Packers don't seem interested in Smith

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As has been their habit in free agency, the Green Bay Packers did not move to sign fullback Terrelle Smith immediately after his official visit.

Smith, who was released by the Cleveland Browns last week, has a history with Packers coach Mike McCarthy from their days together with the New Orleans Saints.

The 6-foot, 255-pound Smith spent the day with Packers officials Tuesday but left without a deal.

The Packers seek a replacement for recently released fullback William Henderson and competition for starter Brandon Miree. Smith is more physical than Miree but Miree has the agility the club likes in a zone-blocking fullback.

Smith, 29, is expected to visit Arizona soon and has also drawn interest from Tampa Bay and Kansas City. The Cardinals appear to be the front-runners because Smith played at Arizona State and would be playing for running backs coach Maurice Carthon, who was on the Browns' staff.

The Packers don't appear to be in a rush to sign him, but if they were impressed with Smith they have the ability to make a strong bid.

Meanwhile, former Packers fullback Vonta Leach, who was released before the season opener last season, signed a four-year, $8 million restricted free-agent deal with the New York Giants. Houston, which picked up Leach after the Packers released him, has the right to match the offer.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where the Giants signed Leach to a nice contract. Good for him, he was a class act. So now the Giants have Jacobs, Droughns and Leach. Thats one bruising backfield. 3 Jackhammers. I feel sorry for LB's

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free-agent fullback isn't sold on Packers

Free-agent fullback Terrelle Smith, who visited the Green Bay Packers on Tuesday, could be on the verge of signing a contract — but not necessarily with the Packers.

Smith’s agent, Ryan Tollner, said his client was visiting the Arizona Cardinals today.

“I expect over the next day or so, Terrelle will make a decision where’s going to play,” Tollner said.

The 6-foot, 246-pound Smith, 29, is an eight-year veteran who last played for the Cleveland Browns. He’s familiar with Packers coach Mike McCarthy from their days with the New Orleans Saints.

The Packers have only one fullback with significant NFL experience on their roster. That’s Brandon Miree, who split time with William Henderson last season.

Reaction score
Is it just me that is a bit, um tired(?), of reading that almost all potential Free Agents that have come in for a visit have had ties to McCarthy?

Anyways, I think we pick up a FB on the 2nd day to compete with Miree. TT is just looking at different options, nothing more really IMO.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Free-agent fullback Terrelle Smith, who visited the Green Bay Packers on Tuesday, could be on the verge of signing a contract — but not necessarily with the Packers.

Smith’s agent, Ryan Tollner, said his client was visiting the Arizona Cardinals today.

“I expect over the next day or so, Terrelle will make a decision where’s going to play,” Tollner said.

The 6-foot, 246-pound Smith, 29, is an eight-year veteran who last played for the Cleveland Browns. He’s familiar with Packers coach Mike McCarthy from their days with the New Orleans Saints.

The Packers have only one fullback with significant NFL experience on their roster. That’s Brandon Miree, who split time with William Henderson last season.

pyledriver, you're just a Debbie Downer. :sad:

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

pyledriver, you're just a Debbie Downer. :sad:

I didn't write it, I was just reporting the latest news

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares about a damn fullback. The only one I wanted was Justin Griffith but we should be fine with Miree unless something really comes out that would be a lot better option then him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith would be a good signing for competition but I wouldn't jump all over Ted Thompson for not making it happen and I wouldn't put the Packers in the Super Bowl if the signing was made too. (Both figures of speech)

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a fullback is the most likely option.

I find it odd that GB is going into what could be Favre's final campaign with a backfield found at the Goodwill store.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LRon McLein would be a nice pickup in the draft. Hes the next Lorenzo neal they say.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this article and was looking for the part that described what he wasn't sold on. It doesn't say anything about that.

What exactly is he not sold on?

The very next thing I read quotes his agent as saying he was VERY IMPRESSED with everything he saw on his visit to GB and has had a history with MM in New Orleans.

It would be nice if they headline an article to at least expound on it.

It might as well said "the guy likes oranges" and then says nothing about oranges at all. Makes no sense to me.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a fullback is the most likely option.

I find it odd that GB is going into what could be Favre's final campaign with a backfield found at the Goodwill store.

I find it odd that so many people think that Brett's 'last year' should be heavily invested in, just to get him to the Super Bowl.

First, this isn't his last year. Write it down.

Second, we are still over 30 days away from the draft. I wouldn't say that's exactly 'entering' the season. There's a lot of time left.

Third, The Green Bay Packers are not going to screw over all of the young, talented players who play for (usually) much lower than league average at thier positions by bringing in a bunch of older FA's who will be much less effective when these young, hard working players reach thier prime.

But yeah, we should have totally gone for broke just to get Mighty Brett to another SB.

:soapbox:

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the Giants runninggame, their backfield isn't impressing me.

I love the Giants backfield. Jacobs is a beast, Droughns is a above average back-up and Leach is a great blocking FB. Just line um up and run it right down the D's throat!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
GONE...

CARDS SIGN SMITH

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Arizona Cardinals have agreed to terms fullback Terrelle Smith to a two-year deal.

A league source tells us that the contract is essentially a one-year "prove-it" deal, and that if Smith shows he can fill the lead-blocker role in coach Ken Whisenhunt's system, the contract will be extended. If not, it will end up being a one-season relationship.

Smith was recently cut by the Browns, and several other teams were interested, including the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts