Pack and BJ close to1 year deal

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji actually played well at DE in 2012, though he obviously played terrible there last season. As for moving him to NT, unless the guy has completely changed his attitude on the field, that would be a huge mistake. The one year that Raji played NT (2011) he was one of the worst dlinemen in the entire league. Now, that might have been because he was all excited about his terrific playoff run in 2010 and didn't like the sacrifice that playing nose tackle entails and now, after a terrible season in 2013, he's more willing to make that sacrifice. Either way, I have no problem with signing him to a one-year deal, so long as the money is within reason.

Raji played at NT during the 2010 season, where he was a vital part of the Super Bowl team. He played terrible there in 2011 and was moved to DE after that season. If he´s able to duplicate his 2010 play I would be excited to have him a NT.

AZpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a Raji fan......about at wits end with some decisions this team is making. Not giving up yet though. Capers better be on double secret probation this year or else.....lol

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers better be on double secret probation this year or else.....lol
Well, he was on probation in 2012 after that terrible 2011 season. He was on double secret probation in 2013. So I guess that makes him on extra double secret probation in 2014.

I'm fine with signing Raji to a one-year deal. I would prefer a $3M base with appropriate incentives, and hopefully that $4M figure being floated around includes the incentives.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OFFER was for 1 year/$4M is what I saw with no confirmation of a signing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but think back to the exit interviews with the d-line coach tagjovic sp??. He said Raji had a great season and did everything they asked of him. A cheap 1 year deal calls complete bs on those statements. He doesn't need to throw the guy under the bus but to blow sunshine like that to all the fans....kinda lame.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting a little annoyed with these defensive position coaches talking up their guys so highly. Just shut up and do your job and stop blowing so much smoke. If you were loaded with this much ability you wouldn't be this bad.

Joe Whitt used every chance he could to tell the world that Sam Shields is a top 10 NFL corner. Guess what? If you say it, Sam's going to think it, Drew Rosenhaus is going to think it, and suddenly our offers don't look so good anymore.

Stop acting like we have a defense full of All-Pro's, coaches. If we do, you sure aren't doing your jobs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, he was on probation in 2012 after that terrible 2011 season. He was on double secret probation in 2013. So I guess that makes him on extra double secret probation in 2014.

I'm fine with signing Raji to a one-year deal. I would prefer a $3M base with appropriate incentives, and hopefully that $4M figure being floated around includes the incentives.

That would be great as performance-based incentives wouldn´t even count against the cap with Raji.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While the combine was going on Jason Wilde reported that contract talks – which aren’t supposed to happen between UFAs and teams other than their “current” on until March 8 – were more obvious than in the past. They have no doubt gone on “illegally” before but according to Wilde they’re just more out in the open than in the past. That probably explains why Raji apparently considering a one-year deal in the $4M range – his agent has already gauged league interest.

I don’t have a problem with that kind of a deal and I favor putting Raji back at NT. If Capers modifies his scheme so DL can one-gap and attack more we’ll see how much difference that makes to Raji. And if it makes no difference Boyd, a draftee, or UDFA will have a year to gain experience without having to be “the man” at NT. And if Raji doesn’t show more motivation, they can cut him loose next season with no cap consequences.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the main issue I have with this:

Say Raji actually blows up next year and returns to 2010 form. How are you going to put your $8M multi-year offer back out there? You know he's got a questionable work ethic. You know if he breaks the bank he's likely to get satisfied and content. You know the minute he gets frustrated he's going to loaf. So how can you ever commit a long-term deal to the guy? You can't. You gotta go 1 and hope he's looking to break the bank next year and actually perform.

The other thing I don't like is that every year we hear about how we just need more talent on defense, the coaching is fine. Last year it was Brad Jones. Two years before that it was Hawk -- his original contract was 5 years and $33.75M! Now we're going to do the same, albeit on a short-term deal, with Raji, who was arguably our worst player on a bad defense last year. So we continue to commit to the same blah, mediocre core on defense that we've had, and we wonder why our defense never seems to improve from year to year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't help but think back to the exit interviews with the d-line coach tagjovic sp??. He said Raji had a great season and did everything they asked of him. A cheap 1 year deal calls complete bs on those statements. He doesn't need to throw the guy under the bus but to blow sunshine like that to all the fans....kinda lame.
You aren't referencing the 2014 exit interview, are you? I can't find an article on that if you are. Perhaps you’re thinking of this jsonline article from May of 2013: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers31-b9922642z1-209603361.htmlRaji is quoted as saying he wants to get back to the Pro Bowl and dominating the game. The article continues:
That goal began with a meeting. Trgovac, assistant director of pro personnel Tim Terry and Raji all met to discuss where, specifically, Raji needed to improve this season. Trgovac told Raji that 2012 was his best season as a pro. But after analyzing the film, they realized Raji needed to do a better job of shedding blocks. Many times, Raji explained, he'd have a guard "right in the quarterback's lap" or "right in the hole" and couldn't shake him loose. "For some reason I'm not disengaging as well as I have," Raji said. "So that's a big emphasis for me — clearing the blocking and being able to make more plays."
That looks like Trgo initially told Raji he had his best year but after reviewing the film told him he needed to improve in perhaps the most basic fundamental of DL play, shedding blocks.

Unfortunately, that talk didn't turn into production for Raji. While I agree that coaches should be careful about giving ammunition to players' agents, I don't see a problem with what is quoted in that article.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the main issue I have with this:

Say Raji actually blows up next year and returns to 2010 form. How are you going to put your $8M multi-year offer back out there? You know he's got a questionable work ethic. You know if he breaks the bank he's likely to get satisfied and content. You know the minute he gets frustrated he's going to loaf. So how can you ever commit a long-term deal to the guy? You can't. You gotta go 1 and hope he's looking to break the bank next year and actually perform.

The other thing I don't like is that every year we hear about how we just need more talent on defense, the coaching is fine. Last year it was Brad Jones. Two years before that it was Hawk -- his original contract was 5 years and $33.75M! Now we're going to do the same, albeit on a short-term deal, with Raji, who was arguably our worst player on a bad defense last year. So we continue to commit to the same blah, mediocre core on defense that we've had, and we wonder why our defense never seems to improve from year to year.

I completely agree with this point and it's something I had also been thinking about. I don't think I will ever feel comfortable signing him up long term

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You aren't referencing the 2014 exit interview, are you? I can't find an article on that if you are. Perhaps you’re thinking of this jsonline article from May of 2013: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers31-b9922642z1-209603361.htmlRaji is quoted as saying he wants to get back to the Pro Bowl and dominating the game. The article continues: That looks like Trgo initially told Raji he had his best year but after reviewing the film told him he needed to improve in perhaps the most basic fundamental of DL play, shedding blocks.

Unfortunately, that talk didn't turn into production for Raji. While I agree that coaches should be careful about giving ammunition to players' agents, I don't see a problem with what is quoted in that article.

To me, that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in Trgo's performance evaluations. Any dummy who threw back a 6 pack on Sunday afternoons could have told you that Raji's 2012 performance didn't come close to 2010, without the benefit of having to go back and look at their DVR.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported today that Raji was close to a one-year deal, but sources told the Journal Sentinel the deal is not imminent and there are indications Raji may not accept the Packers' offer.

I'm totally fine if this falls apart.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are you going to put your $8M multi-year offer back out there?
You're assuming that the Packers are doing this in order to get another multi-year deal out to Raji. That's a heck of a leap. The Packers could just be signing him to a rental agreement, hoping to get one last good season out of him before other drafted players step up.

So we continue to commit to the same blah, mediocre core on defense that we've had, and we wonder why our defense never seems to improve from year to year.
I think you're looking at one side of the coin here. On the other side of the coin, try to imagine that your Ted Thompson and that you actually recognize that you haven't been as successful on the defensive side of the draft. You've got gaps to deal at various defensive positions, and while it sounds nice to only sign guys to one-year deals not all players are willing to do that. So do you let an average player that you know go into FA and then spin the wheel on a FA (likely paying more) with a 50/50 chance of that player being better, or do you re-sign your known commodity to a contract that is as cap-friendly as you can make it until you draft or find a better player?

You've taken the view that the staff is happy with status quo. I would argue that they are dealing with the reality of trying to find better players, but unwilling to take the FA gamble. We all know that TT is risk adverse, but I don't think we should confuse that with being adverse to improving the positions.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You take the view that the staff is happy with status quo. I would argue that they are dealing with the reality of trying to find better players, but unwilling to take the FA gamble.

Yes....I would agree . This is the problem. We are unwilling to take the FA gamble, but we're more than willing to overpay our own average defensive players. Isn't this a problem to you?

I have no problem with a draft and develop base, but if you're going to SOLELY use draft and develop and not supplement it with free agency basically at ALL, you had better be coming up with a lot more hits than misses in the draft on that side of the ball, and we are not.

We need a safety. We need an ILB. If Shields leaves, we need a corner. We need multiple replacements on the D-line.

We aren't going to find that many instant contributors in one draft. Just not going to happen. We can either use free agency as an additional tool to upgrade our defense this year or we can stick with the status quo and again wind up with around the 25th ranked defense which is exactly what will happen.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is there are very few players of Raji's size and athleticism. I think a cheap deal is worth it so see if he can get make to some of his prior playing ability.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with a draft and develop base, but if you're going to SOLELY use draft and develop and not supplement it with free agency basically at ALL, you had better be coming up with a lot more hits than misses in the draft on that side of the ball, and we are not.
Understood, and this is where I think that we all are at. TT is MOSTLY a draft & develop guy - saying solely is disingenuous. You said that TT is wondering why his defense isn't improving. I think that's either naive or intentionally misleading, because as you stated he primarily fields players through the draft. Therefore re-signing current players is then really the only option he has left available to himself until he drafts better players. You're twisting an argument to justify your anger at his methodology. We get it. TT is draft & develop, but he isn't resigned to having a bad defense. That's foolish talk.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understood, and this is where I think that we all are at. TT is MOSTLY a draft & develop guy - saying solely is disingenuous. You said that TT is wondering why his defense isn't improving. I think that's either naive or intentionally misleading, because as you stated he primarily fields players through the draft. Therefore re-signing current players is then really the only option he has left available to himself until he drafts better players. You're twisting an argument to justify your anger at his methodology. We get it. TT is draft & develop, but he isn't resigned to having a bad defense. That's foolish talk.

Agreed. Draft and develop also requires patience with players, including re-signing guys who TT thinks could get better.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't stress over a long term deal should he perform well this season. Not hard to structure in what amounts to a multi year deal but is easy to get out of without a big cap hit.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When I say solely, I think it's pretty obvious that I don't intend to imply that he has never signed a free agent in his career. I imply that his use of free agency is virtually nil on a year to year basis where his last true outside FA signing of significance was 8 years ago. That's as close to "solely" as you can really get.

Saying that re-signing current players is the only option he has left until he drafts better players makes no sense to me and is a little silly. Are you saying he really has no choice but to overpay and hang onto his own average players because he has to fill roster spots? No, he has another option, that was the point of this.. I'm sure if he could "draft better players" in hindsight, he would. But he hasn't and now we have gaping holes to fill. And we're not going to get better by trying to pass off players like MD Jennings as starting caliber talent.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, if you re-read what I wrote it's that he's put himself into that box of rarely using FA. It's a three-legged stool: 1) Draft 2) Free Agency 3) Player Retention. Those are your only three tools as a GM. He mostly stayed away from FA so you are only left with the other two tools. You characterized that as settling for mediocrity. While most here agree, including myself, that more use of FA could lead to better results - that's not how TT is doing it. He's not settling, he's just not using all of his tools, for reasons that should/could be debated on a separate thread.

All of this is to say that re-signing Raji for a short deal is one of his few remaining options if he doesn't like any of his choices in the FA market and will continue to look for better players in the draft. He could of course force Capers to start the rookie that he takes this season, but I doubt that's a position any of us would advocate.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts