Packers 8-8 this year?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is realistic. I don't agree with all the Scenario's but it's a fair open-minded prediction

Tom Oates
Wisconsin State Journal

You keep telling yourself that tight-****** general manager Ted Thompson eventually will add a few players this off- season. Then you see that the Green Bay Packers' schedule is tougher than last year's and you wonder how they'll build on those four straight season- ending wins when the roster isn't as good.

Though the draft could change things, here is one guess as to how the Packers' season will go:

Philadelphia: Brett Favre tells ESPN he's learning toward retirement after a 16th season as quarterback of the Packers, then fuels speculation when he blows off still another postgame press conference. Loss.

At New York Giants: Too bad the Packers can't play New York later in the season when the Giants have grown tired of coach Tom Coughlin's act. Loss.

San Diego: First-year Chargers coach Norv Turner will screw up the NFL's most talented team, just not this soon. Loss.

At Minnesota: Fresh because he no longer gets pancaked on first down, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila sacks Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger five times after Bollinger replaces an ineffective Tarvaris Jackson. Win.

Chicago: Even without Tank Johnson, who has joined Pacman Jones in the commissioner's new maximum security jail, the Bears send the Packers to a fourth straight 1-4 start. Loss.

Washington: Favre breaks Dan Marino's touchdown record and George Blanda's interception record on the same day. Win.

At Denver: Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, angry that the Packers acquiesced to Al Harris' contract demands and not his, burns the cornerback for three touchdowns. Loss.

At Kansas City: As the Milwaukee Brewers beat the Kansas City Royals in Game 7 of the World Series next door, the Packers can't make it a sweep at Arrowhead. Loss.

Minnesota: Bollinger is too battered to play, so the Vikings coax T.J. Rubley out of retirement. Late in the game, Rubley audibles to a pass, which is intercepted by the Packers' Terrell Buckley. Win.

Carolina: Favre is injured executing a textbook fireman's carry on Donald Driver, giving Aaron Rodgers a chance to quiet the doubters, which he does. Win.

At Detroit: Rookie wide receiver Calvin Johnson, the surprise first-round draft pick of Lions general manager Matt Millen, catches three touchdown passes. Loss.

At Dallas: Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens also catches three TD passes, the final one amid four Packers in the end zone as time expires, eliminating Green Bay from playoff contention. Loss.

Oakland: Wide receiver Randy Moss catches three TD passes - all from Favre. Win.

At St. Louis: Rookie halfback Marshawn Lynch finally makes Packers fans forget that Ahman Green was allowed to leave. Win.

At Chicago: Having clinched the NFC North title, the Bears let the Packers win a meaningless late-season game for the second year in a row. Win.

Detroit: Favre weeps after playing the final game of his career, but later tells reporters he hasn't made up his mind on retirement. Win.

So there you have it. The Packers will win their last four games for the second straight year to go 8-8 for the second straight year. Unless Thompson finally gets busy, that is.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is realistic. I don't agree with all the Scenario's but it's a fair open-minded prediction

Tom Oates
Wisconsin State Journal

You keep telling yourself that tight-****** general manager Ted Thompson eventually will add a few players this off- season. Then you see that the Green Bay Packers' schedule is tougher than last year's and you wonder how they'll build on those four straight season- ending wins when the roster isn't as good.

Though the draft could change things, here is one guess as to how the Packers' season will go:

Philadelphia: Brett Favre tells ESPN he's learning toward retirement after a 16th season as quarterback of the Packers, then fuels speculation when he blows off still another postgame press conference. Loss.

At Minnesota: Fresh because he no longer gets pancaked on first down, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila sacks Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger five times after Bollinger replaces an ineffective Tarvaris Jackson. Win.

Washington: Favre breaks Dan Marino's touchdown record and George Blanda's interception record on the same day. Win.

At Denver: Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, angry that the Packers acquiesced to Al Harris' contract demands and not his, burns the cornerback for three touchdowns. Loss.

At Kansas City: As the Milwaukee Brewers beat the Kansas City Royals in Game 7 of the World Series next door, the Packers can't make it a sweep at Arrowhead. Loss.

Minnesota: Bollinger is too battered to play, so the Vikings coax T.J. Rubley out of retirement. Late in the game, Rubley audibles to a pass, which is intercepted by the Packers' Terrell Buckley. Win.

Carolina: Favre is injured executing a textbook fireman's carry on Donald Driver, giving Aaron Rodgers a chance to quiet the doubters, which he does. Win.

