Packers and vikings end Super Bowl hopes on QB play.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it is interesting that both the vikings and Packers seasons end on a bad decision by the QBs. A-rod turns the ball over not reading the blitz and holding the ball too long and BF throws an INT to seal both teams fates in over time.

For me the difference is that A-rod is young and does not have the experience, he will take that game and hopefully learn from that. BF knows better and seems prone to make these mistakes regardless of his experiences. You get what you get with BF. On the other hand I have all the confidence that A-rod will be a better player and will be much wiser when faced with the same situation again.

In a lot of ways BF is a victim of his own legend.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Rodgers getting sacked and having his face mask wrenched by the Cardinals is hardly the same situation that Favre put the Viqueens in late in the game last night. Not even close. One could argue that the play of Rodgers and Donald Driver in the first five minutes of the Cardinals game lost the game for the Pack....but not Rodgers' play in OT.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it is interesting that both the vikings and Packers seasons end on a bad decision by the QBs. A-rod turns the ball over not reading the blitz and holding the ball too long and BF throws an INT to seal both teams fates in over time.

For me the difference is that A-rod is young and does not have the experience, he will take that game and hopefully learn from that. BF knows better and seems prone to make these mistakes regardless of his experiences. You get what you get with BF. On the other hand I have all the confidence that A-rod will be a better player and will be much wiser when faced with the same situation again.

In a lot of ways BF is a victim of his own legend.
The difference is that in the Packers game the D allowed 45 points and Rodgers put up 45 points ALL BY HIMSELF (no points scored by running game and kicking game). The rest of the team was plain awful.

In the NFCC game, Favre had a mediocre game. The whole team did. The rushing attack was very good, but fumbled. The D stopped the Saints late, but allowed 31 points.

In GB-AZ, Rodgers had much more great plays than bad plays. Weren't for Rodgers, the Packers wouldn't have gone to OT. Not even close.

In MN-NO, Favre didn't. He didn't play badly, but he hurt his team more than he helped. If it weren't for him, they would still have the running game and the D.

-

They both let down their teams. They both had fault in the result. However, Favre is much more to blame for the Vikings losing to the Saints than Rodgers is for the loss, because of what I said earlier.

-

In a very difficult, probably impossible, exercise, Rodgers' performance would definitely win the game for the Vikings. Favre's performance would undoubtly cost the game badly for the Packers.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
No possible way you can pin the Packers loss to the Cardinals on Rodgers. That loss hangs around the head of the Packers defensive backfield.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is that in the Packers game the D allowed 45 points and Rodgers put up 45 points ALL BY HIMSELF (no points scored by running game and kicking game). The rest of the team was plain awful.

In the NFCC game, Favre had a mediocre game. The whole team did. The rushing attack was very good, but fumbled. The D stopped the Saints late, but allowed 31 points.

In GB-AZ, Rodgers had much more great plays than bad plays. Weren't for Rodgers, the Packers wouldn't have gone to OT. Not even close.

In MN-NO, Favre didn't. He didn't play badly, but he hurt his team more than he helped. If it weren't for him, they would still have the running game and the D.

-

They both let down their teams. They both had fault in the result. However, Favre is much more to blame for the Vikings losing to the Saints than Rodgers is for the loss, because of what I said earlier.

-

In a very difficult, probably impossible, exercise, Rodgers' performance would definitely win the game for the Vikings. Favre's performance would undoubtly cost the game badly for the Packers.

Thats rediculouse. The TO by favre was not in the redzone and forced an ot and the viks still had a chance to win it. Rodgers TO cost the game and gave his team zero chance to win. Favre didn't leave his team in as bad a situation as Rodgres TO.
Now I'm not faulting AR for the loss at all, but his mistke was just as costly. Again not balming Rodgers for the loss.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Aaron did not throw an interception. He was sacked and had his face mask wrenched. A penalty should have been called and we should have retained the ball. The mistake Rodgers made in OT was missing a wide open Greg Jennings for a clear touchdown pass 40 yards down the field. Do you blame a quarterback every time he gets sacked? No. The amount of penetration the Cardinals got on that play was inexcusable.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking at it as QB's decisions, A-rod for not seeing the blitz and BF to make a bad throw across his body and the field. A better decision or recognition by both would have led to a different outcome.

Both can not be blamed for the loss, but both of those bad decisions would have gone a long way towards a win.

I just think A-rod will learn from his and be a better QB, were as BF will never.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron did not throw an interception. He was sacked and had his face mask wrenched. A penalty should have been called and we should have retained the ball. The mistake Rodgers made in OT was missing a wide open Greg Jennings for a clear touchdown pass 40 yards down the field. Do you blame a quarterback every time he gets sacked? No. The amount of penetration the Cardinals got on that play was inexcusable.

His mask was not "wretched", thats a stretch. As I said before, I dont blame Rodgers for the loss.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Thats rediculouse. The TO by favre was not in the redzone and forced an ot and the viks still had a chance to win it. Rodgers TO cost the game and gave his team zero chance to win. Favre didn't leave his team in as bad a situation as Rodgres TO.
Now I'm not faulting AR for the loss at all, but his mistke was just as costly. Again not balming Rodgers for the loss.
If Favre pulls that ball down and runs Longwell is left with a reasonable length field goal. If Favre does nothing, Longwell is left with a long field goal. Either way, there's a chance. Favre's idiotic throw cost them a chance at the Super Bowl. I think you're way understating just how bad that turnover was.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of cost both mistakes were essencially the same. I understand what you mean, but matter of fact is that if Favre doesn't get intecepted they kick, and can score. And they never got the ball back.

And there's the facemask call, that would negate Rodgers' "fumble". No such irregularity on Favre's throw.

In terms of how both QB played the game, however, there's a big discrepancy...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking at it as QB's decisions, A-rod for not seeing the blitz and BF to make a bad throw across his body and the field. A better decision or recognition by both would have led to a different outcome.

Both can not be blamed for the loss, but both of those bad decisions would have gone a long way towards a win.

I just think A-rod will learn from his and be a better QB, were as BF will never.

I really like Aaron Rodgers but how do we really know that? I keep hearing from everybody that Rodgers is still young and he has yet to reach his prime. However what if this season IS his prime? Everyone is saying that he will learn to get rid of the ball quicker. I'm sure he improved that over the course of the season yet he failed to do that on the final play. Everyone says that the sky is the limit with A-rodg, but what if the limit is the sky that's already hovering above his head? All Qb's have flaws and maybe this is one of those innate flaws that you just can't get over. I'm all about speculation so maybe this is true, maybe it isn't we'll just have to see next season.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I really like Aaron Rodgers but how do we really know that? I keep hearing from everybody that Rodgers is still young and he has yet to reach his prime. However what if this season IS his prime? Everyone is saying that he will learn to get rid of the ball quicker. I'm sure he improved that over the course of the season yet he failed to do that on the final play. Everyone says that the sky is the limit with A-rodg, but what if the limit is the sky that's already hovering above his head? All Qb's have flaws and maybe this is one of those innate flaws that you just can't get over. I'm all about speculation so maybe this is true, maybe it isn't we'll just have to see next season.
If he wants to throw 30 TD's and 7 picks every year, i'm all for it.

If this is his ceiling, it's still pretty damn high.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is silly to blame Rodgers for taking the sack. The fact that the O-line is terrible is the reason-they blocked like crap and let Rodgers get hit pretty much by an untouched man. Rodgers was also taken down by his face mask-kinda hard to see the field with a due jerking on your face mask. As said before, Rodgers was the reason the Packers made a game out of a potential routing. The Vikings dominated the Saints and Favre played well enough for them to win, but his careless play was the reason they lost. Some people will continue to knock Rodgers for his whole career, much like the "FANS" did to Steve Young, after Montana retired. It is funny, b/c I think that Rodgers plays a lot like a right handed Steve Young. The Packers are just getting started with their Super Bowl run, Rodgers is going to be a force in the league for many years.

Members online

Latest posts