Packers Going To The SuperBowl

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.com
You don't hear too many people talking about Green Bay defensive linemen Johnny Jolly, Ryan Pickett or Cullen Jenkins, but all three get the job done and have been key in the Packers' second-ranked defense. Throw in rookie B.J. Raji and you have a dominant front. These men have triggered the club's quick conversion to a 3-4 scheme, and make it easy for linebackers like Clay Matthews to run around and make plays.

Green Bay's offensive line was the worst in the NFL in the first half of the season, but one of the best in terms of drive blocking and pass protection in the second half. Rodgers is far too good to be able to step up in the pocket and spread the ball around.

There has been a lot of things that got fixed since the season started and that is why I think we are going to the Super Bowl this year.

Reasons:

1. Aaron is the 4th best QB in the league
2. Drive and Genning have over 1k yards this year.
3. Grant 1200 yards Rushing
4. Clay Matthews 10 sacks for the year
5. Charles Woodson 10 Picks
6. Nick Collins 6 Picks
7. #1 Rush D
8. #2 All around D

This is the Packers year to take it all.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your thinking.

However, my conrcerns are Jared Bush and Josh Bell! YIKES!

Bush seems to be playing better, but it seems like those 2 are just getting setup up to be burned on game changing plays!

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just found out Arizona is favored by 3 and I'm always curious about this. I mean, these are guys who are taking people's bets who still feel Arizona holds the upper hand?

Wow - I'm stunned.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just found out Arizona is favored by 3 and I'm always curious about this. I mean, these are guys who are taking people's bets who still feel Arizona holds the upper hand?

Wow - I'm stunned.

They are at home after all and I don't think too much stock can be put into last nights game.

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The secondary concerns me also. Minny, Philly,Saints and depending which Romo shows up Cowpies can all stretch the field and pick up blitzes. Woody has his man, Williams has seen his man.......lately, Collins is good over the top. Bigby needs to spend more time attacking the ball than the reciever and Bell and Bush should be in the penny package for a Pop Warner team. Good QB's that have a RB will rip our nickel and dime package up.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They are at home after all and I don't think too much stock can be put into last nights game.

Correct

Case in point

2004 Packers...Barley beat Minny in Minny 3 weeks prior to them meeting in GB for the playoffs..

What happened? Brett tossed 4 ints Culpepper tossed 4 tds'
It was 17-3 before we knew what happened

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sure the line will drop before Sunday, as I would assume bettors will be taking Green Bay big time.

I just don't see how Arizona can win this game, other than Mac not adjusting if things don't go properly, or Rodgers being nervous because it's his first playoff game - both of these are "iffy" if's.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to share your enthusiasm, but instead I'll take it one game at a time and see how it goes.
I do think we have a great great shot at it. A better one in years. Even better then when we had Burnt because his playoff record is pathetic. In 16 years we should have had more than two SB appearences. (I digress...)

For the Cards? Not too much of a prob. since we did what the Vikes didn't do. Beat them in AZ.
What would help me feel more confident is if we take on the Cowgirls instead of the Viqueens because, well, we beat Jerry's team and lost both times to the Queens.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The secondary concerns me also. Minny, Philly,Saints and depending which Romo shows up Cowpies can all stretch the field and pick up blitzes. Woody has his man, Williams has seen his man.......lately, Collins is good over the top. Bigby needs to spend more time attacking the ball than the reciever and Bell and Bush should be in the penny package for a Pop Warner team. Good QB's that have a RB will rip our nickel and dime package up.

You're right - the secondary is of concern, but really only against Minnesota - because it's been proven twice this season - and "maybe" Philly and New Orleans, although GB hasn't played either this season. They seemed to have played well against Dallas, however, so they don't concern me.

I think these two NFC games upcoming are compelling because the thumping the loser of each took. I'd like to think they will be good games, but ...

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If your questioning Rodgers toughness your a moron. The only other QB in the league that has been sacked as much as him is big ben who did miss a game earlier in the year. Rodgers has been hit numerous amount of times and plays with the pain just like your b/f brent. The big differance between A-Rod and brent is that after 16 seasons he wont hold the record for most INTs. :)

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
If your questioning Rodgers toughness your a moron. The only other QB in the league that has been sacked as much as him is big ben who did miss a game earlier in the year. Rodgers has been hit numerous amount of times and plays with the pain just like your b/f brent. The big differance between A-Rod and brent is that after 16 seasons he wont hold the record for most INTs. :)

I doubt he was questioning Rodgers toughness ... - LOL talk about being narrowminded and only read what you want to read into any comment ...

Look around the NFL for the recent decade and count the number of quarterbacks who have been sidelined due to injury because they have been hit / sacked during games ...

*That* was probably (read: most likely) what Hauschild was referring to, and nothing to do with whether or not Rodgers is tough or not ...

And seriously people ... Go look up the facts and look at the interception versus td's ratio ... I think you would be amazed when you look at those ...

When you have attempted as many passes as some Favre has ... AND been playing in the NFL as a starter for 19 straight seasons ... You are bound to be having a large number of interceptions as well as TDs ...

Seriously ... check those facts, then we can talk about which quarterbacks among the Hall of Famers who are more "prone" to interceptions ...

If you can't find them, I can post them here, if that will make it easier for you ?

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
I would love for you to explain to me how this does NOT sound like he is questioning the toughness of Rodgers?

It's easy ... - As I said ... take a look at the NFL (yeah, I know given the comments of alot of the posters here, it would seem that not that many actually pay attention to the rest of the NFL other than the Packers LOL) through the past decade, then count the number of quarterbacks who have been sidelined due to injuries ...

Then look at how many seasons Rodgers have had as a starter (two in five seasons) compared to Favre's 16 years in Green Bay + the 2 seasons in respectively New York and this season Minnesota ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for you to explain to me how this does NOT sound like he is questioning the toughness of Rodgers?

I'll break it down for you: Few NFL QB's last 16 years as starters - let alone guide their teams to (2) Super Bowls.

If you think I'm questioning Rodgers toughness, you're really jaded.

own3dhs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From NFL.com

There has been a lot of things that got fixed since the season started and that is why I think we are going to the Super Bowl this year.

Reasons:

1. Aaron is the 4th best QB in the league
2. Drive and Genning have over 1k yards this year.
3. Grant 1200 yards Rushing
4. Clay Matthews 10 sacks for the year
5. Charles Woodson 10 Picks
6. Nick Collins 6 Picks
7. #1 Rush D
8. #2 All around D

This is the Packers year to take it all.

sorry.... woodson has 9 picks :)

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quientus, you are probably the most condescending person on this forum.

But anyways, I DO like the Packers to go to the Superbowl.

In the interest of taking things one game at a time, I certainly think that we can beat Arizona again next week. Both teams can certainly throw the ball, but I think that we do it better. Arizona is a one dimensional team that really can't run the ball like the Pack, and plays so-so defense. If we put a double team on Darnell Dockett, we should be able to keep him out of the backfield and A-Rod should stay upright most of the game. I seriously just do not see us losing this game.

I also don't think that Rodgers is going to choke. He seems like a calm and collected guy that isn't known to throw picks and make stupid mistakes.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
But to use simple-minded arguements, without looking at the stats in context nor making the effort to actually look them up to see if they actually substantiate your claim, just make those that use them look all the more foolish ...

Try this stat - 5 NFL Championships in 7 years. No simple minded arguments there. Just bottom line fact. You can compare Brett to Marino and Payton Manning - pure passing ... but you can't compare Brett to the likes of Bradshaw, Starr, Montana ... hell ... even Brady. Those guys are winners... talk stats all you want but, being an old guy who doesn't cut 'n' paste, I'll stick with my measure of 'greatness' using the Championship method. We'll let those of you from the ESPN generation beat each other over the head with useless trivia.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't think that Rodgers is going to choke. He seems like a calm and collected guy that isn't known to throw picks and make stupid mistakes.

I'm sure Rodgers won't "choke", but he'll be nervous - everybody is.

Just keep in mind that playoff football usually entails a slightly more overwhelming pass rush. Tauscher back certainly improves this situation, but Green Bay's success will depend - like it has all season - on keeping Rodgers upright.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Try this stat - 5 NFL Championships in 7 years. No simple minded arguments there. Just bottom line fact. You can compare Brett to Marino and Payton Manning - pure passing ... but you can't compare Brett to the likes of Bradshaw, Starr, Montana ... hell ... even Brady. Those guys are winners... talk stats all you want but, being an old guy who doesn't cut 'n' paste, I'll stick with my measure of 'greatness' using the Championship method. We'll let those of you from the ESPN generation beat each other over the head with useless trivia.

Oh I'm not comparing them as such, I'm merely putting the arguements people are using into a larger context ...

Since you solely go based on Super Bowl wins, - I can understand that, - I don't agree with you, however, I can understand that ...

So unless a player has Super Bowl wins it doesn't really matter, right ? Because that is what you are saying ...

I am starting to feel sorry for your "God" ... Because he sure does has his work cut out for him then ...

I find it rather interesting that you are among those who also insistently keep bringing up ex. Rodgers stats, however, now I know that you actually find those "useless trivia", because as long as a quarterback doesn't have a Super Bowl win (atleast one Super Bowl pr. every 5 seasons played?), stats don't matter ? Right ?

The simple refusal to look at facts within a context from some of you people is mind-boggling ...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I'm not comparing them as such, I'm merely putting the arguements people are using into a larger context ...

Since you solely go based on Super Bowl wins, - I can understand that, - I don't agree with you, however, I can understand that ...

So unless a player has Super Bowl wins it doesn't really matter, right ? Because that is what you are saying ...

I am starting to feel sorry for your "God" ... Because he sure does has his work cut out for him then ...

I find it rather interesting that you are among those who also insistently keep bringing up ex. Rodgers stats, however, now I know that you actually find those "useless trivia", because as long as a quarterback doesn't have a Super Bowl win (atleast one Super Bowl pr. every 5 seasons played?), stats don't matter ? Right ?

The simple refusal to look at facts within a context from some of you people is mind-boggling ...

You are putting way to much emphasis's on stats, great QBs make great plays when they have too, but you have to watch the game to see it and know it. Stats can't and will never tell the whole story.

Facts do not equal stats, they are not the same.

OP
OP
tfrentz

tfrentz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we please stop with stats and talk about Favre and just focus on Green Bay. We need now to support our team and help them get through the road games that they are up against. This is the road to the Super Bowl!!

dewitt60

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets put those interceptions in the context of WTF WERE YOU THINKING THROWING THAT #$@&#%@ BALL TO THE 3 DEFENSIVE PLAYERS WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE BRETT.

It is all about context after all ;)

Exactly!!!!! There are not enough bytes in the cyber universe to describe the stupid wrong footed, triple coverage, hicksville I'm superman throws Bert made. In the day they were roundly excused as "live with Bert, die with Bert" I wonder what his winning record would be if he just through a few balls away instead of into quadruple coverage.

Members online

Latest posts