Our Corners...

Wolvi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok just want some thoughts...
I think we still have the best tandem at corner in the league, but they are getting older and the injury bug seems to haunt them...
I love every aspect of our team (well except punter, but y'all probably know my thoughts on Jon Ryan already:))
If ...knock on wood... one of them gets hurt... are we still deep enough there?
Just reading all the hype again this year about our team and lofty expecations (same ones we heard last year) and i start to get jumpy...
Someone please settle my nerves :resent:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about the best tandem in the league. If Harris can return to form at 35, then yes.

I see 2 certainties in this year. Woodson and Williams. Woodson is in a league of his own. And Williams will be a very good starter next year.

Now, we have an Al Harris who never got injuried, and that survived a ruptured spleen. But he's 35 and coming from a freakish injury.

We have Pat Lee, who has shown ton of promises from previous preseasons, but who was hurt all the time, and, if I'm not mistaken, never player a regular down.

We have Brandon Underwood, who the coaches are praising as the most improved player, but who was clearly out of his element last year. He has shown very good athletic skills, but as of last year, lacked severily in the awareness department.

There's Will Blackmon, who was never more than a serviceable player at nickel and dime, but is young and athletic.

And there's Jarrett Bush.

The way I see, we need 2 of them to contribute. 3, counting injuries. It's a plausible task, but a far from safe one. IMHO we'll need to draft a CB really high next year. I see this unit the same way I saw the OT this draft. We have 2 aging guys, and we need to get their heirs in time for it to be a smooth transition.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I wanted a corner in the draft. Badly. Because, no. If someone goes down we're not deep enough at that position. If Jarrett Bush has to see the field as a corner, you're not deep enough at that position.

Compound that with the fact that nobody really knows if Harris will be effective this year and our secondary has it's fair share of issues and may be the weakest non-special teams unit on the team.

OP
OP
Wolvi

Wolvi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ouch... i was wanting reassurance...now i gotta start looking through possible draft picks for next year...
if we can get a great pass rush with the front 7 i hope it can hide some depth issues @ CB then...
I do like our safeties though...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ouch... i was wanting reassurance...now i gotta start looking through possible draft picks for next year...
if we can get a great pass rush with the front 7 i hope it can hide some depth issues @ CB then...
I do like our safeties though...
Yeah, I think you also need to consider Bigby or Burnett (the loser of the Starting SS battle) as a possible nickel and dime CB.

Capers tend to use that sub.

So, if you think about it, we're not so desperate at CB. Not for this year at least. I think.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you also need to consider Bigby or Burnett (the loser of the Starting SS battle) as a possible nickel and dime CB.

Capers tend to use that sub.

So, if you think about it, we're not so desperate at CB. Not for this year at least. I think.
Since we run a zone-oriented defense, it makes sense to put our best defenders that can play zone in multiple formations. In this case, the ideal fit would be to put a safety there instead of a pure CB. I think this is why TT opted to go with a safety in the draft over a CB. I can definitely see Capers calling up a play containing a 3 safety set with Collins-Bigby-Burnett. I really want to see Derrick Martin get some reps playing Nickel or Dime. He was great back in Baltimore playing these positions. Martin and his agent said he wanted to get some reps playing as a 3rd or 4th CB on certain plays but as of yet we've seen nothing come to fruition in OTAs and minicamp regarding that. I hope the coaching staff AT LEAST considers it.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted a corner in the draft. Badly. Because, no. If someone goes down we're not deep enough at that position. If Jarrett Bush has to see the field as a corner, you're not deep enough at that position.

Compound that with the fact that nobody really knows if Harris will be effective this year and our secondary has it's fair share of issues and may be the weakest non-special teams unit on the team.

I actually disagree. I think Harris is a great player and if he goes down it sucks, obviously. If he returns to form, we have the #2 best tandem in the leage (hate to say it, Jets have it better especially with Kyle Wilson, it just makes me sick thinking of it.)

I think Williams has talent/potential to be a top 15 corner in the league. I think Pat Lee does also. He has phenomenal instincts and you can't teach football instincts.

I sincerely think, even if Harris was not back, they will be fine. I really do. Underwood is a great player. I said this when he was drafted - but I think he has the potential to be a #1 someday. He has alot to learn, but after leaving OSU coaches at Cinci said he improved more each year, and now GB coaches saying it? I think that is something not to take lightly. I think that if Lee can stay healthy and Harris comes back even at 75%, Packers may have one of the deeper and more talented CB's in the NFL (Woodson, Harris, Lee, Underwood, Williams. Not Bush or Blackmon).

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Al Harris?

4 MORE YEARS! 4 MORE YEARS! 4 MORE YEARS!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually disagree. I think Harris is a great player and if he goes down it sucks, obviously. If he returns to form, we have the #2 best tandem in the leage (hate to say it, Jets have it better especially with Kyle Wilson, it just makes me sick thinking of it.)

I think Williams has talent/potential to be a top 15 corner in the league. I think Pat Lee does also. He has phenomenal instincts and you can't teach football instincts.

I sincerely think, even if Harris was not back, they will be fine. I really do. Underwood is a great player. I said this when he was drafted - but I think he has the potential to be a #1 someday. He has alot to learn, but after leaving OSU coaches at Cinci said he improved more each year, and now GB coaches saying it? I think that is something not to take lightly. I think that if Lee can stay healthy and Harris comes back even at 75%, Packers may have one of the deeper and more talented CB's in the NFL (Woodson, Harris, Lee, Underwood, Williams. Not Bush or Blackmon).

If Underwood didn't have that incident, I would've agreed with you. Unfortuantely I think his dilemma may be a distraction to him on and off the field. I think though that if he keeps his head on straight, he'll end up with major playing time and a splid playmaker. I really don't think 2010 will be his breakout year but an intro to his true potential.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not impressed at all with our CBs.

First of all, in today's NFL, you need more than 2 good ones.
We have one good one only.

Harris will not be the same anymore. And he will probably miss the first two months.
Tramon Williams has not shown to be a good starting corner. He's been almost good as a nickelback, but as a starter, he left a lot to be desired and I think we all saw that last year after brother Al ripped his knee apart.

Number two, Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood will not be good this year. I can guarantee it. IF IF IF IF IF they stay healthy, then they will show some serious growing pains out there. They might make a play or two, but surely they will be victimized a number of times and make us all curse their name. That's the reality of it.

Just because Ted & Mike say they're ready doesn't mean they are. We need to trust our own eyes.

A year ago, did we all really believe that Al Barbre was the answer just because they were telling us both he and Breno Giacomini were looking so good?
You need to see it to believe it. Well, at least I do.

The Vikings added Lito Sheppard. He might not be the Pro Bowler he once was, but you still know what you're getting. He's as good as Tramon Williams is.
The Jets added Antonio Cromartie. He may tackle like a girl, or like Deion Sanders, but he can cover and can cover good WRs.
Anyone here that wouldn't trade Brandon Underwood for Cromartie?

This is our BY FAR biggest weakness as a position.

Members online

Latest posts