Pack and BJ close to1 year deal

H

HardRightEdge

Anybody who can answer the following question probably qualifies for a Doctor of Capology degree.

Both of the following sites, which have been quite current and accurate in the past, show Raji counting for $1.4 million in dead cap for 2014, even though his contract is fully paid as he goes into unrestricted free agency.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/
http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that 2014 is technically an option year, the terms of which elude me at the moment, though I vaguely recall it's a player option though I'm not certain about that.

So, is the dead money just a placeholder that goes away when Raji formally declines the player option before free agency begins (like Steven Jackson last season)? Or is there some provision associated with the option year of the contract whereby we'll be stuck with that dead cap?

I hate to say it, but it kinda looks like the 2014 option year allowed us to defer $1.4 million of 2009's signing bonus proration into $1.4 million dead cap for 2014. There were a lot of funky rules in the old CBA relating to cap manipulation and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=BJ Raji&Position=34DE&Team=Packers

Inquiring minds would like to know.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anybody who can answer the following question probably qualifies for a Doctor of Capology degree.

Both of the following sites, which have been quite current and accurate in the past, show Raji counting for $1.4 million in dead cap for 2014, even though his contract is fully paid as he goes into unrestricted free agency.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/
http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that 2014 is technically an option year, the terms of which elude me at the moment, though I vaguely recall it's a player option though I'm not certain about that.

So, is the dead money just a placeholder that goes away when Raji formally declines the player option before free agency begins (like Steven Jackson last season)? Or is there some provision associated with the option year of the contract whereby we'll be stuck with that dead cap?

I hate to say it, but it kinda looks like the 2014 option year allowed us to defer $1.4 million of 2009's signing bonus proration into $1.4 million dead cap for 2014. There were a lot of funky rules in the old CBA relating to cap manipulation and I'm wondering if this is one of them.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=BJ Raji&Position=34DE&Team=Packers

Inquiring minds would like to know.

The Packers actually pushed $1.4 million in bonus money from 2009 into 2014.

There´s a Year One Rookie Compensation Poool in the CBA, which is determined by the total number of picks and where those picks were slotted in each round, which the cap hits of all draft picks is not allowed to exceed. The Packers had two first round picks in that draft, I guess that´s why they pushed some of Raji´s prorated bonus to 2014. They did the same with $1.09 million of Matthews signing bonus in 2009.

BTW I have to apologize to NOMOFO, because I had to look up some of the stuff I posted above.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want absolutely no part of him going forward. 0 sacks in last 39 games and has never forced a fumble in his career and graded out dead last according to PFF against the run. I don't know what happened to him whether it was him getting lazy or scheme but whatever it is I'm done with him. It's actually amazing he was offered this deal in the 1st place, and then for him to turn it down makes me question his intellegence.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
0 sacks in last 39 games and has never forced a fumble in his career and graded out dead last according to PFF against the run.

I can accomplish all of these things as well or better than Raji.
If he's worth 8 mill a year then I must be worth at least 10!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers actually pushed $1.4 million in bonus money from 2009 into 2014.

There´s a Year One Rookie Compensation Poool in the CBA, which is determined by the total number of picks and where those picks were slotted in each round, which the cap hits of all draft picks is not allowed to exceed. The Packers had two first round picks in that draft, I guess that´s why they pushed some of Raji´s prorated bonus to 2014. They did the same with $1.09 million of Matthews signing bonus in 2009.

BTW I have to apologize to NOMOFO, because I had to look up some of the stuff I posted above.

Spin it all you want. This is all good stuff. I love reading informative posts on things like this.

This is much different than posting a comment about some clown and suggesting he's a legit player... and then attempting to actually back it up by stats you looked up ...and when the stats don't show it... you just keep on keeping on.

Like.... " I know Danny Amedola has little to show for his 5 years in the NFL BUT..."

D

Deleted member 6794

This is much different than posting a comment about some clown and suggesting he's a legit player... and then attempting to actually back it up by stats you looked up ...and when the stats don't show it... you just keep on keeping on.

Like.... " I know Danny Amedola has little to show for his 5 years in the NFL BUT..."

I never said Amendola has little to show for, that is your take on him. It seems like you really hate him, probably because he was injured too often after you drafted him in one of your fantasy leagues. Once again, Amendola has 250 receptions while only playing in 54 games over five seasons (Jordy has only 19 more over that period while playing in 73 games). It's really not that hard to understand that he's capable of catching the ball, he just has to stay healthy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want absolutely no part of him going forward. 0 sacks in last 39 games and has never forced a fumble in his career and graded out dead last according to PFF against the run. I don't know what happened to him whether it was him getting lazy or scheme but whatever it is I'm done with him. It's actually amazing he was offered this deal in the 1st place, and then for him to turn it down makes me question his intellegence.

I dont get why people believed that report.

2 sides to this, raji's team and the packers. very very little leaks out of 1265, so 95% chance Raji's team floated this out there. Why would they do that? To hopefully drive up the perceived value of Raji.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2 sides to this, raji's team and the packers. very very little leaks out of 1265, so 95% chance Raji's team floated this out there. Why would they do that? To hopefully drive up the perceived value of Raji.

Regardless it doesnt change my stance not that it matters. I dont want him back at half that so job well done by his people.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless it doesnt change my stance not that it matters. I dont want him back at half that so job well done by his people.

Oh I agree, I'm done with him. We resign him and hell get beat out by a 6th rd rookie.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Raji is sorry he turned it down & hopefully the Packers let him go

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After thinking about this, this seriously makes me question his intelligence now, and question the people representing him intelligence as well. $8 million dollars per year would slot him between Haloti Ngata and Vince Wilfork (base salaries) in 2014 for DT's and between Chris Clemons and Charles Johnson (base salaries) in 2014 for DE's. Obviously this doesn't take into account what defenses these teams run, and how they utilize said players, just purely from a dollars and cents standpoint. I don't have the stats in front of me but I'm going to guess Raji in the past 3 years doesn't come close to the production of these players.

He should have taken that deal and laughed his *** off all the way to the bank if it was true because he isn't going to come close to that coming up in March.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
After thinking about this, this seriously makes me question his intelligence now, and question the people representing him intelligence as well.
I agree but only if the report of the deal are true and if true, it was a legit offer. If Raji’s agent is the source of the report we don’t have any reason to believe it’s true. And if the Packers did offer an $8M/year deal it may have contained relatively little guaranteed money and big money at the end of the contract which would be unlikely to be earned. Such an offer would allow the Packers to walk away after a couple of seasons with little cap consequence. IOW, all $8M/year contract offers aren’t the same. Perhaps Raji can get more guaranteed money elsewhere, and I hope he does.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After thinking about this, this seriously makes me question his intelligence now, and question the people representing him intelligence as well. $8 million dollars per year would slot him between Haloti Ngata and Vince Wilfork (base salaries) in 2014 for DT's and between Chris Clemons and Charles Johnson (base salaries) in 2014 for DE's. Obviously this doesn't take into account what defenses these teams run, and how they utilize said players, just purely from a dollars and cents standpoint. I don't have the stats in front of me but I'm going to guess Raji in the past 3 years doesn't come close to the production of these players.

He should have taken that deal and laughed his *** off all the way to the bank if it was true because he isn't going to come close to that coming up in March.

GREED more the anything. Honestly figures to make about 4.5 if he hits the market....but then again. Some desperate team may give him more. This yr cost him. He will be in Chicago. After they dump Peppers or restructure him they can afford him.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said before, I love BJ. I was hoping he'd kick arsh and be here a long time. Having said that, having watched him now since he's been here, there is absolutely nothing that makes me "worried" about the thought of him playing against us on another team.

Even at his best he's not a guy that's going to beat you. I know I know....he takes up two blockers and yada yada yada.... but... he's not close to a 8-9 mil a year guy. In fact, I would welcome the thought of him taking up even 6-8 mil in cap space for the Vikes or Bears.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GREED more the anything. Honestly figures to make about 4.5 if he hits the market....but then again. Some desperate team may give him more. This yr cost him. He will be in Chicago. After they dump Peppers or restructure him they can afford him.

I see the exact same thing happening. I could see Raji taking one of those Michael Bennett or Cliff Avril type contracts with the Bears in order to earn a bigger contract in 2015. Raji played himself out of a contract (instead of into a contract). Getting some sack on a bad Bears defense could earn him some money.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess my question is, was it him or the way Dom utilized him? I don't know enough about what he was asked to do in order to make an accurate assessment. Either way I don't want him back.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my question is, was it him or the way Dom utilized him? I don't know enough about what he was asked to do in order to make an accurate assessment. Either way I don't want him back.

He's been in the same scheme under the same coach his entire career.
He changed spots on the line but scheme is the same. Ive always thought Raji was suited for a DT rather it be in the 3-4 or 4-3 but hey im not the coach.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Although Raji’s role in the D has changed IMO his declining performance is almost entirely on him. He’s played NT and DE in base and DT in the sub packages over the last few seasons and only lost his spot rushing the passer in sub packages because of lack of results. Remember his play in 2010? He was a disrupter in the middle of the DL, a difference maker that offenses had to account for. What happened? I’m sure no coach told him to stop being that kind of playmaker and just take up two blockers instead. And BTW, there’s no rule against breaking through a double team and making a play once in a while.

I’m concerned when the Packers consider re-signing a player whose level of performance only seems to increase in contract years – the obvious concern is that after the big pay day they’ll revert to their previous performance level. How much more should we be concerned about a player whose performance doesn’t increase significantly in a contract year? We did see flashes from Raji this season, but they were too few and far between. I’ve read there should be quite a few DL wide bodies available in UFA; I’d rather Thompson pick a cheaper alternative from that bunch then invest money in a player who, although still young, used be very good.

Members online

Latest posts