Packers pick Dom Capers for the DC position

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack picks Capers
McCarthy tabs former head coach to lead his defense
gannett Wisconsin media • January 19, 2009

Buzz up! Mike McCarthy's search for a defensive coordinator ended Sunday night when he hired Dom Capers to run the Green Bay Packers' defense, an NFL source said.

Capers is the former head coach for Carolina and Houston and defensive coordinator for three other NFL teams. He interviewed with McCarthy on Friday night and Saturday, and McCarthy might have moved fast to hire him because the New York Giants reportedly were interested in hiring Capers as their defensive coordinator as well.

The move probably signals a change for the Packers from the 4-3 defense to a 3-4, though the move could be gradual. Capers has worked in both systems and this past season was special assistant-secondary for the New England Patriots, who use a mix of 3-4 and 4-3.

But Capers mostly has a run the 3-4 in his career and made his name in coaching circles with his innovative use of zone blitzes in that scheme as defensive coordinator for Pittsburgh from 1992-94, and as Carolina's head coach from 1995-98. In his second season with expansion Carolina, 1996, he advanced to the NFC championship game, where the lost to the Packers.

** edited title.........longtimefan

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Source says Packers pick Dom Capers for the DC position

I LOVE THE MOVE!!

Packers draft DE Aaron Maybin withe #9 pick. Welcome to the 3-4 people!

hogbuck

Cheesehead
Reaction score

huzaahhh! hopefully those 23 years of experience pay off!!

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And working with some darn good coaches in the past.

Man, good news indeed.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think GB will be a 3-4 defense. McCarthy, as long as I can remember, never played it, and Capers DID used a 4-3 defense in Carolina. Besides, we don't have ANY of the personnel needed ( maybe the ILBs with Barnett and Hawk ). But I wet myself when I heard the news. He's a tremenduous DC. Say what you want about him, but Belichick is the best defensive oriented coach in the league, and anybody who works with him ends up getting some great experience.

Reaction score

I think we will change to a 3-4 defense because we had the same personnel besides cullen and barnett. and some of the great defenses now are 3-4 ... steelers, ravens Plus ryan pickett and johnny jolly were terrible they did not get any penetration until the end of the season so i think a 3-4 would be the best if we will figure out how to blitz you put aj hawk and nick barnet in the middle desmond bishiop on the outside and popinga on the other thats unless we draft some 1 Then the line it will go cullen Pickett and kampmon

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron rodgers is god said:
I think we will change to a 3-4 defense because we had the same personnel besides cullen and barnett. and some of the great defenses now are 3-4 ... steelers, ravens Plus ryan pickett and johnny jolly were terrible they did not get any penetration until the end of the season so i think a 3-4 would be the best if we will figure out how to blitz you put aj hawk and nick barnet in the middle desmond bishiop on the outside and popinga on the other thats unless we draft some 1 Then the line it will go cullen Pickett and kampmon

Agreed. The 3-4 is predicated on the ends stuffing the run and the OLBs providing the pass rush. Jenkins and Kampman both support the run very well, and a pass-rushing OLB can be found in the draft (Maybin, DE from USF) or in FA (Suggs). Plus, Barnett and Hawk would form a great ILBing combo.

I'm glad to see a good pick for the DC.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here is some info on Dom capers. I like the DC pick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Player
After playing football for the Meadowbrook High School Colts in Byesville, Ohio, Capers attended Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio where he played linebacker and safety. He is a brother of the Alpha Nu chapter of Alpha Tau Omega.

College Coaching Career
He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Kent State University and the University of Washington. Later he was an assistant coach at Hawaii, San Jose State, California, Tennessee and Ohio State.

NFL Coaching Career
After a stint in the USFL, he began his NFL career as an assistant with the New Orleans Saints and was named defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1992, including a trip to the AFC Championship game in 1994. He remained with the Steelers until becoming head coach of the expansion Carolina Panthers in 1995. After 1995's 7-9 season, a record breaking mark for an expansion team, the Panthers went to the NFC Championship game in 1996. Continuing to spend against the salary cap, and eventually taking control of personnel matters in 1997, the Panthers went 7-9, followed by a dismal 4-12 season in 1998, at the end of which he was terminated.

After being let go from the Panthers, he served as an assistant with the Jacksonville Jaguars until becoming the head coach of the expansion Houston Texans on January 21, 2001. After starting out 4-12 (2002) and 5-11 (2003) in his first two seasons in Houston, the Texans posted a 7-9 mark in 2004.

Capers was known for his abilities as a defensive coach, and for his conservative play-calling on offense. Several TV announcers were known to predict Texans plays on occasion. He was also famous because he kept a 17 hour per day work schedule and sleeping just five hours per night, often on a couch in his office.

The Texans announced in 2005 following their record of 2-14 (worst in NFL) that Capers would be fired January 2, 2006.

On January 23, 2006, the Miami Dolphins announced the hiring of Dom Capers as the team's defensive coordinator. There, he served as assistant head coach. With an annual salary of $2.6 million, Capers was the highest paid assistant coach in the NFL, alongside Washington Redskins assistant head coach Gregg Williams. On Thursday, January 3, 2008, Dom Capers was fired along with all offensive and defensive coaches. It was said that the new head coach may hire the assistants back.

On January 29, 2008, Capers interviewed with the Dallas Cowboys for the vacant linebackers coach position. It is rumored that he was offered the defensive coordinator or defensive consultant position.

On February 21, 2008, Dom Capers was hired by the Patriots as their secondary coach/special assistant, replacing Joel Collier.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can't wait to see what he does with the D. I think this is a good pick, he should turn things around and bring much needed intensity.

The Wok

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am watching the press conference now, and they're discussing the 3-4. I missed the beginning - have they confirmed that they're running a 3-4?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They are going 3-4, but will play a 4-man line at times.

MM says Picket is a natural for noseguard. I think it should work good.

pacman5252

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not a huge fan of this, just because we don't have the personnel. I think Pickett, and Jenkins will be fine. We will need to either experiment with like Monty, Jolly, Harrell, or bring in another DE at for other end cause Kamp is too undersized. (We probably should trade him while he has a ton of value. We could easily get a first and a third, or another quality player.)

This pretty much means we either take Rey Maluaga to play MLB and keep Hawk at will, or we move Hawk inside and take a Rush LB like Maybin/Curry, FSU guy and go ***-Barnett-Hawk-Chillar

Reaction score

I m gonna like the 3-4 scheme poppinga is a nice blitzing lb even in the 08 season he lined up on the d line and he will only get better through coaching same for Desmond bishiop this is his 2nd season and we will be n a lot of zones when we are defending the pass which means aj hawk has to stay in one spot instead of sucky coverage against a running back. I think this scheme could work out great espically for the secondary. The lb /linemen get pressure on the qb and then the qb makes mistakes which means nick collins and charles make some big plays. Plus if we get brian orkapo he could be like a demarcus ware sometimes he will line up as a linemen otherwise he could standup and blitz

The Wok

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know if Orakpo is large enough to play in a 3-4.

As others have said, I think this means Kampman needs to go as well.

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Kampman will be fine.. it's not like he'd be the first undersized DE to play the 3-4.. Plus McCarthy was sayin in the press conference that he'd be fine and there goin with kampman.. so I really don't see Green Bay tradin him.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Orakpo may also be a linebacker type, according to one report I read.

Kampman is 6-4, 265. The starting DEs for Pittsburgh are 298 and 285. He's not that far off, and I think he will find a way to compete because he is a football player.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Wok said:
I am watching the press conference now, and they're discussing the 3-4. I missed the beginning - have they confirmed that they're running a 3-4?

packers.com is reporting a definate switch to the 3-4! Pickett is the nose tackle and Kampman and Jenkins are the ends.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Wok said:
I don't know if Orakpo is large enough to play in a 3-4.

As others have said, I think this means Kampman needs to go as well.

Kampman has never been a size guy his always been a "motor guy". He is the type of guy that will work hard enough to succeed. Kampman will be the perfect 3-4 end because of his strength against both the run and pass.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've just read the press conference. I never would've thought we would go for 3-4. I didn't think we had the personnel. But MM thinks we do. Jenkins can play Elephant DE. He thinks Pickett can play NT. I don't think our DTs can even play football ( they're too slow and too weak ). He thinks Kampman can play OLB / DE. He has the speed and strenght to play, but he never did. AJ and Barnett are GREAT ILB. We can draft a Maualuga, Orakpo, Maybin, Curry... I'm still not convinced, but I'm starting to believe... If we can get a Big, Run stuffing, Hampton, Haynesworth like DT and draft a great OLB, we could be a great 3-4 team.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(I don't see Kampman as that type of defensive end in a 3-4. Does he need to get bigger?)
"He's an outside rusher. Who's to say we're going to play him at the defensive end position? There's two types of 3-4. You look at the old two-gap 3-4, and you look at the 3-4 that Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Francisco and Dallas, what they're doing with their personnel. I think this is an excellent defense for Aaron, particularly in the base defense, and we'll also utilize Aaron more in the sub-packages."

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackersRS said:
I've just read the press conference. I never would've thought we would go for 3-4. I didn't think we had the personnel. But MM thinks we do. Jenkins can play Elephant DE. He thinks Pickett can play NT. I don't think our DTs can even play football ( they're too slow and too weak ). He thinks Kampman can play OLB / DE. He has the speed and strenght to play, but he never did. AJ and Barnett are GREAT ILB. We can draft a Maualuga, Orakpo, Maybin, Curry... I'm still not convinced, but I'm starting to believe... If we can get a Big, Run stuffing, Hampton, Haynesworth like DT and draft a great OLB, we could be a great 3-4 team.

I would really like to see Kampman at the OLB spot in the 3-4 D with Barnett and Hawk inside. Draft Cushing for the other OLB spot.

GJ85

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great news I'v spent to much of my life watching the Pac get burned on defense

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score

CalifPacker said:
PackersRS said:

I would really like to see Kampman at the OLB spot in the 3-4 D with Barnett and Hawk inside. Draft Cushing for the other OLB spot.
I completely agree. My first thought when I heard we were going 3-4 was that I was excited to see what Kampman could do standing up as a LB. I kind of see Capers moving him around a lot, playing him at LB and DE, sort of like a hybrid, kind of like how someone like DeMarcus Ware occasionally plays DE as well as his normal LB spot. Though I expect nowhere near Ware numbers out of Kampman.

oomparific

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wanted the 3-4 about 4 weeks into the season this year lol... As for Kampman being undersized - as many have already stated, he's not real far off. Also, he has one of the highest motors in the league and faced double teams (if not help from a third and occasionally a 4th blocker) all year. The 3-4 will BEG that our down linemen get double teamed and allow linebackers to flow freely (which is when Hawk is truly at his best).

Also, Pickett is almost the ideal NT for a 3-4, I just wonder about his ability to go every down. However, Jolly should be able to hold his own when he's called on to rest Pickett. Another point in favor of the 3-4 is the fact it cuts an offensive playbook way down. Angles and lanes are drastically altered by the exchange of a down lineman for a linebacker. Our already opportunistic defense could easily thrive with the right schemes.

The one down side is that the 3-4 is traditionally a zone defense and our two best corners are at their best in man coverage. I'm really looking forward to this and the selection truly surprised me. Prior to learning we had picked Capers, I was hoping for Gruden or Rex Ryan (who is going to the Jets)

Members online

Latest posts