Packers 20 Free Agents

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Or he forgot because Raji's contract is a player option.
I see no evidence of a player option in Raji's contract. You state that like a fact, not a conjecture. Got a link? Is this supposed option guaranteed? All indications are his contract expires into unrestricted free agency.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most crucial resigning on offense is probably Evan Dietrich-Smith. The Pack won't want to go thru another experience like they had when Scott Wells left two years ago. J.C. Tretter may be a developmental prospect but having a converted tackle, who missed most of his rookie season with injury isn't the guy you want to go into the next season as your center.

The article didn't cover a complete list of eligible Packers free agents. Finley is done. James Jones and James Starks could be expendable, although it would be nice to see them back for depth. But Nelson, Cobb and Boykin can be the 3 wideouts and the Packers have a knack for finding another guy or two each year to fill out the fourth and fifth spots.

Starks would be wise to stay in Green Bay as back-up and change of pace back; a role in which he flourished this season. But the lure of being a starter elsewhere for more money could overrule that and he could return to being an injured player for another team with an increased exposure. The Packers now have Eddie Lacy and the pending return and development of DuJuan Harris and Jonathan Franklin.

After the way the defense played and players with injury histories I can't see Packers free agents on defense being a particularly hot commodity to other clubs or irreplaceable in Green Bay.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I just recalled that TT was interested in Steve McLendon last offseason when he turned around and re-upped with the Steelers. We'll never know whether McClendon was just soliciting a Packer offer to extract a better deal from the Steelers, but that's neither here nor there. TT was working on a Pickett/Raji contingency plan a year ago.

The only way I see Raji coming back is if the Jolly prognosis is poor come free agent signing. Even then, the franchise tag for D-Linemen is expected to be about $8.5 mil; it is hard to see that as good value. Re-upping Pickett for a couple years at a salary commensurate with age, along with a big body pick in the first two rounds, is a more likely scenario.

Even if one grants that Raji's lack of productivity is solely a function of scheme, which I do not, then one must grant that the scheme does not warrant handing him a market value contract.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I view EDS similarly to Bakhtiari in one respect. These guys look good only in comparison to the guys they replaced...Saturday and Newhouse respectively. Bhaktiari gets the rookie benefit of the doubt.

Saturday was incapable of getting to the second level and making a block by the time we got him, one reason the 2012 running game was ineffective. EDS can get out there, if not always apace, but he frequently chips or whiffs. The guy is serviceable, nothing more or less. He is not Scott Wells and will not command anything like Wells money, so he might be back, but I'd not consider him a priority, especially in comparison to Shields.

I would not take Lacy's season as a sign of significant improvement in run blocking over 2012. His yards after contact were ungodly high.

I could see moving Lang to C and Barclay to RG. I can see Barclay excelling at that position where he doesn't need to account for the edge. Tretter at C is a possibility with Barclay staying at RT and Bulaga at LT, but that leaves Bhaktiari on the bench. Bottom line, with Bulaga returning, who should moved out of the line as the weakest link? I'd have to say EDS.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or he forgot because Raji's contract is a player option.

I have seen nothing to suggest Raji isn't an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

His impending free agency has been widely publicized, for one. It would have stood to reason that it would have been pointed out at some point if he had a player option for this year. He has been including among our potential free agents for this year in many other publications.

I can find no evidence of it online. Rotoworld lists him as a free agent in 2014.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view EDS similarly to Bakhtiari in one respect. These guys look good only in comparison to the guys they replaced...Saturday and Newhouse respectively. Bhaktiari gets the rookie benefit of the doubt.

Saturday was incapable of getting to the second level and making a block by the time we got him, one reason the 2012 running game was ineffective. EDS can get out there, if not always apace, but he frequently chips or whiffs. The guy is serviceable, nothing more or less. He is not Scott Wells and will not command anything like Wells money, so he might be back, but I'd not consider him a priority, especially in comparison to Shields.

I would not take Lacy's season as a sign of significant improvement in run blocking over 2012. His yards after contact were ungodly high.

I could see moving Lang to C and Barclay to RG. I can see Barclay excelling at that position where he doesn't need to account for the edge. Tretter at C is a possibility with Barclay staying at RT and Bulaga at LT, but that leaves Bhaktiari on the bench. Bottom line, with Bulaga returning, who should moved out of the line as the weakest link? I'd have to say EDS.

I tend to agree but I also would give him Bak some more credit based upon the position he plays. With EDS Lang and Sitton are bound to make anyone look better. Bak doesn't have such a luxury. I would agree that he's a mediocre starter right now though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some may take it with a grain of salt, but Pro Football Focus graded out EDS as the #8 ranked center in the NFL this year.

I'd rather extend him, if it's reasonable.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The article didn't cover a complete list of eligible Packers free agents. Finley is done. James Jones and James Starks could be expendable....

The article did mention Finley, in the context of Quarless' status, and Jones' FA status is noted. You are correct is saying Starks was not mentioned; then again second string TBs (or third string if Harris returns to form or fourth string if Franklin earns another year to prove he's an NFL player) are precisely the kinds of veteran players that NFL teams drop in the average annual turnover of about 12 roster spots.

The omission of Raji's name as a presumptive "star" free agent is notable.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Some may take it with a grain of salt, but Pro Football Focus graded out EDS as the #8 ranked center in the NFL this year.

More like a pound of salt.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

"Reasonable" is the operative term. Even then, the problem with EDS is he's a one-position player. If he were to lose his job, he's got questionable value as a backup.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More like a pound of salt.

Fair enough, but if it's a reasonable contract, I'd still bring him back.

Tretter is not likely to be an immediate upgrade. EDS isn't dominant, but he's serviceable and reliable.

I wouldn't be upset about getting an upgrade, but it's not high on my list of priorities, and I highly doubt it will be Lang.

He wasn't very good as a center, albeit in emergency snaps, but when EDS was out, in hurt. Also, our offensive line finally started to show some signs of stability this year and the last thing I'd want to do is shuffle everyone around again and disrupt it.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I tend to agree but I also would give him Bak some more credit based upon the position he plays. With EDS Lang and Sitton are bound to make anyone look better. Bak doesn't have such a luxury. I would agree that he's a mediocre starter right now though.
I would rank Bakhtiari's performance among the worst LTs in the league this season despite being an upgrade over Newhouse who's future in the league should be in question. He gets credit for being a rookie starting at LT in week one...I believe he was the only one despite all those high first round picks at the position. However, I did not see a lot of progress in his game from week 1 to week 16. He MUST get better to be a viable option at the position.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Reasonable" is the operative term. Even then, the problem with EDS is he's a one-position player. If he were to lose his job, he's got questionable value as a backup.

Most centers are, aren't they?

Wells was. I don't honestly know how many Guard/Center types are starting at center.

I would guess the team will come in with a team friendly offer before free agency and assuming he doesn't accept it, they'll let the market for him dictate whether he's brought back or not.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Fair enough, but if it's a reasonable contract, I'd still bring him back.

Tretter is not likely to be an immediate upgrade. EDS isn't dominant, but he's serviceable and reliable.

I wouldn't be upset about getting an upgrade, but it's not high on my list of priorities, and I highly doubt it will be Lang.

He wasn't very good as a center, albeit in emergency snaps, but when EDS was out, in hurt. Also, our offensive line finally started to show some signs of stability this year and the last thing I'd want to do is shuffle everyone around again and disrupt it.
As you say, Lang did not get much work at C. If I recall correctly, he did not play the position at any level before this past season. But he's a vet with skills; with a full off season of work at the position, he should be able to make the transition.

Tretter does not need to be an upgrade...he only needs to be comparable because he'll be a lot cheaper over the next 3 years.

"Stability" is one of those words like "serviceable". It sounds good when compared to 2012 with Saturday and Newhouse, but it's not very reassuring. Besides, with Bulaga returning it will be shaken up again regardless. And like I said, this is still not a very good run blocking line...Lacy's years will be short if has to constantly plow his own way.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Most centers are, aren't they?

Once they're starters. Many backups who graduate start out as C/G. Many of these guys bounce between these positions in college. EDS was listed as a C/G when he was a backup, but I hope we can agree we would not want to see him at G.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does anyone know what Tretter will bring to the table? He's a fourth-round (I believe without checking) pick that didn't last past May because of injury. He's a complete unknown. I find it surprising/ridiculous that his name keeps being brought up as a potential solution to our alleged OL woes.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

It's worth noting regarding Tretter's draft status:

1. He played at Cornell.
2. He switched from TE to O-Line for his junior season.

So, he's an athletic guy, short on O-Line experience, and he played against weak competition. He was not projected as an OT in NFL. Moving mid-round college OTs with some athleticism to the interior line is the Packer profile.

That said, I doubt he's been penciled in for anything quite yet; he is one possibility. However, decisions must be made before the expiration of the FA period and before OTAs. As always, money and the value proposition comes into play.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Here's a thought experiment:

Let's say the $ difference between Tretter and EDS is $2 mil per year and let's say the current gap between what Shields has been offered and what he's asking for is $2 million per year. Where would you apply that $2 million, considering the replacement possibilities of Lang, Tretter or a draftee (preferably one who benches more than Konz' 18 reps, a guy for whom many Pack fans were pounding the table)?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I have seen nothing to suggest Raji isn't an unrestricted free agent in 2014.

His impending free agency has been widely publicized, for one. It would have stood to reason that it would have been pointed out at some point if he had a player option for this year. He has been including among our potential free agents for this year in many other publications.

I can find no evidence of it online. Rotoworld lists him as a free agent in 2014.
Right. My questions were 99% rhetorical.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue what the heck to even think about Raji because he was just brutal this season. He was one of my favorite players before this year but no question - he sucked this season.

Bakhtiari? Not sure what all the hate is about with our O-line. When we get defenses on their heals and we get rolling the O-Line was very good. (Other than when Newhouse comes in and the entire line goes to hell- now there is a guy that needs to be replaced)

Look at how they were able to knock the niners back 5 yards on all of those 2nd and short plays. Bakhtiari is going to be very good IMO. Several Packers players said he's an absolute beast and one of the only guys on the team that's slowed Matthews in practice. Everyone in the know is very high on him.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I have no clue what the heck to even think about Raji because he was just brutal this season. He was one of my favorite players before this year but no question - he sucked this season.

Bakhtiari? Not sure what all the hate is about with our O-line. When we get defenses on their heals and we get rolling the O-Line was very good. (Other than when Newhouse comes in and the entire line goes to hell- now there is a guy that needs to be replaced)

Look at how they were able to knock the niners back 5 yards on all of those 2nd and short plays. Bakhtiari is going to be very good IMO. Several Packers players said he's an absolute beast and one of the only guys on the team that's slowed Matthews in practice. Everyone in the know is very high on him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I'm still high on Bahktiari too. Keep in mind he was a rookie this year, for a rookie he was fine. He'll improve with time. If we get EDS back, and Bulaga, we've got Barclay and Tretter for depth, I think we're pretty set.
Raji was indeed abysmal this season. I can't imagine that some GM will still pay him, but they probably will. It just can't be ours.

Getting a 3rd or 4th round comp pick for Raji in 2015 would be a steal.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm with the majority here on Raji.....loved the guy (especially in 2010) but after the year he had this year (12 tackles, 5 assists and no sacks (second year in a row)) he isn't worth the 8 million he turned down. They have other cheaper and IMO better options in house or through free agency to fill his big shoes. Save the money Ted, take the compensatory pick and let him go.

Members online

Latest posts