Packers Need to Hit in This Draft

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with a 26-6 record and back-to-back NFC North titles, the Packers still have several areas of need. The last two playoffs losses clearly showed a team that isn't a playoff-ready team. Last year's emphasis on "fast-twitch" and "quick" guys on defense improved the paltry 2011 defense, but left the defense bare when it came time to smash-mouth playoff football. This draft is important to find players with a new-level of toughness to stabilize the defense.

Here is my take on the five most critical areas of need: http://wp.me/p29VCs-hd

Defensive line, MLB, S, WR/TE, and OL.

My first round prediction is Margus Hunt. You cannot teach his physical abilities and his promise is tantalizing. My sleeper pick is Matt Elam. And my dream selection is Tank Carradine (I'm definitely falling for the hype. But, he looks like he'll be a beast.)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contrary to some peoples' beliefs, most of us agree that the team definitely has needs. Of course, we all tend to differ about whether that should be primarily filled through free agency or the draft. I have no issues with your list of needs unless that is your order of need.

The only position that I would toss in there, if it is warranted is a FG kicker with a low pick. That's always a touchy proposition though as I'm just as big a believer in the UDFA method of finding kickers. My guess is that Crosby is in a place where they won't draft a FG kicker, but will bring in camp competition.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every season since Thompson has been GM, at least one person has described it as a 'critical', 'pivotal', or 'crucial' draft for the success of the Packers. Well, they are all correct. When you build by draft and develop they are all important, but no one draft is any more important than the rest of them, and none are vital to the success of the next season. There are players on the roster who we drafted, but are still in the 'develop' phase. There will be players from the 2012 draft, 2011 draft, and even earlier who are going to take the step and provide an impact to our team. Thats how it works. To expect the 2013 to immediately have an impact, it would be nice, but I don't think we rely on them.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The only position that I would toss in there, if it is warranted is a FG kicker with a low pick. That's always a touchy proposition though as I'm just as big a believer in the UDFA method of finding kickers. My guess is that Crosby is in a place where they won't draft a FG kicker, but will bring in camp competition.
This just in: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-sign-K-Giorgio-Tavecchio/03c90a2a-92b5-4a18-bfb6-22c0a3b18522 That would have been a good guess before March 26th.;)

AmishMafia hit the main point IMO - I'm waiting for a pre-draft thread titled, "This draft doesn't really matter."

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant disagree with Amish anywhere in that post. Every draft is just as important as the one before and the one in front of it for a draft and develop team. This year is no exception to that rule.

As far as adding more "toughness" I agree to an extent. Drafting Margus Hunt in the first round pushes over that extent. The packers are a finesse football team there is no way around that. The top talent in our conference plays on the polar opposite of that scale. Unfortunately the "Cant Beat em??? Join em!!" mentality has taken over for some fans. Adding a huge reach draft pick just because they are tough is not what is going to make this football team better. Do we need some guys willing to lay the wood on D. Hell yeah. Do we need a team of Atari Bigby Running around with no idea what is going on besides trying to missile someone.Hell no.

My point being if we can find a player or two who adds some beef up front. Hopefully some toughness too. But find a guy or two at picks that have good value. Dont just draft every tough guy you can just because we got pounded by AP twice and the 49ers twice.

I personally think that the most important thing the Packers can hope to do in this draft is strike some balance on the Offensive side of the ball. Whether that means a RB in the first 3 rounds or a few new bodies for the OL im not sure yet. But I think if the Packers can run the ball effectively it will have a very positive effect not only on the offense but on a D that doesnt need to play 40 mins a game because we either score or go 3 and out right away.

Give me back our LB corps we should have had last year I mean we lost 2 of our most physical guys there with Bishop and Perry. Give me another year of Neal, Daniels, and hopefully worthy getting better and I feel like our D is plenty tough. Strike balance on the offensive side of the ball and you have a Championship caliber team.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Surely there are players on the team already that can step up and play more physical aren't there? I understand on the offense with the receivers and such, but I can't imagine members of our D wouldn't be up for hitting harder.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be shocked in TT drafts a RB before the last few rounds. I think Harris showed a lot in limited action and deserves the chance to start. And with Starks and Green, the run game can be effective if Harris builds off last year. Plus, if the run game doesn't look like it's improved, they can always resign Cedric prior to training camp. The bottom line is we are not a running team and that's by design.

Now with that being said, I'm all for taking a flyer on Marcus Lattimore given his upside :). And, yes, I know. I am wrought with contradictions by saying that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I will be shocked in TT drafts a RB before the last few rounds. I think Harris showed a lot in limited action and deserves the chance to start. And with Starks and Green, the run game can be effective if Harris builds off last year. Plus, if the run game doesn't look like it's improved, they can always resign Cedric prior to training camp. The bottom line is we are not a running team and that's by design.

Now with that being said, I'm all for taking a flyer on Marcus Lattimore given his upside :). And, yes, I know. I am wrought with contradictions by saying that.

I wish we had an aggree and disagree button combo...lol, I like your first part, but lattimore is way to much of a gamble even if he is a later round pick....we could use that pick for something a little more needed than a busted up college player.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish we had an aggree and disagree button combo...lol, I like your first part, but lattimore is way to much of a gamble even if he is a later round pick....we could use that pick for something a little more needed than a busted up college player.

Ever hear of Frank Gore? he was a busted up college player to. It wouldn't kill us to take him in the later rounds if he's still available. He's a good guy and works hard.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever hear of Frank Gore? he was a busted up college player to. It wouldn't kill us to take him in the later rounds if he's still available. He's a good guy and works hard.
The likelihood of a 7th round pick helping us, is pretty slim already.

I typed the above, and then I brought up all the Packer 7th round picks under TT to show how unlikely they were to help. Here's the list:

Matt Flynn
C.J. Wilson
Brad Jones
Taylor, Ryan
Brett Swain
DeShawn Wynn
William Whitticker

Dave Tollefson
Guy, Lawrence
Kurt Campbell
Clark Harris

Andrew Datko
B.J. Coleman

Bottom 2 are last year and its not fair to judge them just yet. Middle group are players, I don't think they played a down for us.

Top list are players who played and helped the team. They range from Whitticker who started a bunch of games as a rookie (he sucked - but hey, starting as a rookie is impressive) to Flynn, Wilson, and Jones, who all turned into pretty good players. DeShawn Wynn and Swain both had their moments - and Ryan Taylor still may evolve.

Anyhow, that is a pretty good list of players and I have to say, 7th round picks have a decent shot at contributing and we shouldn't necessarily waste them. That being said, the risk vrs reward for a player like Lattimore is compelling. Yes, I give him a 10% chance of having a career of any length, but if he does make it, he could be pretty good.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only problem with busted up college guys, is that the jackals on this forum crucify TT and the training staff when our guys get injured. I find it interesting that at draft day we are all about taking chances - first pick or last pick. At the end of the season when everyone is banged up, we want to fire the team doctors. Sheesh!

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The likelihood of a 7th round pick helping us, is pretty slim already.

I typed the above, and then I brought up all the Packer 7th round picks under TT to show how unlikely they were to help. Here's the list:

Matt Flynn
C.J. Wilson
Brad Jones
Taylor, Ryan
Brett Swain
DeShawn Wynn
William Whitticker

Dave Tollefson
Guy, Lawrence
Kurt Campbell
Clark Harris

Andrew Datko
B.J. Coleman

Bottom 2 are last year and its not fair to judge them just yet. Middle group are players, I don't think they played a down for us.

Top list are players who played and helped the team. They range from Whitticker who started a bunch of games as a rookie (he sucked - but hey, starting as a rookie is impressive) to Flynn, Wilson, and Jones, who all turned into pretty good players. DeShawn Wynn and Swain both had their moments - and Ryan Taylor still may evolve.

Anyhow, that is a pretty good list of players and I have to say, 7th round picks have a decent shot at contributing and we shouldn't necessarily waste them. That being said, the risk vrs reward for a player like Lattimore is compelling. Yes, I give him a 10% chance of having a career of any length, but if he does make it, he could be pretty good.

Good work. We actually did a piece last year on TT's drafting prowess where we rated each player selected on a 0-6 scale with 3 being an average starter - i.e. Hawk. (http://wp.me/p29VCs-7I)

We are in the process of updating the analysis this year and doing it for every team. We plan to publish it soon after the draft. In any event, with updated rankings, TT has a very good track record for 6th and 7th round picks, averaging a 2 and 1.72 respectively. Overall, TT hits (meaning drafts a starter or better) on 40% of his selections, one of the best marks in the NFC. Like I said, we'll publish the updated version later. But take a look at last year's analysis to see what I'm talking about too.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with a 26-6 record and back-to-back NFC North titles, the Packers still have several areas of need. The last two playoffs losses clearly showed a team that isn't a playoff-ready team. Last year's emphasis on "fast-twitch" and "quick" guys on defense improved the paltry 2011 defense, but left the defense bare when it came time to smash-mouth playoff football. This draft is important to find players with a new-level of toughness to stabilize the defense.

Here is my take on the five most critical areas of need: http://wp.me/p29VCs-hd

Defensive line, MLB, S, WR/TE, and OL.

My first round prediction is Margus Hunt. You cannot teach his physical abilities and his promise is tantalizing. My sleeper pick is Matt Elam. And my dream selection is Tank Carradine (I'm definitely falling for the hype. But, he looks like he'll be a beast.)

I have no interest in hunt. Great story, but a 26 yr old project in the first round? I'll pass. (Maybe someday well revisit this thread and I can laugh at myself if I was extremely wrong)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is Lattimore would be the #1 rb in this draft had he not got injured...but it's a bad ideal to take him with a 6th or 7th round pick??? i disagree. The reward risk is higher imo.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SF struck out last season on their draft as far as picks go when it comes to impact.

I think while every draft is important and it's always a bonus to see someone contribute right away, I am more looking towards last years draft class for improvement to carry us to the next level than I am impact rookies

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were 16th in the league in passing attempts last season and 16th in rushing attempts.

I think that's pretty balanced.

MM's thing has always been trying to be "balanced" so that doesn't shock me. However just because you are trying to have balance doesn't equal production. Teams still don't respect our run game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SF struck out last season on their draft as far as picks go when it comes to impact.

I think while every draft is important and it's always a bonus to see someone contribute right away, I am more looking towards last years draft class for improvement to carry us to the next level than I am impact rookies

Draft the Honey Badger!!! he will help right away!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM's thing has always been trying to be "balanced" so that doesn't shock me. However just because you are trying to have balance doesn't equal production. Teams still don't respect our run game.

Sure but it isn't a balance problem

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft the Honey Badger!!! he will help right away!!

There are about 5 major names in the draft with huge red flags that are intriguing. He's one of them. None of them would shock me if they succeed but if they didn't everyone would look at Ted and go "what the hell were you thinking?"

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are about 5 major names in the draft with huge red flags that are intriguing. He's one of them. None of them would shock me if they succeed but if they didn't everyone would look at Ted and go "what the hell were you thinking?"

I honestly think he's turned the curve in his life, besides how much trouble could he get into in Green Bay?? like really?? haha. Hunting out of season?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think he's turned the curve in his life, besides how much trouble could he get into in Green Bay?? like really?? haha. Hunting out of season?

Milwaukee fits his personality.

2 offensive linemen before the Favre era lived out of town and spent their money buying pet black bears. Team security was less than thrilled with them.

Reaction score
Still saying we need to build a Time Machine .... go into the future, see who becomes a Hit/Bust - come back to today, give Ted the list of players we need to get.... go get 'em, watch draft guys like Kiper criticize us for drafting some 7th rd graded player in the 2nd rd, see that guy become a Pro Bowler - then see everyone go like, "Wow - That Ted guy is a genius!"

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't have Pot in Wisconsin?

NFL Team: "So, how many drug tests did you fail at LSU?"
Tyrann: "I stopped counting at 10."

No, thanks. Appreciate him being honest, maybe he has straightened out. But ****, you want to give a kid like that a couple hundred grand in his pocket and hope he keeps to the straight and narrow? If he has been sitting at home this past year thinking, rats, now I have to get a regular job. Is that motivation? Loving and wanting to dedicate his life to football wasn't enough motivation. And I think that is the level of motivation you need to succeed. He had to know that every joint was distancing himself from the sport. But he kept lighting it up. pass.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts