Pack considering contract extension for Donald Lee

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee looks pretty good this season. I don't think he's going to ask for a huge deal either so resigning him might be a wise move for the team.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I'd like to see out of him yet is that teams fear him in the redzone the way they all use to be aware of Bubba, but I guess if we keep hitting the WR's we havn't needed it as much either

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A little diddy on Lee from Peter Kings MMQB..

j. Speaking of the all-star game no one cares about, If Donald Lee doesn't make the Pro Bowl as one of the three NFC tight ends, the voters -- public, players and coaches -- don't know what they're doing. He's strong, fast and sure-handed.

Lock him up now..

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link

4 years $12mill

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers and tight end Donald Lee agreed a four-year contract extension on Monday that will pay him just under $12 million, a source said.

Lee, 27, is tied with James Jones for second on the team with 29 receptions and Lee is fourth in yards (382).

Lee's current contract, which was set to expire after this season, paid him a total of $1.475 million in base pay the past three years with Green Bay since being picked up from the Miami Dolphins, the team that drafted him out of Mississippi State in the fifth round of the 2003 draft.

Lee has become even more valuable this season with the knee injury sustained by Bubba Franks, who Lee had supplanted as the starter.

"Donald Lee is a young man that has totally bought into the offseason program," coach Mike McCarthy said Monday afternoon. "He's taken every opportunity. He's been very consistent. I can't say enough about him and his production in the first eight games."

Lee's agents, Brian Levy and Cary Fabrikant, could not be reached for immediate comment.

We'll have more information on the deal later in the day.

Great deal

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like a smart play by Green Bay. Very smart play.

Lee has gone to the next level since MM got here. There's no reason to not extend him. Good play. The contract isn't too bad, which is expected by Scrooge McGM

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is great news and an excellent move.. now lock up Williams. :)

I'm not sure they'll lock up Williams. They should but I don't see it coming.

I'm very happy to see Donald Lee signed long term now and for a good price tag too.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Pack93z said:

I'm very happy to see Donald Lee signed long term now and for a good price tag too.

My take on Williams is he is a verstile player along the front.. lock him up and wave a plugger like Cole or Pickett out for trade next offseason to shore up the running game via draft or player..

Jolly is playing at such a high level that he should unseat Pickett in a year or two.. not saying actively shop Pickett... but use it if a sensible trade comes along.

But you are correct, just doesn't seem to be of importance at this moment..

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id be shocked to see us re-seign williams, far too much depth at the position to spend hi-cap dollars here

Pack93z

Reaction score
id be shocked to see us re-seign williams, far too much depth at the position to spend hi-cap dollars here

What is one of the major reasons that we are playing complete games on defense.. yep, the horses up front get enough rotation to keep them fresh. Williams can play any spot along the line.. and plays it well.. not all pro level but is a good rotation player.. it would be wise until we know what we have in Harrell.. or should I say if he can stay healthy.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
isnt it funny how LEe came from Miami and Miami took Martin this year?

And remember how TT was crucified endlessly on here by certain people for letting Martin go? It's kinda funny upon reflection. Ok, nevermind...it's still not. :roll:

Congrats D Lee!!!!

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
isnt it funny how LEe came from Miami and Miami took Martin this year?

I hadn't even thought of that. Unless Martin is finally managing to stay healthy, it looks like the Packers got the better player. I'm glad to hear that this deal got done. Lee should give us some longer-term stability at the TE position.

And to think that in the offseason, I assumed he was the starter purely by default. Even in the preseason, he didn't do a whole lot. But once the regular season began, he really turned it on and exceeded all my expectations.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like that thompson is doing the deals during the season so theres no worries when the season is done if the player will or wont sign

can someone bring me up to date of our free agents after the season

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should resign Corey Williams. He is our only true penetrating DT. Corey Williams provides more to this team than Franks and should get paid as much.

Get rid of Cole.

Jolly
Pickett
Williams
Harrell
Muir

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:

My take on Williams is he is a verstile player along the front.. lock him up and wave a plugger like Cole or Pickett out for trade next offseason to shore up the running game via draft or player..

Jolly is playing at such a high level that he should unseat Pickett in a year or two.. not saying actively shop Pickett... but use it if a sensible trade comes along.

I think Pickett is playing at a Pro Bowl level this season. I wouldn't expect him to be unseated any time soon. All 3 play about the same amount of snaps. It depends on the situation.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
porky88 said:
Pack93z said:

I think Pickett is playing at a Pro Bowl level this season. I wouldn't expect him to be unseated any time soon. All 3 play about the same amount of snaps. It depends on the situation.

Pickett is playing at an extremely high level.....why trade it if its working, we cant turn on our key players

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to keep all the DT's, and I think Thompson would too. The problem is that only a couple of them can get starter's money or the team's salary structure will get thrown out of wack. And Corey Williams may be able to demand starter's money next season. I've also heard from the Green Bay Press Gazette that the coaching staff fears Williams may turn into a Cletidus Hunt type if he gets a big payday.

As for getting rid of Pickett, that just doesn't make any sense at all to me. Players like that don't come along very often. I wouldn't even consider it unless Justin Harrell was playing at a similar level by the end of this season, and that looks extremely unlikely at this point.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well have to wait and see what happens......im gonna be surprised if harrel shows much next year, i think hes a backup at best

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts