Packers Family Night

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my family and I went out to see what this thing was all about. I gotta say, definitely geared towards the kids. I was a little disappointed to see most of the skill players on the sidelines (Driver, Woodson, Harris, Barnett.. but that is to be expected). I didn't know what to expect, but there was not a ton of football to be watched. It was nice to see some of the rookies in uniform... that said I had some observations (keep in mind these are scrimmage observations)...

1st- Sam Shields is going to make an immediate impact on this team. He undercut a route for a pick, but it was really impressive to see his closing speed. Then he had a lot of open field awareness to take it to the house. I think he is going to be a nice piece in the DB puzzle and the kick return game.

2nd- I liked what I saw out of Underwood, he seems to be flying around and playing pretty fast.

3rd- Bulaga really is the White Buffalo a buddy of mine has been hoping for. He was snapping with the second teamers at left tackle. He really held his own. Bulaga and Neal were both going at it really hard, which was great to see.

Finally- Finley is going to be a beat-- flat out. I know he is arrogant, but this year I only expect him to make more noise. Definitely another big threat for Rodgers to throw to.

And... the punters are very average... VERY average

Let me know what you thought if you made it out to the family night.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't make it to family night but caught all the action online at fox11. I agree with all your observations. I thought Shields did a really nice job with the amount of reps that he did get. He started off a bit slow and got beat on one play, but his coverage kept getting better throughout the rest of the game. Underwood will be the key to our secondary, bank on it.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shields reminds me alot of a D. Sanders kind of player, he is fast and he makes very good plays on the ball. and if he gets his hands on it you better belive he is going to take it to the house. underwood really impressed me aswell, i wasnt sure how he would perform under the circumstances he is in with his off the field issues. but he led the team in tackles and had a INT TD. didnt see much of bulaga and neal. i was just keeping my eye on the defense to see how well they would play under their second year in the 34 defense. rodgers was looking pretty sharp like always. and flynn really is starting to scare me with his eratic play. we need a vetran back up.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was there at Family night.

I saw Justin Harrell in there playing, which is positive. Mason Crosby was nailing those field goals. Shields and Underwood looked good. Bulaga looked comfortable. Finley sure has got some good hands.

Oh, I dug the fireworks also.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I skipped family night this yr even though I had tixs since I was at camp thursday. One thing I forgot to mention in other posts was a tattoo that rookie TE Quarless had that said "GODS GIFT" down his triceps. Only slightly cocky...

JasonClary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchises tend to do this to et the kids especially excited about the team. Their attention spans are usually minimal, so to keep them as life long fans, it is a marketing technique.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I skipped family night this yr even though I had tixs since I was at camp thursday. One thing I forgot to mention in other posts was a tattoo that rookie TE Quarless had that said "GODS GIFT" down his triceps. Only slightly cocky...
Could also mean that he's thinking that his talent is a gift from God.
:morpheus:

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont remember what thread it was in but someone stated they thought the new punters looked average at best. Which I guess isnt bad after last year.

I thought they both looked decent and it appears that who ever gets the job will be Crosby's place holder. So it could end up being who's the better place holder that gets the job.

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone knows to take it all with a grain of salt. Family Night mostly sparked my interest in specific players for upcoming preseason games.

I'm looking to see more from Sheilds. His return was impressive, scrimmage or not. I'm also looking forward to watching the secondary more. I can't help but think of last season's preseason hero Anthony Smith. After a successful preseason, it was revealed later that he didn't stick to his assignments well and no of his colleagues trusted him on the field. I don't think this was the case with Underwood, but he and Sheilds will be people I will be rewatched as I rewind in slow motion.

Finley also looks more fluid and confident on his routes this year. It was obvious he was Rodgers favorite target still. Yet even if defenses decide to take him out of the equation how are they going to compensate for Jennings, Driver, and James and Nelson who both appear to be making steps forward. If only they could get more passing yards out of their RBs.

I will also be looking at Quinn (how he pick-up the blitz, catches screens/dumpoffs, and how he follows blocks). He looks to have a shot at making the roster, especially if Starks starts on PUP.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone knows to take it all with a grain of salt. Family Night mostly sparked my interest in specific players for upcoming preseason games.

I'm looking to see more from Sheilds. His return was impressive, scrimmage or not. I'm also looking forward to watching the secondary more. I can't help but think of last season's preseason hero Anthony Smith. After a successful preseason, it was revealed later that he didn't stick to his assignments well and no of his colleagues trusted him on the field. I don't think this was the case with Underwood, but he and Sheilds will be people I will be rewatched as I rewind in slow motion.

Finley also looks more fluid and confident on his routes this year. It was obvious he was Rodgers favorite target still. Yet even if defenses decide to take him out of the equation how are they going to compensate for Jennings, Driver, and James and Nelson who both appear to be making steps forward. If only they could get more passing yards out of their RBs.

I will also be looking at Quinn (how he pick-up the blitz, catches screens/dumpoffs, and how he follows blocks). He looks to have a shot at making the roster, especially if Starks starts on PUP.
Yes. Truth is, we don't know what the coaches are looking for specifically, so even if a player seems to perform well to us, he could just have been lucky against the #2s.

Members online

Latest posts