Packers announce coaching assignments

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Sorry man I have to disagree. I don't like Novak. Was he around when Howard and Rossum were tearing it up? I'm not sure. Whoevers fault it is that when the returning does not have wedge, I don't like that person/s. They did SOOO much Better with a wedge.

stuffin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the lineup, especially the loss of Novak. I notice he will work for the team on a "voluntary basis."

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not seeing anyone else out there on the Sports Talk Shows using these comments about Novak... and if he was anywhere near as bad as Slowik turned out to be... then we would be seeeing exactly that.... Would we not?

Here's some more commentary leaning back towards statements I have made on several boards about the Mike McKenzie issue & Lionel Washington... listed this morning on JSonline/Packer ----

Notable in Sherman's assembly of his defensive staff is the retention of Washington, who for the past six seasons has served as the team's assistant defensive backs coach. Sherman did not elevate him to secondary coach as a number of players had hoped, but increased his responsibilities.

"I think Lionel should have gotten the (secondary coach) title," cornerback Al Harris said. "But he's a man, he's a professional. I don't think it's bad. It's very important (he's back). I've been praying for it. He's helped me a lot. He played corner for 15 years. He's been in every situation."

According to Bates, Washington will continue coaching the cornerbacks as he did under secondary coaches Joe Vitt, Bob Slowik and Kurt Schottenheimer and will devote a good portion of his time overseeing the nickel package.

"Third down is so valuable in the whole defensive scheme of things," said Bates, whose Dolphins pass defense ranked in the top eight four of the past five years. "In Miami, we were always able to get off the field on third down; we've always been tops in the league.

"And there's so much involved in terms of what teams are trying to do on third down. Third and 2 to 5 is totally different offensive strategy than they'll have third and 6 to 10 or third and 11-plus. So putting it all together and putting it out to the players is a job within itself. Lionel will be responsible for that."

Knowing that a promotion for Lionel Washington is what almost ALL players on the Team's Defense have felt was appropriate - yet weren't seeing - has... caused some consternation in the Locker Room and most likely out there on the field.

My thinking is that, in some small measure at first and later on a larger step will be used, ...Jim Bates will be expecting Lionel to be his 'sleeper style' second-hand man on Defense. Sure, Bates brought in a couple of guys he's used to working with from Miami.... this is a normal step in the process. But, counting on Lionel and putting him to use in ways that Sherman has not done... I feel... will be the "highlight" of the Defense this year in Green Bay. Pay close attention to comments made by AL HARRIS... because it could be very 'telling' and 'relational' to what McKenzie had been saying all along.... giving way to that ruckus we saw early last year in the Locker Room. McKenzie's problem was he started something and had no real power in the process of it.. combining that with the fact he had never even been to a ProBowl and now it appears he never will... well, no one ever thought to take him seriously. Maybe, just maybe... had he been to a couple of ProBowls.... someone would have given his words some weight.. but he hadn't.

Just the same - AL HARRIS opens the door again, just a bit.

Next up - Free Agency moves and the probable loss of both Darren Sharper & Mike Wahle. It would not surprise me that they use Mike Wahle to gain a higher first round draft pick.. to maybe grab Ernest Shazor.... I'd rather they find a way to keep Mike Wahle... but reality is setting in.. and, most likely, it will NOT happen that way.

The BIG question is how much Sharper really wants to finish his career in Green Bay (???)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What do you mean by pay attention to Al Harris' comments? Are you saying he's gonna say the same thing about Slowik and the Packers as MM did?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slick - his comments allude to what the Players 'feel' about Lionel.....
Not repetitive conversation.. Again, we're not hearing from anyone 'why' it is that Sherman would not promote him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts