Packers on the hot seat

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
This preseason will be an important one for Sherrod. Still high hopes for him.

Perry for sure gets more time. Production has been low due to injury, but you also have to remember that he played D-End in a 4-3 defense at USC. Capers and MM obviously understand that with having him play OLB in a 3-4 in the NFL there is going to be a pretty substantial learning curve.

Jerel Worthy needs to get the hell out of dodge.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This preseason will be an important one for Sherrod. Still high hopes for him.

Perry for sure gets more time. Production has been low due to injury, but you also have to remember that he played D-End in a 4-3 defense at USC. Capers and MM obviously understand that with having him play OLB in a 3-4 in the NFL there is going to be a pretty substantial learning curve.

Jerel Worthy needs to get the hell out of dodge.

pretty much agree. I would be very surprised if all 3 made the 53

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
pretty much agree. I would be very surprised if all 3 made the 53

I seriously hope that Perry plays an injury free season and looks good doing it.

I really can't wait to watch Sherrod play this preseason either. I hope he shows us....well...ANYTHING.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all of the 3rd & 4th year, injury-stricken guys are on the hotseat. Sherrod, Worthy, Perry, House ALL need to show that the light bulb is on, they're able to stay on the field AND produce. There's no room for them if they can't help this year ~ the "potential" tag is exhausted and they need to step up from Day 1 of camp.

If I wanted I could also throw-in Lattimore and Richardson, but those guys have at least given GB some production, to date.

There is enough depth and potential on the roster that all 4 could easily become cuts in late August.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think Sherrod will make the 53, no doubt.

The other three, though, are big questions.

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Perry sticks around for now. Sherrod and Worthy are both competing for their jobs at this point. Injuries or not, they are entering their 4th year and need to show they can be contributors. In other words I feel they are on the roster bubble and need to prove on the field that they belong in the final 53.

Perry is entering his 3rd year and has flashed enough potential IMO that he has bought himself one more season to prove that he can live up to his draft status. I dont feel his roster spot is in jeopardy unless he has an awful training camp/preseason

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Perry sticks around for now. Sherrod and Worthy are both competing for their jobs at this point. Injuries or not, they are entering their 4th year and need to show they can be contributors. In other words I feel they are on the roster bubble and need to prove on the field that they belong in the final 53.

Perry is entering his 3rd year and has flashed enough potential IMO that he has bought himself one more season to prove that he can live up to his draft status. I dont feel his roster spot is in jeopardy unless he has an awful training camp/preseason

Worthy is entering his third year as well.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sherrod would have to make 10 major steps forward in order to even compete. He has been out more than he has ever been in. At this point, I think I would have chalked him up to a lost cause. I am hoping he does not make the 53, there are guys that will out perform him, bank on that.

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy is entering his third year as well.

You're right, my mistake. I still feel like Worthy's job is more in jeopardy than Perry's though.

.also (and this is way off-topic), but do any of you happen to know if its possible to change a username?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Perry will get every opportunity to earn PT. His biggest problem so far is getting and staying healthy. We've seen flashes from him - last season he had 4 sacks, forced 3 fumbles and defensed one pass. But he broke his foot in game 5 and wasn't the same when he came back. He also has the physical attributes that made him a first rounder: He's fast and strong at 6-3 and about 265, even for an NFL player. He struggles in coverage but I think he can be very good vs. the run and he was getting better rushing the passer before the injury.

House has also shown flashes but his inconsistency has to be frustrating for the coaching staff. I think it was the preseason before the 2012 season when he was playing both the run and pass aggressively and very well. And then he got hurt. His inconsistency got him benched on D last season until Shields' injury. But House was good on STs and that may earn him a spot even if he doesn't fulfill his potential as a CB.

IMO what distinguishes Sherrod and Worthy from the two above is neither distinguished himself before injury. Worthy got by with a quick first step in college and that didn't translate well to the NFL IMO. He got stronger before last season but then had knee surgery. I didn't see him flash rushing the passer or playing the run as a rookie. Lightning could strike for him but I think he's got too much competition to make the team.

Sherrod looks the part but hadn't acclimated to the NFL game well before his injury. Maybe having him learn OT and OG early didn't help, but I didn't see the quick feet required by a LT. The good news is he was healthy enough to practice for about one-half of last season so if he stays healthy perhaps we'll see what he has to offer. I hope that horrible injury didn't ruin his chances. He doesn't have as much competition as Worthy and he was a first rounder. But this is the last year of his rookie deal so it's now or never for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Perry will get every opportunity to earn PT. His biggest problem so far is getting and staying healthy. We've seen flashes from him - last season he had 4 sacks, forced 3 fumbles and defensed one pass. But he broke his foot in game 5 and wasn't the same when he came back. He also has the physical attributes that made him a first rounder: He's fast and strong at 6-3 and about 265, even for an NFL player. He struggles in coverage but I think he can be very good vs. the run and he was getting better rushing the passer before the injury.

I agree he showed some flashes last year, but IMO he will have a hard time getting playing time as I expect Peppers to play mostly on obvious passing downs instead of him and with Neal getting some snaps as well.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree he showed some flashes last year, but IMO he will have a hard time getting playing time as I expect Peppers to play mostly on obvious passing downs instead of him and with Neal getting some snaps as well.
I just received a super secret memo from my source inside Lambeau. She - or he - tells me Capers is working on a new scheme, the 0-11-0 formation which will feature Nick Perry.

Seriously I don't expect Perry to start or to get more snaps than Peppers or Neal. But if they are going to limit Peppers' snaps I do think Perry has a spot particularly on obvious running downs at LOLB. What I'm sure all of us would like to see is Perry completely healthy for an entire season. If that happens I think he'll earn PT.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Perry is healthy he will play and he will play a lot. If he can't stay healthy he will be looking for work elsewhere. I think it's that cut and dry. When he has been able to be on the field he has shown the ability to be an impact player. The problem is he never seems to be able to stay on the field. Here's hoping he can stay healthy and help this defensive unit get to the next level which is a must for this team to battle for the Lombardi.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Worthy is fighting for a spot, any of our WILB outside of Brad are on the bubble, Palmer probably won't make it, and any of the WR behind Abby. Perry and Sherrod will both make this roster. Sherrod is the only guy on the bench I trust at LT, and Perry might actually be better than Peppers at this point.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Worthy is fighting for a spot, any of our WILB outside of Brad are on the bubble, Palmer probably won't make it, and any of the WR behind Abby. Perry and Sherrod will both make this roster. Sherrod is the only guy on the bench I trust at LT, and Perry might actually be better than Peppers at this point.

What about Guion?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What about Guion?
It's him and Worthy, if we even keep 7 DL it's those two fighting for that last spot. Guion reminds me an awful lot of the Muir situation though. Predicting Worthy to squeak out a win and make 53. Besides, Guion's seat can't be hot because he doesn't technically have a roster spot to lose. He's the guy making the seat hot.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's him and Worthy, if we even keep 7 DL it's those two fighting for that last spot. Guion reminds me an awful lot of the Muir situation though. Predicting Worthy to squeak out a win and make 53. Besides, Guion's seat can't be hot because he doesn't technically have a roster spot to lose. He's the guy making the seat hot.

True, but Guion started 13 games last year and Worthy can't even seem to even get on the field.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

That seriously made me laugh..... thanks, I needed a good laugh.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherrod is the only guy with Cliftonesque size. I too would love to see him take over at L tackle if he's able.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sherrod is the only guy with Cliftonesque size. I too would love to see him take over at L tackle if he's able.
I would be absolutely shocked if Sherrod beat out Bahktiari. I think he's on the bubble of making the roster and I don't think they will keep him if he's not one of the top 7 linemen coming out of camp.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I would be absolutely shocked if Sherrod beat out Bahktiari. I think he's on the bubble of making the roster and I don't think they will keep him if he's not one of the top 7 linemen coming out of camp.
I don't think there's any chance he won't be one of the top 7 OL coming out of camp.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any chance he won't be one of the top 7 OL coming out of camp.
I guess I'm less optimistic about him because I think there is little chance he'll be better than Bulaga or Bahktiari and Barclay appears to be a very adequate replacement at more than one position which leaves him in competition with all the others. I would expect that some one in that group is likely to impress enough that it puts Sherrod squarely on the bubble.

Members online

Latest posts