Packers might get another shot at Jenkins

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the people (not singling you out here, Phil. There are many who share your opinion) who say:

Ted is too proud/arrogant/egotistical to fill in the blank

when have you ever seen any behavior to back that up? Thompson is the coldest son of a ***** in the league. He doesn't care about ego. He only cares about winning. And not just winning now, but winning and winning and winning and winning...

If he thought that the best way to win was to cut his own mother, he'd do it. Then if she got cut by her next team and he could sign her back up on the cheap to make the team better, he'd do that too. You can't have pride if you don't have emotions, and Ted has no emotions. You're gonna tell me that this man
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

is capable of actual human emotion? Puh-lease! There is no pride, only winning.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
When I said the Packers didn't offer him anything it was direct and to the point. They never even made and offer considering he was willing to stay for less. So let's put his leaving on who's responsible. Green Bay's front office and not the player.

Jenkins went to the Packers before the 2010 season and told them he was willing to take a hometown discount as part of a contract extension and got a thanks-but-no-thanks response. When the lockout ended and free agency began, he said his agents spoke with the Packers “a couple times” but that the team never made any effort to re-sign him, even when the free-agent market wasn’t as big for him as expected.

“I believe they spoke with my agents a couple times about just seeing what was going on with us and asking questions. To my knowledge, that was the only thing,” Jenkins said. “There was no effort to bring us back. My agent even tried to reach out to them during the time we were allowed to talk and tried to get them to offer me. But only two teams actually offered me: The Eagles and the (New Orleans) Saints.”

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/01/18/12_Jenkins:_'You_kind_of_move_on'/401?feed=2

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing responsibility wasn't the point of my post. I was commenting on how I doubt he'd want to come back because he felt disrespected by the organization.

And I did say that what he wanted was an extension, and when he didn't get it, he felt disrespected.

Maybe they were gonna let him see what he got on the market, like they did with James Jones. The difference with those two guys is that Jones got little or no interest in the open market and eventually signed with the Packers. Jenkins signed with the Eagles very early on in the process. We don't know whether the Packers would've made an attempt to sign him later, probably for much less than he wanted. The Packers made a decision on how to move forward and here we are. Nobody's disagreeing with your general argument.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Placing responsibility wasn't the point of my post. I was commenting on how I doubt he'd want to come back because he felt disrespected by the organization.

And I did say that what he wanted was an extension, and when he didn't get it, he felt disrespected, so he made up his mind to play somewhere else, so....
Just making it clear for all that Jenkins didn't have a choice in the matter. For those that might think he did.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I don't see this happening. I think he's bitter he didn't get a good offer from the Packers (though TT did say he gave him an offer at one point last year), and TT doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would go back on his decision to basically go with Neal over Jenkins (he probably offered Jenks a short term deal for not a lot of money).

Also it's very possible the Eagles keep him...he had a very good year.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You know. TT came in here and in 5 short years built a championship team. Not just a one and done Championship Team but one that will be a contender for many years. His philosophy is draft and develop. Neal didn't work out this year, that doesn't mean he won't next year. TT and MM must see something in him.

Sometimes things don't always go as planned but I have faith in his system. It worked in Seattle and it's working here. It's the same system the Steelers use. You can only keep so many men on your roster and you have only so much cap room. The NFL is also a youth movement, Jenkins was getting a little injury prone.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers had 16 games to fix things internally with what they had on defense. If anything things got worse as the season wore on. If the Packers or anyone else think things can be fixed without some additions on the defensive side they are smoking crack.

D

Dan115

The Packers had 16 games to fix things internally with what they had on defense. If anything things got worse as the season wore on. If the Packers or anyone else think things can be fixed without some additions on the defensive side they are smoking crack.

TED will make some additions that is for sure.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Jenkins good? Packers signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2003. He got cut by the Packers at least once, maybe twice. I think he spent a year on the practice squad. He spent a year in NFL Europe also. Took him till his 5th season, 2007, to become the starter. First few years he was a fringe player.

He developed - so why can't Wynn, Wilson, or Neal take a step up and improve to be a good player also?

Ted will make additions, but there is a good bet the 'knee jerk' crowd will be disappointed when its only a 4th round draft pick or something.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Jenkins good? Packers signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2003. He got cut by the Packers at least once, maybe twice. I think he spent a year on the practice squad. He spent a year in NFL Europe also. Took him till his 5th season, 2007, to become the starter. First few years he was a fringe player.

He developed - so why can't Wynn, Wilson, or Neal take a step up and improve to be a good player also?

Ted will make additions, but there is a good bet the 'knee jerk' crowd will be disappointed when its only a 4th round draft pick or something.
Damn right Jenkins played good for us. Doesn't make a crap how we signed him it is how he played. Those double teams Matthews got this year Jenkins consumed. I said back in July it was a huge mistake to let Jenkins go and got a lot of flax here for taking that position. But how many sacks did his replacements get? Where was any rush from them? So you want to put your stock in Wynn, Wilson, or Neal. Not me pal. Haven't seen anything to indicate they are anything but ordinary. Neal can't stay out of sick bay and the others are just guys and always will be.

But let's continue. Pephrah is so limited physically, he couldn't learn to tackle in a millenium. We have no answer at the other LB spot. Woodson shows cracks in his play. And as stated there is nothing to hope for at DE on the current roster.

If you followed my posts during the season you will see that what I'm saying now is no different than what I've said since training camp. Knee jerk reaction I think not but then neither am I a polllyanna.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn right Jenkins played good for us. Doesn't make a crap how we signed him it is how he played. Those double teams Matthews got this year Jenkins consumed. I said back in July it was a huge mistake to let Jenkins go and got a lot of flax here for taking that position. But how many sacks did his replacements get? Where was any rush from them? So you want to put your stock in Wynn, Wilson, or Neal. Not me pal. Haven't seen anything to indicate they are anything but ordinary. Neal can't stay out of sick bay and the others are just guys and always will be.

But let's continue. Pephrah is so limited physically, he couldn't learn to tackle in a millenium. We have no answer at the other LB spot. Woodson shows cracks in his play. And as stated there is nothing to hope for at DE on the current roster.

If you followed my posts during the season you will see that what I'm saying now is no different than what I've said since training camp. Knee jerk reaction I think not but then neither am I a polllyanna.

Congrats. I am one who thought we shouldn't resign him an now I think it was a mistake. Oh well. I don't blame TT - he is followingg the formula that has given us the best roster in the NFL.

What I was saying, that you have missed is that at one time Jenkins was a fringe NFL player. At this stage in their careers Wynn, Wilson, and Neal have all done as well as or better than Jenkins at the same point of their career. So what makes you so sure none of them will improve? Don't tell me he's been injured. Jenkins has missed a lot of games too.
Don't say they don't have potential. Neal has the sky for a limit.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I congratulate TT for many of the great things he has done. In my opinion he makes mistakes and unlike some I don't overlook them.

I don't think history will repeat itself with the three you have faith in. As I said there is little to back up this confidence. You also have to remember that KJB was in front of Jenkins from 2004 to 2006 and lack of opportunity doesn't mean you aren't capable. In limited action in 2004 to 2006 he showed an ability to rush the passer. He had 7.5 sacks in 2004 and 2005. When Jenkins got the chance in the last game of 2006 he soared. None of the three Neal, Wynn, or Wilson have shown an iota of being able to move in and be a force like that. You can make somewhat of a case for Neal but the other two did absolutely nothing this season and the opportunity was golden for them.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't say I had confidence in them. You just made that up. What I'm questioning is your confidence in their failure.

Nobody thinks TT is perfect. But most realize that the system may cause holes in the roster, but every team has that. What the TT system does is creates a highly competitive championship caliber team. To complain about the flaws is like *****ing about a ferreri that someone gave you because the stick shift knob had a scratch on it. Enjoy the team and the dynasty that TT is building. We are the envy of the NFL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know. TT came in here and in 5 short years built a championship team. Not just a one and done Championship Team but one that will be a contender for many years. His philosophy is draft and develop. Neal didn't work out this year, that doesn't mean he won't next year. TT and MM must see something in him.

Sometimes things don't always go as planned but I have faith in his system. It worked in Seattle and it's working here. It's the same system the Steelers use. You can only keep so many men on your roster and you have only so much cap room. The NFL is also a youth movement, Jenkins was getting a little injury prone.
Like & enjoy...... but I still would like Cullen back.
True, I'd rather find ourselves a rookie JJ Watt/Justin Smith type of beast at DE who will be younger, cheaper, and hungrier.
How was JJ Watt delivering pizzas at one time and out of college?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the three Neal, Wynn, or Wilson have shown an iota of being able to move in and be a force like that. You can make somewhat of a case for Neal but the other two did absolutely nothing this season and the opportunity was golden for them.
Well-said.
I liked CJ Wilson in college, and he had a lot of sacks... but he and Wynn have been just guys. Nobody can say they've been better than just guys.
Getting to the QB from DE in a 3-4 is very hard to find.
Even the Steelers didn't really have that.... Aaron Smith wasn't the sacker.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't say I had confidence in them. You just made that up. What I'm questioning is your confidence in their failure.

Nobody thinks TT is perfect. But most realize that the system may cause holes in the roster, but every team has that. What the TT system does is creates a highly competitive championship caliber team. To complain about the flaws is like *****ing about a ferreri that someone gave you because the stick shift knob had a scratch on it. Enjoy the team and the dynasty that TT is building. We are the envy of the NFL.

Well what was this quote all about from you?

"He developed - so why can't Wynn, Wilson, or Neal take a step up and improve to be a good player also?"

And your analogy is silly and off the mark.

The scratch as you call it on our Ferrari won't be fixed by taking it to Maaco. With the 32nd ranked defense we have a Ford in place and it needs some serious "body" work.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to me that the Packers make too many offers to potential departing free agents until after the season is over. McCarthy told Finley and Wells he'd like to see them back. But I haven't seen anywhere that the organization has made them an offer. Other teams technically aren't allowed to contact Free Agents until March (but we know they do anyway).

Jenkins did want a deal before the season was over. He didn't get it and it appears the team was willing to let him walk. So Raptor, I believe there was a little impatience on his part because he wanted to test the waters to see who was going to offer him more money, then parlay that into discussions on a contract with the Packers. I thought it was ok to let him go considering his injury problems, but I'm also one who now agrees it would have been wise to keep him because he sure would have been better than what we had this year. I understand Jared Allen is a free agent, maybe TT should go after him.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
When a player offers a hometown discount to stay and the team never makes an offer it is a pretty good sign they no longer want you. I don't know why Ted would bring him back at this point at any price. And I don't know why he would want to come back to a team that didn't want him.

Croak, Allen is not a free agent, and even if he was, he is a 4-3 lineman not a 3-4. And Ted would never spend the kind of money it would take to sign him anyway.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
When a player offers a hometown discount to stay and the team never makes an offer it is a pretty good sign they no longer want you. I don't know why Ted would bring him back at this point at any price. And I don't know why he would want to come back to a team that didn't want him.

Croak, Allen is not a free agent, and even if he was, he is a 4-3 lineman not a 3-4. And Ted would never spend the kind of money it would take to sign him anyway.

We all heard from Jenkins that he offered the team a "hometown discount" but we never heard what the amount of the discount was. Was it based on what he *thought* he would be offered by other teams? We don't really know. But I'll bet he was eventually disappointed at the apparent lack of interest from other teams and ended up signing with Philly for peanuts.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the dynamic the lockout played last year either. There was no in-between time like there is every other year, between Super Bowl and when FA starts.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We all heard from Jenkins that he offered the team a "hometown discount" but we never heard what the amount of the discount was. Was it based on what he *thought* he would be offered by other teams? We don't really know. But I'll bet he was eventually disappointed at the apparent lack of interest from other teams and ended up signing with Philly for peanuts.

That is a great point..

Did Jenkins say I will sign for 23 million ( when he was getting 25 from Philly)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts