PACKER NATION: REPLACING RB GREEN/FANS COMMENTARIES

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TRIBUTE: FUTURE PACK HOF RB GREEN

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/PKR07/703050532/1989

Mike Vandermause column: Packers are going to miss Green

No one should feel sorry for Ahman Green after the veteran running back signed a lucrative free-agent contract with the Houston Texans on Sunday. But Green deserved better from the Green Bay Packers. Green served as a loyal soldier for seven years in Green Bay, yet the Packers weren't willing to reward him for his efforts and let him walk. Loyalty works both ways, and in this case, the Packers couldn't come close to matching the Texans' respect for Green's talents. Green will go down as one of the best running backs in team history, but in the end, that didn't matter to the Packers. Green rushed for more than 1,000 yards six times, a remarkable achievement considering just four Packers backs in the 26 years before Green's arrival surpassed the 1,000-yard mark. reen has been so good for so long that he amassed 8,162 career rushing yards, just 45 yards shy of Jim Taylor's team record. He accumulated more yards from scrimmage (10,870) than any player in Packers history. What's not to like about Green? No one could question his superior work ethic. He wasn't flashy and didn't call attention to himself. Over-the-top touchdown celebrations weren't part of his repertoire. He went about his job humbly and consistently. While some players would have complained about living in the shadow of quarterback Brett Favre, Green didn't seem to mind. He never threw a tantrum over not getting the ball enough. As an added bonus, Green never complained about his contract and never threatened to hold out. Fans surely could appreciate that after enduring messy public squabbles involving the Packers and malcontents Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker. In an era when pro athletes shamelessly prop themselves up and make contract demands in public, Green was a throwback. So, what did that team spirit do for Green? It earned him a hefty four-year, $23 million contract, but he was forced to shop the NFL's unrestricted free-agent market to find it. It doesn't seem right that after all Green did for the Packers, the team wasn't willing to give him his due. The Packers will argue the NFL is a business, and the Texans simply put a higher value on Green than they were willing to pay. It became apparent the Packers were leery of shelling out big bucks to a player who just turned 30, an age when many running backs hit the wall. But Green proved he was no ordinary back. He overcame a potential career-ending ruptured quadriceps tendon injury in 2005 and gained 1,059 yards last season. He remained a valuable asset to the offense with his pass-catching ability. He didn't look like a player in decline. Even his reputation as a fumbler was more fiction than fact. Green had fewer career fumbles per touch than Taylor, whom many regarded as sure-handed. For some reason, Green's skills were taken for granted, if not by the team, then certainly by many fans. As free agency approached, the possibility of the Packers losing Green never generated an outcry. Now that Green is gone, the Packers will find out how valuable he was. The prospect of leaving the backfield in the hands of some untested rookie draft pick, a mediocre free-agent pickup or holdover Vernand Morency is unsettling. The Packers had the money and should have been willing to pay a premium to keep Green, who will be sorely missed.

CONTRASTING COLUMNS:

1. Mike Woods column: Green moves on, and both sides win
2. Packers need a back after Green signs with Texans
3. Mike Vandermause column: Packers are going to miss Green

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PACK GET WHOM TO REPLACE RB GREEN?

Man i sure hope we dont waste a first rounder on a running back. I mean, Bush will probably go 2nd round. I'd like to see us trade out of the first round. There is so much depth and we need to fill a bunch of holes. I think we can get equal value in running backs till the middle of the second round. I'd like to see us have 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Get Jamal Lewis, good tight end & Randy Moss in free agency. For the draft, would be nice to get a running back, receiver, a few more offensive lineman.

If we keep the first rounder, i'd like to see Dwayne Jarret on the packers. I know there has been some speculation about his 40 yard dash time but he looks like he plays faster than his 40 time, plus he is tall and big and he has been in a pro style offense. I think he can contribute right away especially if K-Rob has another setback. Moss, Driver, Jennings, Jarret & K-Rob. Our receiving corps would be the backbone of our team for a long time. 3 years down the line when Driver & hopefully Moss leave the team, Jennings & Jarrret will be polished studs.

I like this line of thinking. If the first rounders don't have the range, trade down and get more picks. How to fill Ahman's role will be interesting. I'm glad he wasn't our only ball carrier last year.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKER WATCH: FYI

ON THE SIDELINES by JA

"As Packers fans sit frustrated by losing Ahman Green and not landing Travis Henry I was told that the Packers are working on a few things that would improve the running game. Willis McGahee's name came up a few times, as did Chris Henry and Cory Dillion, but was interesting to me was the possibility to move up in round 1 to get the RB they want. The Packers will release William Henderson and put the full court press on Justin Griffith from what I was told. Don't be surprised if they make Griffith the highest paid FB in the NFL. The Packers are currently trying to set up a visit with Randy McMichael, Chris Brown and Deon Grant. I was told Green Bay is extremely interested in Buffalo RB Willis McGahee, but so are Oakland and Cleveland....[T]hey REALLY like the WR class in this draft and if they can upgrade RB position via trade, possibly McGahee[/b], they won't deal for Moss. Look for the Packers, Falcons, and Jags to have Joe Horn in for a visit. The Falcons and Packers have the inside track on Horn...."

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UPDATE

F/AS RBS: HENRY SIGNED WITH DENVER. TODAY, GRIFFITH VISITS PACK.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKER UPDATE: REV. TOP F/AS RBS LISTING

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/

...[W]ith Ahman Green now a Texan,...GM Ted Thompson will have to locate a suitable replacement for the second-leading rusher in franchise history....While holdover Vernand Morency is a possibility, the eventual starter will more than likely come from either free agency or the draft. And since the draft is still...away,...a former scout [focused] on the available unrestricted free agents....[H]is top five backs...:

1) Chris Brown (Titans) –
2) Corey Dillon (Patriots)
3) Jamal Lewis (Ravens) [unlikely]
4) Dominic Rhodes (Colts)
5) Correll Buckhalter (Eagles)

:twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKER NATION: REPLACING RB GREEN?

Fans, so far, good start on sample for Pack nation.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency, PJ Pope and Herron are on the roster, IMHO a rb will not be drafted, maybe a veteran will be brought in, but probably a couple of undrafted FA will be given a chance to make the team.

TT has shown he wants young guys to step up and become starters, I really think The Packers will go heavy on the defensive side in the draft in 2007, adding depth to what is becoming their strong point.

Again IMHO the future RB for The Packers is sitting up in Ann Arbor Michigan, Mike Hart is the perfect guy for the system GB is running, watch and see if we don't stay pat this year at RB and make a big push next year to draft Hart.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
COMPARATIVE POLL RESULTS:

Which combo would you prefer?

FA Travis Henry & Michael Bush Rd 2 48%
Willis McGahee (trade for) & Brandon Jackson Rd 3 16%
FA Corey Dillon & Marshawn Lynch Rd 1 26%
Thomas Jones (trade for) & Antonio Pittman Rd 2 8%

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2...tedURL=http://packers.scout.com/2/625065.html

Thanks for the memories, Ahman

PackerReport.com’s Matt Tevsh provides one final view, in the second person, of former Green Bay Packers running back Ahman Green.

TOP HAT: I agree, remarkable run...sadly short of Jim Taylor's record. Those days are long gone, especially the traditional values getting only lip service now...wanna bes.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morency, PJ Pope and Herron are on the roster, IMHO a rb will not be drafted, maybe a veteran will be brought in, but probably a couple of undrafted FA will be given a chance to make the team.

TT has shown he wants young guys to step up and become starters, I really think The Packers will go heavy on the defensive side in the draft in 2007, adding depth to what is becoming their strong point.

Again IMHO the future RB for The Packers is sitting up in Ann Arbor Michigan, Mike Hart is the perfect guy for the system GB is running, watch and see if we don't stay pat this year at RB and make a big push next year to draft Hart.

Some fans say Pittman.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
REPLACING RB GREEN

http://packers.scout.com/

C'mon, Ted! Pull the trigger
'
Packers can improve this off-season by trading for difference-makers such as Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss or San Diego running back Michael Turner.

packers.aolsportsblog.com/

Packers May Solve Running Back Conundrum From Within by DB

Most Packers fans have been anxiously awaiting the day when a starting running back has been signed or traded for to replace the departed Ahman Green. I would advise those fans to stop holding their breath because that day may never come. There is a very good chance that the Packers will solve their running back woes from within. What many people forget is that Green Bay has Vernand Morency; a player quite capable of carrying the load. He's seen limited time in his first two NFL seasons but has managed to gain 618 rushing yards while averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

Not bad for a very raw talent who has already been bounced around between Houston and Green Bay. Packers Coach Mike McCarthy agrees: "I think Morency had an excellent season for not being here for any of the camps and so forth. I thought he did really a good job learning our scheme, and was productive when he was given an opportunity," said McCarthy. A less likely possibility would be Noah Herron, who has also impressed a bit in limited duty. Either way, the Packers do not need to go crazy trying to find an Ahman Green replacement. The cheapest and possibly most effective solutions are within their very own organization.

Members online

Latest posts