Packers & Falcons-What are you going to be looking for?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I like Vick and think he is a good quarterback but he is getting too much credit and its like the hype is always a step ahead of him

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
So overrated is defined by winning a Super Bowl, three MVP awards and signing a 100 million dollar contract?

Are we talking present tense or past tense? I would actually say that Favre is underrated at this point in his career. Outside of GB, people think that Favre is entirely washed up. While I enjoyed all 29 picks last year, that will NOT happen again.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will not be upset if the OL sucks it up again. I will maintain that this is a preseason game and that a new group of 5 has been installed. I will not get pissed if our TE is the best blocker we have and that an RB cannot p/u a blitzing LB.
I will be pleasantly surprised if the zone blocking does get some gaps going and our RB's have some success. This in fact may allow for some play action which could allow the receivers to show off what they have. I will be surprised to see AC not holding and our LB's covering as well.
Lastly I do not want to see any injuries to our promising young players and/or starters.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be looking for the game to be over as soon as possible, after the first quarter is played.

The first two pre-season games are not pretty to watch, but as a fan they have little nuggets of information on the season ahead that one can pick up that are interesting. However, most of those nuggets of course are in the first quarter.

I will be looking for a little nastiness from A.J. Hawk. Perhaps a Ted “Kick him in the headâ€

Pudge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RaiderPride said:
I will be looking for Vick to amaze me with his wheels, and disappoint me with his gun. That is Vick. I hope he can go through the season without an injury because he is a good person. But…. Sorry, he will start perhaps 10 games max.
Vick will probably get hurt at some point this year, but he probably won't suffer any injuries that serious. In 3 out of the 4 years he's been a starter, he's only missed 1 start, and in one of those years (2004), it was for the purpose of saving him for the playoffs.

So overrated is defined by winning a Super Bowl, three MVP awards and signing a 100 million dollar contract?
Yes, Favre was once a great QB. But what has he done lately? What has he really done over the past 7-8 years though? He's made 3 Pro Bowls since 1997. I look at what some other QBs have done since 1997, and it makes me wonder just how good Favre is?

Rich Gannon went to 4 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl, and won an MVP between 1998-04.
Kurt Warner went to 3 Pro Bowls, 2 Super Bowls and won 2 MVPs between 1999-05.
Brad Johnson went to 2 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl between 1998-05.
Peyton Manning went to 6 Pro Bowls between 1998-05.
Steve McNair went to 2 Pro Bowls and won 1 MVP between 1998-05.
Trent Dilfer went to 2 Pro Bowls and 1 Super Bowl between 1998-05.

Not including players like Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger who have already surpassed him, you look at what Favre has done over the past 7-8 years, and you wonder just how good of a QB is he.

I'm not arguing Favre's legacy. He will have a greater legacy than any of those 6 QBs I mentioned above when you look at his overall career. But I've heard numerous times that Favre is the greatest QB to ever play, and that just makes me laugh.

Why? Is it because of his toughness and playing streak? He's no tougher than Steve McNair, who for most of his career was so injured that he couldn't even practice each week. Is it his arm strength? Doubt it. Is it his achievements such as Pro Bowls, MVPS, and Super Bowls? Plenty of QBs have won those things. Is it just because he's the QB with the most passing yards and TDs that has actually won a Super Bowl? Probably. But I'm sure if you weighted Favre's passing statistics based off the era he played in, you would find his numbers not so impressive.

Favre is probably the 8th or 9th greatest QB to ever play the game, and that's when you focus almost exclusively on the first 5 or 6 years in the league.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just want to see a packers victory over the Falcons.
i also want to see the ol improve like most packer fans want.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent post, Filthy.

Like most people, I will be watching the O-line most closely. The switch that was made this week showed that the situation up there is pretty dire, with our second round pick being benched after starting since the minicamps and the RG rotated into his spot. That was more than just a wake-up call, it was a huge change.

I will be looking for some fire from the entire team. They didn't look like they were having much fun out there against the Chargers. Maybe the coaches should mix up the play-calling a little more, on both sides of the ball, to get them in a more aggressive frame of mind. I know it's just preseason, and you don't have to play to win, but it's not good for a young team like this to get rolled every week.

The D-line needs to prove itself after a poor performance against the Chargers. Unlike the O-line, these guys are experienced and do not have any kind of new scheme to learn. Plus, the poor performance of our O-line against the Chargers makes me wonder why the D-line has not been more dominant in practice.

Fergy/Jennings/Gardner will be fun to watch as they compete for the #2, 3, and 4 WR positions.

As for the #5, Cory Rodgers is fading fast, Boerigter is fading slowly, and Ruvell Martin is making a push for a roster spot. We really need Rodgers to get his act together, as he is the most talented of the three.

OP
OP
F

FilthySouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Thanks for the excellent post, Filthy.

Like most people, I will be watching the O-line most closely. The switch that was made this week showed that the situation up there is pretty dire, with our second round pick being benched after starting since the minicamps and the RG rotated into his spot. That was more than just a wake-up call, it was a huge change.

I will be looking for some fire from the entire team. They didn't look like they were having much fun out there against the Chargers. Maybe the coaches should mix up the play-calling a little more, on both sides of the ball, to get them in a more aggressive frame of mind. I know it's just preseason, and you don't have to play to win, but it's not good for a young team like this to get rolled every week.

The D-line needs to prove itself after a poor performance against the Chargers. Unlike the O-line, these guys are experienced and do not have any kind of new scheme to learn. Plus, the poor performance of our O-line against the Chargers makes me wonder why the D-line has not been more dominant in practice.

Fergy/Jennings/Gardner will be fun to watch as they compete for the #2, 3, and 4 WR positions.

As for the #5, Cory Rodgers is fading fast, Boerigter is fading slowly, and Ruvell Martin is making a push for a roster spot. We really need Rodgers to get his act together, as he is the most talented of the three.

Thanks for the response. I can't believe how much people dislike Vick around this league. Not that it phases me. What would I expect going from board to board on game weeks. A little trash talk is great for the soul. But I'm not here to bash, boast, or beleaguer. I just want to talk football, and get the perspective that other teams have. Gives me something else to look for on game day. I appreciate everyones constructive posts, and heck, even the not so constructive ones. So, heres to an injury free game. I think that is something that we can all agree on.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just between you and me, Filthy, I think a lot of Packer fans hate Vick because he torched us in our first-ever playoff loss at Lambeau Field a few years ago. I think he's fun to watch and is a good QB overall, but too much of an injury risk to be counted on week-in and week-out.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I'll look for this week is some indications that the Packers are a legitimate NFL football team that, at the very least, has a chance of winning every week.

Didn't see any signs of that last week.

OP
OP
F

FilthySouth

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Just between you and me, Filthy, I think a lot of Packer fans hate Vick because he torched us in our first-ever playoff loss at Lambeau Field a few years ago. I think he's fun to watch and is a good QB overall, but too much of an injury risk to be counted on week-in and week-out.

Without a doubt, he's an injury risk. Thats why it is so important for the Falcons to always have a reliable back-up at the QB position. It could potentially mean a few extra losses every year without one. Take a look at Matt Schaub this weekend. He's a great back-up in my opinion. I love Vick and never want to see him miss a snap, but history tells us that he will miss a view, so I'm glad I like the guy behind him too.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
All I'll look for this week is some indications that the Packers are a legitimate NFL football team that, at the very least, has a chance of winning every week.

Didn't see any signs of that last week.

agree

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just sayin this cause i dont think any one else has-
-AJ- looked better as the game went on, will he start where he left off last week and continue progression at the same rate?

-O-line, I think we're all just lookin for one play with good pass protection from all five starters.

-more then 60 yds from any RB

-Manuel getting some snaps

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies, so I'm sure what I'll be watching for has already been mentioned:

1: Improved play all along the O-Line. QB's gotta have time. RBs gotta have holes.
2: I'd really like to see the first team offense accomplish something positive.
3: I'd like to see someone step up as #2 WR - I don't care who.
4: I want to see less fullback and more two-TE.
5: Oh, and hey! As long as there's TEs on the field, throw them the ball once in a while - they like that...
6: Yes, I know they spent all their time blocking in the backfield on Saturday.
7: I'd like to see Green play - even just for one series.
8: Damn. That's 8 things already - just on offense.
9: More decisiveness from Hawk. He's got tools, he needs the mindset.
10: Better CB play. We should have one of the best nickel packages in football - but we sure didn't on Saturday.
11: Collins. I didn't hear his name once against the Chargers. Did he play?
12: Looking forward to seeing Manuel. Is he playing this week?
13: I want to see our front four generate some pressure - any pressure.
14: Shorter get-off times from Ryan.
15: Looking for any signs of life from any kick returner.

On a purely selfish and childish level, I'd really like to see Michael Vick stink it up. I've never liked him...

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with all about vick he's a one man band seems to me he just likes himself,to play the game as far asur team,the o-line for sure but more the protection,on the quaterback i think the rest will fall into place even the run game but you need the frount line to open up some holes, im conerned about our retutn kicks like last year they need to keep the oing team iside their 20 at least and like yall said more pressure on the qb i would like to see the more aggrisve team we are to be :D

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope to see the offense line to be better from the last game, so that means I also hope to see Brett Favre on his feet instead of his butt.

Staff online

Latest posts