Packers Have Signed Ryan Grant

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers gave Grant a standing ovation in the locker room. Mcarthy said expect him on Sunday but Green with more carries

H

HardRightEdge

I can understand thinking Grant is not an optimal solution, but he's better than doing nothing.

He was reasonably productive last season, has fresh legs, and could work out in split duty with Green. I can't recall if it was a screen pass or run on his long play last season, but it showed he still has decent top end speed, so the wheels should be OK if he hasn't been dinged up in his limited work this season.

Beggars can't be choosers at this late date.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand thinking Grant is not an optimal solution, but he's better than doing nothing.

He was reasonably productive last season, has fresh legs, and could work out in split duty with Green. I can't recall if it was a screen pass or run on his long play last season, but it showed he still has decent top end speed, so the wheels should be OK if he hasn't been dinged up in his limited work this season.

Beggars can't be choosers at this late date.

The alternatives are next to nothing.

H

HardRightEdge

1 year deal? So it runs out in December of 2013?

Should be able to contribute for a month or 2. I like, but am surprised, by the move. Green and Starks just started showing signs of life and all.

We await the terms of the deal, but I would not sweat it. This will be a small contract, perhaps as low as the league minimum, with no guarantees into next year. If he plays reasonably well this year, we might see him in camp next year depending on how all the variables work out...injuries, free agency, draft.

There won't be any firm or costly commitments, of that you can be sure.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want a RB I think making an offer in the off season to Philly for Bryce brown would be the way to go.

If he can get the fumbling under-control, go for it.

I still believe most of our running woes are due to the line and not necessarily the back. It's a lot harder to get yards when the RB is constantly hit in the backfield..

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can get the fumbling under-control, go for it.

I still believe most of our running woes are due to the line and not necessarily the back. It's a lot harder to get yards when the RB is constantly hit in the backfield..

I agree, but I don't think we have a great back,not that we need one though.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious the Packers like the one/two punch with different RBs with Green. Packers said he's in top shape and if they're going to play him in limited duty Sunday you have to believe it.
Any other back they would have taken time to get him up to speed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't recall if it was a screen pass or run on his long play last season, but it showed he still has decent top end speed, so the wheels should be OK if he hasn't been dinged up in his limited work this season.
According to nfl.com, last season Grant had a long run of 47 yards for a TD and caught 19 passes with a long of 80 yards for a TD.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think, if anybody else goes down we may see Alex Green and Ahman Green LOL
The Mean Green Machine.

Hearing that the locker room erupted into a standing ovation when Grant came into the room, speaks volumes about the guy but also about what the players think he can provide to the team. I'm not getting excited here but see positive signs. Let's remember that while considering Grant's age, he doesn't have much mileage on his legs. It's the age combined with injuries that is a concern but his legs should be there if he can stay healthy.

H

HardRightEdge

According to nfl.com, last season Grant had a long run of 47 yards for a TD and caught 19 passes with a long of 80 yards for a TD.

It was the screen pass I was thinking of:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Looks like there's still tread on those tires. We'll just have to see how he bangs it up inside the tackles.

H

HardRightEdge

Just think, if anybody else goes down we may see Alex Green and Ahman Green LOL

We could trade for Robbie Gould upgrading the PK position, and give him snaps at TB. That would make it Green and Gould...rim shot...thanks...I'll be appearing here all week.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could trade for Robbie Gould upgrading the PK position, and give him snaps at TB. That would make it Green and Gould...rim shot...thanks...I'll be appearing here all week.

Unless Gould got an extension i thought he was in the last year of his contract? He'd be a major upgrade over Mason "Miss alot" Crosby.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I'm 100% wrong but I have no expectations of Grant. Players might like him but there's a reason no one in the NFL wanted him. I was so excited when he was off the team and this is just disappointing.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I'm 100% wrong but I have no expectations of Grant. Players might like him but there's a reason no one in the NFL wanted him.
Are you talking about Arian Foster, who's name was not called during the draft, or Antonio Gates, who's name was not called during the draft? Or Kurt Warner, whom the Giants released, but later took Arizona to a Super Bowl?
Nobody wanted James Harrison or London Fletcher either, for a reason.

It's not that simple.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
blount seems to thugish for a classy team like GB. He does not belong here.

Nonsense. Then why is Erik Walden on the team? Why was Ahman Green on the team after 2005? I have far less problem with a guy punching his teammates than I do with him hitting his girlfriend.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you talking about Arian Foster, who's name was not called during the draft, or Antonio Gates, who's name was not called during the draft? Or Kurt Warner, whom the Giants released, but later took Arizona to a Super Bowl?

It's not that simple.

No, he's talking about a 30 year-old RB with an injury history, who has an established record of mediocrity, who failed to make a roster on any team, who hasn't played in over a year. He's only here to spell Green anyway.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This guy is not a Packer player, and he would not get along well with Hawk, Matthews, Zombo.....
And mid-round picks are precious to Teddy too if the above weren't facts.

First of all, training camp altercations happen all the time. Yes, even in GREEN BAY. Second of all, you don't know what that guy said to him as he was walking by. Third, I like a little fight in my RBs. Fourth, I don't believe he has ever punched his girlfriend, which can't be said for Ahman Green or Erik Walden (you know how payoffs work).

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not that simple.

All of those guys you named weren't playing mediocre until past their prime then all of the sudden became the players they were. Completely different situations.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts