Packers mock draft update on scout.com

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers mock draft update
Bob Fox
PackerReport.com Apr 2, 2006

Look for Packers to trade down in first round to gather more picks

The 2006 NFL draft is now less than one month away. Things seem to still be changing on a daily basis due to trades, free agency moves, compensatory draft picks and Pro Day workouts, so here's an updated Green Bay Packers mock draft.

The Packers now have seven overall picks as they were awarded two additional compensatory picks by the NFL this last week. Green Bay now has picks in each of the first five rounds, plus the extra picks in the fifth and one in the seventh.

Who the Packers will select in the draft is still a question as the team will most likely sign a couple of free agents before the draft. CB Charles Woodson might be a Packer by this time next week. If not Woodson, than possibly CB Ahmed Plummer. LB Barrett Green has been mentioned as a possibility. LB Nick Greisen is still out there as well.

The Packers continue to wait for Brett Favre to give his official confirmation that he will be coming back for the 2006 season. I am firmly convinced that Favre will return. Favre last week sent some not-so-subtle hints to General Manager Ted Thompson to be aggressive in upgrading the talent on the roster. Favre said, "I still feel like I can play at a high level and obviously the Packers do, too, or they wouldn't be concerned about my decision," Favre said. "But there are some things I have to sort out. There are some things I'm looking for in the team and what they're trying to do. I guess if those don't come together, I guess I won't play. It's just kind of wait and see."

If that's the case, then Brett is going to LOVE this draft.

My selections are not to make Favre happy. Football is a three part sport - offense, defense and special teams. The good teams are solid in all three areas. The great teams dominate in all three areas. The 1996 Green Bay Packers were that type of great team. In fact, they were the BEST in all three phases of the game that year in the NFL. That is how a team wins Super Bowls. That is the way I approached this draft.

I also expect the Packers to trade down a couple of times to gain additional draft choices. One rumor I keep hearing is the infatuation Al Davis has for QB Vince Young. The Packers might have a solid option of moving down just two spots, plus pick up an additional second round pick. Davis wants Young that badly for the Raiders. He doesn't want anyone jumping over Oakland to steal Young.

The Packers want DE Mario Williams badly, but it looks like he will be drafted before the fifth pick, so this trade makes sense. I will use that scenario for this draft. I also believe the team will then trade down out of one of their second round picks and pick up an additional third round pick. With that being said, here we go:

1) Vernon Davis - TE (Maryland)
The Packers will have a tough choice at the seventh spot. The team still might have an option to pick linebacker A.J. Hawk here. I would still take Davis for many reasons. Again, go back to the 1996 Packers. The Packers ran a lot of two TE formations very successfully. Davis and Bubba Franks would be very similar to Keith Jackson and Mark Chmura. Brett Favre had his best seasons with this type of offense. Head coach Mike McCarthy is committed to utilizing the TE position as the Green Bay Press Gazette, "It’s critical to what we do," McCarthy said. "You have to be able to attack the middle of the field."

Davis can certainly do that and also stretch the defense. He is a man among boys at the position. Davis has a rare combination of speed, size and strength. The drafting of Davis would also minimize the issues about depth at the WR position. I think you would see a lot more two TE formations comparative to three or four WR sets. The Javon Walker soap opera wouldn't seem so severe with the addition of Davis.

2a) Bobby Carpenter - LB (Ohio State)
Carpenter doesn't get the pub that fellow Buckeye LB Hawk gets, but he's very good. Carpenter has a great size and speed combination as well.

Carpenter has the type of ability to be a three down linebacker. Plays the pass very well. Carpenter matches up very well over the TE position. Carpenter is solid against the run and also can blitz well from the edge. Carpenter would be an instant starter.

2b) Brian Calhoun - RB (Wisconsin)
Calhoun is the perfect back for the West Coast offense. He is not only a gifted running back, but Calhoun catches the ball extremely well. He is one of those backs that never seems to take a big hit and can hit the home run at any time.

