Our Secondary Play

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off I am getting a little tired of everyone solely blaming Carroll. Every post in this forum lately has Carroll taking the sole blame for the bad coverage. It's because Carroll is easily picked on and noone wants to mention who else screwed up big time last night. Here is exactly what happened. If you feel this is inaccurate then feel free to respond.

First TD McNabb up the middle

We had no push from the middle of the line. The DT's got driven back and Barnett was out of position as usual. The Safteties got caught up in the wash and couldn't provide any support. Blame = Pickett, Cole? Barnett

2nd TD = Carroll was late getting onto the field. He was in a bump and run assignment which is essentially a "man under scheme". In that scheme, with Carroll being aggressive at the LOS it is important for the Safety to provide help over the top. Carroll got a poor bump when the WR released to the inside Carroll was automatically out of position on the outside. Carroll could not catch up and Collins was nowhere near providing help over the top. Blame = Carroll, Collins

3rd TD = McNabb went playaction and it froze the D-Line. They were caught out of position and it gave McNabb way to much time. He hit the WR in the empty zone. Woodson released the WR but didn't get any kind of bump on him at all and there was no one behind him. It was almost definitely a Saftey that should have picked him up. Manual was the first in the picture so I beleive it was him. Blame = D-Line, Woodson, Manual

4th TD = McNabb scrambled and Kampman couldn't contain. Once he got past Kampy it was pretty easy for him.Poppinga was caught up inside and couldn't get any pursuit outside. Hawk got his jock handed to him atthe end as well. Blame = Kampy, Poppinga, Hawk

Another big thing was the poor offensive play so they get alot of blame as well. On Top of that our Kick Return coverage was abysmal while our Kick return game was average at best so the special teams are not exempt outside of Ryan and Rayner.

It was a total Defensive collapse. Pinning this loss on Carroll solely is looking for a scapegoat.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

We had no push from the middle of the line. The DT's got driven back and Barnett was out of position as usual. The Safteties got caught up in the wash and couldn't provide any support. Blame = Pickett, Cole? Barnett

You should add a big dose of the blame on this one to AJ Hawk who got blocked about 5 yards back into the end zone. Pretty ugly play by everyone.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
pyledriver80 said:

You should add a big dose of the blame on this one to AJ Hawk who got blocked about 5 yards back into the end zone. Pretty ugly play by everyone.

True, both Poppinga and Hawk, along with the safety couldn't make the play. Somebodies got to make it! It would be nice if we got some sort of push up the middle however

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all until last night I did not here much of anything on Carroll other than the fake he took as the deep back in the Saints game that resulted in a touchdown. Blame: Carroll

Secondly, he was covering the #4 WR and should have been able to handle it. Help would have been nice but it may very well have been that collins was leaning to the other side to help in that situation.

Woodson was over there one on one prior to this and did a good job not letting anyone get by him.

Third of all Carroll got beat badly again deep to the right side which resulted in a long gain in which Philly scored on the next play. No, he wasn't responsible for the TD play. Just the play before that which put Philly way down there in scoring position.

Even if the pass hadn't been completed Carroll was called for holding further back down field and they would have gotten field position anyways.

I don't know what the big deal is calling a spade a spade. It was pointed out when Manuel didn't make the right read on a blitz and failed to come up and take away the pass to the RB in last weeks game that resulted in a TD.

Collins turning the wrong way and falling down another time was pointed out as well.

I, for one, have pointed out that Carrol's play at the end of last year was BETTER and he had done reasonably well so far this year.

But the guy dogged it last night. I don't know how much clearer it could have been to see. What are you trying to justify this for?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to speak for Pyle, but there was more wrong than Ahmad Carroll last night and I think that's his point. AC had a lot of responsibility for the loss, but it wasn't only him.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Not to speak for Pyle, but there was more wrong than Ahmad Carroll last night and I think that's his point. AC had a lot of responsibility for the loss, but it wasn't only him.

Exactly, Carroll was released so he just got an early X-mas present. Now let's see how good the defense is with the PROBLEM gone.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game was over for me during that drive where McNabb converted two 3rd and longs with his ****ing feet. Does nobody realize that when you see McNabb under center you have to account for the possibility that he's going to run? He didn't even have to start his slide until he was comfortably past the 1st down marker. What's next? Defending Vick as if he's solely a pocket passer?

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
TOPackerFan said:

Exactly, Carroll was released so he just got an early X-mas present. Now let's see how good the defense is with the PROBLEM gone.

i dont think he si the only problem.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just realized my post isn't exactly about the secondary...but whatever, I'm disgusted with all aspects of the defence today.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll wasn't the only problem. He was part of the problem though. Coaching and our safties are the other equations to the problem.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Carroll wasn't the only problem. He was part of the problem though. Coaching and our safties are the other equations to the problem.

And the LB play was less than stellar last night

Members online

Latest posts