Packers 20 Free Agents

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought our line played well this year for the most part. They got blown up in the lions game, but besides that I felt like they opened holes for Lacy, and gave our quarterbacks a fair amount of times to throw. It's not like they are facing poor players either, when you have to go up against guys like Jared Allen and the Detroit Lions D-line, it's not going to be easy.

We get Sherrod and Bulaga back we should provide some interesting competition with Barclay and Bahktiari for the LT and RT spots, Sitton did well as the LG, and Lang and EDS are serviceable but i think can be upgraded. We could use some depth in the interior of our line, but all in all im comfortable with the unit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought our line played well this year for the most part. They got blown up in the lions game, but besides that I felt like they opened holes for Lacy, and gave our quarterbacks a fair amount of times to throw.

I have to disagree on our line playing well. We finished 9th in the NFL for the # of sacks given up. Our QB's consistently had very little time in the pocket. As for Lacy and this is just from memory, most of his yards were gained after being hit at the line of scrimmage or taking it outside. So whether you want to blame it on injuries, inexperience or lack of talent, something has to be done to strengthen our O-line and its depth in the off season.

Again, IMO the Packers greatest weaknesses are in both of their front lines (offense and defense)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree on our line playing well. We finished 9th in the NFL for the # of sacks given up. Our QB's consistently had very little time in the pocket. As for Lacy and this is just from memory, most of his yards were gained after being hit at the line of scrimmage or taking it outside. So whether you want to blame it on injuries, inexperience or lack of talent, something has to be done to strengthen our O-line and its depth in the off season.

Again, IMO the Packers greatest weaknesses are in both of their front lines (offense and defense)

That's a little misleading because the difference between that 9th and the middle of the league is just 2 sacks. Under Aaron Rodgers, (and Matt Flynn is at least as indecisive at times in the pocket), the Packers have generally been near the top of the league in sacks allowed. We also had the #7 rushing team in the league which really re-established our offensive identity, just a huge improvement from past years. I wouldn't agree that most of Lacy's yards came from outside or from his own doing. When the running game had to turn to Starks or Franklin, they were just as effective.

I think the offensive line did a heck of a job, especially considering they didn't have Bulaga the entire season. Could they be better? Sure, especially at tackle, but the defense is what is holding us back from being a Super Bowl contender, not the offensive line. So defense definitely takes the priority.

Offensive line isn't even remotely close to being the weakness that safety is on this team.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I see no evidence of a player option in Raji's contract. You state that like a fact, not a conjecture. Got a link? Is this supposed option guaranteed? All indications are his contract expires into unrestricted free agency.
It's times like this I hate Rotoworld. It was just pushing part of Raji's bonus into 2015 according to Ketchman, who confirms that the year was voided. http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-Cowboys/497f49bd-f0b1-4731-8628-c894cd69b5ae

I have seen nothing to suggest Raji isn't an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

His impending free agency has been widely publicized, for one. It would have stood to reason that it would have been pointed out at some point if he had a player option for this year. He has been including among our potential free agents for this year in many other publications.

I can find no evidence of it online. Rotoworld lists him as a free agent in 2014.
Because he is. The last year was voided. Had they not taken down the info it would have been listed on Rotoworld.

You guys want a link? I offer you math instead. Explain to me how a guy who signed a 5 year deal in 2009 is a free agent after 2013. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/53179157.html

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

While we're on the subject of math, it crossed my mind today that Raji may have set the NFL record for fewest tackles per snap, or at least the record since 2001 when tackles became an official stat. One of our erstwhile insider reporters with access to the Elias database should run the query rather tha speculate about his signing.

I figure him for around 65% of around 65 team defensive snaps per game, or around 675 snaps. ESPN shows him with 12 solo tackles and 7 assists for the entire season. That's one solo per 56 snaps; one solo or assist per 36 snaps.

Were this an $8 million dollar season, that would be $667,000 per solo tackle.

This brings "taking up blocks" to a level of absurdity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, Lacy breaks tackles to gain extra yards, but to me there's no question the run blocking was very good. Look at any of Lacy's big runs this season and I bet you'll see good blocking.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yes, Lacy breaks tackles to gain extra yards, but to me there's no question the run blocking was very good. Look at any of Lacy's big runs this season and I bet you'll see good blocking.
Does the Screen TD against the 49ers in the season opener count? Because nobody blocked anybody on that one.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I've looked at the box score and watched the highlights. Lacy's only TD was a two yard run.

I have no idea whatsoever to what play you are referring.
You're right, didn go for a TD. It was the 31 yd screen pass that got us into the redzone.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, didn go for a TD. It was the 31 yd screen pass that got us into the redzone.

Found it on youtube. He had three lineman in front of him and wasn't touched until 10 yards down the field where he broke one tackle and then again when untouched until he was tackled. Looked like great blocking to me. Second play of the video. Actually, he's got nice running lane in all the big runs of the video.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue what the heck to even think about Raji because he was just brutal this season. He was one of my favorite players before this year but no question - he sucked this season.

Bakhtiari? Not sure what all the hate is about with our O-line. When we get defenses on their heals and we get rolling the O-Line was very good. (Other than when Newhouse comes in and the entire line goes to hell- now there is a guy that needs to be replaced)

Look at how they were able to knock the niners back 5 yards on all of those 2nd and short plays. Bakhtiari is going to be very good IMO. Several Packers players said he's an absolute beast and one of the only guys on the team that's slowed Matthews in practice. Everyone in the know is very high on him.
Bakh is a weird-looking dude.
Weird shape, not the body you expect at LT these days.
The strange mullet...... but I think he does a good job, although he had some struggles as a rook. He faced GREAT edge rushers this year.
He should improve.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a thought experiment:

Let's say the $ difference between Tretter and EDS is $2 mil per year and let's say the current gap between what Shields has been offered and what he's asking for is $2 million per year. Where would you apply that $2 million, considering the replacement possibilities of Lang, Tretter or a draftee (preferably one who benches more than Konz' 18 reps, a guy for whom many Pack fans were pounding the table)?
IF THAT was accurate, I'd keep Shields and roll with Lang at center for sure.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Reasonable" is the operative term. Even then, the problem with EDS is he's a one-position player. If he were to lose his job, he's got questionable value as a backup.
I thought EDS was first a swing GUARD for us, in fact he was playing G when Suh stomped on him.
Is my memory failing me again?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I thought EDS was first a swing GUARD for us, in fact he was playing G when Suh stomped on him.
Is my memory failing me again?
Yes, he did start out as a C/G. He stunk at guard. That's why I said he's a one position player.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Found it on youtube. He had three lineman in front of him and wasn't touched until 10 yards down the field where he broke one tackle and then again when untouched until he was tackled. Looked like great blocking to me. Second play of the video. Actually, he's got nice running lane in all the big runs of the video.
Funny, EDS wasn't touched either. Sitton made a good block and Lang blocked somebody that was out of the play. We've come a long way.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Bakh is a weird-looking dude.
Weird shape, not the body you expect at LT these days.
The strange mullet...... but I think he does a good job, although he had some struggles as a rook. He faced GREAT edge rushers this year.
He should improve.
An offseason of NFL body building should fix some of that.
IF THAT was accurate, I'd keep Shields and roll with Lang at center for sure.
Please not Lang at C.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what I expect their price-tag WILL be, here's how I rank them from 1-20 based on who I WOULD sign if those PRICE-TAGs are fairly accurate.

1. Sam Shields
  2. Ryan Pickett
  3. #Jermichael Finley
  4. James Jones
  5. #Johnny Jolly
  6. John Kuhn
  7. James Starks
  8. Evan Dietrich-Smith
  9. Matt Flynn
  10. Mike Neal
  11. CJ Wilson
  12. Jamari Lattimore
  13. Andrew Quarless
  14. Chris Banjo (he can become Jarrett Bush, but much cheaper, and perhaps better)
  15. BJ Raji
  16. Robert Francois
  17. MD Jennings
  18. Kahlil Bell
  19. Marshall Newhouse
  20. Seneca Wallace
#-Injury question.
I don't think Finley will ever play for us again. But if I am wrong, and he's deemed fit to play again, he's gotta be kept.
Same with Jolly.
Pickett, James Jones, Flynn, Wilson will all get small enough contracts that they become no-brain keepers.
Maybe Neal too. Not sure on Kuhn as there might be one team who throws a high # at him, also someone will probably throw a high dollar # at Starks.
EDS, his # range is wide. You'd like to give Rodgers the same center for a few years in a row.

Shields, he's going to get rich.
I have the odds that it's with us at only about 30%.
Ted really values his CB analysis. He found Shields, and Hayward, and we know he loves Davon House, whom he selected right before Richard Sherman in that 2011 Draft.

People keep saying BJ Raji has a combination of rare size and speed you don't find.
I don't buy that anymore. I see more and more 320+ pound guys who move fast like him.
Terrance Knighton, a FREE AGENT Denver brought in from Jacksonville.
Have you ever seen Raji move like you saw Knighton move yesterday vs New England?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is the new Bush, not Banjo.
I think Hyde is a lot better than Bush.
I think Banjo is gonna be that guy who makes his living on special teams, like Bush has.
And be an emergency DB. As Bush has been...usually to the bad, but once in the Super Bowl, Int on Rothlisburger.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with your bottom 14-20. They can all go. Finley and Starks can go walk, Finley because of injury, Starks because we have Lacy, Dujuan Harris and Frankin. I'd rate Jolly over JJones as a keeper if his injury isn't serious. Everyone else is a keeper.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get the advocating for Lang at C.

We are developing a decent line, we have two good guards, finally! (one great).

Just because Lang is a good guard doesn't mean he'll be a good center. Then we'll also have to worry about replacing him at guard.

I'd like to put an end to the day of the musical chairs on the line as we finally seem to be developing some continuity and are more likely to have success doing so.

Members online

Latest posts