Packers don't rule out signing Vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Asked about Michael Vick at a press conference Tuesday, Packers G.M. Ted Thompson took the Bill Belichick approach: He said what he says about every free agent."Uh, what is the answer that we give to questions like this? We're always...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I know this is massive speculation, but man this would be interesting! Not sure how I would feel about this but I would let him play a couple pre-season games as a receiver or something, LOL.

Thoughts???

lambeauharrier

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the more i think about it, the more i like it...obviously AR is going to be our starting QB next year, but as they were saying on NFLTA, you could bring in vick in on new(wildcat) packages. This would be a great addition onto an already exciting offense.
Think of those sleepless nights for Minny's and Chicago's D-co ordinators :D

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vick would definitely give us a COMPLETELY different look on offense. Hell, we could put Vick and Rodgers in and have the defense completely guessing... It just seems to late to get that going this year though, would make for something interesting.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Childress said they weren't interested in Vick.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think every team could of said, "We thought about it." Packers just happen to be the latest one to express interest.

OP
OP
News Bot

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Report: Packers are looking at signing Vick

Last week, Chris Myers of FOX Sports Radio reported that the Vikings were doing their homework regarding the possibility of signing quarterback Mike Vick.Owner Zygi Wilf promptly slammed the door on the possibility. (Just like he did in February regarding...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I merged two threads talking about Vick..One was in Viking section? and one was in Packers..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won't sign him. It's just the way TT does business. Never discards an option. Analyzes everything.
But I would NOT like it. I've said over at packerslounge.com that Goodell shouldn't deny Vick to play in the NFL, because he has served his time. But one thing is to prohibit an ex-con to have a job, another is to actually give him the job. I would never stop cheering for the packers. But would definitely boo him and stop looking at the game if he went to the field. He served his time, but I will never support him.

Briznock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would gladly support him in his comeback. Everyone makes mistakes. Some larger than others and if they have paid their debt to society and truly want to make a change for the better... Awesome. I'd gladly welcome him to Lambeau.

I would like to bring up another point... How is it that Vick gets 23 months for his ordeal (which I still think he was sold out by his buddies) and Dante Stallworth gets 24 DAYS for killing a MAN while driving drunk.

Its a truly screwed up world we live in.

Don't get me wrong. I am a HUUUGGGEEE lovers of animals and dogs in particular, but c'mon

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sound like the packers and their fans are real confident in their starting QB if they are looking at Vick!

Briznock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong... We aren't that confident in our BACKUPS and who wouldn't want that kind of speed on the field if we could get him cheap?

They wouldn't sign Vick to be the QB. They would sign him for his athleticism. If Rodgers went down he would be a decent choice over Brohm and Flynn.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope that the Pack does not sign him. I am a huge supporter of Rodgers and don't think it would be a good move. I like the idea of a vetern QB being brought in, but strictly as a back up. I know that the team is not considering Vick as a starter, but he will never see himself as a back up QB. I do realize that there are not that many decent vetern QB's that are available for this role, I have confidence in TT making the right decision. So I guess I see his talent, but think be might create a problem in the locker room. :jester:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong... We aren't that confident in our BACKUPS and who wouldn't want that kind of speed on the field if we could get him cheap?

They wouldn't sign Vick to be the QB. They would sign him for his athleticism. If Rodgers went down he would be a decent choice over Brohm and Flynn.

You ask "who wouldn't want that kind of speed on the field if you could get him cheap?"

Well.... there are 20 NFL teams and counting that have said they want nothing to do with Vick.
Because Stallworth bought his way out of his problems with cash does not mean that Micheal Vick is suddenly a swell guy.
Vick went beyond breaking federal gambling laws and beyond the law against dog fighting.
The stuff that he was doing takes a sick twisted mind.

If this were the Vikings who were not ruling out this sack of s**t then this thread would have taken on a whole different tone.
The things that he has done are far worse than the whole Onterrio Smith "Whizzinator" show and Packer fans spent a good year ripping that guy because he had a drug problem and tried to hide it.
Then another year making fun of the "Love Boat" thing.
Packer fans ripped Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson and rightfully so.
They were turds and they were cut and if a thug life team like the Bengals welcomes them then that is their problem.

Why would you want Vick on your team?
Even if you forget about his idiotic behavior that landed him in prison, his QB numbers suck and the only thing that he was ever good at was running the ball and he has not seen a football field in two years.

He had it made even though he was never anything more than media hype and he pissed it all away because he wanted to be "gangsta" with his low life friends.
Let him find the same kind of jobs that every other ex-con is offered.

sweetvalleyhigh

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Whatever, I hope the packers sign him at least there will be something exciting about the packers offense.

Briznock

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those 20 teams don't want Vick because with him comes a media frenzy and lots of people *****ing about them signing this guy after he did such horrendous things. If this stuff didn't follwo him, everyone would want him for that cheap.

Again, I know he funded that knowingly or not, but I'm still not I believe that he was THERE and his buddies pulled him down with them to get off light. I'll admit that I haven't followed the story since shortly before he was sentenced and could definitely be wrong, but I figured I would have seen that evidence.

I don't think he is suddenly a good guy... I think he has become a better one over 23 months to think about it.

I never said he would be our QB... I said he would be the backup in a pinch and would bring a speedy weapon to the field.

You're packing me into the wrong group Philtraion. And you are trying to put words in my posts. Read my stuff, respond accordingly.

I'm sorry you have this NEED to keep terrible arguments going by assuming and inputting your own thoughts, but it doesn't work with me. You seem to know a little bit about this stuff and could be good one to banter with, but respond to what I type... Not what you have heard other type before and whatever it is that you want to hear.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree that everyone deserves 2nd chances. Vick is too much of a distraction for GB right now though. If you thought last season's circus was bad, this would eclipse that fiasco quicker than a teen tattle twitter.

TT won't ever show his hand - thus the indifferent response. He could care less if the media waste time & space based on his vague ramblings.

What may be possible is a keep-away tactic - a backfield with AD & Vick could prove lethal in MN. TT may just pay a league minimum salary to keep that tandem from materializing.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those 20 teams don't want Vick because with him comes a media frenzy and lots of people *****ing about them signing this guy after he did such horrendous things. If this stuff didn't follwo him, everyone would want him for that cheap.

Again, I know he funded that knowingly or not, but I'm still not I believe that he was THERE and his buddies pulled him down with them to get off light. I'll admit that I haven't followed the story since shortly before he was sentenced and could definitely be wrong, but I figured I would have seen that evidence.

I don't think he is suddenly a good guy... I think he has become a better one over 23 months to think about it.

I never said he would be our QB... I said he would be the backup in a pinch and would bring a speedy weapon to the field.

You're packing me into the wrong group Philtraion. And you are trying to put words in my posts. Read my stuff, respond accordingly.

I'm sorry you have this NEED to keep terrible arguments going by assuming and inputting your own thoughts, but it doesn't work with me. You seem to know a little bit about this stuff and could be good one to banter with, but respond to what I type... Not what you have heard other type before and whatever it is that you want to hear.

I am not fighting with you man.
This is nothing personal at all and you don’t have to get offended just because I may disagree with you. It is no big deal.

Really.
I said “Packer fans” and you have only posted a handful of comments on this site so I obviously was not saying that it was you personally who said this stuff.
I have read, posted and traded thousand of comments here and you were never in the discussion.

I did read the transcripts from his indictment and he is a sick person.

The luster from his overrated star was starting to wear off before the whole dog torture thing became public.
The fans in Atlanta were starting to see him for what he really was and that was not a real NFL QB that can take you where you want to go.
Then he gets caught with his secret water bottle stash at the airport and starts flipping off his own fans.
If you look up his passing stats there is nothing to back up the hype that was showered on Vick.
Rex Grossman was a better QB and he was booed out of town.

I agree with your saying that teams do not want him around because of the media frenzy and the bad PR that he would bring with him.
They are right.
He is not worth it because his talent was never that great.
The coaches and management in the NFL know that but there are plenty of fans that think of the NFL as just another version of Madden. They don’t get it. They bought into the hype.
The Packers just went through there own media circus a couple of years ago because of Brett Favre and they have taken the high road on that one ever since.
Aaron Rodgers was thrown into the middle of that mess for no fault of his own and you have to admit that it was a dumb distraction to the Packers.
They have moved on and that was the right thing to do and them dipping their toes into the scum-tainted waters of Micheal Vick’s world should be the last thing on their mind.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not fighting with you man.
This is nothing personal at all and you don’t have to get offended just because I may disagree with you. It is no big deal.

Really.
I said “Packer fans” and you have only posted a handful of comments on this site so I obviously was not saying that it was you personally who said this stuff.
I have read, posted and traded thousand of comments here and you were never in the discussion.

I did read the transcripts from his indictment and he is a sick person.

The luster from his overrated star was starting to wear off before the whole dog torture thing became public.
The fans in Atlanta were starting to see him for what he really was and that was not a real NFL QB that can take you where you want to go.
Then he gets caught with his secret water bottle stash at the airport and starts flipping off his own fans.
If you look up his passing stats there is nothing to back up the hype that was showered on Vick.
Rex Grossman was a better QB and he was booed out of town.

I agree with your saying that teams do not want him around because of the media frenzy and the bad PR that he would bring with him.
They are right.
He is not worth it because his talent was never that great.
The coaches and management in the NFL know that but there are plenty of fans that think of the NFL as just another version of Madden. They don’t get it. They bought into the hype.
The Packers just went through there own media circus a couple of years ago because of Brett Favre and they have taken the high road on that one ever since.
Aaron Rodgers was thrown into the middle of that mess for no fault of his own and you have to admit that it was a dumb distraction to the Packers.
They have moved on and that was the right thing to do and them dipping their toes into the scum-tainted waters of Micheal Vick’s world should be the last thing on their mind.
Good to have you back, man. I think someone was using your account.
-
You are dead right, even about packer fans (even though you're ranting more than making an argument). Very few don't wear the Green and Gold glasses. And thanks Jennings for that. Imagine if we were like the Giants, who boo their SB team? Awful. If you're wearing the sacred mantle, you're good. Unless you're Tony Moll or (ugh) Jarett Bush. No pack fan is that blind.
-
And about vick, not only it would be a pain in the ***, but he doesn't fit our scheme at all. Even though MM is a great offensive mind, and could very well make some plays for him, a Qb with zero accuracy and a big arm wouldn't help us in any way. Let's face it, if Rodgers goes down, unless Brohm gets the nfl speed quickly, or Flynn starts being more than a checkdown Qb, or unless we trade for a decent Qb, we're doomed.
-
Doughsellz, I see your point, but I doubt TT would sacrifice his team and his money just to hurt another team. TT's not the kind of GM that worries about other teams...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If I could pick one player in the NFL to run my Wildcat, it'd be Vick (if he didn't lose like 7 steps while in jail). I think he'd add a whole new layer to our offense. As for the "it's too late to sign him" argument, he's probably suspended for the first 6 weeks of the regular season. There's ample time for him to learn his role in the offense, which if I were McCarthy would be 5 to 10 plays a game from a variety of positions. QB, WR, RB, Punt and Kick Returner, i'd use him everywhere. As for the morals and ethics argument, Vick did his time in prison, he paid his debt to society, and if he's a changed man, i'd love to be the team to give him his second chance.

Whatever, I hope the packers sign him at least there will be something exciting about the packers offense.

Oh, and that made me laugh. Bears fans calling the Packers offense boring?!? I think back to the **** and dunk Bears of the early 2000's. The team that had Anthony Thomas and a bunch of other people of average talent throwing 5 yard outs or running straight up the middle all the way down the field. Grant you that team won a division title, but it was boring as hell to watch. Especially compared to last year's Packers, which was full of explosion in the passing game (not so much with the running though).

GrandMstrBud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year TT, in my opinion, made the worst decision in Packers history. This would not top it but I would not support the team if they signed this POS player. He needs to go to the Raiders or Cowboys because we don't need that trash in Green Bay. I don't care if he served his time either because no matter what he does not deserve to play for the Packers. What he did was just sick and personally I don’t think he should play in the NFL period. What kind of image is that for the NFL anyway? Well that’s my opinion on this whole situation.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to have you back, man. I think someone was using your account.
-
You are dead right, even about packer fans (even though you're ranting more than making an argument). Very few don't wear the Green and Gold glasses. And thanks Jennings for that. Imagine if we were like the Giants, who boo their SB team? Awful. If you're wearing the sacred mantle, you're good. Unless you're Tony Moll or (ugh) Jarett Bush. No pack fan is that blind.
-
And about vick, not only it would be a pain in the ***, but he doesn't fit our scheme at all. Even though MM is a great offensive mind, and could very well make some plays for him, a Qb with zero accuracy and a big arm wouldn't help us in any way. Let's face it, if Rodgers goes down, unless Brohm gets the nfl speed quickly, or Flynn starts being more than a checkdown Qb, or unless we trade for a decent Qb, we're doomed.
-
Doughsellz, I see your point, but I doubt TT would sacrifice his team and his money just to hurt another team. TT's not the kind of GM that worries about other teams...

Brohm was a very good QB in college and I thought that the Packers were right in taking him.
If they get into any blow out games this season they need to get him in there so he can be ready when and if he is needed.
The Bears need to do the same with Caleb Hanie because they are in the same boat as the Packers with their QBs.
One guy who can get it done and a couple of question marks waiting in the wings.

When Rodgers finally got into a game in Green Bay he broke his foot and then was hurt again last year in his first full season.
He played very well but you never know if he is going to have an injury prone career or even take a freak hit and be gone for the year.

He has not proven that he is durable yet.

Having Michael Vick on your team just so you can run a few Wild Cat formations is a waste of a roster spot in my opinion.
The Wild Cat is an old formation that played out years ago and now that it has been brought back from the dead you know that every NFL defense is preparing for it.

It was the buzz word of the season last year and the surprise element is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts