Packers dropped the ball in week 2

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packersnews.com (Driver rules!) :

Dropped passes plague Packers' offense

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

After catching eight passes for 153 yards on Sunday, Packers receiver Donald Driver stood at his locker and shook his head.

There was nothing Driver could do to enjoy his accomplishments. After all, Green Bay had lost a frustrating game to the New Orleans Saints, and Driver was dissatisfied with the play of his fellow receivers.

Quite simply, there were too many dropped passes.

"Everybody who dropped a ball today, believe me, they've got to go home and look themselves in the mirror," Driver said. "It's a lack of concentration, and there's no excuse for it."

Packers tight end Bubba Franks is usually a reliable receiving threat, but he had a couple drops that will linger in his memory.

"I know I dropped more than my share," Franks said. "I think we were all trying to do too much, and we lost our concentration."

Favre was careful to not be overly critical about the dropped passes.

"It's frustrating, but I'm sure it's frustrating when I miss open guys or make the wrong reads," Favre said. "When a guy drops the ball, I don't think he does it on purpose. And when a guy misses a block, I don't think he does it on purpose."

The Packers' coaching staff was a little less forgiving.

"Drops are unacceptable," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "You have a responsibility. If the ball is thrown to you, you need to make the play."

Coach Mike McCarthy agreed.

"We dropped way too many balls today," McCarthy said. "Way too many."

Packers receiver Robert Ferguson, who caught just one pass, a 4-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter, estimated that there were at least 10 drops.

"I think we were in double digits," Ferguson said. "Drops are drive killers, momentum killers, all those things rolled into one."

Running back Ahman Green was quick to step up as one of the culprits.

"I don't know how many we had, but I think I had four or five," Green said. "It's not like us, but it happened."

Franks said after the Packers blew their early 13-0 lead, the receivers focused too much on making a big play after the catch and too little on making the catch.

"I know with me, I was trying to turn every 5-yard pass into a home run, and I know I took my eyes off the ball," Franks said. "You've got to catch it before you run with it. It sounds simple, but it's something we didn't do today."

Driver said he didn't think Favre lost confidence in the receivers on Sunday.

"We always said we had to earn his trust. I think the receivers have pretty much earned it," Driver said. "We just didn't show it today. We can always do better, and we just need to make sure we go out next time and play the way we're capable of playing, because we didn't do that today."

-------------------
The veterans and the coaches summed it up nicely! I expect this to be improved and not much of an issue in week 3.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good article.

its a good thing that they know what they did wrong and now they just need to wirk on fixing the problem.

the first step to solveing a problem is admiting that you have one.

now they have one more step to go.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just wasnt our game to win...if we keep improving like I believe we are we will win some games...we also need someone other then Collins defending the pass...he just looked like he couldnt keep up...I hope they get Robinson ready to go by next game, another target for Brett...we sure need more then just DD...

Members online

Latest posts