Our Safeties

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Getting to the Super Bowl, even if we lost, would have made this a special season with everything
that the team has gone through with the injuries. Also our pass rush...8th in sacks this year....the safety play yes atrocious.

And have you seen Denver's defense? 27th in the NFL, worse than ours. We have the offensive weapons to force a shootout against them, so yes, we would have a chance.

Even if we lost, to be afraid to play in the actual SUPER BOWL because of a fear of getting blown out, just a ridiculous mentality. I'm pretty sure 99% of us (I would have thought 100%, but apparently not) would have gladly taken our shot in the big game 10 times out of 10 this year if we could have made it.

NEVER said i didn't want this team to go to the SB. I said i'd rather lose in the first rd vs getting blown out in the SB. Theres a difference. So your math is correct at 100% ;)

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver won't be in the Super Bowl. Peyton has never been a good playoff quarterback. When his play suffers his teams lose.
Mostly true.
I just don't know who IS going to make it from the AFC.
New England has had more devastating injuries than even we have.
They've lost 3 GREAT players in Gronkowski, Wilfork, and their ILB Spikes. That team is not Super Bowl caliber IMO.
They play Indianapolis, who is missing their key WR Reggie Wayne, another significant injury loss. NE should beat them though, but Luck is clutch.

San Diego at Denver?
Rivers can never be counted out. That game would worry me if I was a Broncos fan.
And Denver has lost their Clay Matthews (Von Miller) and their Bryan Bulaga (Ryan Clady).
Those two guys are All-Pro's, impossible to replace, as we know how that works.

Could San Diego or Indianapolis make that magical journey like Baltimore did, like NYG did, like we did?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Morgan Burnett was rated the #1 safety in the league last year. If so, what the hell happened?
He decided to give a crap about the other Safety spot getting abused, and wasn't playing for a contract anymore. Hell he was better back with the cast.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And the dreads
SO much the dreads. He only started sucking after he cut them. Dreads make you a better player. Scientific fact. How much better is directly proportionate to the awesomeness of your dreads. Imagine what McMillian/Jennings would have looked like out there had they tried to rock a smooth baldy.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're horrible.

Losing Nick Collins was devastating.

Not getting one of the many real good safeties in the past 2 drafts was, perhaps, a mistake.

At least Teddy locked up Burnett with a nice new rich long contract before this season. So he's here to stay for awhile.

We also should have kept Woodson.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw this on twitter:

M.D. Jennings had the third highest QB rating against amongst all safeties: 148.8.
Burnett was eighth highest: 138.0.

Zero INTs all season. Proof they can't cover. Burnett was slow to react and/or get to VD on the TD in the 4Q. And neither are good tacklers. Just about as bad of safety play as you could get.

This position is our number 1 priority to improve next season. And it's not close anymore in my opinion.

I agree with everything u stated although I do believe the expectations for Burnett where that he would improve to Nick Collins caliber or similar, remember Burnett played every snap of defense last season. But with TT spending money on Burnetts contract he took the cheap route out for the FS after letting Woodson walk to try to spend elsewhere such a Rodgers, and Matthews, but not taking the cheap route out he gambled and lost, and now is the biggest gaping whole on defense.
Don't think for a minute TT isn't brewing something for the draft to get Ha' Sean Clinton-Dix because they know Dom Capers ability and desire for his playmaking ability which we desperately need.
I also think next year Burnetts numbers will look a lot better when he completely has healed even though we all know he played hurt all season.
Richardson I think should be brought back for training camp to compete for a roster spot.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, safety is a gigantic hole, but so is ILB. We also have needs at DL, TE, OLB (clay can't stay healthy, Perry is injury prone and ineffective), and possibly OL and WR. This team has lots of needs.

Priority number one must be to draft a useful player regardless of position in the first round. Its been a long drought now going back all the way back to Raji. Those four straight losses to the niners begin and end with poor decisions on draft day (and injuries).

Draft someone that can actually help us in his rookie year instead of 'developing' for years and years, sign somebody useful for the defense in free agency, and can the strength and conditioning staff. That would be a good off season. My fingers are crossed.

Honestly I believe the Packers first four picks will be S,DL ,OLB and TE not necessarily in that order
If James Jones resigns WR will not be a concern as Boykins and shown to lock up the 4th receiver spot but TT will cheap out and go UFA route for receiver 5 given we have 20 free agents for OL he won't spend much so don't expect him to draft one.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji was most definitely drafted for position and probably wasn't the best on the board at the time.

I agree with most of your offseason plans and that we need an immediate impact, just not necessarily the needs. We are deep at WR, especially if Jones comes back. A project WR wouldn't hurt, but it's not a need.

I feel the same about OL. I think the O-line made big strides this year, and we get Bulaga and Tretter for (presumably) full seasons next year.

I think safety is far and away the most pressing need, but we'll see if they choose to address it at all in free agency first.

TT won't go after any free agents at Safety he would rather draft one given the safety prospects he will take his chances draft day don't over look Dom Capers and MM talking up going after Clinton-Dix for his big play ability which we haven't had since Woodson.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I haven't seen any Oakland games this year, but I have seen ours and Woodson was good when he was in Green Bay.
So was LeRoy Butler, should we sign him for 2014 season as well? Woodson is past his prime and is no longer the player he was. TT was absolutely correct in letting him go.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He decided to give a crap about the other Safety spot getting abused, and wasn't playing for a contract anymore. Hell he was better back with the cast.

He played hurt this year that's why he was always a step slow then trying to compensate for the lack of other safety help so instead of 11 bodies on defense we played all year with 10.

D

Deleted member 6794

He played hurt this year that's why he was always a step slow then trying to compensate for the lack of other safety help so instead of 11 bodies on defense we played all year with 10.

Burnett played all but one defensive snap after he returned from his injury after the bye week. Why do you think he was injured??? He just played poorly.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No. I haven't seen any Oakland games this year, but I have seen ours and Woodson was good when he was in Green Bay.
Woodson is no longer who he was. Father Time has taken much from him.
Burnett had better play with a cast on last year. He made mental errors. Fact is that Burnett isn't field fast, it's part of why I can't trust him deep in single high. By mid season he seemed in normal form from an injury standpoint.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So was LeRoy Butler, should we sign him for 2014 season as well? Woodson is past his prime and is no longer the player he was. TT was absolutely correct in letting him go.

The guy missed more then half the dang season hurt his last year here so how the hell does that warrant him being past his prime? please watch the way he played in Oakland and compare his stats and numbers to not only our sorry safties but to the rest of the safties in the league and you may be singing a different tune.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not every snap of this season last season that's why the expectations for him were so high this year

He missed the first three games of this season with an injury. He played all but one snap afterwards.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Burnett had better play with a cast on last year. He made mental errors. Fact is that Burnett isn't field fast, it's part of why I can't trust him deep in single high. By mid season he seemed in normal form from an injury standpoint.

Burnett wasn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be but you have to remember honestly he played both safety positions because Jennings and McMillian didn't contribute a damn thing all season and coming back off his injury he was rushed to play due to our lack of safeties abilities and a hamstring takes way longer than 6wks to heal playing hurt only makes it worse players do it all the time!

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He missed the first three games of this season with an injury. He played all but one snap afterwards.

I know that did u actually read my comment I was referring to how he got the contract and his expectations not his playing every down this year because this yr did him no justice, Burnett did not miss a single defensive snap last season that's y expectations were so high but disappointment as we all got in the end.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Burnett needs help he should be the box safety in deep coverage this year we saw he lacks that ability but all is not lost with him he just needs a reliable playmaker over the top

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hamstrings are unpredictable, you can't "set" a time frame on them. They can heal up faster than 6 weeks, and judging from the tape, Burnett was fine in week 8. He had a bad year, it happens. We can be realistic enough to accept that. Burnett tried to do too much this year, and it bit him.
Burnett needs help he should be the box safety in deep coverage this year we saw he lacks that ability but all is not lost with him he just needs a reliable playmaker over the top
What in the name of oxymoron? I assume that you forgot a period after the word "Safety" in bold and actually mean he stays at SS covering TE/RB underneath while somebody capable of actually covering the entire back end covers the back end in single high coverage. Hearing Ryan Clark talk on Mike&Mike about facing Peyton Manning and our defense against the 9ers makes me want him bad. He can be the secondary's equivalent of Hawk, just line everybody up and play.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hamstrings are unpredictable, you can't "set" a time frame on them. They can heal up faster than 6 weeks, and judging from the tape, Burnett was fine in week 8. He had a bad year, it happens. We can be realistic enough to accept that. Burnett tried to do too much this year, and it bit him.

What in the name of oxymoron? I assume that you forgot a period after the word "Safety" in bold and actually mean he stays at SS covering TE/RB underneath while somebody capable of actually covering the entire back end covers the back end in single high coverage. Hearing Ryan Clark talk on Mike&Mike about facing Peyton Manning and our defense against the 9ers makes me want him bad. He can be the secondary's equivalent of Hawk, just line everybody up and play.

You and I both know TT won't spend money on a free agent, and yes I forgot a period.
Playing Burnett deep is a 50/50 gamble and guess what that's not what we need our defense played with 10 players all season, honestly Jennings was jus there to take up space because he didn't do a damn thing, like I stated before Burnett coming off a Hamstring with our Training Staff There is no way you can get me to believe he played healthy, about 40-50 % of the packers injuries were Hamstring injuries, which leads me to believe our trainers don't know how to treat them or our players just have really Sh***y conditioning.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
40-50%of the league struggles with hamstring injuries including the Eagles and the Browns. You forget that as a general rule (there are some exceptions) you're not allowed back on the field until you're 100% or damn close to it.

Clark is old with sickle cell, so he might come cheap. TT will sign a bargain FA, and I'm hoping the price is right. Short deal just over vet min with an adequate amount of guaranteed money. Just enough to delay his inevitable broadcasting career.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts