Packer Secondary vs. Hawks Passing

HawkBeliever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to a Seattle radio station and they brought up an interesting topic.

They pretty much said that statistics (BTW, I can't cite these stats) bore out that Green Bay did the best job in the league at shutting down the opposing #1 and #2 reciever options. They attributed this to very strong and underrecognized play from the Packer's corners.

However, they also said that the Packers were ranked 31st in the league for shutting down the 3rd or 4th reciever option if they were in the game.

I don't know how those kind of stats are compiled or if they are accurate, but for discussion's sake lets presume its correct....

That gives me, as a Hawk fan, a bit of a warm fuzzy because we do have depth in our reciever corps. None of our recievers are going to be confused with Randy Moss, but they are all very good when healthy. And besides Hackett resting his ankle yesterday, they all are healthy for the first time this season.

Seems like that would be the way to challenge the Packer D. Hopefully that would force your boys to pull more people back and allow our tepid running game to get a few yards here or there.

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see your guys' perspective about that "imagine how the Seahawks might win" scenario. So go ahead, tear it all down... :pop:

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope that all makes sense. That actually factors in to how hard it was for us to cover big tight ends this season. Simply put, we got a lot of youth on our defense. They are getting better though and I don't know if "the big game" will get to them. The good thing for the Packers is that we are the team we want to be at this point as we are very healthy going into this game.

It is just one of those things that we will have to wait and see on. I have seen Atari Bigby make some great plays this season and he could have some in this game. We also have a guy named Jarret Bush who is also improving. No doubt that your receivers will frustrate the Packers (and me) tomorrow, but I still think the major deciding factor for tomorrow will be pass protection.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, you wouldn't get much argument from Packer fans on this one. We all know how good Harris and Woodson are. We all know how bad our #3 CBs and below are. It's been a sore spot for us all year.

PappyVanWinkle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to a Seattle radio station and they brought up an interesting topic.

They pretty much said that statistics (BTW, I can't cite these stats) bore out that Green Bay did the best job in the league at shutting down the opposing #1 and #2 reciever options. They attributed this to very strong and underrecognized play from the Packer's corners.

However, they also said that the Packers were ranked 31st in the league for shutting down the 3rd or 4th reciever option if they were in the game.

I don't know how those kind of stats are compiled or if they are accurate, but for discussion's sake lets presume its correct....

That gives me, as a Hawk fan, a bit of a warm fuzzy because we do have depth in our reciever corps. None of our recievers are going to be confused with Randy Moss, but they are all very good when healthy. And besides Hackett resting his ankle yesterday, they all are healthy for the first time this season.

Seems like that would be the way to challenge the Packer D. Hopefully that would force your boys to pull more people back and allow our tepid running game to get a few yards here or there.

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see your guys' perspective about that "imagine how the Seahawks might win" scenario. So go ahead, tear it all down... :pop:

That was Millen right? I also thought it was interesting what he was saying about the amount of penalties the GB secondary racks up and that this game might turn on how tight or loose the officials are on the interference and contact type calls.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, you wouldn't get much argument from Packer fans on this one. We all know how good Harris and Woodson are. We all know how bad our #3 CBs and below are. It's been a sore spot for us all year.

Pretty much. Harris and Woodson (when they're both on the field) do a phenomenal job to harassing and shutting down the #1 and #2 receivers on the field. Against the giants, Plexiglass and Amani had 4 combined catches while Shockey had a nice day. Hopefully Tramon/Frank/Will/Jarret can step up and do some work. I do like the Woodson shifts over to the slot reciever when they run 3-wide (ran that TD back vs. KC working in the slot).

OP
OP
HawkBeliever

HawkBeliever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was Millen right? I also thought it was interesting what he was saying about the amount of penalties the GB secondary racks up and that this game might turn on how tight or loose the officials are on the interference and contact type calls.

Yeah, we were listening to the same thing. They said Seattle ranked as the least penalized and the Packers ranked 2nd as most penalized. Course, if being ranked 2nd for penalities leads to a 13-3 regular season, then sign me up.

Packer fans - what kind of penalties is your team prone to commit? They don't strike me as a lack of discipline type of team regarding late hits or stuff like that. Penalties could be huge if it turns out to be a defensive standoff....

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PappyVanWinkle said:

Yeah, we were listening to the same thing. They said Seattle ranked as the least penalized and the Packers ranked 2nd as most penalized. Course, if being ranked 2nd for penalities leads to a 13-3 regular season, then sign me up.

Packer fans - what kind of penalties is your team prone to commit? They don't strike me as a lack of discipline type of team regarding late hits or stuff like that. Penalties could be huge if it turns out to be a defensive standoff....

Our SS, Atari Bigby, has been penalized quite a few times for bone-headed penalties, like kicking the ball while it's on the ground (delay of game), and some stupid late hit penalties. Also, our aggressive press man to man defense draws some illegal contact after 5 yards penalties and the occasional pass interference penalties (see GB vs. Dallas game)

OP
OP
HawkBeliever

HawkBeliever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much. Harris and Woodson (when they're both on the field) do a phenomenal job to harassing and shutting down the #1 and #2 receivers on the field. Against the giants, Plexiglass and Amani had 4 combined catches while Shockey had a nice day. Hopefully Tramon/Frank/Will/Jarret can step up and do some work. I do like the Woodson shifts over to the slot reciever when they run 3-wide (ran that TD back vs. KC working in the slot).

I will find it really interesting to see who they put Harris and Woodson on when the Hawks play 3 or 4 reciever sets. Heck, I have seen all the games this year and I would have a really difficult time trying to rank the 4 recievers as greater or lesser threats. They all are a bit different in skills and style, but it would be hard to say which ones deserve more attention than another.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be watching that too. The deal though is that if Matt or Brett are getting pressured that will be the biggest key. We have 5 real talented receivers in a single set package but pressure on Favre has limited the success of this especially in the Dallas game.

MarkAshton

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today's Seattle PI had an interesting stat in a column by Art Theil. Theil is a good columnist in Seattle...there aren't many.

Anyway, the stat is that Hasselbeck is actually equal to or slightly better than Favre was during the same stage in his career. Between the ages of 29-32 Favre's passer rating was 83.2 while Hasselbeck's was/is 86.6. He notes that there are many factors that can play into this but here's a real interesting one. During the same period (in ages), the Packers were 40-24 and the Seahawks were 41-23.

The years for Favre were from 1998-2001.

Just another meaning less stat but interesting. I think there will ever be another Favre...certainly not Hasselbeck...but our (Seattle's) QB is pretty good. Your secondary better be feeling good tomorrow.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today's Seattle PI had an interesting stat in a column by Art Theil. Theil is a good columnist in Seattle...there aren't many.

Anyway, the stat is that Hasselbeck is actually equal to or slightly better than Favre was during the same stage in his career. Between the ages of 29-32 Favre's passer rating was 83.2 while Hasselbeck's was/is 86.6. He notes that there are many factors that can play into this but here's a real interesting one. During the same period (in ages), the Packers were 40-24 and the Seahawks were 41-23.

The years for Favre were from 1998-2001.

Just another meaning less stat but interesting. I think there will ever be another Favre...certainly not Hasselbeck...but our (Seattle's) QB is pretty good. Your secondary better be feeling good tomorrow.

Keep in mind though, that time period for the Packers was kind of a lull. We lost Holmgren after the '98 season, a Coach who I doubt I have to convince you was a really good Coach. Then we had Ray Rhoads, then Mike Sherman. Sherman was 9-7 in his first year, then got better.

In the meantime, Hasselbeck had Holmgren in those years. Having 3 Coaches in 3 years is a heck of a lot more difficult than having one Coach in 3 years. Note that it took MM 2 years for his system to start working well. In that first year, I don't think anyone feared our Offense. Next year, I won't be surprised if we're the #1 O in PF, when Favre will be turning 39.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I said it earlier this week, if Branch and Hackett both play, Engram is going to the the thorn in the Packers side tomorrow.. and Hackett will make a couple of catches using his size. Branch isn't really a scare..

The rookie from Auburn... can't remember his name of hand.... how is he progressing?

OP
OP
HawkBeliever

HawkBeliever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it earlier this week, if Branch and Hackett both play, Engram is going to the the thorn in the Packers side tomorrow.. and Hackett will make a couple of catches using his size. Branch isn't really a scare..

The rookie from Auburn... can't remember his name of hand.... how is he progressing?

We drafted Courtney Taylor last year. He hasn't gotten much meaningful playing time. I can only remember a handful of catches for him this year. But I think they believe that he has a lot of promise, thats why they kept him as a 6th reciever. He is just buried behind a lot of good recievers with more experience.

His team mate from Auburn, Ben Obomanu, was drafted by the Hawks the year before. He spent 06 on the practice squad but has gotten some hard fought playing time this season. I think he had some pretty good catches and at leasat one TD this season.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

We drafted Courtney Taylor last year. He hasn't gotten much meaningful playing time. I can only remember a handful of catches for him this year. But I think they believe that he has a lot of promise, thats why they kept him as a 6th reciever. He is just buried behind a lot of good recievers with more experience.

His team mate from Auburn, Ben Obomanu, was drafted by the Hawks the year before. He spent 06 on the practice squad but has gotten some hard fought playing time this season. I think he had some pretty good catches and at leasat one TD this season.

Taylor, that was the name I was thinking of.. I thought that was this year... guess it shows how much I paid attention to the Hawks draft this year.

I am looking forward to a good game of chess so to speak tomorrow.. trying to get each other out of sync and position with playcalling and disguises.

OP
OP
HawkBeliever

HawkBeliever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Taylor, that was the name I was thinking of.. I thought that was this year... guess it shows how much I paid attention to the Hawks draft this year.

quote]
No you are right, Taylor was picked up in the last draft. My writing just obfuscated that fact :)

I too am excited to see this game. Really interesting matchups all around. I would feel a lot better if we could run the ball at will though. It kills me that 3rd and shorts aren't guarenteed with a run this seasons Hawks.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try it. Try to beat us with your 3rd and 4th receiver. Try it. They might get some catches over guys like Walker and Blackmon, but then they will get destroyed by Bigby and Collins\Rouse.

I like that all 3 of our safeties lay the wood.

Try it. I mean, Seattle radio said it's a good idea, right? Try it.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Try it. Try to beat us with your 3rd and 4th receiver. Try it. They might get some catches over guys like Walker and Blackmon, but then they will get destroyed by Bigby and Collins\Rouse.

Careful Trom, you might upset some wannabe Seahawks fans on this board...

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is funny though. Each week I approach these games very excited but there is always a post from Trom the day before a Packer game where he reminds me to be angry as well.

KILL SWITCH ACTIVATED! DIE SEAHAWKS DIEEEEEEE!

Reaction score
Try it. Try to beat us with your 3rd and 4th receiver. Try it. They might get some catches over guys like Walker and Blackmon,

Dude, Frank Walker?

Come on, he has been sub par, at best, this season. Blackmon isn't going to be playing tomorrow.

Tramon Williams getting the start at nickel over Jarret Bush surprises me a bit, but it isn't like Williams hasn't earned it.

Besides Detorit, this is probably the best 4 WRs we will go up agianst this season. Our CBs stepped up against Detroit, here's hoping for more of the same tomorrow.

Less than 20 hours till the game! :D

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow Williams over Bush. Well they have had an extra week to make that decision. I am confident they made the right one because of that fact. Will Bush still be playing in the game?

Reaction score
Wow Williams over Bush. Well they have had an extra week to make that decision. I am confident they made the right one because of that fact. Will Bush still be playing in the game?

Yes, Jarret Bush will be playing. HHis injury is healed (he was not on the injury list released today.

Pack93z

Reaction score
AADP... think they might sit Bush or Walker and keep an extra Olineman or Dlineman active for the game?

PappyVanWinkle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK, I called Coach Chumley, or whatever you guys call him now and told him what we should do. He said "OK then.".

Random prediction: You will remember Ben Obomanu after tomorrow. Might just be one play, but you all will go "What the hell is an Obomanu?".

Sorry, have to get my drink on now, as the wife is sick and I will be wrangling the toddler while trying to watch this game tomorrow.

Reaction score
AADP... think they might sit Bush or Walker and keep an extra Olineman or Dlineman active for the game?

Tough call, but I think Bodiford is inactive to create space for an extra d-linemen (probably Muir).

I think Moll/Barber will both be active because they're the best we've got left, and Spitz gives us a back-up at C.

DT has been a position we've been injury prone, so I think you gotta take Muir as precaution in case Harrell/Williams get dinged up. I'd prefer to keep Jenkins at RE as much as possible, keeping KGB as fresh as possible for passing down situations where we'll need him to create a rush against a darn good LT.

Williams should be our PR, and Bush has been solid on Special Teams. We need our special teams to take advantage of their superiority compared to the Seahawks ST, and that means playing our better ST players. Plus we've seen that if Bush is firing on all cylinders, he's a darn good nickel back, and it wouldn't hurt having an extra CB capable of holding his own as a nickel back if Walker/Williams falter. Walker has been called a great gunner on ST, so same logic applies about having our best ST players active.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

OK, I called Coach Chumley, or whatever you guys call him now and told him what we should do. He said "OK then.".

Random prediction: You will remember Ben Obomanu after tomorrow. Might just be one play, but you all will go "What the hell is an Obomanu?".

Sorry, have to get my drink on now, as the wife is sick and I will be wrangling the toddler while trying to watch this game tomorrow.

I am still trying to figure out what a toopoopoo is

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts