Packers have talked to safety Jim Leonhard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure his agent called around. At this point they might sign him if an injury occurs but otherwise let's see what the youngins have

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think he would be a nice fit back there providing depth and leadership. You can never have enough heart and instinctive smarts on the back end.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Leonhard may be smart and have heart, but he is small and a bit slow. But on the other hand TT could get him on the cheap as this would be his 4th team. Like, you know, bargain row.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure his agent called around. At this point they might sign him if an injury occurs but otherwise let's see what the youngins have

I don't expect Thompson to sign him either, he would be a nice insurance policy though if Clinton-Dix and Hyde still need some more time to develop.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Thompson to sign him either, he would be a nice insurance policy though if Clinton-Dix and Hyde still need some more time to develop.

A friend of mine was a nutritionist on the badgers for about a decade. I asked him who was the most physically gifted player he ever saw (he never worked with watt who would be hands down I'm sure) and he said jim. Said the badgers ftball team would host a dunk contest for the players and it wasn't even fair bc 5'10 Leonhard would crush everyone.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
If we can get him cheap he could be a huge asset on special teams and in our dime package. He's got heart and is a gamer. As a starter or nickle back??? No way.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't know. I would want to have him in the game instead of Jarrett Bush late in fourth quarter rushing Kaepernick from nickle or dime spot. Obviously he isn't going to come in and do anything too special but he did have some production last year. He had 4 more interceptions then our entire Safety group. I look at it from a stand point of building a 53 man roster. Why not bring him in and give him a shot? Right now we have two free safety's that have never played a professional game at that position.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I don't know. I would want to have him in the game instead of Jarrett Bush late in fourth quarter rushing Kaepernick from nickle or dime spot. Obviously he isn't going to come in and do anything too special but he did have some production last year. He had 4 more interceptions then our entire Safety group. I look at it from a stand point of building a 53 man roster. Why not bring him in and give him a shot? Right now we have two free safety's that have never played a professional game at that position.

Fair points.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be alright with them bringing him in for a backup/ mentor type role. If the guy is as knowledgeable as everyone is putting on, why let that go to waste by not utilizing it?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If we can get him cheap he could be a huge asset on special teams and in our dime package. He's got heart and is a gamer. As a starter or nickle back??? No way.

He´s a liability in run defense but pretty good in coverage. As brandon has pointed out he had four more interceptions than our entire safety group last season and while it seems like we have more talent at the position with Clinton-Dix and Hyde none of them has started an NFL game at FS.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me if we can (and we should be able to) get him on the cheap it's a no brainer. Guys like Jim bring a certain something to the table that will never show up in the stats. For all intents and purposes he could serve as a coach/player and really help the young guys and even MB learn how to do things both on and off the field. Also, his value on special teams can't be overstated. To me, these are the kind of guys that help you win titles. Look at the Favre title team. Beebe, Jackson, Howard and a few others served in this exact roll and all of the listed even had game changing plays throughout the season and the Super Bowl. Very, very low risk so long as we don't have to part with a promising young talent to make a spot for him. Come on home Jim, come on home!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He´s a liability in run defense but pretty good in coverage. As brandon has pointed out he had four more interceptions than our entire safety group last season and while it seems like we have more talent at the position with Clinton-Dix and Hyde none of them has started an NFL game at FS.

LOL.... well, at least he wont be alone in that category.