Calhoun could fill in immediately as a third down back. The Packers did re-sign both Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport to one year deals, but both are coming off serious injuries and won't be ready until training camp. The Packers also have Samkon Gado who showed some flashes last year, but he also is coming off an injury.

Calhoun could be the long term answer at running back, but for now he would be a change of pace back that could also be utilized in the passing game similar to how the Eagles use Brian Westbrook.

3a) Stanley McClover - DE (Auburn)
McClover has decent size at 6-3 and 260 pounds. But he also has dazzling speed and an explosive first move as a pass rusher. McClover would be an excellent option for the Packers on passing downs, as he could be teamed with Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins for getting pressure on the quarterback. McClover also has the propensity to cause turnovers as he jars the ball loose often from unsuspecting QBs. McClover needs to get stronger, but hard work is one of his attributes.

3b) Devin Hester - KR/WR/CB (Miami)
Hester is probably the most dangerous kick/punt returner to come into the NFL in years. All Hester needs is the slightest crack and he is gone. Hester will most likely get a shot at WR as well, although he also played CB at Miami. The Packers have needs in both areas. I believe Hester would be a great slot WR that could take short hitches, quick slants and wide receiver screens to the house. Hester will elevate not only the special teams, but also offense and defense because of his ability to alter field position.

4) Marcus Maxey - CB (Miami)
Maxey has nice size at 6-foot-2, 195 pounds. Has very good speed as well. Plays tall wide receivers very well. Is a solid tackler in the run game. Maxey needs to work on his technique, but his outstanding athletic ability should help improve that part of his game. Even if the Packers sign Woodson, this pick makes sense due to the age of Woodson and also CB Al Harris.

5a) Mark Setterstrom- G (Minnesota)
Setterstrom has a very solid history in the zone blocking scheme. He is a good athlete that is an excellent technician. Setterstrom is very quick to the block and he can angle off defenders effectively. Setterstrom needs to get stronger, but has an intriguing future in the NFL. I also expect that the Packers will start either Kevin Barry or Mark Tauscher at one of the guard positions, with the other the starting right tackle.

5b) Drew Olson - QB (UCLA)
Olson is lasting this late only because of injury concerns. Olson suffered a serious knee injury his junior year, but bounced back nicely with a very solid senior season. Olson has excellent arm strength and can make all the NFL throws. Olson also sees the field well and is not as immobile as some will report. Because of Favre's looming retirement and the defection of Craig Nall to Buffalo, this pick needs to be made.

7) Cameron Vaughn -LB (LSU)
Vaughn can play inside or outside. He would be an immediate upgrade to the special teams. The former Tiger has excellent size as well. He also has a non-stop motor and never quits on a play. Vaughn would give badly needed versatility and depth to the linebacker position for the Packers.

Note: Bob Fox is a longtime Packers fan and frequent contributor to PackerReport.com. E-mail him at [email protected].

If Al Davis is willing to throw away an early 2nd rounder to get Vince Young, we have to let him do it. 8)

The more I think about Vernon Davis in a Packer uniform, the more excited I get. This guy is a beast. I like A.J. Hawk too, but there are so many good LBs in this draft, it's ridiculous. I would be very happy if these were our picks this year. We still need a kicker though....Cundiff sucks.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 guard?

and in the 5TH round?

Dont get me wrong, I like V.D.(hehehehehe) and Clahoun,etc

but we need line help.

Interesthing take though, very interesting. good find, ahaug

(If we got V.D.(hehe) we would have V.D, FRANKS, and Donald Lee. thats some killer TEs)

OP
OP
G

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
1 guard?

and in the 5TH round?

but we need line help.

(If we got V.D.(hehe) we would have V.D, FRANKS, and Donald Lee. thats some killer TEs)

I agree, we need some help on the O-Line... but I found this interesting....
tromadz said:
Offensive Linemen acquisition strategy explained!! PLUS - GB's OC scouted Coston while in Atlanta?

packersnews.com:

In their new zone-blocking scheme, they’re looking for smaller, more agile niche players who might not be as highly regarded by other clubs. Thus, as the offseason goes on, they might come across other guards who are released who might fit their scheme.

Coston might be a young player to keep an eye on. New offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski had targeted him as a late-round prospect for Atlanta’s zone-blocking scheme while he was scouting last year’s draft as the Falcons’ offensive line coach. The Packers drafted Coston in the fifth round.
---------------------------------------------

This is why I have been saying the June cuts are going to be very important.

8)

EDIT: Oh yeah... VD!! Haha, I can't believe I didn't think of that before... there's another reason to draft him!! :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
tromadz said:
1 guard?

and in the 5TH round?

but we need line help.

I agree, we need some help on the O-Line... but I found this interesting....
tromadz said:
Offensive Linemen acquisition strategy explained!! PLUS - GB's OC scouted Coston while in Atlanta?

packersnews.com:

In their new zone-blocking scheme, they’re looking for smaller, more agile niche players who might not be as highly regarded by other clubs. Thus, as the offseason goes on, they might come across other guards who are released who might fit their scheme.

Coston might be a young player to keep an eye on. New offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski had targeted him as a late-round prospect for Atlanta’s zone-blocking scheme while he was scouting last year’s draft as the Falcons’ offensive line coach. The Packers drafted Coston in the fifth round.
---------------------------------------------

This is why I have been saying the June cuts are going to be very important.

8)

EDIT: Oh yeah... VD!! Haha, I can't believe I didn't think of that before... there's another reason to draft him!! :lol:

touche, salesman.

(Im just a TAD worried if we're gonna put our eggs in the [unproven] coston basket, but it IS promising!)

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do the Packers have enough draft picks?
No Ted will do something he is comfortable doing, trade down.

Let's look at the choices and assume Williams, Bush, Ferguson, Lienart, are gone.

The best player on the board is Hawk and he fills a high need. However there are other good LB's in this draft and the Packers need more picks. So they trade down. Likely with AZ who has a high pick but after the great impact players are gone.
Add the Cardinals second round pick.

What is available at #10? probably the second best of everything except WR. Do you pick WR or trade down again? This is too early for the best receiver. Teams want the second best OT, DT, maybe RB or QB. Teams who will move are Denver at #15 or Dallas at #18. I think it is the Cowboys and the Packers get another second round pick.

Who is available at #18?
Chad Greenway 6' 2.5" 242 4.72 speed. Not as fast as Hawk but # 5 overall is too valuable for just one player. Starter as rookie. Taylor and Thomas battle for other spot. If not available take Carpenter.

Pick # 37 5th in the 2nd round.
Davin Joseph OG/OT Oklahoma 6' 2" 305 best OG in the draft. Taken a bit early but you don't want to let this guy get away. Immediate starter at OG and solid #3 OT

Pick # 40 10th in the 2nd round.
Dereck Hagan WR Arizona State 6' 2" 200. 4.4 speed. Big receiver with a lot of up side.
Will work his way up the depth chart and will likely start in 2007.

Pick # 48 18th in the 2nd round.
Rod Wright DT Texas 6' 5" 303 5.06 speed. He will provide the inside push the Packers need. Very disruptive. May not be a goal line stand guy against the run right away but certainly in on pass downs. Nice addition to the rotation.

Pick # 67 3rd in the 3rd round.
Hank Baskett. WR New Mexico 6' 3" 225 4.5 speed. Big receiver that with Hagan will mean the departure of Walker soon and likely Ferguson before opening day 2007. One of the two receivers will be the new return man.

Pick # 104 7th pick 4th round
Dave Thomas TE Texas 6' 3" 245 4.65 speed. Solid #2 TE for some time. Better receiver than blocker he led Texas in receptions.

Pick # 139 6th pick in 5th round
Matt Bernstein FB Wisconsin 6' 2" 266 4.9 speed Heir apparent to Henderson. Big but may be too slow for the Pro game. If not Bernstein, best available FB. Beats out Leach.

Pick # 165 32nd in 5th round
Josh Huston PK Ohio State 6' 1" 190 4.97 speed
The Packers need a kicker and Cundiff is not the answer. Could be a long term solution at kicker and is cheaper than Cundiff.

Pick #253 45th pick of the 7th round.
Paul Pingar QB Fresno State 6' 5" 232 5.2 speed.
Not a runner and not a great arm but a WCO type QB. Has intelligence and some leadership. A QB project who may be on the practice squad.

There is my mock draft if I was Ted. No CB but certainly a draft of high picks that improves the team. They could all make the team(except maybe the QB) especially if Walker is traded.

Starting LB, OG, Kicker.
Solid pass rush DT, #2TE, 2 big receivers, future FB. Possibly a #3 QB.

Playoffs?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but there's never been a volcano in Quahog... yeah vernon davis is a rare talent and i'd be happy to pick him up, and luckily this year is deeeeeep with great LB's.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These mock drafts are always laughable. The Packers will not take a third of those guys. The problem is unless your Mel Kiper your mock draft never figures in Div. 2 and smaller schools. There are tons of kids that get drafted from these unheralded schools.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like this draft. Favre never was any better when he had BOTH Jackson and Chmura at TE. Jackson could break the big plays and Chewey would get the short and medium yardage plays. And BOTH were big red zone threats. I could see the same thing here with Vernon Davis and Bubba. I also liked the Carpenter & Calhoun picks, but I really love the Hester pick. The guy is simply a game changer. All aspects of the game, offense, defense and special teams improve with a guy like that. As far as picking more than one guard in the draft, I also agree with the writer that either Tauscher or Barry will start at one of the guard spots, while the other will be the starting right tackle.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers need to draft a kicker. They can sign one right after the draft. It is not a good year for kickers in the draft. I wouldn't waste a draft choice. Right now the Packers have Cundiff at least through the mini-camps. He is adequate. Yes, he needs to be more consistent on FGs, but he is VERY solid on kickoffs. Paul Edinger is still out there as well. Plus, every year a pretty good kicker gets released at the end of training camp. If the Packers don't have their kicking game sorted out by that time, they could always pick up a decent kicker that way.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time the Packers drafted a kicker, he bombed, and they went with an undrafted FA who had been released by another team. That was Longwell. You can always find kickers.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1 - AJ Hawk - No brainer for me. Hawk and Barnett together would be awesome! Pure athlete, tough as nails!

Round 2 - Nick Mangold C Ohio State - I would like to see a Guard at this spot but the only 2 that would be worth this pick are Jean-Gilles and Lutui but I don't think either one of them fit the mold for what we are looking for in the zone-blocking scheme. If Mangold is gone I think Lutui is a better pick.

Round 3 - Kevin Boothe OG Cornell - I know this may be a reach but this guy is an animal. Very Quick OG and would fit perfectly in the Zone Blocking Scheme.

Round 4 - Devin Aromashodu WR Auburn - Good size with a nice "Burst." Would be a nice Deep Threat and is also one of the top kick returners available. Would fill the KR position instantly.

Round 5A - Tim Day TE Oregon - Good Size and will make the amazing catch from time to time.

Round 5B - Chris Gocong DE Cal Poly - Underrated DE with a knack of getting to the ball

Round 6 - Reuben Houston CB Georgia Tech - Physical cover man and solid Tackler. If we sign Woodson I would go Guard here.

Round 7A - Chris Kuper OG North Dakota - Raw and Nasty. Definitely needs to be refined but could be a late round gem

Round 7B - Kent Smith - QB Central Michigan - Very Raw but is mobile. Fills the need as a third QB.

Members online

Latest posts