Packers have $29.3 million in cap space

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Tom Pelissero has reported that number, a little lower than most of us have expected since the cap number was announced.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Silverstein had a blog entry last Friday that calculated the Packers’ cap room at $34.7M.
… according to a press release from the NFL Players Association, the cap is set at $133 million for the start of the new football year beginning March 11. Under my calculations - and these won't be on the nose because there are adjustments that will be made to each team's cap, the Packers will be $34.7 million under the $133 million figure. The Packers have roughly $108 million in cap charges and dead money on the books for '14. They get to subtract $9.8 million from that total because they are carrying it over from what they didn't use in 2013. Thus, the Packers have about $34.7 million in space, which should come in as the sixth or seventh most in the NFL.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/247920911.html#ixzz2v1MM8NZC

Not sure who is correct but Silverstein’s math works.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Pelissero just corrected himself in a tweet, now reporting Packers have $33.1 million in cap space.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Silverstein had a blog entry last Friday that calculated the Packers’ cap room at $34.7M. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/247920911.html#ixzz2v1MM8NZC

Not sure who is correct but Silverstein’s math works.

Another thing about the blog entry by Silverstein. He's wrong about that:

In the Packers' case, they don't have to spend all $133 million of cap space. Under the CBA, the minimum they have to use is $118.37, which is 89%.

They don't have to have a cap hit of 89% of this season's salary cap, they have to spend 89% of the total salary cap over a four year period (2013-2016) in CASH.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no reason to not bring Shields back with that much $$$ to throw around. We cant be tightwads this off season. This team is only a 2-3 playmakers away on defense of helping this team return to the Super Bowl.

Sign Shields long term
Sign a FA Safety to come in and start
Sign a FA LB (Inside or Outside, dont matter, we need both) that can come in and start

Then add pieces through the draft.

Do these things, we'll back in the Super Bowl again barring injuries.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no reason to not bring Shields back with that much $$$ to throw around. We cant be tightwads this off season. This team is only a 2-3 playmakers away on defense of helping this team return to the Super Bowl.

Sign Shields long term
Sign a FA LB (Inside or Outside, dont matter, we need both) that can come in and start

Don't forget...we need to sign draft picks, extend Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, probably Bulaga all likely before the end of the coming season. Not to mention if Finley comes back he got 8.75M last season and probably will want a comparable salary. I think all the cap room is a little misleading. Shields is good, but isn't worth more than 7 maybe 8 million a season IMO and I think someone will pay more than that and OVERPAY him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget...we need to sign draft picks, extend Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, probably Bulaga all likely before the end of the coming season. Not to mention if Finley comes back he got 8.75M last season and probably will want a comparable salary. I think all the cap room is a little misleading. Shields is good, but isn't worth more than 7 maybe 8 million a season IMO and I think someone will pay more than that and OVERPAY him.

If someone is going to pay Finley 8.75M next year it had better not be us.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://russellstreetreport.com/an-explanation-of-how-the-rookie-salary-cap-really-work/

Every year, during the weeks follow the NFL draft, the league announces each team’s “Year One Rookie Allocation” (formerly known as the “Rookie Pool” or “Rookie Salary Cap”). This is an oft misunderstood number, because while it is part of the team’s Salary Cap, it does not have a dollar-for-dollar impact on the team’s overall Salary Cap.

while all of the Salary Cap numbers of a team’s draft picks must fit under the team’s Rookie Salary Cap, very rarely will all of that amount actually impact the team’s overall Salary Cap.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We have no reason to not bring Shields back with that much $$$ to throw around.
If Shields wants to be paid as the number one CB in the league, that would be a reason, wouldn't it? I'm disappointed a deal with Shields hasn't gotten done before free agency but if Shields' demands are outrageous, I don't want the Packers to cave into his demands just because they have a lot of salary cap room.

Thompson, McCarthy, and Capers know the defense has to improve so if they lose Shields, Thompson should replace him with another UFA. Or at least fill a hole at safety, ILB, or DL (depending upon who they lose) with a UFA so they can use a high pick for a CB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sign Shields long term

$$$ is still a finite resource that has to be used judiciously. We have FA next year and the year after that. We have players who are going to step up and be the next generation of players we 'can't win without'. Shields is good, very good, but I am not sure I trust him. He is about to cash in on the most money he has ever gotten - is he still going to work hard and still be good? I am not sure he doesn't pull an Antonio Freeman and starts enjoying the good life - forsaking the gym in the offseason. I like House more than most - remember, he beat out Shields for the starting spot 2 years ago - only to get injured and have Shields emerge. I think the drop off from Shields to House is not as great as potentially other positions.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$$$ is still a finite resource that has to be used judiciously. We have FA next year and the year after that. We have players who are going to step up and be the next generation of players we 'can't win without'. Shields is good, very good, but I am not sure I trust him. He is about to cash in on the most money he has ever gotten - is he still going to work hard and still be good? I am not sure he doesn't pull an Antonio Freeman and starts enjoying the good life - forsaking the gym in the offseason. I like House more than most - remember, he beat out Shields for the starting spot 2 years ago - only to get injured and have Shields emerge. I think the drop off from Shields to House is not as great as potentially other positions.

This has been my main concern with him since day 1 of this whole process. I was much much more comfortable with him when the reports were he was looking for Tim Jennings money, now I fear that this was never the case and him and Rosenhaus were always going to look to get him paid probably more then he's worth.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Link to explain it?

It is actually explained in the article you posted. The reason some rookies don´t count against the salary cap during the offseason is that only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. Once the regular season starts all players on the roster count against it.

H

HardRightEdge

It is actually explained in the article you posted. The reason some rookies don´t count against the salary cap during the offseason is that only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. Once the regular season starts all players on the roster count against it.
All players under contract count against the cap once the regular season starts...53 man roster, practice squad, PUP, IR.

As for the rookie cap, the allowable salary range for each pick is so narrow there's not a lot of wiggle room one way or the other. Negotiations revolve around such minor issues that it's hardly worth mentioning, particularly when drafting at #21.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the current cap run down using the following link for current cap and dead cap:

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

Our current top 51 cap hit is $105.1 mil. As a practical matter, assuming Raji is not re-signed, we'll have $2.7 mil in dead cap hit. The sum of the two gets us to $107.8 in current cap hit.

Recent reports put the 2014 cap at $133 million. The Packers unused cap carryover from 2013 has typically been reported as $9.8 mil. The sum of the two gets us to $142.8 mil in available cap space.

$142.8 mil - $107.8 mil = $35.0 mil in cap space.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Actually that´s only true during the offseason. During the regular season the entire cap hit of a rookie who made the team will count 100% against a team´s cap.
All players under contract count against the cap once the regular season starts...53 man roster, practice squad, PUP, IR.

As for the rookie cap, the allowable salary range for each pick is so narrow there's not a lot of wiggle room one way or the other. Negotiations revolve around such minor issues that it's hardly worth mentioning, particularly when drafting at #21.

I did know they didnt count in the off season, just flubbed on putting that in my op

I still say some part of the rookie class doesnt count fully on the overall cap...Not sure how it works, but I think I heard there is part of the lower draft picks salary that doesnt count to the cap.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I did know they didnt count in the off season, just flubbed on putting that in my op

I still say some part of the rookie class doesnt count fully on the overall cap...Not sure how it works, but I think I heard there is part of the lower draft picks salary that doesnt count to the cap.

Even late round picks and undrafted rookies count 100% towards a team´s salary cap.

Members online

Latest posts