Packers ink Peppers

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow what a funny one.
Yes even the captions.

I notice you ignored the part about Aikman mentioning Reggie & Peppers in the same sentence even though you in sulted me or anyone if we even compared the two signings/players.

The best jokes are the truest ones huh?

Was that the 10 scroll long post? I couldn't continue reading that.

I stand by anyone that compares Reggie and peppers is a F-ing moron and lacks any historical perspective.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow what a funny one.
Yes even the captions.

I notice you ignored the part about Aikman mentioning Reggie & Peppers in the same sentence even though you in sulted me or anyone if we even compared the two signings/players.

His quote was from 2011-maybe then it might have been relevant to compare him to Reggie..

But now not so much

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...hortling/f2deda33-61a6-458a-831d-fb69748aeb53

In what way will Julius Peppers fit into our defensive scheme and how big of an impact do you think he will make?

Maybe it was fate that I continued to write about the way Dom Capers used Tony Brackens in Jacksonville. Well, here it is. My expectation is that Peppers will be Brackens, which is to say the equivalent of a 3-4 linebacker with his hand on the ground. Capers coached the Jaguars in 1999 to the No. 1 rankings in points allowed and sacks. He did it in a 4-3 alignment, which has been the point of my having mentioned it so many times. Again, alignment isn’t scheme. It’s what you do in that alignment that is your scheme. Capers incorporated a lot of 3-4 principles into the 4-3 alignment the Jaguars used in 1999. I’m expecting something similar for the Packers next season. I see Peppers being moved around. I see him dropping into coverage, just as Brackens did. Peppers is a great athlete; he played basketball at North Carolina. I see Peppers being used in space as a playmaker, just as Brackens was. I see Peppers being used in a lot of stunts and twists. I see him rushing the quarterback and I see him intercepting the pass of a quarterback that didn’t expect Peppers to drop into coverage. That’s the kind of versatility Peppers offers Capers, just as Brackens did.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But Ted signed him now right? Not 2011?
Who are we to question/doubt Ted Thompson right?

The point of Aikman comparing him to Reggie was from 2011..So my point is that to STILL compare him to Reggie is really far fetched...

I probably would have agreed with Aikman and others in 2011, but not now. Dont know why this is really an issue

Do I have faith in Ted, you betcha, but I still do not like this signing

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...hortling/f2deda33-61a6-458a-831d-fb69748aeb53

In what way will Julius Peppers fit into our defensive scheme and how big of an impact do you think he will make?

Maybe it was fate that I continued to write about the way Dom Capers used Tony Brackens in Jacksonville. Well, here it is. My expectation is that Peppers will be Brackens, which is to say the equivalent of a 3-4 linebacker with his hand on the ground. Capers coached the Jaguars in 1999 to the No. 1 rankings in points allowed and sacks. He did it in a 4-3 alignment, which has been the point of my having mentioned it so many times. Again, alignment isn’t scheme. It’s what you do in that alignment that is your scheme. Capers incorporated a lot of 3-4 principles into the 4-3 alignment the Jaguars used in 1999. I’m expecting something similar for the Packers next season. I see Peppers being moved around. I see him dropping into coverage, just as Brackens did. Peppers is a great athlete; he played basketball at North Carolina. I see Peppers being used in space as a playmaker, just as Brackens was. I see Peppers being used in a lot of stunts and twists. I see him rushing the quarterback and I see him intercepting the pass of a quarterback that didn’t expect Peppers to drop into coverage. That’s the kind of versatility Peppers offers Capers, just as Brackens did.
I agree with that, but also remember Jason Taylor.

He could come in with his hand in the dirt, like:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Or he could come in off the edge standing up, as we have heard mentioned:

He was a very good athlete.
Peppers is a better, rare unique athlete. Taylor might be a better dancer.

Taylor was 6' 6", but leaner.
Peppers though, don't forget this guy was the 6th man for the North Carolina Tar Heels basketball team, when they were great. He is a special athlete, and because he's been relatively healthy (this is hard concept for us to comprehend), he's fresher than 34. Put him at 31.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250688631.html

Julius Peppers, who signed a three-year contract with the Green Bay Packers on Saturday, made the first team at right end three times in his four-year career with the Chicago Bears.

Each scout was asked to rank the top three at each position in order, with three points for a first-place vote, two for a second and one for a third. No scout could vote for a player from his own team.

Here are the results of the voting at right end during Peppers' four years in the NFC North:

2010: Peppers, 9 points (unanimous choice); Minnesota's Jared Allen and Detroit's Kyle Vanden Bosch, 6; Green Bay's Frank Zombo, 3.
2011: tie, Peppers and Allen, 8; Vanden Bosch, 5; Green Bay's Erik Walden, 3.

2012: tie, Peppers and Green Bay's Clay Matthews, 8; Allen, 5; Vanden Bosch, 3.

2013: Matthews, 9; Allen, 7; Detroit's Ziggy Ansah, 5; Peppers, 3.

Now here are comments made about Peppers each year. Not every scouted commented about every player. No comments were made by the Chicago voter regarding Peppers..

Scout: "He's kind of changed how you have to block those guys. He's disruptive in the run and pass game. He disappeared for about three games. You have to change the way you block the Bears now."

Scout: "He disappeared on some plays but at least he showed up in each game. They used him well."

Scout: "He has the ability to turn it up to a level no one else has. If he takes a play off everyone is on his (expletive). The reality of it is you do not want to play that guy. Because he's going to demand chips and attention. Either those other guys (his teammates) will get off or you'll roll the dice (blocking him one-on-one)."

Scout: "I wouldn't call him a disappointment. He had the knee injury against (a division team) and that slowed him down."

Scout: "His deal is, when he wanted to take over, it seemed like he could. But it's always been like this, rather than dominate a game. Some players that shouldn't have been able to, block him. He still made plays. He took over a game or two. You can't dispute his skill and athleticism."

Scout: "He gets lost some. You don't see Matthews get lost."

Scout: "He is a phenomenal specimen and athlete."

Scout: "His production slipped this year. He didn't do much. He's a little off and on with his effort, as he's always been. I think it was a little worse this year. It wasn't the same guy coming off the edge. He still got some rushes and got close. He's been a terror in the past. I did not see that this year."

Scout: "He has not had a dominant year. On any given week he can definitely do some things."

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...hould-do/688c16d9-e54f-4fa9-ba87-52b968d2e154

Jeff from Loves Park, IL

Vic, the signing of Peppers takes playing time away from?

I don’t know. That’s what we’re going to find out in the spring and in training camp. Will the addition of Julius Peppers allow Datone Jones to move to the left side, the run-stuffing side? Or will Peppers be moved around so that everybody will get a few plays off? When I think of Peppers being used in multiple, creative, imaginative ways, I think not only of Tony Brackens, but also of Jevon Kearse. Chad Brown is another guy that comes to mind. I have a feeling Peppers is really going to enjoy playing for his new team and Coach Capers.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2009-08-31-capers-defense_N.htm?csp=34

Former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene and safety Darren Perry are serving as assistants under Capers in Green Bay, accelerating the transition to the new defense with their perspectives as former practitioners of the scheme.

Is Kampman licking his chops, knowing how Miami's Jason Taylor emerged as the 2006 Defensive Player of the Year with 13½ sacks after making the shift from defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker in Capers' scheme?

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...julius-peppers-right-fit-for-green-bay-packer

I was also looking for a unique defensive scheme that would allow me to be a more versatile and effective player.”

“That was really important to Julius -- that he have the opportunity to show the versatility he has and some of his special gifts,” Carey said. “He's wanted to play in a 3-4 defense or a hybrid sort of a situation for many years, ever since he was with the Carolina Panthers years ago, and to have that opportunity now, he is super excited.

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/01...for-another-team-next-season-as-a-linebacker/

Carey said ideally Peppers wants to play in a 3-4 defensive system where he can stand up and roam the field as a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker, similar to how the Dallas Cowboys use DeMarcus Ware and how the San Diego Chargers have used Shawne Merriman in the past before his injury.

So basically he doesn’t want to have a lot of run responsibility
, he just wants to rush the quarterback and compile as many sacks as he possibly can. At 6’7”, 283 pounds, Peppers would easily be the biggest linebacker in the NFL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stand by anyone that compares Reggie and peppers is a F-ing moron and lacks any historical perspective.
Reggie White is the reason we won the Super Bowl more than Brett Favre.
Nobody loves Reggie more than I do.
I remember that spring when he was on his free agent tour, everyone thinking he'd be going to either San Francisco or Washington. It was early on in the days of the growing internet, and at college via Prodigy, I was watching and refreshing all the time to see if he'd get God's message, and he did.

Peppers will not dominate as much as Reggie did, I don't think.

Remember the Packers defense went to #1 pretty quickly. But they also had added many other good vets like Santana Dotson, Sean Jones, etc.

But like adding Woodson, who everyone else considered done, and adding Reggie, Peppers has the ability -still- to change our defense. And that's a good thing.

How much difference to our rookies on defense make, even with high picks?
Datone last year?
Nick Perry?
Jerel Worthy?
Mike Neal?
Justin Harrell?

Ted might have finally learned, or Capers demanded of him, that even a talented veteran past his prime, is going to make this defense better, and now, much more than continuing to draft rookies with 1st & 2nd round picks like those guys above.

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check out what Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, Michael Strahan, John Abraham all did well into their 30s. Peppers is by far more athletic than most of these guys, has never had a major injury that required surgery, will lose about 10 pounds in order to play linebacker this season which should make him even faster, is hungry for a super bowl championship, is super excited about finally playing in a complicated, aggressive 3-4 defensive scheme, will have Clay Matthews lining up opposite him helping to take attention away from him, and he's motivated to show people he can still play at a high level and wants to make a big impact for the Packers. These are the reasons why I believe Peppers will be in the mix for next years Defensive Player of the Year Award.

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And as far as the rumors that Peppers doesn't try hard and takes lots of plays off...

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4669770/trgovac-nothing-wrong-with-peppers-motor

"He had it [the reputation] coming out of college," Trgovac said Tuesday at Super Bowl media day. "I always attribute it to [the fact] he's so smooth and natural. I was his position coach his rookie year, and he was rookie of the year by the way, and he only played 12 games. I did every [college] game on him because we had just been hired there in Carolina and Houston already said they were going to take quarterback David Carr, so we had to choose between Julius and Joey Harrington.

"People always talked about him taking plays off and doing this, but he's just so smooth and natural that he does things so easy that people think he's being lazy. But Julius plays hard. That reputation has always followed him, and maybe will always follow him for his whole career. I don't know, I hope not, because he is a really good guy. He commands a lot of attention. What was really impressive for us [in Carolina] was his work ethic in practice. He busts his butt in practice and I don't think the kid ever got enough credit for that."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...s-mar08_1_mike-rucker-julius-peppers-john-fox

In Charlotte, N.C., they still talk about the back-to-back plays Julius Peppers made in a game in Denver in 2004.
On third-and-3, he pushed Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer out of bounds on a bootleg after a 2-yard gain. Then on fourth-and-1, he intercepted Plummer's pass and ran it back 97 yards.

That is how Peppers will be remembered by John Fox, the only NFL head coach Peppers has known.
"Pep's a heck of a player," Fox said Monday. "I knew he'd be a guy who would be one of the first to get signed. He hasn't had any injuries. He's clean as a whistle medically. I know he's 30, but he looks just like he did when he was 22."
Fox dispelled the notion that the Bears' new defensive end takes a lot of plays off. He said effort was not a problem for Peppers.
"He trains and works hard," Fox said. "He's a great kid. He's quiet, but he leads by example."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagobears/post/_/id/4665348/peppers-relishes-his-fresh-start

While at Carolina, Peppers didn’t always receive such praise from teammates. Peppers’ critics -- who often spoke of a tendency for the defensive end to take plays off -- caused him to close out people and take a guarded stance toward dealing with the media.
Peppers said “it was definitely time” for his departure from Carolina back in March, “not only from that team, but from the state period. I was there for 30 years. That’s my home state; I love it. I still plan to live there after I retire, but you need a change of scenery sometimes. You need to get away.”
Now that he’s accomplished the change, Peppers wants to finally silence the critics. One NFL coach who worked with Peppers in Carolina, held the same beliefs about a perceived lack of effort from the defensive end.
“When we were evaluating before we got him, I thought that too. Then one of our coaches gave me tape from the [2002] combine,” the coach said. “He said watch this one first; then watch Julius. I watched the first guy, he’s straining through this drill, grunting, making all kinds of faces. Right after that, Peppers comes up and goes through the same drill [the coach imitates an effortless run]. Smooth. You look at your watch, and Peppers just smoked the time [of the player in the first drill]. He just makes it look so easy sometimes it looks like he’s not trying.”
Peppers laughed at the story, before agreeing and adding his spin.
“You know, I think sometimes certain players – and I don’t name names – but certain players have a certain haircut, they have certain sack celebrations. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. That stuff can make it seem like you’re playing hard when really, you’re playing [about the same] as everybody else,” Peppers said. “You’re just bringing that extra attention to yourself. Just because I go about it mild mannered and I don’t do all of that stuff, maybe that’s something to talk about, too. If you hear [the criticism] from a coach that’s a different story. But I have yet to hear that from a coach. People who say it and watch the game don’t really understand my responsibilities on certain plays. If my play is not to run and chase the ball, if my play is to stay backside, then I’ve got to stay backside. I’ve got to be disciplined. I can’t run across the field and chase stuff that’s not mine. I can’t help that stuff comes easy sometimes; easier than somebody else. So I deal with it and hopefully, after this year, people won’t say that anymore.”
Still, critics will justifiably question whether the Bears paid too much for a player who could be entering the crossroads of his career. There’s also the legitimate concern that Peppers -- now that he’s received the big paycheck (he’ll make $40.5 million in the first three years) -- won't be motivated to play hard.
“That’s not my moral fiber, my character,” Peppers said. “I’m not above criticism. I can [take that] constructive[ly]; not saying that I believe it’s true. But if that’s something I have a chance to prove people wrong about, then I welcome that criticism. There’s pressure to perform. Being rewarded by this organization in that way only makes me want to play harder and repay them for what they did for me.”
Aside from the financial aspect of the situation, what the Bears did for Peppers, he said, was breathe new life into a career that had become stale.
Asked if he felt reborn with the Bears, Peppers started laughing almost uncontrollably.
“I guess you could call it that,” he said. “It’s definitely a change of scenery and a fresh start; a breath of fresh air to me. I’m happy, comfortable, and trying to stay that way for a long time.”
That could make for a lot of uncomfortable quarterbacks, for a long time as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-peppersbears011411

Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli approached the offseason evaluation of defensive end Julius Peppers with caution.
The second overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft, Peppers was a five-time Pro Bowl selection who had racked up 25 sacks in the previous two seasons, yet, during the 2010 offseason, he was an unrestricted free agent.

“We did a lot of homework on him,” Smith said, “and everything came back the same.”
Despite his immense NFL success – 81 sacks in his first eight seasons – Peppers was dogged by questions that he wasn’t consistent and that he didn’t fulfill his potential. So Smith wanted to be comfortable that Peppers was going to be a cornerstone defender and not a free-agent disaster.
Smith sought the input of numerous people he trusted, including his friend Ron Meeks, the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010.
“ ‘One of the best guys you will have a chance to coach,’ ” Smith recalled one person telling him. “Everything was positive.”
Peppers was an exception, so the Bears made an exception.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...-improve/6c68178a-ab97-4162-b54e-8ad51adb8fd1

Bears defensive end Julius Peppers is nicknamed "The Freak" because of his extremely rare combination of size and athleticism. But that's not the only key to his success.

In presenting a Brian Piccolo Award to the 6-7, 287-pounder Tuesday at Halas Hall, Bears defensive line coach Mike Phair lauded Peppers' work ethic and attention to detail.

"You see a guy that's one of the better football players that's ever played this game and each and every day in practice he's the first guy in line," Phair said.

"He works extremely hard and he's very coachable. In meetings, he's a guy that takes great notes. That's one of the things that you could take for granted: 'Hey, I'm a pro. I've been here. I know the system.' But he's taking notes like a rookie. That's very impressive."

Peppers' attention to detail stems from his desire to continually improve, something he's done throughout his career. Selected by the Carolina Panthers with the second pick in the 2002 draft, he has been voted to eight Pro Bowls, including three in as many years with the Bears.

"I always like to take notes because you never know it all," Peppers said. "Once you think you know it all, that's when you start falling off. It's always good to try to get a little better every day."

http://archive.is/D3O19

About this time a year ago Carolina Panthers linebacker Jon Beason was calling out teammate Julius Peppers publicly, raising an issue of Peppers� perceived �intensity.�

Now he would be very, very happy if Peppers left any intensity back in Chicago when the Bears go to Charlotte to play Peppers� former team.

�I think Pep is going to go down as one of the best ever,� Beason said. �Truly a specimen and he�s an addition to any football team, any defense. The difference is, now that I�m playing outside [linebacker], that things are more clear to me how important it is having a big dominant D-end.�

Indeed you sometimes don�t appreciate what you had �til it�s gone. So it is with Peppers and the Panthers from whom he�s gone now after eight seasons in Carolina.

Beason, suffering through an 0-3 start then and an 0-4 one now, subsequently explained his comments about Peppers� made to a Charlotte radio station. He has gained an even greater appreciation of what Peppers was facing week after week.

�I was able to witness it first hand for three years the different schemes Pep had to deal with every Sunday as far as sliding offensive linemen his way and backs chipping in before they went out,� Beason said.

�It was tough on him but if you�re playing opposite him, you should definitely be excited about it because he will definitely command that attention.�

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much difference to our rookies on defense make, even with high picks?
Datone last year?
Nick Perry?
Jerel Worthy?
Mike Neal?
Justin Harrell?
So much cherry picking to fit your argument. Shields, Matthews, Raji, Hyde etc. all made positive impacts their first year. Obviously each GM has good, decent & bad picks. Choosing two examples of those while ignoring the third for your argument is a poorly made argument. I would use all rookie examples, good and bad and say at best there's mixed impacts during their rookie years, rather than just point out the poorer or injured picks.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was doing some research on the topic... Does anybody remember Reggie White playing and starting all 16 games for the Carolina Panthers in 2000? I sure didn't.

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PFF isn't a very good webstie imo. Their grading system is flawed, they had Clay Matthews as like the 30 something best OLB this season for an example of how stupid they are. They rank crappy players ahead of great players. Peppers isn't on the decline, he just has had bad luck with injuries over the last couple of seasons but at least he is tough enough to play through them. In 2011 he played with a sprained MCL in his knee, in 2012 he played with plantar fasciitis in his feet, and last season he pulled his hamstring during training camp and missed some of TC and most of the preseason. In 2009 he played with a cast on his broken hand. In 2006 he played with a hurt shoulder. If Peppers remains fairly healthy this season I could see him putting up great numbers as a pass rushing OLB/DE in Capers aggressive defensive scheme...

70 tackles
23 sacks
8 tackles for loss
8 forced fumbles
2 fumble recoveries, one returned for a TD
2 interceptions, one returned for a TD
10 passes defensed
2 blocked kicks
1 safety
Pro Bowl, First Team All-Pro, DPOtY, Super Bowl Ring. :)

Members online

Latest posts