Pack should have been in the position of the Eagles with QBs

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet Brohm has started a game in the NFL and Flynn has not. Brohm has thrown more passes then Flynn, and has a higher completion percentage and better rating. I think the Packers cut him to soon. But, hey, they really needed all those FB's. on the roster. In reality, only time will tell.

Brohm has done that ONLY because he has had the oppurtunity. If he was the better QB Green Bay wouldn't have put him out there to risk losing for nothing. They had a 1st day draft pick invested so he must have looked pretty bad for them to take that risk. ALso, Brohm was terrible in that one start so him having the better of bad stats means little or nothign to me. He has had more oppurtunity and he was still terrible.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet Brohm has started a game in the NFL and Flynn has not. Brohm has thrown more passes then Flynn, and has a higher completion percentage and better rating. I think the Packers cut him to soon. But, hey, they really needed all those FB's. on the roster. In reality, only time will tell.
Yes, because of the Bills QB situation and the Packers' QB situation.

You forgot to mention that Brohm was beaten 2 TIMES by Flynn as the 2nd string QB.

And if there's something that MM knows, is QB. Just ask Aaron Rodgers.

People look at Rodgers now and think that he was allways this good. But Rodgers' release was slow as hell, he came in as a Junior, and from the dreadful Jeff Tedford system...

I don't know why Brohm failed, but for a 1st pick to be beaten twice by a 7th rounder... It's a bust. Every time he took the field, he looked poorer than Flynn.

If MM gave up on him, it's because he's no use...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why Brohm failed, but for a 1st pick to be beaten twice by a 7th rounder... It's a bust. Every time he took the field, he looked poorer than Flynn.

If MM gave up on him, it's because he's no use...

Not sure if Brohm had a problem reading defenses or what it was. I didn't think Brohm did alot worse than Flynn. Maybe Brohm couldn't take constructive criticism? I mean when you try to teach a young guy something......and he gets an attitude about it......its like OK......you are outta here? I'm not saying that is what it was...but I think there was something more to it the general public knows. I mean drafting a guy in the 2nd round.......and basically kicking him to the curb in just a short period of time like that. Makes ya kind of go.........hmmmmm????

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if Brohm had a problem reading defenses or what it was. I didn't think Brohm did alot worse than Flynn. Maybe Brohm couldn't take constructive criticism? I mean when you try to teach a young guy something......and he gets an attitude about it......its like OK......you are outta here? I'm not saying that is what it was...but I think there was something more to it the general public knows. I mean drafting a guy in the 2nd round.......and basically kicking him to the curb in just a short period of time like that. Makes ya kind of go.........hmmmmm????

Brohm failed for the same reason other highly rated QBs fail and really no different than why Barbre is failing on the O-line. All these guys have the athletic gifts of size, speed, and strength that make them promising prospects that performed well at the college level.

In the NFL everything is faster, it comes down to hand-eye coordination. The game moves faster than Brohm's ability for his mind to adjust to make his body do what he wants it to do. I not talking smarts here, but the hand-eye coordination. Brohm has probably more athleticism than Tom Brady, but Tom's mind can process things faster so he can use what little he has at 100%, where as Brohm is a day late and a dollar short.

Thats what the NFL combine can not show, but film can. Yet the film is at the speed of College, which is why picking players is so hard and why Tom Brady was drafted in the 5th round. Tom Brady's athleticism limited him what he could do in college, n, but his true gift is his hand-eye coordination that makes him so successful.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm failed for the same reason other highly rated QBs fail and really no different than why Barbre is failing on the O-line. All these guys have the athletic gifts of size, speed, and strength that make them promising prospects that performed well at the college level.

In the NFL everything is faster, it comes down to hand-eye coordination. The game moves faster than Brohm's ability for his mind to adjust to make his body do what he wants it to do. I not talking smarts here, but the hand-eye coordination. Brohm has probably more athleticism than Tom Brady, but Tom's mind can process things faster so he can use what little he has at 100%, where as Brohm is a day late and a dollar short.

Thats what the NFL combine can not show, but film can. Yet the film is at the speed of College, which is why picking players is so hard and why Tom Brady was drafted in the 5th round. Tom Brady's athleticism limited him what he could do in college, n, but his true gift is his hand-eye coordination that makes him so successful.
The interesting is that Brohm was tought to have great read of defenes, have good understanding of his progressions, and be a safer pick than most QBs. He played in a pro-style offense...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I would Trade Flynn for anything, even a 7th. IF you have watched him progress, there is little to none, He's a scrambler, kind of a jeff garcia, but without the arm, Chad Pennington without the accuracy. We should have held onto brohm if not just for incase down the line he turns into something we could have got value for him, instead we gave him and jamon meredith to the bils for free. Meredith ended up starting some games for the bills. 2 wasted draft picks by TT.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was the biggest opponent towards releasing Jamon Meredith. TT got a steal with him in the 5th round since he had a 2nd round grade on him. Meredith was a solid player back for South Carolina and I'm pretty sure he would've been a solid player with us.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The interesting is that Brohm was tought to have great read of defenes, have good understanding of his progressions, and be a safer pick than most QBs. He played in a pro-style offense...

The pro-style offense was at the speed of the college level, which was at the right level for Brohm to process, taking it up a couple of notches to the NFL and you could see it in Brohm's body language on the field, too fast.

I think we can see this even more clearer with J. Russel of the Raiders. He is a freak of nature with his hand size, arm strength, and body type. He can throw a ball 60 yards on his knees, yet he struggles come game time. Its all about seeing and reacting to it, even if you understand the system completely.

I think Vince Young has this problem as well at times, but can run with the ball to cover up for it. Thats the big question with Tebow, does he have the hand eye coordination for the NFL level, how many times in college did he run the ball because he could not read the defense or react to it? If he has the hand-eye coordination watch out, those mechanical things can be fixed.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if the Packers have an opportunity to pick Tebow in the 3rd round do we try this again? We get a solid backup for a couple of years as he progresses into a trade for a 1st round pick.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I'd rather stick to picking up current needs rather than nursing draft picks for the future. Especially since the QB talent in this draft is horrid in comparison to the prior couple of years.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm failed for the same reason other highly rated QBs fail and really no different than why Barbre is failing on the O-line.

Brohm was drafted in 08....and released in Sept. 09. You can hardly compare a O lineman to a QB. But anyhow.......Brohm had to learn the Packers Offense....(and I am sure the playbook is huge) ........learn to read defenses........learn how each receiver runs his routes.........cause all of them are slightly different in some ways.........and alot of other details. That is alot for a young guy........and sometimes........its like a switch gets flipped and the lightbulb goes on. Everyone is not the same. Rogers did not walk out there right after getting drafted.......and tear up defenses in preseason the first year.......did he??? Its not like I am some Brian Brohm fan......or really defending him. I just think the Packers gave up to early thats all. I mean don't you think we could have gotten a 4th or 5 round draft choice for him?????? Even a 6th rounder..........you know.......to replace Jarrett Bush....! (Just had to say that)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm was drafted in 08....and released in Sept. 09. You can hardly compare a O lineman to a QB. But anyhow.......Brohm had to learn the Packers Offense....(and I am sure the playbook is huge) ........learn to read defenses........learn how each receiver runs his routes.........cause all of them are slightly different in some ways.........and alot of other details. That is alot for a young guy........and sometimes........its like a switch gets flipped and the lightbulb goes on. Everyone is not the same. Rogers did not walk out there right after getting drafted.......and tear up defenses in preseason the first year.......did he??? Its not like I am some Brian Brohm fan......or really defending him. I just think the Packers gave up to early thats all. I mean don't you think we could have gotten a 4th or 5 round draft choice for him?????? Even a 6th rounder..........you know.......to replace Jarrett Bush....! (Just had to say that)
I don't think so.

He cleared waivers, if I'm not mistaken. He was only taken by the Bills after one of their QBs went down. Before that, he was playing in our practice squad...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so.

He cleared waivers, if I'm not mistaken. He was only taken by the Bills after one of their QBs went down. Before that, he was playing in our practice squad...

Agreed. The coaches evaluated him and realized he didnt have what it took. People say we could have traded him, but there was no market for him. He wasnt worth the roster spot to hold on to him and wait for a team desperate for a QB.

I cant imagine anyone on here is more qualified to judge Brohm than the coaches who watched him every day in practice.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The coaches evaluated him and realized he didnt have what it took. People say we could have traded him, but there was no market for him. He wasnt worth the roster spot to hold on to him and wait for a team desperate for a QB.

I cant imagine anyone on here is more qualified to judge Brohm than the coaches who watched him every day in practice.
specially when those coaches are proved QB coaches.

When someone says that an OL should play for another, I listen to. I don't trust our coaches regarding the OL AT ALL.

But QB is another thing. MM is an ex qb coach, and a damn good one. And Clemens is a well-thought QBs coach...

It is possible that they made a mistake with Brohm, but I didn't see anything in him, though I advocated for him to stay on the field.

But in this case I trust their judgment.

Keeping 3 fbs was a mistake, no doubt about that, but releasing Brohm wasn't.

And about Meredith, reports are that he simply didn't have the drive to play in the NFL...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But QB is another thing. MM is an ex qb coach, and a damn good one. And Clemens is a well-thought QBs coach...

To have a so called damn good ex QB coach........and Clemens ...who obviously is well thought of by many.................it seems to me they would have known all those things about Brohm before drafting.......and wasting a pick on him. Its not like they have Joe Blow from 7/11 evaluate guys they are going to draft. That was not a mistake that you just say......oh well......no biggie.........we fkd up.......no problem. Someone needs to be accountable for that mistake. Just like our special teams. He should have been fired at the end of the season.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To have a so called damn good ex QB coach........and Clemens ...who obviously is well thought of by many.................it seems to me they would have known all those things about Brohm before drafting.......and wasting a pick on him. Its not like they have Joe Blow from 7/11 evaluate guys they are going to draft. That was not a mistake that you just say......oh well......no biggie.........we fkd up.......no problem. Someone needs to be accountable for that mistake. Just like our special teams. He should have been fired at the end of the season.
TT works with regional scouts. But sometimes he does the dirty work.

Don't know who's responsible in this isntance, but I don't think any of the coaches have anything to do with the draft...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but I didn't like it then and I still don't like it today. There were bigger needs than back up QB at the time. I think Thompson did a horrible job in that draft. He used our first two picks on luxuary positions when there was a player sitting there that could have been a day one starter.

Huh??? At the time of that draft the only QB on the roster was Rodgers, if memory serves. To say a backup QB was a luxury and not a need back then is silly talk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh??? At the time of that draft the only QB on the roster was Rodgers, if memory serves. To say a backup QB was a luxury and not a need back then is silly talk.

Agreed.

The Brohm pick was hailed as a great pick by every draft guru. It was the pick of the draft according to a few. You cant fault TT for that pick just like you cant fault him for drafting AJ Hawk (I am only half kidding).

If you look at the draft selections its kind of interesting to see Ray Rice drafted one spot ahead of Brohm while Chad Henne was drafted one spot after.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

The Brohm pick was hailed as a great pick by every draft guru. It was the pick of the draft according to a few. You cant fault TT for that pick just like you cant fault him for drafting AJ Hawk (I am only half kidding).

If you look at the draft selections its kind of interesting to see Ray Rice drafted one spot ahead of Brohm while Chad Henne was drafted one spot after.
It was a mistake. By then it didn't look like it, but it was.

And so was Bellichick picking Chad Jackson and the Giants picking Sinorice Moss ahead of Greg Jennings...

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We'll have to agree to disagree. When teams are looking for a back up QB they usually don't go and spend a first day pick on one unless they are looking to build their franchise around this player at some time. A first day pick is usually a player that can make an immediate impact. Holding for FGs is not what I would consider an immediate impact. I thought it was a terrible pick. There were veteran QBs or later round picks available. IMO the only thing silly was drafting two QBs.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll have to agree to disagree. When teams are looking for a back up QB they usually don't go and spend a first day pick on one unless they are looking to build their franchise around this player at some time. A first day pick is usually a player that can make an immediate impact. Holding for FGs is not what I would consider an immediate impact. I thought it was a terrible pick. There were veteran QBs or later round picks available. IMO the only thing silly was drafting two QBs.

Thank god TT drafted 2 QBs seeing poor Brohm had problems with the speed of the NFL. When Wolf was our GM he drafted QBs even tho he had his QB in #4. If Brohm would have prospered we could have groomed him like we did Brunell and Hasselbeck. Coach Brohm up and then trade either him or Flynn for players and/or picks down the road.

Members online

Latest posts