Packers Biggest Competition In The Nfc Is....

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The 49ers.

Yes for me it's not the Lions. Or the Saints. Or whoever the flavor of the week is in the NFC East.

I love the feel of this Niners team. I think they will be here all season. Harbaugh is that good. He has them believing and he is a great coach.

They are one team I could see coming into Green Bay in the playoffs and trying to force you guys into a rough low scoring game so they have a chance to steal it in the end.

I love Brees but that Saints team does not scare me on the road. Lions have some growing up to do IMO. Talent is there but I am not feeling them. Giants are hot and cold.

Thoughts?

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any team can beat any other team on any given day.

However, more often than not, i think the packers will defeat the niners (but too early to say TBH)

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
any team can beat any other team on any given day.

However, more often than not, i think the packers will defeat the niners (but too early to say TBH)

I would pick the Pack. I just think that could be a great game. I am just not feeling many teams this year. So much blah.

Now who doesn't want the big Aaron Rodgers vs. Alex Smith showdown? :)

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would pick the Pack. I just think that could be a great game. I am just not feeling many teams this year. So much blah.

Now who doesn't want the big Aaron Rodgers vs. Alex Smith showdown? :)

i am not going to lie... i would love to watch a aaron rodgers vs tom brady showdown... boohoo!

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they will fall to Earth like the Lions but they are both good teams and could develop into great teams. I think the Saints are the next best team in the NFC.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think they will fall to Earth like the Lions but they are both good teams and could develop into great teams. I think the Saints are the next best team in the NFC.

I think Brees is terrific. That offense can be scary.

But, on the road? Not sure I trust them. In their fish bowl in New Orleans? Hell yeah.
And their D is questionable.

I am not sure the Niners are going to fall to Earth. I mean it is what it is. They are a team playing at a higher level then they have in some time under a great new coach. They did lose to the Cowboys of all people in OT so they have lost. And since they are in the NFC West they pretty much already made the playoffs.

I have a hunch ATM a team like Atlanta is not done yet either.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I'd have to go with the Saints, but not be much. The NFC is VERY active right now. It seems to change every week. Right now we can't even rule the Eagles out, they won today so they are still alive. But at the top 'd put, the Saints, Falcons, 49'rs, .... then fall the Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, ...

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I am just not on the Lions bandwagon, I never really was. I mean what is it? They just rub me the wrong way.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Saints biggest problem is they still have not learned from last season.

They bring in Sproles and draft Mark Ingram and still, don't even try to run the ball. They would rather Brees put it in the air 40-50 times like almost every game last season.

The problem is not the interceptions. Most of Brees' interceptions are tipped passes, he's still a very accurate quarterback playing with C and B receivers. He won a Super Bowl with some of these same average guys. They aren't Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings, Calvin Johnson type guys. Among the average, Colston is probably their best WR, while Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles I would say are their biggest threats.

Second biggest problem is their defense. They give up TONS of yards, and don't get turnovers. They are not the same team from 2009. Not just the rosters but the play calling. In 2009 their defense was very fearful and were in the top 3 of the league in turnovers. Not anymore. Most of their success wasn't blitzing like they do. They would pass rush and drop guys back to cover receivers. They didn't get all those interceptions in 2009 by blitzing every down. But even when they do drop 3 or 4 back to cover, they get BURNED really bad, especially Patrick Robinson and Roman Harper. They put Robinson on Jennings early in the opening game and Rodgers burned him with the first TD in that game. All during the Houston game, Andre Johnson was burning him. Harper has been getting thrown all over this year and can't cover.

I was more disappointed in how they lost today than how Tampa Bay played. Freeman is not that great of a quarterback and had they actually tried, they could have got some turnovers on him. They also couldn't really get to him with the pressure they kept blitzing, leaving targets wide open. I live around nothing but Saints fans and while they are blaming it on Brees, and throwing him under the bus, let's think about that last interception. What if the Saints did actually score and go up 27 to 26? I HIGHLY DOUBT they still would have won, because after Tampa Bay got the ball back, they let them drive to run the clock. They could not stop the running game at all, it was really pathetic. Brees didn't lose them that game, their terribly bad tackling defense did.

The 49ers may come down to Earth like the Saints and Lions both, but something tells me I have been wrong about them the last few years when I said they only had a few good players. All they needed was motivation. Alex Smith is playing the best you'll probably ever see him play, but they are winning. I think first few weeks they were running the ball more, trying to figure out the offense, now Harbaugh has got them spinning and firing. I am really impressed with their defense. In 2009 they finished great, but last season was a disaster. I'm more of a Harbaugh fan listening to his interviews. Before the Eagles game some reporter was already downing their chances of winning telling him "Your team has only won 3 games on the road vs NFC opponents outside the division since 2003" and he just shrugged it off and said "Someone must be digging in the computer for that statistic. Let's just call it 1-0". They are gonna meet some tough games down the road, but they've got an easy schedule.

Detroit is divisional, we must remember. They are the biggest threat to the Packers because they play in the same division, but I think they are beatable.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Saints biggest problem is they still have not learned from last season.

They bring in Sproles and draft Mark Ingram and still, don't even try to run the ball. They would rather Brees put it in the air 40-50 times like almost every game last season.

The problem is not the interceptions. Most of Brees' interceptions are tipped passes, he's still a very accurate quarterback playing with C and B receivers. He won a Super Bowl with some of these same average guys. They aren't Reggie Wayne, Greg Jennings, Calvin Johnson type guys. Among the average, Colston is probably their best WR, while Jimmy Graham and Darren Sproles I would say are their biggest threats.

Second biggest problem is their defense. They give up TONS of yards, and don't get turnovers. They are not the same team from 2009. Not just the rosters but the play calling. In 2009 their defense was very fearful and were in the top 3 of the league in turnovers. Not anymore. Most of their success wasn't blitzing like they do. They would pass rush and drop guys back to cover receivers. They didn't get all those interceptions in 2009 by blitzing every down. But even when they do drop 3 or 4 back to cover, they get BURNED really bad, especially Patrick Robinson and Roman Harper. They put Robinson on Jennings early in the opening game and Rodgers burned him with the first TD in that game. All during the Houston game, Andre Johnson was burning him. Harper has been getting thrown all over this year and can't cover.

I was more disappointed in how they lost today than how Tampa Bay played. Freeman is not that great of a quarterback and had they actually tried, they could have got some turnovers on him. They also couldn't really get to him with the pressure they kept blitzing, leaving targets wide open. I live around nothing but Saints fans and while they are blaming it on Brees, and throwing him under the bus, let's think about that last interception. What if the Saints did actually score and go up 27 to 26? I HIGHLY DOUBT they still would have won, because after Tampa Bay got the ball back, they let them drive to run the clock. They could not stop the running game at all, it was really pathetic. Brees didn't lose them that game, their terribly bad tackling defense did.

The 49ers may come down to Earth like the Saints and Lions both, but something tells me I have been wrong about them the last few years when I said they only had a few good players. All they needed was motivation. Alex Smith is playing the best you'll probably ever see him play, but they are winning. I think first few weeks they were running the ball more, trying to figure out the offense, now Harbaugh has got them spinning and firing. I am really impressed with their defense. In 2009 they finished great, but last season was a disaster. I'm more of a Harbaugh fan listening to his interviews. Before the Eagles game some reporter was already downing their chances of winning telling him "Your team has only won 3 games on the road vs NFC opponents outside the division since 2003" and he just shrugged it off and said "Someone must be digging in the computer for that statistic. Let's just call it 1-0". They are gonna meet some tough games down the road, but they've got an easy schedule.

Detroit is divisional, we must remember. They are the biggest threat to the Packers because they play in the same division, but I think they are beatable.

Your description of the Saints sounds like a lot of past Colts teams but to be fair to Brees he never had Marvin Harrison but many could never be so lucky to have a Marvin.So dangerous at home but on the road the D does not travel. And heck, the D might not even show up AT home. Now don't get me wrong, Manning has made his fair share of mistakes in games and some big ones, but our D has had a constant issue with bad tackling, big cushions in the secondary, not stopping the run and just making lackluster QBs look like Aaron Rodgers vs. the Falcons.

You are right, the Niners do have some tough games down the road (saw Baltimore/Pittsburgh on there) but overall they will have no issues sliding into the playoffs as the division champs. I am a huge Harbaugh fan going back to when he was a QB on the Colts and nearly led us to a SB with a team that played above and beyond it's talent levels. He was all guts and his teams resemble his attitude. What he has done with Alex Smith is amazing to me.

Speaking of Detroit. While there is so much talent there why does this team rub me the wrong way so badly? I see so many on their bandwagon digging the story but they just bug me. I don't get why either. I should like them right? I mean they have suffered so long and are now winning. Perhaps it goes back to the preseason game even with the Pats when they acted like they won the Super Bowl in PRESEASON. I recall some smack talk when it was over too.

Giants are the ones I can't figure out either. Good God. Those suckers drive me up the wall.

Overall still a ton of football to be played but it's fun to speculate.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Your description of the Saints sounds like a lot of past Colts teams but to be fair to Brees he never had Marvin Harrison but many could never be so lucky to have a Marvin.So dangerous at home but on the road the D does not travel. And heck, the D might not even show up AT home. Now don't get me wrong, Manning has made his fair share of mistakes in games and some big ones, but our D has had a constant issue with bad tackling, big cushions in the secondary, not stopping the run and just making lackluster QBs look like Aaron Rodgers vs. the Falcons.

You are right, the Niners do have some tough games down the road (saw Baltimore/Pittsburgh on there) but overall they will have no issues sliding into the playoffs as the division champs. I am a huge Harbaugh fan going back to when he was a QB on the Colts and nearly led us to a SB with a team that played above and beyond it's talent levels. He was all guts and his teams resemble his attitude. What he has done with Alex Smith is amazing to me.

Speaking of Detroit. While there is so much talent there why does this team rub me the wrong way so badly? I see so many on their bandwagon digging the story but they just bug me. I don't get why either. I should like them right? I mean they have suffered so long and are now winning. Perhaps it goes back to the preseason game even with the Pats when they acted like they won the Super Bowl in PRESEASON. I recall some smack talk when it was over too.

Giants are the ones I can't figure out either. Good God. Those suckers drive me up the wall.

Overall still a ton of football to be played but it's fun to speculate.

Yep that's true, and it's hard to believe that Brees' won a Super Bowl with average receivers after all the tipped passes they would drop and let get picked off last season and this season so far. That's why I always say their biggest weapon is screens. They were on the right track cutting Reggie Bush and replacing him with Sproles, but still, they don't even try to run the ball like they should.I always have said for the last 3 years that the Saints Wide receivers would be back ups to the old 49ers if they played in that era. They are average at best, and as much as I like Colston and Moore, they also let balls bounce out of their hands and into interceptions when they are cornered and pressured.

I'll be hearing it the rest of the week all the Brees/Favre comparing from my folks that are blaming it all on him for that interception in the end zone that ended the game yesterday, but I don't think it was all his fault. Of those 3 interceptions, 1 was a tipped pass and their defense really is the blame for yesterday's lose. They let Tampa Bay carve them up running the ball.

The Lions are going to be a feel good story around this season similar to how the Saints were back in 2009, but I don't see them going all the way. They finally lost a game, and while I can't badmouth them and say they suck with a record of 5-1, I do think they are going to meet some very tough games down the road. They've got a good enough schedule to win 10 games though, but lack of running game is going to come back and haunt them the same way it did us last year unless they fix it late in the season.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Of course the worn out adage; "on any given day" could apply to all of the NFC teams. But, honestly, I don't see anyone in the NFC who is close to the Packers. The two teams I thought would be the toughest competition both got beat by the Packers already. Each of the division rivals is tough, regardless of their record, simply because this division takes great pride in beating each other up.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Packers biggest competition is the next team ahead, followed by the next, no worries about other teams that the Packers may or may not go against till they get there. 49ers, eagles, redskins, cowboys, ect, we will see them plan against us when we get there before then they have to earn their game against the Pack.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the Niners or a lot of other teams people are claiming to be dangerous. From what I've seen there are a lot of frauds in this league with impressive looking records. And every week it becomes more and more apparent.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic.
Cracks me up that some fans with their chests out act like we're God and nobody can beat us.

So to topic; if we are to not make it to the Super Bowl, here's how I would place my bets for the team who beats us:

Detroit
Philadelphia
San Francisco
NY Giants
New Orleans
Atlanta

Most likely, a team will have to beat us in Green Bay in cold January. It will take crappy slow cold weather, like we saw in the 2007 NFCCG when the Giants ground us down.

Detroit slowed us down in Green Bay last year, with a backup QB, and it took a Woodson late pick-6 to seal that win. Then they battered us around in Detroit, knocked Rodgers out on a fluke hit, and beat us 7-3. They lost yesterday but Calvin Johnson has always had success against Woodson, and that team is not afraid of us.

Philly.... they'll get going. They had a good win yesterday in Washington vs the NFC East leading Skins. They can run the ball with LeSean McCoy, and Vick of course can run. He almost ran thru us in the Wildcard game. Remember they would have won that game if Akers didn't miss 2 makable field goals. And we've seen Vick win a playoff game in Green Bay already. I hope it was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke though.

San Francisco has a legitimate solid defense, and a strong running game behind a physical offensive line. Did you see them run thru the Lions DL with Suh, Fairley, Williams, etc? That looked like the best run-blocking OL in the league.
Alex Smith's superclutch 4th & goal TD pass to win that game yesterday may be the moment that jumpstarts that team to greater things, as I thought Rodgers' was when we lost at Atlanta last year, but Rodgers game thru with a similar, superclutch 4th & goal TD pass to Jordy which saved the game.

Giants, Saints, Atlanta..... the Giants and Falcons have potentially strong running games for bad weather. The Saints, maybe with Mark Ingram. Still, I really can't see us losing to any of those teams if we're pretty healthy.

Only the Eagles and Lions, I believe, could actually beat us, and still, the Lions offense should struggle in cold weather too.

The NFC is ours to lose. But let's stay healthy at the key positions please!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packs biggest competition in the NFC is the Pack. We will have to beat ourselves. I will put our "A" Game up against any other teams "A" game. Especially if we are talking Lambeau in January.

You hit the nail right on the head. The only ones who can beat the Packers are the Packers themselves. Rodgers and Jennings said that in an interview last week. I think one of the coaches said it too.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Philadelphia is out of it, can't ever see them beating us. They won ONE game yesterday and ESPN already has the "Dream Team" back to a return of making it a Super Bowl. Don't let those idiots fool you, if you pick off a quarterback 4 times, you should at least get a field goal in the second half instead of getting shut out. I'm more concerned about the Giants when it comes to the NFC East. They'll win a few more games, and then the media's favorite player that can barely complete 50% of his passes against a good team will go out with a broken limb. As much as the Eagles are so hyped, they are the worst team when it comes to scoring in the 4th quarter. In 6 games, they have only scored 17 total points in the 4th quarter. That is PATHETIC for a team so highly overrated.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I doubt the Alex Smith-led niners are going to be able to beat us.

Only a team with an elite QB can beat us, quite frankly. I still believe the Saints are our biggest opponent in the NFC, and it will be key to play them at home in the cold, as Brees' arm isn't as good as Rodgers', so we'll have the advantage there.

And in the AFC, obviously the Patriots, but not with that kind of defensive performance they've been putting. And the Ravens, though I'd rather face that defense and Flacco than Brady.

To beat the Packers, you need an elite QB and an elite D against the pass. Pittsburgh was that mold last year, yet they lost. And I don't see any team in the league with that kind of talent. The Saints had it in 09, but their defense couldn't even contain Rodgers...

If they employ the same tactic they used in the 09 playoffs, which is hit the QB at all times, then they have a chance. But with the current rule changes they won't have the opportunity to do to Rodgers what they did to Warner. Not to mention, Rodgers won't get blindsided unless he throws a pick, and he rarely does it...

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Great topic.
Cracks me up that some fans with their chests out act like we're God and nobody can beat us.

God says, workin so far. "A"" game on "A" game I don't think anyone can. If we start losing players to injury because they don't know how to kneel down or Aroge goes down its a different ball game. But if you look at this team on it's talent, its QB and it's coaching the only other team that comes close is N.O.. Not saying we can't be beat. Saying we will have to beat ourselves first.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great topic.

So to topic; if we are to not make it to the Super Bowl, here's how I would place my bets for the team who beats us:

Detroit
Philadelphia
San Francisco
NY Giants
New Orleans
Atlanta

Most likely, a team will have to beat us in Green Bay in cold January. It will take crappy slow cold weather, like we saw in the 2007 NFCCG when the Giants ground us down.

Detroit slowed us down in Green Bay last year, with a backup QB, and it took a Woodson late pick-6 to seal that win. Then they battered us around in Detroit, knocked Rodgers out on a fluke hit, and beat us 7-3. They lost yesterday but Calvin Johnson has always had success against Woodson, and that team is not afraid of us.

Philly.... they'll get going. They had a good win yesterday in Washington vs the NFC East leading Skins. They can run the ball with LeSean McCoy, and Vick of course can run. He almost ran thru us in the Wildcard game. Remember they would have won that game if Akers didn't miss 2 makable field goals. And we've seen Vick win a playoff game in Green Bay already. I hope it was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke though.

San Francisco has a legitimate solid defense, and a strong running game behind a physical offensive line. Did you see them run thru the Lions DL with Suh, Fairley, Williams, etc? That looked like the best run-blocking OL in the league.
Alex Smith's superclutch 4th & goal TD pass to win that game yesterday may be the moment that jumpstarts that team to greater things, as I thought Rodgers' was when we lost at Atlanta last year, but Rodgers game thru with a similar, superclutch 4th & goal TD pass to Jordy which saved the game.

Giants, Saints, Atlanta..... the Giants and Falcons have potentially strong running games for bad weather. The Saints, maybe with Mark Ingram. Still, I really can't see us losing to any of those teams if we're pretty healthy.

Only the Eagles and Lions, I believe, could actually beat us, and still, the Lions offense should struggle in cold weather too.

The NFC is ours to lose. But let's stay healthy at the key positions please!
na, i don't buy into the eagles hype. They will not beat the packers.

Members online

Latest posts