Our RB's in 2013.......

ARodsBelt12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I thought you were talking about 1st round. But one of my dislikes about Ball is his lack of speed considering his size.

He ran very well at his pro day, high 4.4's I believe so we'll say 4.5. Either way I highly doubt teams care too much about his combine and pro day numbers, we tend to forget teams and scouts judge players by what they did on the field. Most teams from my understanding have their draft boards set up before the combine, the combine is more useful to them for interviews and working out players that may be changing positions ie college DE to 3-4 OLB. I don't think too many teams drastically change their big boards due solely to combine numbers.

M

mayo44

He ran very well at his pro day, high 4.4's I believe so we'll say 4.5.

Pro days are events that the players and schools (or their agents) set up to promote their product. Players generally run consistently faster at pro days than they do at the combine. (Hmm... wonder why that is.) He ran a 4.66 at the combine, at which each player is objectively measured against each other. Jerome Bettis was 250 lbs. and he ran a 4.48 at the combine.

Most NFL linebackers are faster than Ball. Ball has good receiving skills and he blocks well, which is why he's an ideal 3rd down back, but he simply doesn't have the big play ability to make it as a featured back in the NFL. Hell, there are probably a few DTs in the NFL who could run him down in the open field.

Simply put, he's not big enough to run over defenders and he's not fast enough to run away from them. No thanks. Most of the credit for his production should rightfully go to the 5 widebodies he ran behind for 4 years. Put him on a team like Boston College or NC State and nobody likely has a second thought about him. Certainly not in the first round.

ARodsBelt12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro days are events that the players and schools (or their agents) set up to promote their product. Players generally run consistently faster at pro days than they do at the combine. (Hmm... wonder why that is.) He ran a 4.66 at the combine, at which each player is objectively measured against each other. Jerome Bettis was 250 lbs. and he ran a 4.48 at the combine.

Most NFL linebackers are faster than Ball. Ball has good receiving skills and he blocks well, which is why he's an ideal 3rd down back, but he simply doesn't have the big play ability to make it as a featured back in the NFL. Hell, there are probably a few DTs in the NFL who could run him down in the open field.

Simply put, he's not big enough to run over defenders and he's not fast enough to run away from them. No thanks. Most of the credit for his production should rightfully go to the 5 widebodies he ran behind for 4 years. Put him on a team like Boston College or NC State and nobody likely has a second thought about him. Certainly not in the first round.

Why is that? He's still running 40 yards and the scouts and coaches that are there are the ones with the stop watches timing him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ran very well at his pro day, high 4.4's I believe so we'll say 4.5. Either way I highly doubt teams care too much about his combine and pro day numbers, we tend to forget teams and scouts judge players by what they did on the field. Most teams from my understanding have their draft boards set up before the combine, the combine is more useful to them for interviews and working out players that may be changing positions ie college DE to 3-4 OLB. I don't think too many teams drastically change their big boards due solely to combine numbers.

they tend to judge them based on what they project what they will do, not what they did.

M

mayo44

Why is that? He's still running 40 yards and the scouts and coaches that are there are the ones with the stop watches timing him.

The only way to compare players against each other is when they are timed using identical methods. That's why combine numbers have to be compared against combine numbers. And using that methodology, he was one of the slowest RBs at the combine.

Hand timed runs outside of the combine can't be used to compare players because hand timing is too subjective. One timer's reaction time might be 2 tenths of a second slower than the next guy. At the combine, the same two people time each runner and there is a third time that is started by hand and stopped electronically. The mean of the three times is the official time for that run. It's a much more accurate way of comparing than using outside numbers. If it wasn't, they wouldn't bother doing it at all.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, NOW....... we have:

#1- Eddie Lacy
#2- DuJuan Harris

Who sticks after that?
  • Alex Green
  • James Starks
  • Cedric Benson?
Lacy is a big banger.
Harris is the Sproles, Ahmad Bradshaw quick small back.

Still not sure what Green is other than Ted's pretty high pick 2 years ago.
Benson is an all-purpose, higher-mileage guy they did love last year when he got going before the foot broke.
They rode Starks in the playoffs in the Super Bowl run, but he's done nothing since then.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I presume Green sticks. He's still learning the game after popping his ACL in 2011. He may never be a dynamic ball carrier, but he's a solid 3rd down back. And he knows the system. Not a stretch that Harris and Lacy are one and two, three should at least have half an idea what to do for the entire playbook.

Similarly, until Lacy shows he wants to, can do, and understand how to pass protect in this offense, his snaps will have a limit.

H

HardRightEdge

Green, Starks, Benson...

First of all, you have to give Green and Starks the edge over Benson because they are actually under contract.

Then there's the matter of Benson's interview/physical this week. I surmise that didn't go so well since Lacy is the highest drafted TB during TT's tenure, and he's a banger to boot making Benson redundant.

Green or Starks?

I don't think Green will ever be much of a runner...Brandon Jackson redux. Could Green convert to WR? I think he could create some match up problems out of the slot.

Starks is a better runner than Green will ever be, but he's so brittle he just can't stay on the field. You have to think he might be gone with his next hang nail.

I think they'll keep Green because he was a 3rd. round pick and has the excuse of coming off the ACL...intrigue of the unknown (and relatively expensive). That's what I think they'll do. I'd like to say none of the above...we've got 10 more picks.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember defending Ryan Grant in 2009 so many times.
Look at the last time we had solid production from anyone at the RB position.
We'd kill to get from Lacy what we got from Grant in 2007, 2008, 2009.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

4 different leading rushers in the past 4 seasons, and it's gotten worse each year.
This year SHOULD certainly make it 5 straight years with a different leading rusher.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think my biggest takeaway from this draft is the sudden development of a legitimate running game. The three-headed attack of Lacy, Franklin, and Harris will yield significant gains for an offense that went stagnant at times last year and in a roundabout way protects our $110M man. I explain more on how it will exactly benefit the offense in a multitude of ways here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-i2

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Green, Starks, Benson...

First of all, you have to give Green and Starks the edge over Benson because they are actually under contract.

Then there's the matter of Benson's interview/physical this week. I surmise that didn't go so well since Lacy is the highest drafted TB during TT's tenure, and he's a banger to boot making Benson redundant.

Green or Starks?

I don't think Green will ever be much of a runner...Brandon Jackson redux. Could Green convert to WR? I think he could create some match up problems out of the slot.

Starks is a better runner than Green will ever be, but he's so brittle he just can't stay on the field. You have to think he might be gone with his next hang nail.

I think they'll keep Green because he was a 3rd. round pick and has the excuse of coming off the ACL...intrigue of the unknown (and relatively expensive). That's what I think they'll do. I'd like to say none of the above...we've got 10 more picks.
Yes, but if Starks can stay healthy, that is IF, then he will be ahead of Green I believe. Totally agree. two thunder and lightening combos. I think Harris supplants Green. One thing is for sure, it's going to put alot of fun into watching the Pack next year.

Staff online

Latest posts