At Detroit: Rookie wide receiver Calvin Johnson, the surprise first-round draft pick of Lions general manager Matt Millen, catches three touchdown passes. Loss.

At Dallas: Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens also catches three TD passes, the final one amid four Packers in the end zone as time expires, eliminating Green Bay from playoff contention. Loss.

Oakland: Wide receiver Randy Moss catches three TD passes - all from Favre. Win.

At St. Louis: Rookie halfback Marshawn Lynch finally makes Packers fans forget that Ahman Green was allowed to leave. Win.

At Chicago: Having clinched the NFC North title, the Bears let the Packers win a meaningless late-season game for the second year in a row. Win.

Detroit: Favre weeps after playing the final game of his career, but later tells reporters he hasn't made up his mind on retirement. Win.

So there you have it. The Packers will win their last four games for the second straight year to go 8-8 for the second straight year. Unless Thompson finally gets busy, that is.

Lets see, you laugh at my article on how a guy viewed the packers draft form 2000 till this year, and you post this??

How can anyone truly believe how this guy thinks they will do record wise with all those crazy "predictions"???

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, because it was from some average guy writing up stuff. This is from a true Journalist.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, because it was from some average guy writing up stuff. This is from a true Journalist.

yup this is a true journalist

the Vikings coax T.J. Rubley out of retirement. Late in the game, Rubley audibles to a pass, which is intercepted by the Packers' Terrell Buckley. Win.

:rotflmao:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moved.

With all due respect to the author of the article. It's pure speculation on his part. This team has the potential to be in the playoffs but they have to live up to it first and the team needs an excellent draft once again.

I will say looking at the schedule right now is useless. Everyone does including myself but the Saints were marked as an easy win last year and they went to the NFC Championship game. The Jets made the playoffs and people looked at that as a win.

Let’s see how the Pack and other teams look in training camp first before we start breaking down the schedule.

:twocents:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone that reads that "article" and gives it ANY real consideration I think is giving it more then the writer even MEANT for it to have.
And just because it's from a "true journalist" doesn't mean the guy knows BEANS about football!
I found it to be amusing writting, but had NOTHING of substance to it.
Heck. i think I could write a better article then that!
(Of course, I'm not a "true journalist!")LOLOL!!! :rotflmao:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone that reads that "article" and gives it ANY real consideration I think is giving it more then the writer even MEANT for it to have.
And just because it's from a "true journalist" doesn't mean the guy knows BEANS about football!

That is what I was refering to..

Why is this article suppose to have merit with all the unbelievable things, where as the one I posted not supposed to be taken seriously

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy sounds like a moron to me. Anyways it sounds to me like the guy is just trying to bash Ted Thompson.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

That is what I was refering to..

Why is this article suppose to have merit with all the unbelievable things, where as the one I posted not supposed to be taken seriously
]
Yup LT......i was agreeing with you 100%.
The word "journalist" doesn't also mean "expert at everything".

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will return to glory and go 10 - 6 and make the playoffs
Seriously, i think we will too.
Maybe i'm just looking at it through "green and gold" colored glasses, but i truely believe it.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted it because it was from the Wisconsin State Journal. I didn't say it was going to happen word for word but it is a fair assessment.

Longtime, your little article was from some average joe writing an article. Its like me going to PackerChatters and finding a poster who has the same opinions as me and then posting it here.

Sorry I hurt you feelings.

Anyways I feel this is pretty accurate going by the Wins/Losses. You can disagree if you want.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont let em take your green and gold glasses cheesey. who says its wrong for you to root for your team to win everygame, and truly believe your team can win anygame. I SAY WEAR THE GREEN AND GOLD GLASSES PROUDLY.

This article is a joke, and its not even that funny. if you take any writer serious when he says the royals and world series in the same sentence, and then post it as realistic and a fair open minded prediction, your not only way off base in the head, your just someone bored and trying to stir something up on the internet.

the packers go at worst 0-16 this season and at best, 16-0. and im gonna root for them and cheer every down regardless. thats a fair and openminded prediction for you from a real fan.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy sounds like a moron to me. Anyways it sounds to me like the guy is just trying to bash Ted Thompson.

Oh my god, here comes the Thompson Defense Army. Somebody said they might not go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl.......They must be TED BASHING

Get over it. This guy is giving his opinion on the Packers not TED BASHING.

How many brothers does TT have. I mean we have 3-4 just in this thread, plus Matt Millen, so thats at least 4-5. Geesh!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dont let em take your green and gold glasses cheesey. who says its wrong for you to root for your team to win everygame, and truly believe your team can win anygame. I SAY WEAR THE GREEN AND GOLD GLASSES PROUDLY.

This article is a joke, and its not even that funny. if you take any writer serious when he says the royals and world series in the same sentence, and then post it as realistic and a fair open minded prediction, your not only way off base in the head, your just someone bored and trying to stir something up on the internet.

the packers go at worst 10-6 this season and at best, 12-4. thats a fair and openminded prediction for you from a real fan.
Thanks Packnic!
I always look at the Packer's glass as "half full!" Looking at the schedule, the games that really concern me are San Diego, and Denver. Of course Chicago and Minnesota are always tough on their home field. Other then those, I don't really see any games we can't be competetive in.
The Eagles, it's a home game, and I think Phil has been declining.
The Giants, they looked awful at the end of last year, and I'm not that scared about them. Plus Tiki is gone.
Washington, they haven't done anything in awhile.
Kansas City could be scary.
Carolina is beatable.
Dallas i think just had some good bounces last year, and will come back down to reality.
Oakland, is well, Oakland.
St. Louis is an away game for us, to me is a tossup.
We should beat Detroit twice, and if we split with Minn and Chic we should be around 10-6 or 11-5.
Positive thinking on my part? Yes. But it is possible!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and theres not a thing wrong with being positive is there. some people here should give it a try, it makes for a much better time.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:

Oh my god, here comes the Thompson Defense Army. Somebody said they might not go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl.......They must be TED BASHING

Get over it. This guy is giving his opinion on the Packers not TED BASHING.

How many brothers does TT have. I mean we have 3-4 just in this thread, plus Matt Millen, so thats at least 4-5. Geesh!
Pyle......with the comments the guy made (like the T.J. Rubley thing) can you really take what the guy is writting seriously? Just because he is a "journalist" doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about. Plus, the way i read it, the whole thing is tongue in cheek. I don't think he had any intention of anyone taking what he wrote as being serious. I think you are giving his article WAY too much consideration.
If he had written SERIOUS reasons why he believed the wins/losses were gonna happen, i would read it as a piece of serious journalism.
He didn't however, he wrote it more as comedy then as real. The problem for me was, it wasn't good as comedy OR as serious journalism.
Just my humble opinion of course!

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and theres not a thing wrong with being positive is there. some people here should give it a try, it makes for a much better time.

Actually I disagree, being positive will not change the outcome and will only result in dissapointment most of the time.

I would rather look at this team objectively. When you do that it looks like another average year for the Pack.

We were an 8-8 team last year and beat only 1 team worth a damn.

Since then we have lost our feature RB and still failed to address ANY weakness. Not a single one. We will address them with rookies and bank our season on "potential" instead of proven players. On top of that the schedule APPEARS to be alot tougher than last year. To me, if we don't make another move we are at best an 8-8 team.

There's no reason, other than blind optimism, to expect anything more at this point.

Now fire away with your "You are not a Packers fan" worn out comments

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, if we get Lynch and Moss we still go 8-8?

I think this will be a tough season, but we can't accurately judge how they will do just yet. A lot will be answered after the draft, but I think it's unfair to say we will do good or bad. But I am optimistic. There is a lot of youth on this team, sprinkled with experience. Resigining Barnett, Jenkins and Harris will, IMO, go a long way into improving our D. I can't count how many plays ended in an opposing TD with the defense trying to figure out who was supposed to cover who.

Yes there haven't been any new signings, yet. I really believe a lot will happen on draft day.

And Pyle - you aren't a real Packer fan...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted it because it was from the Wisconsin State Journal. I didn't say it was going to happen word for word but it is a fair assessment.

Longtime, your little article was from some average joe writing an article. Its like me going to PackerChatters and finding a poster who has the same opinions as me and then posting it here.

Sorry I hurt you feelings.

Anyways I feel this is pretty accurate going by the Wins/Losses. You can disagree if you want.

You didnt hurt my feelings

but your missing the point...

There is a HUGE difference in the 2 articles..

You know of one guy so it makes it legit, and you never heard of the other guy so he is an automatic sham..

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/thewordonthestreet.htm

another article he wrote..

To me he really breaks down things and just isnt your average poster from a forum..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Actually I disagree, being positive will not change the outcome and will only result in dissapointment most of the time.

I would rather look at this team objectively. When you do that it looks like another average year for the Pack.

Since then we have lost our feature RB and still failed to address ANY weakness. Not a single one. We will address them with rookies and bank our season on "potential" instead of proven players. On top of that the schedule APPEARS to be alot tougher than last year. To me, if we don't make another move we are at best an 8-8 team.

There's no reason, other than blind optimism, to expect anything more at this point.

Being positive OR negative about ANYTHING won't change the outcome. But it's sure alot more fun and better for your health then to look at everything and think and expect the worst.
If i didn't think the Packers had a serious chance at being better then 8-8 next year, i don't think i would even bother to watch the games.
Of course I have been this deluded way since I became a Packer fan over 40 years ago. I sat in front of my TV every week during the 1970's and 1980's BELIEVEING the Packers could win every week. Did they? Of course not. They lost ALOT more then they won. But it didn't damper my enthusiasm, or keep me from thinking "They will get them next week!" It kept me, and HAS kept me a Packer fan through good AND bad years.
Yes, i have blind faith that they will do well this year. Maybe i will be right, maybe i will be wrong. But i will love them and remain a fan cause they are MY team.
Will the Packers win the Super Bowl next year? My head says probably not. But my heart still holds onto the chance that it COULD happen.
Thats why i watch the games. It IS possible, even if remote.
And I see that TT is trying to build a young talented team, even if you don't see it that way. But i KNOW it takes time to do so. And i hope to see the results i expect this year. If it doesn't happen as i think it will, oh well.......i have NO control over it anyway. So i can think positive, as i do not see TT as another "Matt Millen", who has had SOOO many years to build the Lions, and has accomplished NOTHING. TT has done more in his couple years here then Millen has done in his whole tenure.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers success will depend on how much they improve from within. The team is young and is going to improve. How much will determine how good they do in 07.

Breaking down the games one by one right now is ridiculous no matter who the author is and how "respected" he might be. There are to many things that will happen between now and opening day to guess an outcome let alone give a mini breakdown of every game.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Packnic said:

Being positive OR negative about ANYTHING won't change the outcome. But it's sure alot more fun and better for your health then to look at everything and think and expect the worst.
If i didn't think the Packers had a serious chance at being better then 8-8 next year, i don't think i would even bother to watch the games.
Of course I have been this deluded way since I became a Packer fan over 40 years ago. I sat in front of my TV every week during the 1970's and 1980's BELIEVEING the Packers could win every week. Did they? Of course not. They lost ALOT more then they won. But it didn't damper my enthusiasm, or keep me from thinking "They will get them next week!" It kept me, and HAS kept me a Packer fan through good AND bad years.
Yes, i have blind faith that they will do well this year. Maybe i will be right, maybe i will be wrong. But i will love them and remain a fan cause they are MY team.
Will the Packers win the Super Bowl next year? My head says probably not. But my heart still holds onto the chance that it COULD happen.
Thats why i watch the games. It IS possible, even if remote.
And I see that TT is trying to build a young talented team, even if you don't see it that way. But i KNOW it takes time to do so. And i hope to see the results i expect this year. If it doesn't happen as i think it will, oh well.......i have NO control over it anyway. So i can think positive, as i do not see TT as another "Matt Millen", who has had SOOO many years to build the Lions, and has accomplished NOTHING. TT has done more in his couple years here then Millen has done in his whole tenure.

Believe it or not I think the same way about the Packers. Every game I hold out hope that they will win. I am one of the biggest Packers fans you will ever see. I have a Hawk,KGB, Driver, Favre, Levens, White, Chmura, Bennett, Sharper Jersey. My whole house is decorated in Packers stuff. I have drove 10 hours to GB to watch them play. I Drove 5 hours to Buffalo to watch them play a pre-season game. On and on and on

However............................................

Though I hold out hope every game, I know deep down inside what the outcome is going to be. I don't watch the Packers play upper tier teams and expect them to outplay them, I just hope the other team screws up enough that the Packers have a chance. I don't think it's that great of a team, I don't think our future looks bright with Brett leaving and I don't think we are being managed well.

Excuse me for not

Looking at our O-line like they are Tony Boselli, Anthony Munoz, Etc.
Looking at a mediocre 3rd down back like he is Barry Sanders
Thinking every draft pick TT selects has some OUTRAGOUS upside
on and on and on

You guys are homers for the most part. You see guys for thier "Potential" I see them for what they are. You see Ted as building some kind of dynasty, I see him as incapable of taking a gamble thus sitting on the fence.

It's not like I think they will go 0-16 but they are not good enough on paper to go anything more than 8-8 or 9-7. Could they? Of course, but predicting such a thing has no viable reasoning other than blind faith and a hell of a lot of hope.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT needs to go out and overpay or just sign anyone because otherwise we arent going to win more then 8 games.

Members online

Latest posts