Packers Need to Hit in This Draft

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I honestly really like Margus Hunt and think he has TT written all over him. Teddy loves shopping for cars with dingers in them. Get the kids who have some sort of mark against them that deflates there value and see what happens. Aaron Rodgers was a Tedford product. Finley was too young, Matthews barely saw the field, Collins was a small school product, Jennings was a mid major receiver without any special physical traits, and Raji had a pot flag, and Nelson was too white. Hunt might currently be 25 but he hasn't played much football, there's very little wear on his tires and quite frankly guys with his physical attributes tend to age pretty well. Will he be a liability at 33 years of age when he's running a 4.9 forty and has a broad jump of 9 1/2 feet instead his current 4.5 forty and 10 foot broad jump?

Hunt is exactly what the Packers need at the position. He's brutally strong, he has the explosiveness and speed to get after the quarterback, the strength to push the pocket and he has great hands. Most importantly he has the strength and length to disengage when playing outside contain, and can get to the sidelines. I don't know about you guys but I didn't engage watching our husky Dlinemen huffing and puffing while they tried to chase down Kap.
How much can you trust those #s though? We're talking about a track athlete in his prime, a guy who's body is already fully developed. You can't place his numbers on the same level as a 22 year old kid still going through puberty who only had a few months with a track coach to try to show his athleticism. I see a big skew there.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much can you trust those #s though? We're talking about a track athlete in his prime, a guy who's body is already fully developed. You can't place his numbers on the same level as a 22 year old kid still going through puberty who only had a few months with a track coach to try to show his athleticism. I see a big skew there.
I thought I read that he got manhandled in the Senior bowl. Did amazing in drills, but on the field, he got thrown around by most of the OL. I remember one year when BJ Raji and Clay Matthews were stars in the actual game. I think it matters more to TT how they do in games than in practice.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I thought I read that he got manhandled in the Senior bowl. Did amazing in drills, but on the field, he got thrown around by most of the OL. I remember one year when BJ Raji and Clay Matthews were stars in the actual game. I think it matters more to TT how they do in games than in practice.
Bet your betty he got tossed around. Absolutely lousy SeniorBowl, nobody saw him after he weighed in. He got tossed around by D2 OL too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how do you know? you don't. And you are risking a draft pick and potentially millions of dollars. Can a person turn 180 and change a pattern held for the past 10 years? Yes, but its rare. It is far more likely he is more motivated to make a lot of money and he will revert to his old ways. The NFL is tough and you have to be very dedicated and focused. My guess is he doesn't make through his rookie contract.
tyrann update. NFL radio just reported he missed 2 team visits last week and advertising flyer surfaced advertising a post draft party he is hosting. Hmmm. Think he just dropped another round or two.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tyrann update. NFL radio just reported he missed 2 team visits last week and advertising flyer surfaced advertising a post draft party he is hosting. Hmmm. Think he just dropped another round or two.

I don't think it will hurt his draft status...to good of a football player.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly really like Margus Hunt and think he has TT written all over him. Teddy loves shopping for cars with dingers in them. Get the kids who have some sort of mark against them that deflates there value and see what happens. Aaron Rodgers was a Tedford product. Finley was too young, Matthews barely saw the field, Collins was a small school product, Jennings was a mid major receiver without any special physical traits, and Raji had a pot flag, and Nelson was too white. Hunt might currently be 25 but he hasn't played much football, there's very little wear on his tires and quite frankly guys with his physical attributes tend to age pretty well. Will he be a liability at 33 years of age when he's running a 4.9 forty and has a broad jump of 9 1/2 feet instead his current 4.5 forty and 10 foot broad jump?

Hunt is exactly what the Packers need at the position. He's brutally strong, he has the explosiveness and speed to get after the quarterback, the strength to push the pocket and he has great hands. Most importantly he has the strength and length to disengage when playing outside contain, and can get to the sidelines. I don't know about you guys but I didn't engage watching our husky Dlinemen huffing and puffing while they tried to chase down Kap.

I didn't know at his position that wear was a concern...
I mean its a way to spin it but the reality is he will be 26 this season and a complete project. He is a work out warrior but this isn't college, this is the nfl. You can't muscle your way through nfl O lines. Technique wins almost every time. If he is there in the 3rd round I'm considering it. Until then no thanks.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Francisco and Atlanta right now are our two biggest rivals outside the division in the NFC. Almost anyone knows that. Unless you missed it we've lost to SF the last two times we played them including a nasty one in the playoffs. Yes we need to get better to overtake them.

Heh, ok. So championships are won in March and April. Got it.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More proof Bleacher Report is nothing more than glorified bloggers: Zach Kruse is a featured columnist. You may remember this name from him winning one of the three spots to be a FAN COLUMNIST for the Journal Sentinel this season. I make no indictment on Kruse or his writing. But the fact he can go from a fan columnist for the local paper to a featured columnist for the new CNN sports page is patently ridiculous. And again, his most recent article was a slideshow to ramp up those page views.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How good of a football player was he last year? With a record like that, there is about a 99.99999999% chance he is suspended by Sheriff Goodell early in his career.

I'm all for second chances. But not 12th-chances.

I hear you bro i really do...but then i start to have flashbacks of a guy named Randy Moss, yea remember him?? All kinds of red flags coming out of Marshall, nobody wanted to touch him because of his off field mess. Heck we even passed on him for who?? Vonnie Holliday i think. Randy Moss is considered one of the greatest wr's of all time not because he liked to smoke tweeds but because he is a FOOTBALL player and ppl couldn't look past his flaws. Sometimes you have to look pass the "red flags" and give a guy a chance.....or else sombody else will where he turns out to be the next Charles Woodson.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you bro i really do...but then i start to have flashbacks of a guy named Randy Moss, yea remember him?? All kinds of red flags coming out of Marshall, nobody wanted to touch him because of his off field mess. Heck we even passed on him for who?? Vonnie Holliday i think. Randy Moss is considered one of the greatest wr's of all time not because he liked to smoke tweeds but because he is a FOOTBALL player and ppl couldn't look past his flaws. Sometimes you have to look pass the "red flags" and give a guy a chance.....or else sombody else will where he turns out to be the next Charles Woodson.
You are forgetting about Rae Carruth (went to jail on murder charges); Johnny Jolly (prison for drug dealing); Travis Henry (drug trafficing); Lawrence Phillips (drunk driving, assault); Art Schliester (gambling); Pacman Jones; Chris Henry; None of these guys helped their teams by being in jail.

And these are the big names who had issues - most where high draft picks or had some success. There are many more names of guys who had issues who didn't do well. Going back over 2010 draft - troubled characters like Chris Cook a phenom CB with a troubled past. Guiltly of assaulting his GF and some other issues. Can't recall any more names, but every year there are a dozen or so who drop due to character. And being that I don't remember their names, pretty much shows you that nothing became of them. One guy I can think of, but can't recall the name, was the Cincy LB. Had a great season last year despite not even getting drafted. At one time he was thought of as a 1st round pick.

Burfcit - or something.

Anyway - there is risk involved, and I don't think the returns are that big. And don't lump Charles Woodson in there. Questions about him where if he was a 'team player', he would work out with his own trainer in the offseason and skip OTAs. That is a far cry from multiple failed drug tests.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

After almost a dozen violations, he really needs another chance? So, by your standards, a drunk driver gets multiple DUI's and still deserves a drivers license? This kid was given free pass after free pass and still was dumb enough to repeat his offenses.....the guy is an idiot plain and simple. Not to mention, the guy is undersized and has yet to play against NFL calibur guys.....he would most likely get chewed up. Once a turd, always a turd.....I hope he goes undrafted.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More proof Bleacher Report is nothing more than glorified bloggers: Zach Kruse is a featured columnist. You may remember this name from him winning one of the three spots to be a FAN COLUMNIST for the Journal Sentinel this season. I make no indictment on Kruse or his writing. But the fact he can go from a fan columnist for the local paper to a featured columnist for the new CNN sports page is patently ridiculous. And again, his most recent article was a slideshow to ramp up those page views.

I like the kid. I think he is talented. I also think other than a few redeeming qualities, bleacher report sucks and is worst thing to happen to sports journalism since ESPN.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After almost a dozen violations, he really needs another chance? So, by your standards, a drunk driver gets multiple DUI's and still deserves a drivers license? This kid was given free pass after free pass and still was dumb enough to repeat his offenses.....the guy is an idiot plain and simple. Not to mention, the guy is undersized and has yet to play against NFL calibur guys.....he would most likely get chewed up. Once a turd, always a turd.....I hope he goes undrafted.

You know you are a bad pick when you are compared to randy moss off the field but not on the field.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are forgetting about Rae Carruth (went to jail on murder charges); Johnny Jolly (prison for drug dealing); Travis Henry (drug trafficing); Lawrence Phillips (drunk driving, assault); Art Schliester (gambling); Pacman Jones; Chris Henry; None of these guys helped their teams by being in jail.

And these are the big names who had issues - most where high draft picks or had some success. There are many more names of guys who had issues who didn't do well. Going back over 2010 draft - troubled characters like Chris Cook a phenom CB with a troubled past. Guiltly of assaulting his GF and some other issues. Can't recall any more names, but every year there are a dozen or so who drop due to character. And being that I don't remember their names, pretty much shows you that nothing became of them. One guy I can think of, but can't recall the name, was the Cincy LB. Had a great season last year despite not even getting drafted. At one time he was thought of as a 1st round pick.

Burfcit - or something.

Anyway - there is risk involved, and I don't think the returns are that big. And don't lump Charles Woodson in there. Questions about him where if he was a 'team player', he would work out with his own trainer in the offseason and skip OTAs. That is a far cry from multiple failed drug tests.

Vontaze Burfict. The difference is that Burfict wasn't a gangsta with a ton of baggage. He was projected as the top ILB at the start of the 2011 season and played very ho-hum and didn't have much of a Combine either. He said he was going to prove everyone wrong. Cincy picked him up as a 7th rounder I think, and he went on to do just that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ he was hosting a "party" for the draft, not a smart thing to tweet about when you know damn well that he is a trouble maker. Bet ya, beyond a doubt, that he could NOT pass a drug test after last nights draft party.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, in response to your comment about how we suddenly have to keep up with San Francisco, who before tonight, did nothing but sign a bunch of free agents.

Where did I say suddenly? I said we had to get better to overtake them then you went off on your own tangent.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts