Our weakest position/area

what area of our team do you feel is the weakest link now?

• Still too finesse of OL, soft running game

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • Lack of game-breaking fast RB

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Too many TEs now

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Not a legit 2nd OLB pass rusher opposite Matthews

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • No pass rush presence on the OL to replace Cullen Jenkins

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After adding Randall Cobb to the return game, and depth at WR, after adding Sherrod at either backup OT for now, and the other additions among the 10 draft picks, what area of our team do you feel is the weakest link now?

Reaction score
Crabtree, Havner, Finley, Quarless, Williams, and Taylor make 2 too many tight ends for my liking. I wouldn't be surprised if we put Taylor on the practice squad and kept the other 5 players. Even though it isn't considered a weak thing to have too much talent at one position, it could cause the team to cut players at other positions that I think we need depth at too.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crabtree, Havner, Finley, Quarless, Williams, and Taylor make 2 too many tight ends for my liking. I wouldn't be surprised if we put Taylor on the practice squad and kept the other 5 players. Even though it isn't considered a weak thing to have too much talent at one position, it could cause the team to cut players at other positions that I think we need depth at too.

Don't forget Donald Lee, though I think we part ways with him and Havner (Again) this season and run with Finley, Quarless, Crabtree and Williams with Taylor to the practice squad as you said. Either that or Taylor will make the roster on special teams..

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Did I really read that too many good players or potential players at one position is a greatest weakness?
lol, that one takes the cake. That's like saying too much talent makes for a tough cut before the season. hahahaha.
It sucks to be the World Champions doesn't it?
I think the Packers are realistically looking to change the way offenses look in the NFL. The H-Back with split out duties. There's alot of versatility there for all kinds of inventive things. Who doesn't like trick plays when they work?
If anything, I really, really didn't get the Hawaii RB but let's wait and see, you have to be excited as a fan, we were 2nd in defense and 10th in offense. I can see us notch it up to 2nd offense and 1st defense. Things bode well for SB run this year.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see our defense being as high as it was last year, didn't really upgrade anywhere and are losing jenkins. On top of that woodson is only getting older, and you can not rely on matthews and williams to have as big of years as they did last year. I'm expecting the D to be somewhere in the 5-7 range.
That being said the overal defensive and offensive rankings mean nothing. Wins and loses are the only thing that matters (and maybe turnovers).

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score

I would bet that Havner won't make the final roster and neither will Taylor, although he could be a potential practice squad guy.

Remember, it seemed like we had too many TEs going into last year and it turned out we needed every single one of them. As much as I/we love Jermichael Finley, he hasn't gotten through a full season as a starter yet.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The hardest part of saying what our weakest area is, it looks like Defense, yet they didn't fail us last year. There wasn't a single moment in a game that we were down by more than a touchdown and extra point. If anything our Special teams needs some work.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'm going to be really egotistical here and say I don't think we have one. OL's been solidified in the last 2 drafts, there's no such thing as too many playmaking tight ends, Grant/Starks/Green is plenty at running back, I love the potential of Ricky Elmore at the OLB position, and I think a returning Mike Neal solidifes the d-line.

Maybe kicker. Does that count?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do we dare question ted?
Ted is not without fault, but his track record is awfully good, and it's hard to find someone who knows more about these kids than he does.

If we got a Hawaii fan or someone who constantly saw Alex Green play, and doesn't like the pick, for example, be my guest.

I just don't like people saying x pick was bad when they don't know anything about the kid other than highlight vids and "draft experts" analysis.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DE is weakest. Neal can replace Jenkins but in his 2nd year will he be a force Cullen was? I doubt it, give him some more time. We won a Title with blue collar ROLB playing so it hasn't changed much. DE is our "weakest link"

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only concern at this time is our DL depth. I'm hoping we add a veteran through free agency or resign Jenkins. I'm still very high on Mike Neal, but we could use some experience behind him.

I think our defense has a very good chance to be even better than last year. Look at all the young players that were thrown in the mix: Shields, Zombo, Walden, CJ Wilson, Burnett, Neal, etc. Another year of experience and health will only help and Tramon, Clay and BJ have still yet to reach their peak.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say perhaps our kicker may be a weak link. We could have won a couple more games last year and a few more in 2009 if Crosby would have split the uprights, on those close score kicks. This years rule change putting kickoffs back up to the 35 should help special teams with field position, as it should for all teams.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like Sean Payton's way with kickers, if they let him down he cuts them! While that may sound like it puts too much pressure on the Kicker, it means the ones that want that job will put in the work to be the best.
I like Crosby, I don't love him, but thinking about all of the kickers in the NFL, ONLY Vinatieri does fit into the 'love' category. It certainly wouldn't hurt to bring in some competition for the job.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby had a good rookie year. He has been struggling since, but last year he worked hard and was better than the previous year. But yeah, if he can get the consistent magic back that he had in 2007, we will most surely have home field advantage this season in the PO's.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think one of our biggest holes is defending against the run, not saying its horrible, but it aint great! We ranked 18th in the league having an average of 4.7 yards per carry against. The teams that competed well with us last year or beat us had a good running game, with the exception of the Lions when Rodgers was concussed and left the game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted asked Capers what he needs for 2011, Capers said just a box of chalk and some notebooks.

ok he didnt actually say that but thats how I imagine the conversation went before the draft.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted asked Capers what he needs for 2011, Capers said just a box of chalk and some notebooks.

ok he didnt actually say that but thats how I imagine the conversation went before the draft.
Can someone do a photoshop with Capers' face in MacGyver's head, oh please?

Members online

Latest posts