Pack and BJ close to1 year deal

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/article/...analysis-Re-signing-Raji-should-No-1-priority

*facepalm*

I need to talk to Raji because how many people he's managed to fool is quite impressive. I want to get that gig with my employer where I can be lazy and contribute absolutely nothing towards their goals and yet have people say about me, "They need to pay that man, he does so much behind the scenes stuff that no one can really see."

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I too can't believe all the hype that Raji is getting....... maybe it was his breif acting stint in the dicount double check commercials that these other teams a remembering.... Just this morning i heard on XM radio mad dog sports that the ATL falcons have shown good interest in BJ Raji.....why? wtf? Maybe so they can have a young lazy guy to go with their old lazy guy, S. Jackson. ??

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too can't believe all the hype that Raji is getting....... maybe it was his breif acting stint in the dicount double check commercials that these other teams a remembering.... Just this morning i heard on XM radio mad dog sports that the ATL falcons have shown good interest in BJ Raji.....why? wtf? Maybe so they can have a young lazy guy to go with their old lazy guy, S. Jackson. ??

I'm not going to take anything away from his Super Bowl season when he had BY FAR his best season and without his INT in the NFC Champ game I'm not sure we win that game. He has completely fallen off the face of the earth though, and he doesn't deserve an $8 million dollar per year deal. I think a glaring problem with him is he was in a contract year in 2013 after reportedly turning down this deal, and he went out and $#!t the bed for lack of a better term. That, to me, throws up serious red flags about his heart and will to be great regardless of how he was used. Figure out how to be a difference maker, adapt to your situation, if that was the issue, and go out and make plays. He did none of these things, and hasn't done them since 2010.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think he got lazy and complacent. I think he thinks he's better than he is and that he could skate by into free agency on his reputation alone and hide his stats behind a scheme.

I think he's going to realize how sorely mistaken he was in a few weeks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly think he got lazy and complacent. I think he thinks he's better than he is and that he could skate by into free agency on his reputation alone and hide his stats behind a scheme.

I think he's going to realize how sorely mistaken he was in a few weeks.

I think some team will highly overpay for him.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I hope he gets little to no interest from any big name teams and ends up going to the browns or jags for very little of what he turned down in GB. Greed is an ugly monster and I hope it comes back to bite him on his fat ***

D

Deleted member 6794

To the tune of $8M a year and $20M+ guaranteed? I'd be shocked.

Probably not as much as that, but I expect at least one team to overpay for him. Not sure that it takes a lot of money though for me to think he would be overpaid.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he gets little to no interest from any big name teams and ends up going to the browns or jags for very little of what he turned down in GB. Greed is an ugly monster and I hope it comes back to bite him on his fat ***

At one point I thought him and Clay were the cornerstones of this defense. When someone turns down $8 million per season, which based on his career numbers, was too much anyways and then goes out and has a season like he had says alot about his character IMO.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Based on his downward spiral of performance or lack there of since 2010, paying him $20 bucks and a bucket of KFC and a case of Miller lite would be "overpaid" in my eyes.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Raji's only motivation was money, he made an extremely foolish decision to turn down our offer last year.

It's hard to criticize a player's decision to accept or reject a contract offer in hindsight, but for Raji it's not. Raji was reportedly offered $8M a year with around $20M guaranteed. This would have put him close to the top 5 of the highest paid defensive tackles in the NFL.

It was a fair, even absurd, offer, given that it paid more based on what we BELIEVE Raji can do rather than what he actually has done lately. Had Raji put together a Pro Bowl year, our offer would still likely have not climbed much from that already high amount. Therefore he had very little to gain, and a lot to lose -- as he'll find out.

D Frank

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 3-4 NT primary job is not to get sacks. It is to stop the run and to eat up blocks and take on two offensive lineman.. Save the sacks for the LB and DE.. He did well in those two areas.. Raji isn't the problem. It's the lack of production from the safety position and the OLB opposite Matthews

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 3-4 NT primary job is not to get sacks. It is to stop the run and to eat up blocks and take on two offensive lineman.. Save the sacks for the LB and DE.. He did well in those two areas.. Raji isn't the problem. It's the lack of production from the safety position and the OLB opposite Matthews

I agree that to judge Raji's performance by using sack production statistics is a demonstration of ignorance in the defense.

Where I disagree, is Raji's success at collapsing the pocket and taking up blockers. I saw way too many plays where he was swept away by a single blocker. I think if we bring him back, its for a single season at a contract substantially south of the previous $8M offer to give him an opportunity to prove himself again.

D Frank

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U Kant win them all, and judging by the amount of money they offered him, he must be a good 3-4 NT.. Ted Thompson knows more about Raji than we do.. The heart of a 3-4 defense is the NT and the OLB... Him being offered 8 mil means that he's a very valuable player.. There's only a handful of packers players that earn more than 8 mil annually.. The goal is to keep ur best players.. Not let them go.. Him getting the offer suggests that he is one of the better 3-4 NT's in the nfl..

D

Deleted member 6794

U Kant win them all, and judging by the amount of money they offered him, he must be a good 3-4 NT.. Ted Thompson knows more about Raji than we do.. The heart of a 3-4 defense is the NT and the OLB... Him being offered 8 mil means that he's a very valuable player.. There's only a handful of packers players that earn more than 8 mil annually.. The goal is to keep ur best players.. Not let them go.. Him getting the offer suggests that he is one of the better 3-4 NT's in the nfl..

I agree that sacks aren´t a good indicator to judge a NT in a 3-4 defense. Don´t know what that has to do with Raji though as he didn´t play NT last season. As Amish pointed out correctly he wasn´t able to get off blockers or collapse the pocket at all. In addition he wasn´t part of the DL on obvious passing downs because he was able to get any pressure. Just because he got offered a huge contract doesn´t mean he´s one of the best DLs in the league, thankfully he didn´t accept it as we would have been stuck with another bad contract (Morgan Burnett isn´t one of the best safeties in the league just because he´s paid like one).

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that sacks aren´t a good indicator to judge a NT in a 3-4 defense. Don´t know what that has to do with Raji though as he didn´t play NT last season. As Amish pointed out correctly he wasn´t able to get off blockers or collapse the pocket at all. In addition he wasn´t part of the DL on obvious passing downs because he was able to get any pressure. Just because he got offered a huge contract doesn´t mean he´s one of the best DLs in the league, thankfully he didn´t accept it as we would have been stuck with another bad contract (Morgan Burnett isn´t one of the best safeties in the league just because he´s paid like one).

I agree with this but to not have one in what 39 games?? I mean something isn't right. I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of what he was asked to do or should be doing in this defense but a simple eye test can tell you he isn't worth $8 million per year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And the Packers rescinding that offer suggests that they no longer think he is worthy of that kind of money.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Future Pittsburgh Steeler . They have leaders like Tomlin who can get the most out of him. I don't see that here in Green Bay which is probably why his play dropped off. No leaders on the defense and MM seems like he has no input on anything outside of the offense. I don't mind seeing Raji leave but wouldn't be shocked if he had a good season next yr somewhere else either.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U Kant win them all, and judging by the amount of money they offered him, he must be a good 3-4 NT..

Then Brad Jones must also be a good ILB, and Morgan Burnett must have been a good safety last year...Also, he hasn't been playing NT. He's been playing end. He hasn't played NT regularly since 2011.

Ted Thompson knows more about Raji than we do..

Yes, true...and I trust, and certainly hope, that he'll make the right decision.

The heart of a 3-4 defense is the NT and the OLB...

This isn't true so much as it used to be. Even though we're a "3-4" base, we're more often in nickel and dime packages.

Him being offered 8 mil means that he's a very valuable player..

That's a very dangerous assumption to make. Albert Haynesworth was offered well over $8M a season, among many other players who never lived up to it. GM's do make mistakes from time to time, even the best ones.

The goal is to keep ur best players.. Not let them go..

No, the goal is to win the Super Bowl by putting together a winning team as efficiently as possible, not overpay role players based on name recognition.. If Raji is one of our "best" players, why was the run defense so awful last year?

Him getting the offer suggests that he is one of the better 3-4 NT's in the nfl..

No, it doesn't. The stats don't back that up, the eye test doesn't back it up, and even scouts and former GM's alike are saying Raji is "just a guy" which the Packers seem to have finally understood. Also, again, Raji plays mostly DE. The fact that you seem to be unaware of this is a pretty good indication that you didn't pay much attention to how awful he really was last season, no offense.

It indicates that you're probably someone who has always liked Raji, feels inclined to defend him, and trusts the old mainstream reputations on him and assume they all still hold true, but haven't really paid much attention to him at all.

Last edited:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had a bad year. he has always struck me as someone who wants the "splash" plays and gets frustrated and lazy when they aren't coming. He has the skills in his toolbox to be very good, i think. but he's gotta be ok with his role. i still think it's an even-money bet that he re-signs with the Packers. I don't think other teams will be blowing up his agent's phone trying to sign him. i look for him to quietly sign with green bay about 10 days after the start of free agency, a la James Jones. Sam Shields too.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had a bad year. he has always struck me as someone who wants the "splash" plays and gets frustrated and lazy when they aren't coming. He has the skills in his toolbox to be very good, i think. but he's gotta be ok with his role. i still think it's an even-money bet that he re-signs with the Packers. I don't think other teams will be blowing up his agent's phone trying to sign him. i look for him to quietly sign with green bay about 10 days after the start of free agency, a la James Jones. Sam Shields too.

I really hope you're wrong

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts