Packers Need to Hit in This Draft

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't have Pot in Wisconsin?

NFL Team: "So, how many drug tests did you fail at LSU?"
Tyrann: "I stopped counting at 10."

No, thanks. Appreciate him being honest, maybe he has straightened out. But ****, you want to give a kid like that a couple hundred grand in his pocket and hope he keeps to the straight and narrow? If he has been sitting at home this past year thinking, rats, now I have to get a regular job. Is that motivation? Loving and wanting to dedicate his life to football wasn't enough motivation. And I think that is the level of motivation you need to succeed. He had to know that every joint was distancing himself from the sport. But he kept lighting it up. pass.

People make mistakes friend..especially kids.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People make mistakes friend..especially kids.

Sure, college kids can make mistakes. But, making the same mistake more than 10-times when he knows he's potentially costing himself his career aren't just mistakes - that's reckless and unaccountable behavior. As Amish said, no thanks.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, college kids can make mistakes. But, making the same mistake more than 10-times when he knows he's potentially costing himself his career aren't just mistakes - that's reckless and unaccountable behavior. As Amish said, no thanks.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone..then you are forced to change. that's the way i think. I think having football taken opened his eyes.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to ESPN the packers are the best drafting team since 1994 with 22 pro bowlers despite averaging the second lowest draft slot in the nfl.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone..then you are forced to change. that's the way i think. I think having football taken opened his eyes.
how do you know? you don't. And you are risking a draft pick and potentially millions of dollars. Can a person turn 180 and change a pattern held for the past 10 years? Yes, but its rare. It is far more likely he is more motivated to make a lot of money and he will revert to his old ways. The NFL is tough and you have to be very dedicated and focused. My guess is he doesn't make through his rookie contract.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To expect the 2013 to immediately have an impact, it would be nice, but I don't think we rely on them.

It's also unrealistic. Players, even those taken in the first round, should be allowed a minimum of three years to truly develop. Sometimes you'll get a guy that's a stud right away, but most times you get a guy who needs time.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how do you know? you don't. And you are risking a draft pick and potentially millions of dollars. Can a person turn 180 and change a pattern held for the past 10 years? Yes, but its rare. It is far more likely he is more motivated to make a lot of money and he will revert to his old ways. The NFL is tough and you have to be very dedicated and focused. My guess is he doesn't make through his rookie contract.

The Detroit lions select...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surely there are players on the team already that can step up and play more physical aren't there? I understand on the offense with the receivers and such, but I can't imagine members of our D wouldn't be up for hitting harder.

Yes, but the problem for some here is they're on OUR roster, and weren't acquired either via trade or free agency.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand this statement. Keep up with which rivals exactly? Did we suddenly start falling behind and losing to our division in March and April?

San Francisco and Atlanta right now are our two biggest rivals outside the division in the NFC. Almost anyone knows that. Unless you missed it we've lost to SF the last two times we played them including a nasty one in the playoffs. Yes we need to get better to overtake them.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Carradine is the #1 player I don't want in the first (Hunt and HB don't count because I have second round grades on them). Double R, I'll pass.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Francisco and Atlanta right now are our two biggest rivals outside the division in the NFC. Almost anyone knows that. Unless you missed it we've lost to SF the last two times we played them including a nasty one in the playoffs. Yes we need to get better to overtake them.

How is Atlanta our rivals? They won their first playoff game in forever last year - as a no. 1 seed - and then choked against SF. Let's settle down a little on this Falcons hype until they win more than one playoff game and Matty Ice actually deserves that nickname, instead of being a mini Tony Romo in the playoffs! Remember, we whooped that *** in 2010 on the road when ATL was a 1-seed.

The conference power rankings are:
1. SF
2. GB - SB in 2010, 26-6 record, division titles. Last two playoffs losses were to the eventual NFC Champs.
3. Seattle - On the up, but haven't proven anything yet. And their defensive signings do little to change that defense since Clemmons tore his ACL in the playoffs. Percy is a big upgrade no doubt. But, I'm not ready to annoint them yet.
4. Falcons - Perennial playoff choke-jobs.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is Atlanta our rivals? They won their first playoff game in forever last year - as a no. 1 seed - and then choked against SF. Let's settle down a little on this Falcons hype until they win more than one playoff game and Matty Ice actually deserves that nickname, instead of being a mini Tony Romo in the playoffs! Remember, we whooped that *** in 2010 on the road when ATL was a 1-seed.

The conference power rankings are:
1. SF
2. GB - SB in 2010, 26-6 record, division titles. Last two playoffs losses were to the eventual NFC Champs.
3. Seattle - On the up, but haven't proven anything yet. And their defensive signings do little to change that defense since Clemmons tore his ACL in the playoffs. Percy is a big upgrade no doubt. But, I'm not ready to annoint them yet.
4. Falcons - Perennial playoff choke-jobs.

And still others agree with me.:) I should have included the Seahawks along with SF and Atlanta.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...view-of-entire-league-heading-into-2013-draft

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And still others agree with me.:) I should have included the Seahawks along with SF and Atlanta.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...view-of-entire-league-heading-into-2013-draft

Most people agree with that sentiment by reacting to FA. Notice that bleacher report's basis for ranking the Seahawks so high was the addition of Avril, Bennett, and Winfield - yet, fails to mention that they lost Clemmons, who is much better than either of those DE's. Here's another way to think about those defensive signings - did Cliff Avril ever scare you when the Packers played them? And he was protected by Suh, Vander Boesch, and Fairly. He's just the "big-name" DE in FA, so most assume it's a huge upgrade for them.

Plus, I have little respect for Bleacher Report. It's an entity that got where it is by SEO tactics and driving up website hits by creating these annoying and worthless slideshows. The content and analysis is bare in my opinion. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has that opinion of BR (not to insinuate that you're wrong for citing them for your main proposition b/c BR isn't alone in that assessment).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be hard to hit on a draft this bad. 1 or 2 gems would be nice

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people agree with that sentiment by reacting to FA. Notice that bleacher report's basis for ranking the Seahawks so high was the addition of Avril, Bennett, and Winfield - yet, fails to mention that they lost Clemmons, who is much better than either of those DE's. Here's another way to think about those defensive signings - did Cliff Avril ever scare you when the Packers played them? And he was protected by Suh, Vander Boesch, and Fairly. He's just the "big-name" DE in FA, so most assume it's a huge upgrade for them.

Plus, I have little respect for Bleacher Report. It's an entity that got where it is by SEO tactics and driving up website hits by creating these annoying and worthless slideshows. The content and analysis is bare in my opinion. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that has that opinion of BR (not to insinuate that you're wrong for citing them for your main proposition b/c BR isn't alone in that assessment).

Well I like Breacher Report and agree with their assessment in this instance. I think the reasoning they gave for their rankings is sound. Anyway, here's some other power ranking lists I'm also sure you will disagree with. ;) All are remarkably consistent btw.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/24/4260774/nfl-power-rankings-2013-49ers-seahawks-broncos

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I like Breacher Report and agree with their assessment in this instance. I think the reasoning they gave for their rankings is sound. Anyway, here's some other power ranking lists I'm also sure you will disagree with. ;) All are remarkably consistent btw.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/24/4260774/nfl-power-rankings-2013-49ers-seahawks-broncos

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence what[so]ever that it is not utterly absurd." ;)

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I like Breacher Report

They completely lost me this offseason when they advocated than the Packers should switch to the 4-3. It wasn't the suggestion, it was that Pickett should be the 3-technique and Raji the nose in a 4-3. The exact opposite of what any sane person would do.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence what[so]ever that it is not utterly absurd." ;)

Clever. :tup: Here's another one for you:

A dissenting minority feels free only when it can impose its will on the majority: what it abominates most is the dissent of the majority.
Eric Hoffer

;)

Point: I've given you a number of sources that refute your self-opinionated power rankings. What else you got?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They completely lost me this offseason when they advocated than the Packers should switch to the 4-3. It wasn't the suggestion, it was that Pickett should be the 3-technique and Raji the nose in a 4-3. The exact opposite of what any sane person would do.
Isn't bleacher report set up so that anyone can publish an article? I have read some pretty outlandish stuff on there that not only appeared to be written with the journalistic skills of an 8th grader, the level of football understanding was even less. I do recall one article suggesting the the NFL needed to revise their trade value chart to take into account the new CBA. I believe the author was under the impression that all trades had to be made to some standard in relation to the trade value chart, and the NFL was responsible for establishing it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't have Pot in Wisconsin?

NFL Team: "So, how many drug tests did you fail at LSU?"
Tyrann: "I stopped counting at 10."

No, thanks. Appreciate him being honest, maybe he has straightened out. But ****, you want to give a kid like that a couple hundred grand in his pocket and hope he keeps to the straight and narrow? If he has been sitting at home this past year thinking, rats, now I have to get a regular job. Is that motivation? Loving and wanting to dedicate his life to football wasn't enough motivation. And I think that is the level of motivation you need to succeed. He had to know that every joint was distancing himself from the sport. But he kept lighting it up. pass.

Yeah, just send him on up to Chequamegon Forest and he'll be like a kid in a... giant pot growing forest!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no interest in hunt. Great story, but a 26 yr old project in the first round? I'll pass. (Maybe someday well revisit this thread and I can laugh at myself if I was extremely wrong)

I honestly really like Margus Hunt and think he has TT written all over him. Teddy loves shopping for cars with dingers in them. Get the kids who have some sort of mark against them that deflates there value and see what happens. Aaron Rodgers was a Tedford product. Finley was too young, Matthews barely saw the field, Collins was a small school product, Jennings was a mid major receiver without any special physical traits, and Raji had a pot flag, and Nelson was too white. Hunt might currently be 25 but he hasn't played much football, there's very little wear on his tires and quite frankly guys with his physical attributes tend to age pretty well. Will he be a liability at 33 years of age when he's running a 4.9 forty and has a broad jump of 9 1/2 feet instead his current 4.5 forty and 10 foot broad jump?

Hunt is exactly what the Packers need at the position. He's brutally strong, he has the explosiveness and speed to get after the quarterback, the strength to push the pocket and he has great hands. Most importantly he has the strength and length to disengage when playing outside contain, and can get to the sidelines. I don't know about you guys but I didn't engage watching our husky Dlinemen huffing and puffing while they tried to chase down Kap.

Members online

Latest posts