Packers Have an Underrated Defense

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
You are what you did. Last seasons D had a lot of young talent and a lot of key injuries. I don't look at what happened last year as a barometer for what is going to happen this season. I'm being a broken record here but I see lots of reason for optimism. A whole bunch of young players who are on the upswing and have a bitter taste in there mouths from the last game of their season. Veteran impact players and promising young players coming back from injuries that either ended their season or hampered their play. A draft deep in DE's and Safety's. It's a new day.

DON"T WORRY BE HAPPY!!!:D

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP's highest YPC of the season was against the vaunted Seahawks defense: 10.7. 17 carries for 182 yards.

Bottom line, yes, we got rolled by AP. But so did the entire league. He had a special season, almost setting the all-time record. But, to continue to revert back to that fact alone is getting old and ridiculous.

I think it was ridiculous to point to the Packers holding Foster to 40 yards as a reason the defense was good (or "under-rated" or "decent")

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Or overworked, underdisciplined front 7. I remember people talking about how Raji had his way with Sullivan that second game. Subsequently opening holes for AP to blow through.

OP
OP
Aaron rodgers is god
Reaction score
I think it was ridiculous to point to the Packers holding Foster to 40 yards as a reason the defense was good (or "under-rated" or "decent")
I see a bit of irony here. You state that Ap ran for 400 yards against us and that's your argument for how bad the defense, but once someone brings up that we hold foster to 40 yard u say its a terrible argument for a underrated defense. Quit using the Ap games and Sf game as the deciding factors of how the defense preformed for the ENTIRE year. If anything u are strengthening the case of an underrated defense. You mean to tell me our bad games on defense were against good teams or players.

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sick of all the pessimistic outlooks many of you have towards our team. Christ... our defense looked bad in a handful of games, but at other times, the defense looked great. Bring back Bishop from injury, plug in Perry again, and add an additional draft class on top of it? We're going to be solid. A bit of optimism never hurt anyone. The DE position needs help, and possibly an additional big body in the middle to back up Raji. With the exception of AJ Hawk, I think our linebacking core is fairly solid. The safety position is a need, but the Packers feel that both Jerron Mcmillian and MD Jennings should compete for the starting job.

So many of you forget that TT strictly builds the team through drafts. Sounds like the mindset from some of you is to venture off into the land of free agency, where teams overspend on older players. Let's see how that would work out when Aaron Rodgers is on the verge of a $25M/year contract and Matthews is looking at $13M a year. Seriously. Let's give the staff more credit. After all, that's why we're sitting behind a keyboard typing out our opinions rather than being in the front office and actually making these business decisions.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sick of all the pessimistic outlooks many of you have towards our team. Christ... our defense looked bad in a handful of games, but at other times, the defense looked great. Bring back Bishop from injury, plug in Perry again, and add an additional draft class on top of it? We're going to be solid. A bit of optimism never hurt anyone. The DE position needs help, and possibly an additional big body in the middle to back up Raji. With the exception of AJ Hawk, I think our linebacking core is fairly solid. The safety position is a need, but the Packers feel that both Jerron Mcmillian and MD Jennings should compete for the starting job.

So many of you forget that TT strictly builds the team through drafts. Sounds like the mindset from some of you is to venture off into the land of free agency, where teams overspend on older players. Let's see how that would work out when Aaron Rodgers is on the verge of a $25M/year contract and Matthews is looking at $13M a year. Seriously. Let's give the staff more credit. After all, that's why we're sitting behind a keyboard typing out our opinions rather than being in the front office and actually making these business decisions.

Ted tThompson?? is that you?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a bit of irony here. You state that Ap ran for 400 yards against us and that's your argument for how bad the defense, but once someone brings up that we hold foster to 40 yard u say its a terrible argument for a underrated defense. Quit using the Ap games and Sf game as the deciding factors of how the defense preformed for the ENTIRE year. If anything u are strengthening the case of an underrated defense. You mean to tell me our bad games on defense were against good teams or players.

If you read the posts in chronological order, the AP post was in response to the "Packers held Foster to 40 yards; therefore, the defense is good" post.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read the posts in chronological order, the AP post was in response to the "Packers held Foster to 40 yards; therefore, the defense is good" post.

That's mischaracterizing my posts. Because I only use Foster as the one example to counter your one example of AP. But, my previous posts discussed how the Packers defense gave up 100+ yards to only 2 RB's all season, while holding the likes of Foster, Lynch, S. Jax, CJ2K, and Forte to under 100 yards. So, I'm far from relying on one extreme to try and make my point.

But, I also understand the point of this thread: this defense is far from great, but showed good and promising signs last year. Holding these running backs in check - esp. when you consider the injuries to Bishop, Smith, Clay, Perry, Raji, and Wilson for all or part of the season - is something to be optimistic about going forward.

Members online

Latest posts