Pack considering contract extension for Donald Lee

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a good article about Donald Lee. He definitely sounds like a Packer kind of guy. Also, he's 11th in the league in receptions by TE's, and he is on pace to break Paul Coffman's team record of 56 catches in a season. Signing him to an extension would be a good use of some of that cap space that Thompson has left over. They can still use that money, can't they?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=681978

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
. They can still use that money, can't they?

Unless Ted is planning a remodel of his office... office furniture is pretty expensive stuff :)

Seriously, it would be a good use of some of the cap money, that paired with locking up Williams for a few years.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea, front load his contract with a fat bonus for this year and save the cap space for the following years if that is even possible? I dont know much about cap rules. But if thats possible, hopefully we can use up all our cap space this year on fat bonuses for extensions for the guys we have now while saving the space for next year and the following years.

orbindale65

Cheesehead
Reaction score
be absolutely certain that he is of the character that will not bag it after he gets his money (TT seems to be able to sense this), then pay him. he's one of the fastest TEs in the league. upside bigtime.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
yea, front load his contract with a fat bonus for this year and save the cap space for the following years if that is even possible? I dont know much about cap rules. But if thats possible, hopefully we can use up all our cap space this year on fat bonuses for extensions for the guys we have now while saving the space for next year and the following years.

To my knowledge that is how its done. They add in easy to obtain bonus' to take cap relief off the following year(s) and soak up the current cap so they don't waste it. It's been a practice of Andrew Brandt for awhile.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Franks deserved it, and got it, then took a trip to 'mail it in' land for 2 years...

lets hope whoever gets a bonus steps up like KAMPMAN did.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats just it..........you have NO guarentee that a guy will not skate after he gets the big payday. I would bet that talks are going on.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sign him....he deserves it, i like the stance the packers are using in keeping our players awat from the market, this is how you build for success. reminds me of the colts approach

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think D Lee has been good but I really havn't seen anything exceptional from him. He'll be worth the Money once teams fear him in the red zone

1. He hasn't dropped a pass all season.
2. He is on pace to set a team record for catches in a season.
3. He's fast for a tight end.
4. He took one 62 yards.
5. He's 27 years old and just coming into his prime.
6. He hasn't had many injuries.
7. He's a good guy who doesn't sound likely to dog it if he gets a big contract.

Not a bad list, if you ask me.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I think D Lee has been good but I really havn't seen anything exceptional from him. He'll be worth the Money once teams fear him in the red zone

4. He took one 62 yards.
7. He's a good guy who doesn't sound likely to dog it if he gets a big contract.

I love a good list, and that's a decent list. Someone counter point this list with another list!

LIST!

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

4. He took one 62 yards.

agreed, i cant ague this list

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee deserves a contract, he has played well and it seems brett trusts him, and I have a feeling this will not be #4's last season.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say it's about time a TE steps up for us. Bubba was looking good again.....then the dang injury.
I think he will get his extension.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A major difference between Lee and Bubba is that Lee went undrafted (I think).

Lee has worked his *** off for playing time. We got him off waivers from Miami a couple years ago. He knows our offense. I want him to stay a Packer.

One issue is having two high-priced TE's on the roster. Can we get the ball to both of them enough to justify paying them so much?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
56 receptions isn't all that much though.

Gonzalez and Gates both easily get 70-80+; with Gonzalez even getting 102 one year.

The play where Lee took it 62 yards for a TD wasn't so much him being a playmaker as it was horrible tackling.

Vernon Davis is fast for a TE. Lee has decent speed.

I like Lee and think he is a good player, but he doesn't derserve any more than Franks is making right now. Maybe a $10mill. deal for 4 years?

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree....we cant go crazy and pay the guy top 5 tight end money, hes no witten, no winslow, no gates, and no gonzales.....hes not even bubba...

4 year 10 mil sounds about right

Reaction score
Lee was drafted in the fifth round (in 2002 I think).

I'd say a contract with around 9 million guaranteed and four years in length with total value of 12 million would be decent.

I'm worried that Lee's agents will see the deal Shianco got from the Vikings, and demand much more than that because Lee has done a ton more than Shianco has this year.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Lee is not a top-tier tight end by any means, and I don't think anybody else believes that either. But he should be locked up for whatever he's worth. Bubba may be gone after this year anyway because his contract contains a very high salary number for 2008.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Lee was drafted in the fifth round (in 2002 I think).

I'd say a contract with around 9 million guaranteed and four years in length with total value of 12 million would be decent.

I'm worried that Lee's agents will see the deal Shianco got from the Vikings, and demand much more than that because Lee has done a ton more than Shianco has this year.

if thats the case.....i think we deal without him and move on

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

4. He took one 62 yards.

8. He breaks tackles.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Greg I'm humble enough to say I was wrong.
After todays game I say "SHOW HIM THE MONEY"
I wasn't saying he wasn't good I just hadn't really thought of him as a top teir TE in the leage till today. I think we do need to get him some help though so he doesn't get overworkwed

Members online

Latest posts