PACKER NATION: REPLACING RB GREEN/FANS COMMENTARIES

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am speechless, but one could see it coming with the Texans considering who is on the coaching staff. Anyway, one of our offseason needs is RB.

However the Pack fans must look forward, although they will be stunned and upset till better news. Thus, who will the Pack choose to replace RB Green in the running game plan, with many combinations:

1. Morency and Marshawn Lynch (Draft in Rd 1)
2. Corey Dillon F/A
3. Dillon and Lynch
4. Veteran RB (trade) & Lynch
5. Veteran RB (trade) & Pittman (Draft in Rd. ?)
6. Chris Henry F/A & Michael Bush (Draft in Rd. ?)
7. Jamal Lewis F/A & Lorenzo Booker (Draft in Rd. ?)
8. Willis McGahee (trade for) & Brandon Jackson (Draft in Rd. ?)
9. Other: Combination/Comments

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACK GET WHOM TO REPLACE RB GREEN?

Try and sign Travis Henry and draft Marshawn Lynch if he's there. If Lynch isn't on the board at #16 then look at Michael Bush and Brian Leonard in the 2nd round or move down and take Bush in late round 1.

Something like this then...

Lynch/Henry
Bush/Henry
Leonard/Henry

On a side note: Why is everyone so shocked that Green is gone? I thought it was pretty expected that he'd test free agency and they're always a few teams willing to overpay.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: PACK GET WHOM TO REPLACE RB GREEN?

For me its
1. Travis Henry F/A & Michael Bush (Draft in Rd. ?)
2. Corey Dillon F/A
3. Dillon and Lynch
4. Jamal Lewis F/A & Lorenzo Booker (Draft in Rd. ?)
5. Morency and Marshawn Lynch (Draft in Rd 1)
6. Willis McGahee (trade for) & Brandon Jackson (Draft in Rd. ?)
7. Veteran RB (trade) & Pittman (Draft in Rd. ?)
8. Veteran RB (trade) & Lynch
9. Other: Combination/Comments

I would love to have Travis Henry and to make things better get Michael Bush in the early 2nd round. Both have great strength and pretty good speed.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On a side note: Why is everyone so shocked that Green is gone? I thought it was pretty expected that he'd test free agency and they're always a few teams willing to overpay.

I don't think this was a huge surprise, and I'm not sure if many other fans do either. But it's always shocking when a player who was such a big part of the team is suddenly gone.

tymeblind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm happy to jump on the Henry - Lynch - Morency bandwagon...

that said -- what is a serious and fair offer for Henry?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm advocating a Travis Henry/2nd round pick combo, but who the hell knows.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If "All Day" & Lynch are gone at 16 the I'd take Bush in the second round and Jarret w/the first pick

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I SAY RICKY WILLIAMS TIME BABY!!!!!

Lets trade a 5th rounder for him!!!!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ON THE SIDELINES BY J.A. F/As RBS

"....The Packers are also trying to set a date to visit with Justin Griffith, Chris Brown, Cory Dillion, and Deon Grant....The Packers are trying to get a date to host Travis Hanry, but he is in Oakland today and the Raiders may try to have a deal done before he leaves....Willis McGahee may be an option for the Packers, again, if the Moss trade doesn't happen...."

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT is very busy looking for a street FA that he can sign for the Minimum wage to become the next Ahman...Problem is he has spent two years looking for the next Wahle, the next Marco, the next Sharper, and one year looking for the next Javon and he got nothing, no hidden diamonds...

Sometimes it really seems that TT is more worried to find a hiden diamond and be respected like the new Ron Wolf than compromised in getting a wining team on the field.

Now this time I would have loved to keep Ahman but I cant blame TT for not paying what Houston paid..... I really hope TT has a plan here !!!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Travis Henry F/A & Michael Bush

I loved Ahman to, but to pay that kind of money like the Texans did, glad we let him go. Hopefully we get a good RB in free agency or the draft.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I SAY RICKY WILLIAMS TIME BABY!!!!!

Lets trade a 5th rounder for him!!!!
I sure hope you arn't being serious.
That guy cares more about weed then......well, then ANYTHING.

Reaction score

As for Morency being the #1 back, TT had this to say:

“I couldn’t tell you that,” Thompson said of whether Morency can be a primary back for a full season. “I think he was kind of like that in college. He’s never had that opportunity in the pros.”

ARTICLE.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREEN BIDDING WAR

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/PKR01/70305175/1989

..."In the meantime, even in a year when teams are flush with salary-cap money, Green’s contract with Houston was surprisingly high for a 30-year-old halfback a season removed from major thigh surgery. According to a source with access to NFLPA salary figures, Green received a $5 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million roster bonus and a $1.5 million base salary for this season. That’s $8 million in the first year. Next year, he’ll receive a $500,000 roster bonus, a $200,000 workout bonus and a $3.8 million salary, for a total of $4.5 million in 2008 pay. That means the first two years of the deal are worth $12.5 million, and unless something unusual happens, it appears likely Green’s $5 million salary guarantees him two seasons with the Texans. In 2009, he’s scheduled to make $5.5 million in salary and bonuses, and in 2010 he’ll make $5 million total. The Packers stayed in negotiations with Green until the end and increased their offer, apparently to more than $5 million the first year and $9 million the first two. Ultimately, the Texans offered substantially more than Thompson was willing to pay...."

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: GREEN BIDDING WAR

“I think he was kind of like that in college."

I see Ted works hard at scouting

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ON THE LIGHTER SIDE: FANS, YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT!

http://pu2006.typepad.com/packerupdate/

TT takes things slow in free agency

"...Green Bay...not to have scheduled a single visit so far in free agency. While frustrating to fans, it shouldn’t be at all surprising. That’s simply the way GM Ted Thompson operates. “He’ll wait for the initial wave to pass and then he’ll start bringing people in,” said a person familiar with the situation. “In fact, look for a free agent or two to arrive in Green Bay by the latter part of next week.” Before bringing in players from other teams, the Packers would like to settle things with their own key free agent. Veteran running back Ahman Green....“Thompson is watching what happens with the Texans very closely,” said the source. "That’s the team most likely to make a serious offer. So if Green doesn’t get what he's looking for from Houston, I would expect him to eventually re-sign with the Packers. Either way, I really don’t see this situation dragging on for too long.” Green Bay's other unrestricted free agents are tight end David Martin....Thompson has a strong desire to bring [Martin] back."

:rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man i sure hope we dont waste a first rounder on a running back. I mean, Bush will probably go 2nd round. I'd like to see us trade out of the first round. There is so much depth and we need to fill a bunch of holes. I think we can get equal value in running backs till the middle of the second round. I'd like to see us have 5 or 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Get Jamal Lewis, good tight end & Randy Moss in free agency. For the draft, would be nice to get a running back, receiver, a few more offensive lineman.

If we keep the first rounder, i'd like to see Dwayne Jarret on the packers. I know there has been some speculation about his 40 yard dash time but he looks like he plays faster than his 40 time, plus he is tall and big and he has been in a pro style offense. I think he can contribute right away especially if K-Rob has another setback. Moss, Driver, Jennings, Jarret & K-Rob. Our receiving corps would be the backbone of our team for a long time. 3 years down the line when Driver & hopefully Moss leave the team, Jennings & Jarrret will be polished studs.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
END OF AN ERA: Green, Henderson,....

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=624294

Fullback's 12-year stay coming to an end

The Green Bay Packers lost one of their veterans of the offensive backfield Monday when Ahman Green signed a multi-year contract with the Houston Texans. As soon as today, the Packers will be parting ways with veteran fullback William Henderson, according to a Green Bay television station. Henderson told WBAY-TV Monday that the Packers plan to release him from the two-year, $2 million contract that he signed nearly a year ago. Henderson, who counted $1.165 million against the team's salary cap in 2006, is scheduled to earn the veteran's minimum this season. Henderson finished his 12th season with the Packers. He was replaced in the starting lineup by a younger, more effective blocker in Brandon Miree early in the season. Still, Henderson served as a valuable blocker on special teams and a player that others looked up to in the locker room. Henderson missed just four games in his career, and is third all-time in games played for the Packers. Henderson expressed his gratitude toward the Packers and fans in a statement that he released to WBAY: "It was an honor to be associated with the Packers," he said. "It is humbling to leave such a great organization, but I will always be grateful for my time in Green Bay." Henderson's departure means Brett Favre is the last holdover from the Super Bowl XXXI championship team.