There are more than 1,700 players in the NFL, of course I don´t know about all of them (everybody claiming that is not telling the truth). It´s OK looking up information about them, but it´s important to understand the stuff you´re looking up (once again going back to the Bennett story).

... but yet... YOU know more about the NFL and how to win Super Bowls than Ted Thompson that actually won one just 3 years ago, played in the NFL, and has been around the front office forever. Interesting huh?

There are people on this forum that know players in this league much better than I do. You are not one of them and that's pretty damn clear. Like I said, keep on thumping your chest as an internet NFL expert where you have all the time in the world to use google to help you attempt to prove a point.

You still didn't answer me, interestingly enough. I could have given you a pretty detailed cliff notes on both Amedola and Bennetts careers without having to look them up on-line. How much info could you have given?

H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This was a mind blowingly awful group, and not that it should surprise anybody but good grief. This is as gaping of a hole as I've ever seen and it needs to be corrected. I don't know which of the FA safeties best fits what we need but this HAS to be addressed in free agency IMHO. Also MD didn't record a pass defended this season either.
And yet, as bad as that safety performance might be, PFF rated DE as the highest need, an argument I've been making since season-end. Ouch.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Think what you like, but I think I added the "pictorially stomp up and down quip" before reading your reply. I edit most posts a couple of times as you probably noticed...sometimes other thoughts occur to me in process of multitasking.
Then why when I pointed out you edited the post, did you post "Edited? Nope." Hey don't trip as you quickly back peddle.

I "resurrected" the "income" issue to point out your pouting. BTW there's your visual: Little LimpLeftEdge sobbing "Someone didn't agree with my point about branches and trees!!" Regarding income vs. revenue both can be modified by "gross" and "net" and both terms can and are applied to businesses. It was nitpicking in the extreme on your part but right in line with your recent need to pat yourself on the back:
PFF rated DE as the highest need, an argument I've been making since season-end. Ouch.
PFF, the site you previously harshly discredited but now all of a sudden agree with ignoring the fact that their evaluations are based on their "subjective ratings". Too funny, ouch indeed.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet, as bad as that safety performance might be, PFF rated DE as the highest need, an argument I've been making since season-end. Ouch.

With Daniels on one side and a first rounder on the other, who should get better, I wouldn't call DE a priority.

Can't guarantee Jones will get better, but also can't put a lot towards the position yet without giving him more time.

H

HardRightEdge

Then why when I pointed out you edited the post, did you post "Edited? Nope." Hey don't trip as you quickly back peddle.

I "resurrected" the "income" issue to point out your pouting. BTW there's your visual: Little LimpLeftEdge sobbing "Someone didn't agree with my point about branches and trees!!" Regarding income vs. revenue both can be modified by "gross" and "net" and both terms can and are applied to businesses. It was nitpicking in the extreme on your part but right in line with your recent need to pat yourself on the back: PFF, the site you previously harshly discredited but now all of a sudden agree with ignoring the fact that their evaluations are based on their "subjective ratings". Too funny, ouch indeed.
Because I didn't edit the salient point. What's next? You're going to start correcting misspellings too? ;)

As for PFF, the irony was inescapable. It seems those parties stating a linebacker / safety draft preference in an earlier exchange (in counterpoint to my posts arguing D-line comes first) are the same parties fond of quoting PFF!

Something else you should note, harkening back to an unrelated item of recent note on your part. PFF did not have coaches tape until this past season; they said so on their web site. That's yet another irony! Said tapes became available in-season starting this past year at NFL.com as part of the replay package...$40 for the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

... but yet... YOU know more about the NFL and how to win Super Bowls than Ted Thompson that actually won one just 3 years ago, played in the NFL, and has been around the front office forever. Interesting huh?

Please let me know when you find a post by me where I suggested I know more about the NFL than TT.

There are people on this forum that know players in this league much better than I do. You are not one of them and that's pretty damn clear. Like I said, keep on thumping your chest as an internet NFL expert where you have all the time in the world to use google to help you attempt to prove a point.

I don't think it is tough to know more about NFL players than you as you have proved in multiple posts that you don't have any clue, even acknowleding you don't know a lot about defensive players because they aren't part of your fantasy team.

You still didn't answer me, interestingly enough. I could have given you a pretty detailed cliff notes on both Amedola and Bennetts careers without having to look them up on-line. How much info could you have given?

You didn 't even know Bennett was a blocking TE in Dallas. Amendola has been a productive receiver when healthy, but by calling him a bust you imply you know more about the NFL than Belichick.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, looks like the rumor is true - TT is off to the races with that fat *** of cash burning a hole in his pocket. Not only that, but he is blowing the doors off the competition by getting these guys sooner than all them lazy GMs not doing their jobs who are actually sitting around waiting for Free Agency. Well, losers, there are free agents to be had but TT is snapping em all up!

Packers have now signed two FAs, Raymond Webber, TE and now RB Michael Hill.

Who is next? TE Jimmy Graham? Probably not, he already nabbed one a TE with Weber, don't need another. OG Walter Sidnipple? Its exciting! The anticipation!

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, looks like the rumor is true - TT is off to the races with that fat *** of cash burning a hole in his pocket. Not only that, but he is blowing the doors off the competition by getting these guys sooner than all them lazy GMs not doing their jobs who are actually sitting around waiting for Free Agency. Well, losers, there are free agents to be had but TT is snapping em all up!

Packers have now signed two FAs, Raymond Webber, TE and now RB Michael Hill.

Who is next? TE Jimmy Graham? Probably not, he already nabbed one of them. OG Walter Sidnipple? Its exciting! The anticipation!

I haven't done any research on your post, but his last name really isn't Sidnipple right? That can't be a real person.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please let me know when you find a post by me where I suggested I know more about the NFL than TT.

I don't think it is tough to know more about NFL players than you as you have proved in multiple posts that you don't have any clue, even acknowleding you don't know a lot about defensive players because they aren't part of your fantasy team.

You didn 't even know Bennett was a blocking TE in Dallas. Amendola has been a productive receiver when healthy, but by calling him a bust you imply you know more about the NFL than Belichick.
lmao.... you won't answer the question. That's fine. We both know the answer even if you won't admit it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't done any research on your post, but his last name really isn't Sidnipple right? That can't be a real person.
Remember the play in the national championship, when Uber all American Clowney was stunting up the middle about to tackle Johnny Manzel, and out of nowhere a guard just erupted on him - laying him out flat? Well, Sidnipple was at home watching that, picking up tips. He graduated in 2011 from South Pulaski Poly Tech. He got cut from Minot Manglers of the Arena League a couple weeks ago and is now a FA.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember the play in the national championship, when Uber all American Clowney was stunting up the middle about to tackle Johnny Manzel, and out of nowhere a guard just erupted on him - laying him out flat? Well, Sidnipple was at home watching that, picking up tips. He graduated in 2011 from South Pulaski Poly Tech. He got cut from Minot Manglers of the Arena League a couple weeks ago and is now a FA.
lol... you do know that you had captaingooglesearch pulling his hair out trying to find info on Walter Sidnipple right?

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Jason Wilde just pointed out on Twitter... Packers have reportedly shown interest in Red Bryant, Lamar Houston, and Arthur Jones referencing Ian Rapaport reporting we are planning to make-over the D-Line.

D

Deleted member 6794

As Jason Wilde just pointed out on Twitter... Packers have reportedly shown interest in Red Bryant, Lamar Houston, and Arthur Jones referencing Ian Rapaport reporting we are planning to make-over the D-Line.

Red Bryant has already signed with the Jaguars and according to Houston's agent the Packers haven't inquired about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts