Packers D of 96'

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got done watching highlights from Super Bowl XXXI on NFLN. Love to have that defense now especially front 4. We would have probably been 19-0.

L

Lunchboxer

I miss those days. We had other guys helping Reggie White out.

If Clay Mathews had some help on the oppside side he could of been the DPOY

D

Dan115

I was watching also. I had to turn it off in the 4th qtr of the 97 team's Super Bowl. Bad day.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because of the antics of #4 in the past 5 years off the field, and because of his HORRIBLE play in the post-season in the past 12 years, I just can't stand that guy and because of him, that 1996 season is a bit tainted for me.

I can't enjoy it as much as before.

However, I did rewatch it the other day with my kid and was reminded that it was Desmond Howard, then Reggie White, that really sealed and win that Super Bowl.

#4 was only 14-27, which is Alex Smith type numbers these days.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The 1996 and 1997 team both had a problem like the 2010 and 2011 teams, hate to say it but it's true.

1996, showed this team could rule. But in 1997, the problems were rising. You could see the age in them when they'd give up over a 100 rushing yards and just look lost out there like the lost to a winless Colts team. Still not as bad as the 2011 defense, but I do think something went wrong. Like over time someone figured the defense out in '97, and next thing you know someone smart puts 2 and 2 together and comes up with a way to beat them (Denver).

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 1996 and 1997 team both had a problem like the 2010 and 2011 teams, hate to say it but it's true.

1996, showed this team could rule. But in 1997, the problems were rising. You could see the age in them when they'd give up over a 100 rushing yards and just look lost out there like the lost to a winless Colts team. Still not as bad as the 2011 defense, but I do think something went wrong. Like over time someone figured the defense out in '97, and next thing you know someone smart puts 2 and 2 together and comes up with a way to beat them (Denver).
I think the defense suffered a dropoff in '97 mostly due to a talent dropoff. By no means a bad defense (ranked in the top ten for points allowed and yards, for what that's worth), some personnel changes weakened them a bit, and this revealed itself especially in the run defense. Wayne Simmons had a great '96, but went to KC part of the way through '97. Seth Joyner wasn't the Seth Joyner of old, and couldn't make up for that loss, and the Tyrone Williams of '97 wasn't as good as the Craig Newsome of '96 (who missed pretty much all of '97 w/an injury). On paper (and statistically) Gabe Wilkins looked like a good substitution for the retired Sean Jones, but in reality I'm not sure that was the case.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
First I apologize in advance for posting something somewhat positive about the Bears. The '85 Bears defense is held up as one of the best ever and in that regular season they gave up 23 TDs. While the Packers '96 defense gave up about one-half of one point more per game, the Packers D only gave up 19 TDs. That was a special season in all three phases of the game.

The second point I'd make is I don't think it's necessary for those of us who currently view Favre as a traitor to the Packers franchise to diminish how good he was when he was at his peak and under the relative control of Holmgren. Those three MVPs weren't a fluke.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The second point I'd make is I don't think it's necessary for those of us who currently view Favre as a traitor to the Packers franchise to diminish how good he was when he was at his peak and under the relative control of Holmgren. Those three MVPs weren't a fluke.

Thats like convincing your buddy to think positively about his ex wife that cheated on him. Yeah they might of had some good times but she can go to hell.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sniffle... if Wolf would have only gotten the draft pick he wanted in 96
Just to clarify in case people forgot: John Michels was chosen by GB as the 27th pick. Baltimore nabbed Ray Lewis at #26.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify in case people forgot: John Michels was chosen by GB as the 27th pick. Baltimore nabbed Ray Lewis at #26.

according to Ray the Packers had him on the phone and said they were taking him as soon as Balt was done picking.

Its my favorite "almost" story.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
according to Ray the Packers had him on the phone and said they were taking him as soon as Balt was done picking.

Its my favorite "almost" story.

wow...that really blows...even though I'm not a huge fan of his, just think of having Lewis and Urlacher in the same division for all these years...:eek:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow...that really blows...even though I'm not a huge fan of his, just think of having Lewis and Urlacher in the same division for all these years...:eek:

I can promise you T Davis wouldn't have run all over the pack in 97 with Ray in the lineup.

Arguably the best middle linebacker of all time, and easily the most productive this late in his career. It would have changed the packers D for years. Alot of close games wouldn't have been that close anymore, that's how strongly I feel his impact.

I didn't even think of what it would have meant for the division to have Urlacher too. It would have been epic.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can promise you T Davis wouldn't have run all over the pack in 97 with Ray in the lineup.

Arguably the best middle linebacker of all time, and easily the most productive this late in his career. It would have changed the packers D for years. Alot of close games wouldn't have been that close anymore, that's how strongly I feel his impact.

I didn't even think of what it would have meant for the division to have Urlacher too. It would have been epic.

would have been Nitschke and Butkus all over again

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my least favorite "almost" stories happened in the 1981 draft. The Packers had the 6th pick and the personnel/scouting department lobbied heavily for Bart Starr to take Ronnie Lott. Instead in spite of having an in-his-prime Lynn ****ey at QB, Starr picked California's Rich Campbell, who wasn't even a mediocre NFL QB. Even Tony Mandarich contributed more than Campbell who in 7 CAREER games threw 3 TDs and 9 INTs. The saddest part of it is Starr later said he had concerns about Campbell's throwing motion. And Lott filled a huge need, unlike Campbell. Some here are probably too young to have seen Lott play, here's my summary of his HOF career: Holy crap! Seriously if you ever get a chance to see his highlight tape, take a look and you'll know why I shed a tear over that pick.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my least favorite "almost" stories happened in the 1981 draft. The Packers had the 6th pick and the personnel/scouting department lobbied heavily for Bart Starr to take Ronnie Lott. Instead in spite of having an in-his-prime Lynn ****ey at QB, Starr picked California's Rich Campbell, who wasn't even a mediocre NFL QB. Even Tony Mandarich contributed more than Campbell who in 7 CAREER games threw 3 TDs and 9 INTs. The saddest part of it is Starr later said he had concerns about Campbell's throwing motion. And Lott filled a huge need, unlike Campbell. Some here are probably too young to have seen Lott play, here's my summary of his HOF career: Holy crap! Seriously if you ever get a chance to see his highlight tape, take a look and you'll know why I shed a tear over that pick.
One of the team's worst miscalculations to be sure.
One of the Packers' assistant coaches gave Lott low marks before the draft after scouting him (conversely, the team's scouting dept. actually rated Lott as one of the top four picks in the draft), and that's why they passed on him.
**** Corrick, the director of player personnel, had Neil Lomax rated slightly higher than Campbell, but Lomax flunked the Packers' physical.
The choice was made to go with either tackle Keith Van Horne or Campbell with the team's pick.

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was an amazing defense, although it didn't have a lot of speed. The tackling was great, Wayne Simmons played very well, although he ended up being one of the many Wolf #1 draft pick disappointments. Craig Newsome didn't have 1 P.I. penalty that entire season (including the post-season) until the Super Bowl, which is quite an accomplishment considering how physical he was. The front 4 was usually excellent although there would be a few games where you'd think they'd dominate & get 7-8 sacks & then they'd end up having trouble getting pressure on the QB, lol. No one, aside from Barry Sanders, could run against this defense as well. It was a very well-rounded & intelligent defense. Kudos to the players & Shurmur, what a great season!

Sirscorps

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the team's worst miscalculations to be sure.
One of the Packers' assistant coaches gave Lott low marks before the draft after scouting him (conversely, the team's scouting dept. actually rated Lott as one of the top four picks in the draft), and that's why they passed on him.
**** Corrick, the director of player personnel, had Neil Lomax rated slightly higher than Campbell, but Lomax flunked the Packers' physical.
The choice was made to go with either tackle Keith Van Horne or Campbell with the team's pick.[/q

Don't forget about how Starr, going against his own instincts, choosing NT/Charles Johnson instead of QB/Joe Montana. That pick & the QB/Campbell pick are the 2 in which he said he'd like to have back because he had gotten talked out of both picks. I don't know what the hell anyone saw in Campbell. He had the oddest throwing motion i've ever seen & I believe that his delivery hindered his already questionable arm strength. Lomax was a very good QB & if he didn't get injured, he could've had a very, very good & long career. What a shame. Same thing happened to the Cardinals again around '91 too. They had a young & up & coming QB/Timm rosenbaugh & he ended up having an injury that led him to retire when he was just coming into his own.

Wolf wanted Bob Whitfield in '92 while someone else wanted Buckley.

/Long time Cardinals fan too.

Members online

Latest posts