Packers after RB Turner?

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this on another board (official Chargers board, that is):
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=40811&highlight=packers
Chargers talking to Packers about swapping 1st rd picks for Turner.

Packers pick is #16

Just heard it on Hacksaw's Sunday show.

Also on BuffaloBills.com:
March 20, 2007
Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:11 PM

NFL GRAPEVINE PRICE FOR TURNER: In talking to some people around the league I'm hearing that Chargers RFA RB Michael Turner could be had for a high second round pick. That obviously limits the number of teams that could make a play for Turner to those at or near the top of the second round this year, if that is the true asking price. I suppose if a team that wasn't at the top of the second round was desperate enough they could offer a first.
It wouldn't surprise me if teams that are interested try to wait it out though. San Diego GM A.J. Smith would obviously love to get value this year for a player that will likely be out the door for nothing next year. The longer he waits the less he will likely get in return for Turner. Of course if just one team can't land the RB they want in the draft he could get lucky and name his price.
While some teams might like the talent that Turner brings, there is the other deterrent of signing him to a lucrative long term deal.
I don't know if I'd give up a first for him, but I'd have to strongly consider giving up a 2nd if that's indeed all it would take. Again it's just rumblings I'm hearing. Nothing definitive.
We'll have to see if Turner talk heats up around the league. Stay tuned.

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1172

Reaction score
I'd love for this move to happen, but am skeptical that we get Turner just for flipping first round picks.

If it was that easy, I'd have to think the Bills would've been in on this deal a while back.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Chargers have the 30th pick. Swapping picks (16 vs 20) would basically cost us a middle 2nd round pick.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but he was a RFA. The Chargers high-tendered him (1 year, 2.35 million). We could get him now, but we would have to give up a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. That's not going to happen. But we can also work out a trade and i'm sure that's going to happen. He will either go to Buffalo or hopefully GB. The Chargers should just trade him to the NFC. That way they won't have to worry about facing him once again. :twocents:

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm impressed with his YPC from last year but he always came in fresh and never got tired out. I also question whether our OL is as talented as SDs OL. We all know it starts up there. I'm pretty sure he'd be at least as good as Green would have been and for a lot longer. That said, with so many good RBs available in the draft at a much cheaper price, I doubt if TT takes this shot. However, I STILL think we have too many holes to fill for a draft to handle it. Thus, SOME FA activity or trades seem to be necessary.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang,......i don't know ANYTHING about this guy. Sounds to me like alot of you are high on him though.
But who really knows if theres any truth to it?

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His combine numbers:

Michael Turner
Position: Running Back Michael Turner
College: Northern Illinois
Height: 5-10
Weight: 237

Hometown: North Chicago, Ill.

AGILITY TESTS
4.42 in the 40-yard dash … 400-pound bench press … 385-pound squat … 295-pound power clean … Bench presses 225 pounds 20 times … 31½-inch vertical jump … 13 chin ups … 7.4 percent body fat … 29 3/8-inch arm length … 9 5/8-inch hands … Left-handed ... Wonderlic: 35.

Looks impressive to me. A RB with FB size and CB speed. Plus he's smart and in perfect shape.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we did get him, do you think we would have a dual RB system, or would Turner shoulder the load?

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this move would actually be the ideal situation
1. after Peterson and Lynch there isnt really anything to special
2. this move would still leave u with a 1st rounder where u could still get a good receiver or maybe Greg Olsen
Its almost like filling two needs with one pick not to mention this kid looks pretty good in his limited carries it would be interesting to see what he could do with 15-20 carries a game. with his running style he should be a really good fit for the zone blocking one cut system and with his speed u could see a lot of one cut and hes gone. You dont want to say low risk when your involving 1st round picks but it seems kind of like a low risk high reward type trade if Turner can handle being a feature back

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner would be the one guy out there who would be worth spending the big bucks for!!!

His #'s are pretty impressive considering he has been stuck behind LT.

OP
OP
A

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we did get him, do you think we would have a dual RB system, or would Turner shoulder the load?
He'd clearly be our workhorse. This kid set all kinds of records in college, just look at his numbers:

2002 Top 10 Rushers

Player School Yards
1 Larry Johnson Penn State 160.5
2 Michael Turner Northern Illinois 159.6
3 Chris Brown Colorado 153.4
4 Willis McGahee Miami (FL) 134.9
5 Marcus Merriweather Ball State 134.8
6 Quentin Griffin Oklahoma 134.6
7 Avon Cobourne West Virginia 131.5
8 Steven Jackson Oregon State 130.0
9 Joffrey Reynolds Houston 128.8
10 Terry Caulley Connecticut 124.7

Top Single-Season Rushing Yards

Player School Year Yards
1 Barry Sanders Oklahoma State 1988 2,628
2 Marcus Allen Southern Cal 1981 2,342
3 Troy Davis Iowa State 1996 2,185
4 LaDainian Tomlinson TCU 2000 2,158
5 Mike Rozier Nebraska 1983 2,148
6 Rickey Williams Texas 1998 2,124
7 Larry Johnson Penn State 2002 2,087
8 Byron Hanspard Texas Tech 1996 2,084
9 Rashaan Salaam Colorado 1994 2,055
10 Troy Davis Iowa State 1995 2,010
11 LeShon Johnson Northern Illinois 1993 1,976
12 Tony Dorsett Pittsburgh 1976 1,948
13 Michael Turner Northern Illinois 2002 1,915

He's very reliable, no health issues. Also, he secures the ball very well, so he rarely fumbles, if at all. He also has good hands and he can catch, but i would rather have some other 3rd down RB out there to keep Turner fresh.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You all remember Lashon Johnson? He came from the same school. Drafted by the cardinals, we had him for a short time. Never amounted to anything. I hope turner is not the same type.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'd LOVE to have him but i just don't see ANY way this going to happen. he's gonna cost us a first and third rounder. ouch. no way. i don't necessarily think that is TOO high, but there's no way ted pulls the trigger on this one, sad to say.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i'd LOVE to have him but i just don't see ANY way this going to happen. he's gonna cost us a first and third rounder. ouch. no way. i don't necessarily think that is TOO high, but there's no way ted pulls the trigger on this one, sad to say.

I thought they said the deal could be made by switching 1st's which would be equivalant to the high second they say they want (which we don't have)?

This kid is worth whatever we give up picking later in the 1st round and gives SD something which is better than what they will get if they wait.

Grab him and Moss, pick up Leonard in the second round, and defenses would be really scratching their heads wondering how to stop us.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd swap picks to if we got Turner. It would be a great move for the Packers and San Diego could move up for someone like Patrick Willis or even a receiver. I don't think the deal would be as easy as swapping picks though. San Diego would probably want more.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they are just posturing right now when they say they want to keep Turner for depth. Either they get something for him this year, or they get nothing for him after this year. Hard to stare a first or second rounder in the face for the sake of depth at the most replaceable position in football.

Members online

Latest posts