Our defense now...

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, TT also drafted...Harrell, Hawk, Matthews & Raji BOTH in round 1. Drafting excessive defense gets boring. Think back to being a kid, the same excitement is not there the way it is when you draft an offensive skill position like WR or RB.

Actually, most football fans find a potent pass rush to be a pretty exciting thing to behold... especially when it was missing last year.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For TT to wait until our last 2 picks for offense he has(as he should)great confidence in our O-line. Hopefully Saine,Starks & Cobb can carry the load at the RB position until next yrs draft.
I think you mean Saine, Starks and Green. Also we signed UDFAs Nic Cooper, RB/FS Winston-Salem and RB Marc Tyler from USC

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yes, TT also drafted...Harrell, Hawk, Matthews & Raji BOTH in round 1. Drafting excessive defense gets boring. Think back to being a kid, the same excitement is not there the way it is when you draft an offensive skill position like WR or RB.

Another thing, when he did get Nelson (second round - first pick that year for Pack) ....DeSean Jackson was still available.

and Jordy has a ring and Jackson doesn't.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and Jordy has a ring and D-Jackson doesn't.
Exactly.
And we can thank DeSean a little for that one as his last-second PR for a TD in week 17 of that season knocked the Giants from the playoffs. So we didn't have to play at the Giants, instead got Vick and the Iggles.

It all worked out well to take Jordy over D-Jack.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL! From wInston Salem :p the guy was born in 1992 though so I guess there's officially people younger than me on the packers now.. :sigh:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Exactly.
And we can thank DeSean a little for that one as his last-second PR for a TD in week 17 of that season knocked the Giants from the playoffs. So we didn't have to play at the Giants, instead got Vick and the Iggles.

It all worked out well to take Jordy over D-Jack.

It's Karma, just like Having two Southern Cal OLB's. Good Karma man. See you in the French quarter next year.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
LOL! From wInston Salem :p the guy was born in 1992 though so I guess there's officially people younger than me on the packers now.. :sigh:
Theres players younger than my kids on the packers, and it woun't be too many years when my grand children will be the same age. Talk about SUCKS.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I am really excited with this draft. Picking as high as we were I think Ted did an excellent job waiting and moving to target our needs with thing his draft budget. Takes 3 years to know if you had a great draft but I expect our first 3 to have immeadite impact. If nothing elese the competition may turn Neal into the beast we have been waiting for. Perry on the outside taking some of the heat from clay and a couple of guys for the line to give us depth.

We wont't know for awhile but I'd say ted has at least hit a triple if not a HR with this draft in addressing the D. Gonna be lots of competition in camp.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson I think is more talented but Nelson is a better player. But the attitude and price is what makes Nelson better. But Jackson's speed on the pack with his return ability? It would have been something else.

Ted clearly made the right choice though with Nelson.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Drafting excessive defense gets boring. Think back to being a kid, the same excitement is not there the way it is when you draft an offensive skill position like WR or RB..

Yeah, having an exciting draft day is most important thing on Ted's mind. Maybe he should hire a clown to perform while the Packers are on the clock. Or hand out candy.

Another thing, when he did get Nelson (second round - first pick that year for Pack) ....DeSean Jackson was still available.

Good point! With DeSean on the Packers squad they might have won a Championship! Wait...:tdown:

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't trade Jordy for the Eagles entire WR corps, let alone Jackson.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DeSean Jackson may be one of the most over-rated receivers in the league. He's constantly dinged-up and complaining about his contract. Nelson is the better possession receiver and route runner.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like what TT did in this draft. He combined value with needs. Perry and Worthy both held first round grades. Perry is an immediate impact over Zombo, Walden and Jones. Worthy has the potential to be a very, very good player.

TT knew that he couldn't/didn't need to add 12 players through the draft. The compensatory picks allowed him to move up and be aggressive. He really worked his magic here.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone should make a similar thread about guessing where our total defense will be ranked.
I like the way you think.... but instead of total defense, it's passing defense. We were dead last at #32 last year allowing the most yards passing ever by any team in one season, in the history of the National Football League!

And our sack % was #32 last year among the 32 teams!

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we finally get us a decent running game it'll be lights out for our opponents.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we finally get us a decent running game it'll be lights out for our opponents.
I think our OL with another year of playing together, better LOT play - either Newhouse with an offseason/year of experience, or the more talented Sherrod taking over, and out Rbs being healthy and a full offseason, our running games should be better. Additionally, having Cliffy gone - God Bless him - who offered very little in the way of run blocking, will also significantly improve the run game.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Our defense now is young is kind of has a lot going for it on paper, a lot more at least for the front end.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our OL with another year of playing together, better LOT play - either Newhouse with an offseason/year of experience, or the more talented Sherrod taking over, and out Rbs being healthy and a full offseason, our running games should be better. Additionally, having Cliffy gone - God Bless him - who offered very little in the way of run blocking, will also significantly improve the run game.

I think both Newhouse with an offseason and Sherrod finishing rehab and having a chance to develop will make LOT better for us. Last year it was a shambles.

I worry about our running game primarily due to Starks' injury problems. Can he stay healthy? I'm hoping to see the further development of Saine and Green.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am more than happy with our draft picks. We addressed what we needed to address and I feel confident that our D-line is going to be much improved!!!

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way you think.... but instead of total defense, it's passing defense. We were dead last at #32 last year allowing the most yards passing ever by any team in one season, in the history of the National Football League!

And our sack % was #32 last year among the 32 teams!
On the positive side we can only move up.

Members online

Latest posts