Packers better off with Favre retiring?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know Favre will retire, this year, or next year.
Wouldn't the Packers be better off with him retiring this year and make Nall their starting QB or get Brees?

Nall isn't young, and he needs to get into the game soon if he's to become good!

It's not healthy to have this kind of decision pending..

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The primary goal of all 32 teams in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl and Favre gives the Packers the best chance to win the Super Bowl. I say ride that horse until it's ready to go to pasture (golf course).

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees is set to be a francise player for San Diego so cross him off that list. I hope Brett decides to keep playing. If for some reason he decides to hang em' up, then we could bring in Matt Hasselbeck. We'll see what happens in the next month or so. GO Packers!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Packers making the right offer for Matt - and besides, why would Matt want... to come back? He's made a name for himself as "the" starting QB in Seattle - who would they have to replace him? Hasselbeck's made a name for himself out on the Left Coast, why ditch it?

Brett comes back this year - we work to find someone to draft, which is TT's way of doing things.. and move on - if Brett retires this year, how much of a salary cap hit is that?

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better off? ah, No. At least for the reason stated. By this logic, every starter is better off retiring so the Pack can get a replacement ready.

Look at the numbers he put up AGAIN this year. Look at the w/l ratio the Pack had AGAIN this year. Look at the fact that we were in the playoffs AGAIN this year. No way we'd be better off next year, or the year after, if we took Favre out of the equation.

When these crazy thoughts drift into your head close your eyes and replayMcNabb's final two-minute performance in the SB. Then contrast that with any one of Favre's two-minute drills. That should snap you out of it.

Favre runs the two-minute to perfection (am thinking of the last regular-season Vikes game). He does so much so well I think we tend to overlook it. Will be a sad, sad day for the Packers when he calls it quits.

Roadrunner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Will be a sad, sad day for the Packers when he calls it quits."

How true. But it would be stupid to think that it's not getting closer, and that the team shouldn't prepare for that day. I expect he'll be back next year (anticipating a strengthening of the defense and a significant improvement in the Pack's chance at another Super Bowl).

For now I'd like to see Nall get more work, more playing time though--rather than wasting a lot of salary cap on an expensive (albeit good) QB like Brees or Hassleback this year. It'd be good for Craig, but also good for Favre, making him more durable and therefore better when he does come out on the field.

I think that many of his mistakes this year are related to the increasing ability of defensive backs to read his eyes and anticipate the play. That is usually the product of distraction (perhaps related to pain from overuse), and exhaustion. Part of the reason Nall tended to do well when he was in was that the DB's hadn't learned how to read him. For that reason rotating them more often (though Nall clearly is not a starter yet, or even a majority-time QB) might well be good for both of them AND for the team.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez - I've read where Hasselbeck and his wife really liked Green Bay and were very disappointed when he got traded to Seattle. I think Sherman asked Favre to make a decision about his future before Free Agency so that if he retired we could go after someone like Hasselbeck.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first of all, we would not be better off with out brett.

2nd, why is everyone so high on brees? guy had one good yr, big deal.

vikes93animal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't the Packers be better off
:roll:
smokin in the boys room
(jj)
if it is this year or next or the year after that unless you have another clone of farmve somewhere its going to take a couple to get back in the swing of things. i would expect somewhat of a hangover.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roadrunner--

I'm with you on the Nall remarks. Would like to see what this kid can do before we run off and get a Hassleback or Brees or whatever. IMO next season Sherman oughta let Favre run up a few scores early and then put Nall in so he gets some significant playing time in 2005.

As for defenses reading Favre's eyes, I disagree with that. The boy is still way cool, way savey in the pocket. We lost games this year because of our defense. Sure the boy had a couple bad throws, but receivers ran wrong routes, we got some bad bounces, blah, blah. But, because the D could rarely make a stop Favre was often playing from behind trying to match score-for-score. Opponents knew he was gonna pass so they just put a lot of d-backs on the field. No-brainer.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pack doesn't need Brett, nor his 4000 yards, nor his 33 TD's ... of course they'd be better without him. D'uh!

:)

/sarcasm off

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
my point is that there are so many great QB's that could be picked up this year, it might not be possible next year.

I would have to agree. Seems like there are a flourish of talented QB's. I Think this whole 'we need to know NOW Brett' thing is ridiculous. Whether he retires now or in two years we need to get someone in here, period.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a short answer to the original question:

In 2004:

With 4,088 yards in 2004, Favre moved to #3 on the Career Passing Yards list (49,734)

With 540 attempts in 2004, Favre moved to #3 on the Career Passing Attempts list with a total of 7,004 attempts
With 346 completions in 2004, Favre moved to #2 on the Career Completions list with 4,306.

After beating the Carolina Panthers in Week 1, Favre surpassed Fran Tarkenton (125) to move to third on the all-time QB wins list. He finished 2004 with 135 career wins

In 2004, Favre had 8 games with a passer rating above 100

Favre passed for 4,000 yards for the 4th time in his career (first time since 1999)

With his 30 touchdowns, he reached the 30+ mark for the 8th time in his career

In the regular season finale against the Bears, Favre achieved 51 career passing TDs against the Bears, surpassing Marino's 50 against Buffalo for the 3rd most all time by a quarterback against an opponent

In 2004, Favre had 3 games of at least 3 touchdowns. His career total is 53 and he is second only to Dan Marino (62)

In 2004, Favre had 2 games of at least 4 touchdowns. His career total is 18 and he is second only to Dan Marino (21)

By reaching 20 touchdown passes, Favre broke Marino's record of most consecutive seasons with at least 20. Marino did it 10 straight years, and Favre has done it 11 straight

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we'd be better off without Brett. I hope he comes back, and my guess is he will. But if he did retire, I wouldn't mind seeing Hasselbeck in Green Bay. I agree with NCPackerfans remarks about how much Hasselbeck liked Green Bay. I think Matt would like to return as the starting QB if Favre retired. It will be interesting to see if Holmgren puts the franchise tag on him or not. Alexander and Walter Jones are also big free agents in Seattle too, and Holmgren can't use the franchise tag on all of them.

Members online

Latest posts