Packers about to make mistake of letting James Jones go?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
McCarthy indicated that Boykin, 24, was a capable No. 3 wide receiver and, with continued improvement, might even become a No. 2. "I've always liked Jarrett. I've always felt he had it."
This will likely make Jones expendable and maybe Jordy after next season if someone else steps up.
Three years ago, Jones tested the free-agent market before coming back to the Packers for $9.6 million over three years. It was money well spent.
He'll need to backload for these numbers in GB this time and it won't be until later after the top WR's are signed elsewhere.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is a tough player to evaluate due to the salary cap and his age. Is he a productive player who I would love to have back? Yes. But we have no idea what his market value is. He hit the free agent market at 27 a didn't get any big offers. The question is, will that happen again this time? Will a team pay more than market value for a 30-year old receiver playing in a passing offense with the best quarterback in the league?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This maybe a "Cobb or Jones" situation.

Who would some of you rather keep? I'd rather keep Cobb.

It would suck to lose Jones, I agree, but perhaps the teams doesnt wanna tie up a bunch money into the WR position. We still have to sign and Nelson and Cobb long term.

Who knows though. Maybe Jones tests the market and doesnt get any good offers and we sign him to a cheap 1-2 year contract.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't view it as a big mistake. He's a good player, but not worth breaking the bank over.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love James Jones. He was a good player for GB with one elite year. I was a big defender of his for so many of his earlier years when people wanted him shipped out for a draft pick. With that being said though..

We'd be making a significant financial agreement with an aging #4 WR on our team. This league is a business. If 2011 repeats itself over again and he comes back on a cheap, one to two year contract I'm all for it. But I doubt lightning strikes twice. Someone will show him the money.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jones is very replaceable. Extend Nelson and draft a receiver in rounds 3-5.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would much rather extend Nelson and Cobb than extend Jones and I hope that's the reason for this decision if Jones does go elsewhere. I really respect Jones as a person and a player. I particularly admired his renewed dedication focusing on catching the ball which resulted in his great 2012 season and dramatic reduction in drops. So I would really like to see him stay in Green Bay but not at the expense of other, higher priority players. And in addition to Boykin, WR is the position Thompson has had the best luck drafting. If they can lock up Nelson and Cobb for the next 3-4 seasons, I will feel very good about the WR position.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vikes are probably licking their chops right about now! I don't see the pack re-signing him. Boykin is the cheaper option and we have more pressing needs. It sucks but what can you do?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The vikes are probably licking their chops right about now! I don't see the pack re-signing him. <insert younger rising player> is the cheaper option and we have more pressing needs. It sucks but what can you do?
FIFY. Cut and paste into most any Packer FA thread as long as TT is the GM.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't view it as a big mistake. He's a good player, but not worth breaking the bank over.
He is NOT going to "break the bank".

Define that anyway. What's your definition of breaking the bank?

Cullen Jenkins didn't break the bank when Philly signed him away.
Greg Jennings did from Minny, however.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Jones and would like to keep him but he has one great game then disappears the next. Now he's a 3rd or 4th receiver. Jordy is more of a priority.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax, tough guy. It was mostly a figure of speech.

Jones is just another guy. He's a good guy, I like him as a person, but his talent isn't so great that we need spend a whole lot for his services.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fine with letting him test the market but only if it is because they like Boykin and want to get younger at WR. If this is to save money for ****ing raji I will be pissed.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's to throw money at Raji. If the cap stayed unchanged from last season, the Packers are $30+ million under the cap, so I don't think Raji has anything to do with it. My thought is, after reviewing the game film, they view Jones' talent about the same as Boykin's at this point, but with less upside.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view the Packers having lots of injuries and the receivers are no exception. Now you are rolling out Jordy, Boykin and Cobb. What happens when someone gets hurt? I like the stable as it stands. Having only those 3 knowns scares me.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson and Cobb should be prioritized but another contract with Jones shouldn't be expensive.

WR is considered a position of strength/depth in this year's draft and there are plenty of serviceable veterans in free agency.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look at it like this- There was a time where every "Known" or "Proven" player was unknown and unproven. At some point you just have to move on from the "Known" guy and roll with an up-and-comer. We have OTA's and training camp to sort it out and get the best guys on the field.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ deserves to test the market and the chance to pull of his probably last big contract. but I'm still not sure if he's leaving at all. At the WR position it's a buyers market with both, a deep draft class and more than a couple of quality FA . and because of there seems to be no bad blood between him and the organisation he'll maybe resign with the Pack.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view the Packers having lots of injuries and the receivers are no exception. Now you are rolling out Jordy, Boykin and Cobb. What happens when someone gets hurt? I like the stable as it stands. Having only those 3 knowns scares me.
That's exactly how I feel.

#1- Finley is uncertain, both being back and if he is back, staying healthy and being the same as before.
#2- Our guys get hurt. Just relying on 3 is foolish. We know what happens when a great QB loses his relied weapons. Look back at the Favre years where he had to rely on Bill Schroeder as a starter. Even our 1996 Super Bowl season, there were some games the offense was so bad, we had to bring in..... gulp.... Andre Rison to get by. Today, Theodore would never do such a thing.
#3- Because Teddy relies on youth, unproven guys more than vets. We all know that. And guess what, it sometimes doesn't work and it can be fatal. See safeties: 2011, 2012, 2013.

I am guessing Jones doesn't get more than $4 mil a year. For what we paid guys like Morgan Burnett for doing way less than Jones provides, plus Jones has been pretty durable compared to Burnett, I don't want to see us lose Jones over little moneys.

If someone throws a big # at Jones, I can accept him taking the big money to leave.
I'm still gonna love Jones like I do Bishop even though he went purple, and like we loved Al Harris, Kampman, and Cullen Jenkins.
He's no Jennings & Favre.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The last time he tested free agency and got no bites was because he was not the name he is now. Teams need that one last weapon or they need some guy to take the heat off of their star #1 guy. Jones can and will do this. This time around he will go to the highest cash knowing that he is close to the end of a career. 3 more good years left in him, some team will pay for that indeed.

My guess:
1st - Minn., they love the former packers
2nd- Jags maybe....they really only have cecil shorts and could use another good WR
3rd- AZ - He would be cheap enough for them to get and he would compliment Fitz nicely.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's exactly how I feel.

#1- Finley is uncertain, both being back and if he is back, staying healthy and being the same as before.
#2- Our guys get hurt. Just relying on 3 is foolish. We know what happens when a great QB loses his relied weapons. Look back at the Favre years where he had to rely on Bill Schroeder as a starter. Even our 1996 Super Bowl season, there were some games the offense was so bad, we had to bring in..... gulp.... Andre Rison to get by. Today, Theodore would never do such a thing.
#3- Because Teddy relies on youth, unproven guys more than vets. We all know that. And guess what, it sometimes doesn't work and it can be fatal. See safeties: 2011, 2012, 2013.

I am guessing Jones doesn't get more than $4 mil a year. For what we paid guys like Morgan Burnett for doing way less than Jones provides, plus Jones has been pretty durable compared to Burnett, I don't want to see us lose Jones over little moneys.

If someone throws a big # at Jones, I can accept him taking the big money to leave.
I'm still gonna love Jones like I do Bishop even though he went purple, and like we loved Al Harris, Kampman, and Cullen Jenkins.
He's no Jennings & Favre.

We get it you love James Jones, but he isn't a top priority I don't know how you don't see that. If Ted has done one thing right it's find WR's not even you can argue that. Murphy, Greg, Jordy, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, and from everything I've read they like Kevin Dorsey as well.

The position will be fine and I'd expect TT to draft another and sign a few as UDFA's. Also, you act like losing Jones depletes the WR group. We still have Jordy who IMO is a top 10 NFL WR, and one of the most dynamic young WR's in the game in Cobb, both of which need to be resigned.

As I've said before, I have nothing against James Jones as a player this is purely from a business and financial standpoint. We just have too many other needs to take care of and the #3 WR just isn't one of them. Some team is going to get a very solid player, and I wish him all the best but I just hope it isn't here.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time he tested free agency and got no bites was because he was not the name he is now. Teams need that one last weapon or they need some guy to take the heat off of their star #1 guy. Jones can and will do this. This time around he will go to the highest cash knowing that he is close to the end of a career. 3 more good years left in him, some team will pay for that indeed.

My guess:
1st - Minn., they love the former packers
2nd- Jags maybe....they really only have cecil shorts and could use another good WR
3rd- AZ - He would be cheap enough for them to get and he would compliment Fitz nicely.

1. I would hate to see him go to Minny, and not because I feel he puts them over the top or anything but see Greg Jennings. Jennings and took the payday, not that I blame him, but he will waste away in Minny. I don't want that for Jones.
2. See point #1. This one is not Jones specific either. I would hate to see any good NFL player go to Jax. That team is a dumpster fire.
3. True but don't they have some guys that they believe in there.. and isnt Ted trading for Fitzy?;)

I think the Giants would be a good fit for him. After reading that there is almost a 0% chance they resign Nicks.

D

Deleted member 6794

We still got Myles White as well, who should some promise in the only two games he played with Rodgers. Improving the defense is a higher priority than re-signing our #3 WR.

Members online

Latest posts