Pack to interview Russ Grimm?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to John Clayton of ESPN, the Packers plan to interview Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm over the weekend, as a possible head coach. Supposedly the Lions are also interested in him. What I don't understand is how they can interview him over the weekend when his team is still in the playoffs. Anyway, here is some info about Grimm from the Steelers team page. Nice O-line credentials, but I would probably rather have a guy with experience as a coordinator:

Russ Grimm is in his fourth season as the Steelers offensive line coach. He was given the additional title of Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach in January 2004.

Grimm, 44, joined the Steelers Jan. 10, 2000 as only the second offensive line coach in Bill Cowher’s 10 seasons and was instrumental in developing one of the most-improved areas on the team in 2001. Grimm spent the previous 19 years as a player and a coach with the Washington Redskins.

Grimm has molded an offensive front that is considered one of the best in the NFL. Among the group are guard Alan Faneca, who earned All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors for a second consecutive season in 2002, and center Jeff Hartings, who developed in one of the best in the NFL after just two seasoons there. Grimm also has tutored three-year offensive tackle Marvel Smith, who blossomed into a consistent tackle, guard Kendall Simmons, who had an outstanding rookie season in 2002—earning a starting role at right guard in Week 2—and has helped developed reserve linemen tackles Oliver Ross and Mathias Nkwenti, guard Keydrick Vincent, and center Chukky Okobi.

A native of Scottdale, Pa. and a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh, Grimm coached the Redskins' offensive line from 1997-2000. He is credited with the development of Washington tackles Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, who each earned starting spots as rookies on the Redskins' offensive line. Prior to coaching the offensive line, Grimm spent five seasons (1992-96) as Washington's tight ends coach.

Grimm started 11 seasons at guard for the Redskins (1981-91) and helped lead the team to four Super Bowl appearances and three victories. He was voted to four consecutive Pro Bowls (1983-86) and was a first-team selection to the 1980s all-decade team.

An All-American center at Pitt, Grimm was selected by the Redskins in the third-round of the 1981 NFL Draft. His younger brother, Donn, was a starting linebacker on Notre Dame's 1988 national championship team.

Born May 2, 1959, Grimm has been inducted into the Western Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame. He has four children, Chad (5/18/85), Cody (2/26/87), and fraternal twins Devin and Dylan (4/3/90).

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I heard they were interviewing the Brother's Grimm...

(i'll check my sources on this though....)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg, I believe the NFL got rid of that rule where you have to wait until the team is knocked out of the playoffs before you can interview assistants. Teams couldn't wait and it was hurting some good coaches' chances.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can only interview those coaches who are on a bye week. If they are preparing for a game that week, they are off-limits for interviews.

Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I heard they were interviewing the Brother's Grimm...

(i'll check my sources on this though....)

FINALLY ONE GOOD JOKE! :eek: .... You aren't a bad poster once you get over your SherRossley obsession.!

I think Russ might be a bit of a reach. Maybe as an O-cordinator. Otherwise, he is too green.

Members online

Latest posts