Packers Managment

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers & Oannes

How'd our team perform THE PREVIOUS TWO WEEKS? We struggled with both DETROIT and MINNESOTA (two horrendous teams) at HOME, no less, and you draw conclusions from ONE absolutely MEANINGLESS game to the Bears?

Wow. That is about all I can say.

Are we talking about the Vikes game where it took them like 400 minutes to get a FIRST DOWN.

That game?

Wow. We did play some awesome defense that's all I can say.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Yes...Warhawk. Here we go again... Awesome defense? You mean against a Division II rookie who was starting his first NFL game? Yeah, that was awesome. Put more into it than is actually there. I see that is a theme for many here.

I just have to respond to one thing that puzzles me just as much as all this importance placed on the last game of the season...

Lovie Smith said he was making it a focus of beating Green Bay when he FIRST took the job, WHEN the PACKERS WERE THE TEAM TO BEAT in THE DIVISION. He certainly wants to beat every team. The point on beating the Packers was made at a different time than last season's last game.

I remember the Bears games. I recall the one of Monday Night vs. Arizona. Looked pretty bleak but they pulled it out in the 2nd half. Hmmmm. Might have done the same thing to the Packers, if they had been TRYING. Did Rex sit out most of the 2nd half in the Zona game? No.

I watched the one vs. Minnesota in Mpls in the BEGINNING of the season. Vikes probably should've won that game but choked it away.

None of that has A THING to do with their mindset the last week of the season with home field already clinched. NOTHING.

I just can't wait for this season. If we come struggling out of the gates, like usual, how much are you going to cling to what you're clinging to now which is that win was meaningful?

Let me be the one to feed your insanity....

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/InsideTheBearsStory.asp?STORY_ID=2851

After you read this take the big smile off your face and realize just because the coach wanted that, doesn't mean his players didn't mail it in. How many times have we heard a Packer coach speak in these terms only to watch our team play totally flat? The Bears did NOT care and that was reflected in the final score.

If Lovie was as serious as he was in that "coach speak" he would've left his starters in for the entire game and done everything to win it. His pre-game words don't fit with how he actually handled the game.

Hope all the green and gold glass wearers enjoyed that article. :)

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I remember the Bears games. I recall the one of Monday Night vs. Arizona. Looked pretty bleak but they pulled it out in the 2nd half. Hmmmm. Might have done the same thing to the Packers, if they had been TRYING. Did Rex sit out most of the 2nd half in the Zona game? No.

This is objectivity? Arizona collapsed as much as Chicago won it, and if I remember correctly, it was Chicago's defense that brought them back. Grossman finished 14/37 for 144 yards, 0 tds and 4 ints.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Here's Lovie Smith AFTER the loss to the Pack...

Speaking to the media Tuesday, Smith focused on what his team has accomplished over the course of the entire season. He also conceded that having already wrapped up the No. 1 seed likely contributed to Sunday night’s forgettable performance..

“We were flat,” Smith said. “We didn’t play our best game against Green Bay. It’s hard not to look past it when the game really doesn’t count. Besides being our biggest rival and wanting to go into this next phase on a high note, it doesn’t count a lot. You would like to be at the top of your game, but naturally that isn’t the case most of the time.

"We’re going to chalk that game up to it. We’re going to look at our season as a whole. There’s a reason why we won 13 games this year. We’re a good football team, and the next time we play, we’re going to show it.”

====I do owe an apology to the poster who talked about Lovie Smith's obsession with beating Green Bay. In the snippet I posted above, just before that, he said the focus going into the season was beating Green Bay. He was disappointed they only accomplished that ONCE. So, you were right....Smith is intent on beating Green Bay. Sadly, for him, his players didn't give a rats on that final game.

+++ In a little toot of my own horn, that is what I refer to when I harp on BALANCE and OBJECTIVITY. If I am wrong, I will admit it. I don't want to think I'm right and be wrong and will post things that go counter to my opinion and statements.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

All this debating over this one game... simply put... we were a middle of the road type team last year. Period.

Let's look at this a little differently, what real impact will that win have this year anyway. Does this look like an offseason that has carried that momentum. Not really, we didn't build upon it yet. Maybe in training camp it may, but so far this offseason there has been little to be excited for in comparison to other teams in the NFL.

It has been very quiet on the players front, not many veteran's have spoken out one way or another. Not saying that is good or bad, but it doesn't ring of excitement to me.

The free agents that we have brought in are going elsewhere to play, maybe it is all about money. But if reports are true about Johnson, where he has no interest in Green Bay, what does that say?

Point is that we used to have players WANT to come here and play. If we truly are a young up and comming team, wouldn't you want to be apart of that?

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Not if you don't want to live in Green Bay... heh.

Potential impacts. Players are starting to believe a little bit (according to quotes). That's an underappreciated thing. You can see the effect it has in Milwaukee right now with the Brewers. It makes people work harder and play to win.

Also, what would Favre have done if the Bears had stood on our throats in that game? I think it would've been far more likely that he seriously considered retirement. I think the Bears knew that too. At least their fans were talking throughout the entire season about sending Favre off with a disheartening loss in Chicago.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

I totally agree with Green Bay not being a preferred destination anymore. Favre was the reason Reggie came to Green Bay. Oh, and a few measly million dollars.

Favre was the greatest recruiting tool of the last 35 years.

I actually feel bad for TT. He has what I think is the toughest job in the NFL. He has to way overpay guys he wants to come here. The only guys we land in free agency are ones we overpay, or see great opportunity to play, when they haven't been able to in the past.

His hands are tied. So, I guess his philosophy of building slowly through the draft and improving from within and not letting guys leave is about all he has.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

We have a distinct disadvantage when it comes to the flashy, weekend nightlife type players. I would almost say we have an advantage when it comes to players who are pure football (Hawk) or have a troubled past (K Rob).

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Agreed. We are at a distinct disadvantage. That's why I think 8-8 is a great season next year. We're not in the same league, in a lot of respects, with the rest of the NFL. That is one of the reasons I love the Packers. The most UNIQUE team in all of professional sports. To be able to accomplish what this team has during the prime Favre years is more special than if it had happened any other place.

Oh, and before I look like more of an idiot... WINNING is pretty important to recruiting. If we can get back to elite level, I'm sure we'll have no trouble attracting the hollywood types to Green Bay as long as we pay good.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

+++ In a little toot of my own horn, that is what I refer to when I harp on BALANCE and OBJECTIVITY. If I am wrong, I will admit it. I don't want to think I'm right and be wrong and will post things that go counter to my opinion and statements.

and its also why people can debate with u where as a fella by a different moniker its a big more difficult

Pack93z

Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Here is whom Johnson is considering... not exactly top notch talent. And please dont' tell me Tennessee is more appealing to the night life type. Been there, done that.

Does it seems to be a theme this offseason?

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=642930

The Green Bay Packers are somewhat interested in free agent receiver Keyshawn Johnson, but the veteran doesn’t appear at all interested in Green Bay.

According to a Sports Illustrated report, Johnson has narrowed his choices to the Tennessee Titans, Oakland Raiders, or retirement, which also means a career in television. Johnson served as an analyst with ESPN during its coverage of the April 28-29 NFL draft.

The report also says Johnson, who was released by Carolina last week, is reluctant to play in Green Bay. If is unable to land the kind of contract he is seeking, he says he will walk away from the game.

Johnson, 34, has averaged 70 catches in each of the last three seasons. He feels

****PS... I could care less if he comes here or not.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Keyshawn has USC connections in both places....Oakland---Kiffin

and Tennessee has an O. Coord from USC and a coach in Fisher who has ties to USC.

Now, I'm not saying Kiffin was there when Keyshawn was, but he likes his USC guys and we don't have any of those in GB.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

and we can fault the debacle of Randy Moss not coming here as to why Keyshawn won't sign with the Packers too!!!!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed. We are at a distinct disadvantage. That's why I think 8-8 is a great season next year. We're not in the same league, in a lot of respects, with the rest of the NFL. That is one of the reasons I love the Packers. The most UNIQUE team in all of professional sports. To be able to accomplish what this team has during the prime Favre years is more special than if it had happened any other place.

They're kind of like Notre Dame, except every unique thing about Notre Dame gives the school's football team an unfair advantage/unfair treatment over every other school in the NCAA D1. Which is why I love the Packers and hate the Domers.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Agreed that there are the USC ties that bind, maybe that is all there is to it.

Zero... no where in there do I think that Moss not comming is the reason. Just a theme...

Maybe I am thinking wrong about Thompson's dependancy on rookies and building without veteran depth... maybe he can't get the players to come to Green Bay.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

He did play start his career with the Jets. It ain't any warmer there than Green Bay, but I guess there's a "little" more to do there.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan said:
cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:
cheesey said:
I STILL have trouble understanding..............WHY call yourself a fan of a certain team, if you don't feel they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning? I mean.......if they win, its a "fluke". What is it if they lose then?
I watched the Packers through the 1970's and 80's. I KNEW they sucked, but HOPED every week they would win. I didn't go around screaming how lousy they were. Oh, i was made FUN of by many people cause i still loved and backed them, no matter how awful they were.
You don't love them because they are great, you love them because they are YOURS.

I don't know why you have a hard time understanding this Cheesey.

Just because you don't think your team is the FRIGGIN 85' Bears doesn't mean you are any more of a fan than me.

We don't have to like the GM, we don't have to like anybody. When TT wins my opinion of him will change. Until then, I will be critical, and like it or not, it's my right to do so.

In the end my fandom is what drives me. I feel like TT is a disaster, right or wrong, and I want someone in there who is better suited for the job.
No where have i compared my team to the 85 Bears, or even the 96 Packers. And you can hate whoever you want. But don't act like I'm an idiot for thinking the Packers can have a decent season next year. You are condescending in all your posts about anyone that doesn't see everything as you do. You call people names, then attack them for name calling. (See your "hypocrite" statement reguarding me) You do the same things you judge others about.
You "Feel like TT is a disaster".......well, thats ALL it is, your feeling. He sure hasn't proved you right yet. He hasn't proven me right yet either. Thats where I am objective, and you are not. I think anyone deserves a chance to prove themselves before canning them. You want instant gradification, and if you don't get it, you want to fire everyone. You want to cook "Minute Rice" in 15 seconds.

While EVERYONE does have the right to psot how he feels, I think Alan NAILED it on how we view Pyles posts towards anyone that disaggress with him.

You guys defend him jus as much as I knock him. The problem is you guys disagree with most EVERYTHING to disagree.

Go look at Oannes post and see how 25 people came to defend TT when he had a logical argument. Not only that but then it turns to personal insults.
Oh.......you mean like.........WHEN YOU SAID I WAS A HYPOCRITE???
THOSE kinds of personal insults?
Oh....and yeah.....we just disagree to disagree. Not YOU though, you do it cause........uh.....why? Could it be.......JUST TO DISAGREE???
How hypocritical.
Face it......you THINK you are right on everything, and anyone that dares to disagree with you must be retarded, right? Even though you have no FACTS backing up what you say, it's JUST a personal dislike of Ted Thompson. You look at everything through your hatred of him. So how objective can THAT be? Harrell could end up being a demon on the field this season, and you STILL would find SOMETHING to complain about.
You hate TT.....we get it!
We KNOW that no matter WHAT we say, you will hate the guy. I honestly believe that if we made the playoffs this coming year, you'd say it was blind luck or something. Heck, we were ONE game from making it last year, they IMPROVED by 4 wins from the year before, and you'd think they finished 0-16 the way you talk.
I don't care what they do this year, you won't change no matter what the facts prove in the end.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

yeah new york trumps green bay for vacation destinations.

Keyshawn if that rumor is true just doesnt wanna come to the cold and play for a full season. hes only gonna play for like 1 or 2 more years so, if he goes anywhere hes gonna go to oakland or Tenn where the Temp is way way way more moderate. and if not he will just go to the tv studio.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
pyledriver80 said:
cheesey said:
I STILL have trouble understanding..............WHY call yourself a fan of a certain team, if you don't feel they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning? I mean.......if they win, its a "fluke". What is it if they lose then?
I watched the Packers through the 1970's and 80's. I KNEW they sucked, but HOPED every week they would win. I didn't go around screaming how lousy they were. Oh, i was made FUN of by many people cause i still loved and backed them, no matter how awful they were.
You don't love them because they are great, you love them because they are YOURS.

I don't know why you have a hard time understanding this Cheesey.

Just because you don't think your team is the FRIGGIN 85' Bears doesn't mean you are any more of a fan than me.

We don't have to like the GM, we don't have to like anybody. When TT wins my opinion of him will change. Until then, I will be critical, and like it or not, it's my right to do so.

In the end my fandom is what drives me. I feel like TT is a disaster, right or wrong, and I want someone in there who is better suited for the job.
No where have i compared my team to the 85 Bears, or even the 96 Packers. And you can hate whoever you want. But don't act like I'm an idiot for thinking the Packers can have a decent season next year. You are condescending in all your posts about anyone that doesn't see everything as you do. You call people names, then attack them for name calling. (See your "hypocrite" statement reguarding me) You do the same things you judge others about.
You "Feel like TT is a disaster".......well, thats ALL it is, your feeling. He sure hasn't proved you right yet. He hasn't proven me right yet either. Thats where I am objective, and you are not. I think anyone deserves a chance to prove themselves before canning them. You want instant gradification, and if you don't get it, you want to fire everyone. You want to cook "Minute Rice" in 15 seconds.

While EVERYONE does have the right to psot how he feels, I think Alan NAILED it on how we view Pyles posts towards anyone that disaggress with him.
Thank you LT and Zero.
I TRY not to let things on here get to me, but when someone goes around condemning everyone for things they say, when they are JUST as guilty and are doing the same exact things, REALLY burns me. If you are quick to attack others, don't be surprised when it comes back at you. What comes around goes around.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you guys should hug it out.
Fat chance of that ever happening.
I have tried to be civil......with Pyle, it doesn't work. He pushes and pushes and pushes until you have no CHOICE but to defend yourself.
If you don't, he just thinks he can make you his whipping dog. And i''m NO ONES whipping dog.
I think alot of people think they can walk all over me, because i don't go out of my way to be a ***** (like some on here do).

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers & Oannes

Let me say it one more time.

IT IS COMPLETELY INACURRATE TO SAY THEY PACKERS WERE LUCKY TO BE 8-8 BECAUSE THEY HAPPENED TO CATCH THE BEARS IN THE LAST GAME OF THE YEAR.

What I am saying is the arguement about the Bears mind set in the last game is ONE thing and saying they were LUCKY because of that game to finish 8-8 is another.

It's ONE of SIXTEEN games. You minimize the effort of the Packers defense against a "Division 11 QB" but what about the fact we were the LUCKY ones that caught Seattle in the first game all their injured guys returned.

Were we LUCKY getting the Bears in the opener where they were starting the same twenty two returning guys from the previous year while we were putting like five guys out there playing in their first NFL game EVER?

Luck has a way of evening itself out. It's very, very, shallow thinking when someone spits out "your lucky to be 8-8 because you caught the Bears sleeping there at the end."

Yes, the TIMING of things enters into the picture over an NFL season. Do you catch them off a win? Do you catch them injured? Do you catch them on the second of a two consecutive game road trip?

But don't tell me the Packers were Lucky to finish 8-8 when REALITY is that's about the worst we could have done based on how we played each and every team over the course of the year.

Name one game we were handed our *** but still won the game. The REALITY of it is the answer is ZERO. If we were handed a few games I would be the first to say "hey, we were lucky." It didn't happen.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

I think alot of people think they can walk all over me, because i don't go out of my way to be a ***** (like some on here do).

You can just say my name, geez. Don't beat around the bush! :twisted:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:

You can just say my name, geez. Don't beat around the bush! :twisted:
LOL! You don't go out of the way Zero!!! :rotflmao:
Anyway........I don't REMEMBER you ever going out of the way!!! :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts