Packers boss: Team wants Brett Favre back in the family

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Green Bay Packers are saving a spot in the organization for Brett Favre, team president Mark Murphy said Tuesday.
With the Packers in their first Super Bowl since Favre led the team to one 14 years ago, Murphy said the team wants to restore relations with the quarterback who became iconic with the franchise from 1992-2007.
"Yeah, at the appropriate time, we'll reach out to him," Murphy said. "And I envision he'll come back into the fold."
The Packers traded Favre to the New York Jets in 2008 after a nasty divorce following his brief retirement and the team's subsequent commitment to Aaron Rodgers as the starting QB. Even after seeing Favre move to the rival Minnesota Vikings, Murphy said there is lots of sentiment to welcome Favre back to Green Bay after he retires.
Favre has said he doesn't intend to play next year, and picked the Packers to win the Super Bowl.
Murphy, who said the Packers wondered privately if they made the right decision to move Favre in 2008, said the Packers would eventually retire his number.
"Yeah we want to make sure it's the right time for him," said Murphy, who added the team had not yet officially reached out to Favre.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...favre-aaron-rodgers-super-bowl-xlv-steelers/1

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.
Why bring this up now?
Do they have a box reserved for him?
(If he doesn't show up, I'll gladly take it.)

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right before the Super Bowl to announce this huh?

Couldn't wait 1 week?

Seriously?

I'm not bitter or anything right now towards Favre. Really. But **** Brett Favre right now. This is about Aaron Rodgers and the 2010 Packers. Playing for the title. I DO NOT want to hear about Favre right now.

Jesus. Some of the stories and issues that are coming up during this two week stretch are TOTALLY avoidable.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. The timing totally sucks.

This is something to be discussed downt the road, not now.

Just senseless to me.

:chisux:

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Damn. Everything still has to be about Favre. Can't people just let the current team enjoy its success? Sigh...

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Agree with all the posts... SERIOUSLY... I knew that SOMETHING would be brought up to try to steal the thunder from the team and present QB going to the SB.

Although... They never specifiy what spot they have saved for him. He could be the teams new gatorade boy!
:rotfl:

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Oh dear!!!! His pic and Nick Barnetts with a big slash over it...before the seminar...

"Proper Use of Electronic Communications!" :blink:

SoCalPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right before the Super Bowl to announce this huh?

Couldn't wait 1 week?

Seriously?

I'm not bitter or anything right now towards Favre. Really. But **** Brett Favre right now. This is about Aaron Rodgers and the 2010 Packers. Playing for the title. I DO NOT want to hear about Favre right now.

Jesus. Some of the stories and issues that are coming up during this two week stretch are TOTALLY avoidable.
I couldn't agree more with this. I just want to focus on sunday

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this story should never have been printed. what is this? the ******* off-season?!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Wait guys, this may not be a bad thing. I know we all love Packer coverage, but hey if there is less media pressure on the team thats great. Less distractions.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't welcome back Favre for at least 3 or 4 years. The wound is still to fresh. Maybe being gone for a while will humble him a little bit.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
You guys know that someone probably asked him a question about this and Murphy decided to answer that question honestly, right?

It's not like he went out of his way to announce it, I'd assume he was answering a question.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo hit it on the head. The Packers will not consider retiring his number until they think there will be more cheers than boos. That will take quite a few years.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A simple "no comment" would have sufficed.

They won't stop with Favre questions unless you give them something. Giving them this, which is blatantly obvious to everyone (everyone knows that we're going to retire his number at some point, whether some of you like it or not) kills that line of questioning early.

And considering I haven't heard anything about this on ESPN or anywhere nationally, this isn't going to be the distraction you guys seem to think it is.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't stop with Favre questions unless you give them something. Giving them this, which is blatantly obvious to everyone (everyone knows that we're going to retire his number at some point, whether some of you like it or not) kills that line of questioning early.

And considering I haven't heard anything about this on ESPN or anywhere nationally, this isn't going to be the distraction you guys seem to think it is.

This

It's just common sense...He holds all the Packers passing records, he moved on...but he'll come back at some point, sign a one day deal, finish as a Packer and have his #4 retired and placed in the ring where it should be, no matter his off the field BS that he pulled in '08

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts