Packers defense will use more personnel, less scheme

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More important than their "more personnel, less scheme" mantra is that they've said they are working to match the scheme to the players' abilities, versus forcing players to fit into the scheme. I don't care what sport you talk about, but there is no universal scheme that works season to season. Even Phil Jackson's triangle offense was tweaked and tailored each year for the players on the roster. Coaches need to figure out what scheme or version of their preferred scheme will highlight and make best use of their players' abilities. If you don't, you are merely pounding square pegs into round holes instead of making square holes for the pegs to fit through.

I hope that Capers and the Packers in general are switching to more of this coaching philosophy.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am a big believer in rotations to keep guys fresh. not only for the game, but the whole season. more guys mean fresher guys which means less injuries... good stuff

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really happy to read this. Scheme and alignment, etc. - when you start getting too obsessed with that stuff, I think the players start over-thinking their assignments and they kinda forget to just play. Just base it on down and distance of the opponent and put the best guys out there on each play. That said, the only way this works, is with no key injuries. The last few seasons, even if they wanted to do this, they wouldn't have been able to. Too many injuries means a badly depleted roster.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I was really happy to read this. Scheme and alignment, etc. - when you start getting too obsessed with that stuff, I think the players start over-thinking their assignments and they kinda forget to just play. Just base it on down and distance of the opponent and put the best guys out there on each play. That said, the only way this works, is with no key injuries. The last few seasons, even if they wanted to do this, they wouldn't have been able to. Too many injuries means a badly depleted roster.

The injuries over the last few seasons probably played a big part in reducing the different schemes for the defense. It will be easier for inexperienced players to replace an injured guy now as they don´t have to learn 15 different schemes within a single personnel group.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope this change is dramatic enough to reinvigorate Capers. He has had a history of turning around defenses upon his arrival at a new team and then seeing them slip over time. That’s certainly happened in Green Bay, although I believe a higher-than-NFL average number of injuries has played a part, too. To the extent this is a “new start” for him, all the better. To be fair, according to McCarthy they intended on making some changes on defense last season and injuries prevented them from doing so.

It’s no secret the Packers are a draft & develop team so IMO it’s on Capers for making his schemes so complex young players have trouble contributing. Of course defenses have to be somewhat complex: Unless you have a defense filled with pro bowlers, NFL offenses can take advantage of simple schemes, repeated over and over again. But going from, according to Capers, 15 different things within one package to 5 or 6 doesn’t seem like going too far in the ‘simplistic’ direction, since there are multiple packages.

H

HardRightEdge

The way it's being described, it's not "less scheme" per se...it's less scheme variation within each personnel package.

In other words, we'll probably see the same array of alignments, maybe more so with all of the "elephant" talk, however the personnel will be more specialized to specific alignments, i.e., fewer 3-down players.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts