Packers LB Matthews Voted Pepsi NFL Rookie Of The Week

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Voters on NFL.com have made their choice. Linebacker Clay Matthews of the Green Bay Packers is the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week for games played on Oct. 18-19.

Matthews recorded two sacks, three tackles for a loss and one pass defensed in his first NFL start in the Packers' 26-0 win over the Detroit Lions.

Matthews was selected from among five finalists through fan votes on NFL.com/rookies. The other finalists were safety Jairus Byrd of the Buffalo Bills, linebacker Brian Cushing of the Houston Texans, wide receiver Hakeem Nicks of the New York Giants and kicker Ryan Succop of the Kansas City Chiefs.

After the regular season, five players will be nominated for Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year honors. Fans can vote for the winner on NFL.com/rookies throughout the month of January. The winner will be announced at a press conference at Super Bowl XLIV in South Florida.

This is Pepsi's eighth year as the official soft drink sponsor of the NFL and the fifth..

Source: Packers.com

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally deserved. Well, I think Cushing played better than him, but I think voters also took into account his performance monday night against the vikings. Fact is, we possibily have a star in the makings at OLB. Suddenly those 2nd and 2 3rds don't seem much, eh?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
For that move at least, TT is looking like a genius. I agree, looks like we have a heck of a player in the making.

He seems to be quick mentally realizing what is going on out there and adjusting to it. That is impressive.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he only started the last year of his college tenure, and that he missed so many offseason time, that he didn't play the run in college... If you take that into consideration, he's a tremenduous player, a very quick learner... I think soon enough teams are going to gameplan against him, and when that happens, guess who's on the other side?

Members online

Latest posts