OTA Reports

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, Rodgers work out in 11-on-11 drills

Quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers participated in today's first team period, their first action in 11-on-11 drills during an open practice this spring. Both quarterbacks were limited to 7-on-7 passing drills at minicamp earlier this month.

In the first team period, tight ends Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey again worked with the first team, while veteran starter Bubba Franks worked with the second team.

In the absence of four defensive starters, cornerbacks Will Blackmon and Patrick Dendy and defensive tackles Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole worked with the first-team defense.

4 key players missing on defense

The Green Bay Packers' defense is noticeably shorthanded at today's first organized team activity practice.

Defensive tackles Corey Williams and Ryan Pickett and cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris aren't on the field.

The most notable of the group may be Williams, who hoped to sign a contract extension in the offseason. It's unclear why he's not in attendance.

Coach Mike McCarthy will meet with reporters after practice.

In the first public, team special-teams period of the spring, Jon Ryan and David Lonie each launched a series of punts from the plus 45-yard line at Ray Nitschke Field. For the most part, Ryan's kicks were better -- his first bounced at the 1, and he dropped four of 10 inside the 10. But it's worth noting that Lonie was battling the erratic long snapping of rookie Clark Harris, whose first four attempts all sailed high and to Lonie's right.

On a day with few offensive highlights, Brett Favre probably made the best play when he threaded a bullet pass to Carlyle Holiday on the right hashmark during the second team period.

Linebacker A.J. Hawk had the defensive play of the day, a one-handed interception on a Favre pass to Donald Driver during the final team period. Hawk also picked Favre during the mandatory minicamp earlier this month.

Frank Walker, who worked as the nickel cornerback with the first team, made an exceptional 1-on-1 play to bat an Aaron Rodgers deep ball away from Holiday in the second team period. How Walker did it with his pants resting completely below his posterior throughout practice is a bit of a mystery. :rotflmao:

Will Blackmon, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Shaun Bodiford battled a south wind during punt return drills. Blackmon took the first rep during the team period, but only Bodiford handled all his punts without a muff.

Kickers Mason Crosby and Dave Rayner went inside for about a half-hour but did no work in front of reporters and the roughly 150 fans watching from behind the fence.

Two brief scrums erupted after plays. Teammates had to pull apart defensive tackle Daniel Muir and rookie guard Allen Barbre after a Vernand Morency run. Then, minutes later, tight end Zac Alcorn threw a shoulder into end Jason Hunter after being bumped downfield.

Cornerback Tramon Williams made an athletic play to knock a pass away a pass from Jones during the blitz period.

Donald Driver drew a few shouts from fans by juking safety Atari Bigby after a shorrt catch.

Rookie receiver David Clowney made an exceptional catch in tight coverage during the final team period.

Coaches temporarily pulled nickel end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila from the second-team defense after he jumped offsides during the final team period. He also spent time with the third unit.

Call it ball security

Teammates seemed determined to strip the football from rookie running back Brandon Jackson throughout today's practice.

That led to a scary moment in the first team period, when the Packers' second-round draft pick dropped to all fours after catching a swing pass and running through traffic. After practice, Jackson said someone hit him in the groin.

Asked if it was a cheap shot, he smiled and said: "I saw the hand go down there, so I can't call it right now."

Vernand Morency took all the initial reps with the first unit. But Jackson, who missed the mandatory minicamp earlier this month because of an NFL-sponsored commitment, also worked in with the starters during team periods.

Roll call

In addition to the four defensive players noted in an earlier post, tackle Junius Coston missed today's practice. Coach Mike McCarthy made no specific reference to the whereabouts of any of the players in his post-practice remarks, though it seems likely veterans Charles Woodson, Al Harris and Ryan Pickett made arrangments to train elsewhere.

Many of the usual suspects participated in few or no drills. That included first-round pick Justin Harrell, defensive end Aaron Kampman, receivers Chris Francies Robert Ferguson, linebackers Marcus Randall and Abdul Hodge, tackle Kevin Barry, guard Tony Palmer, safety Marviel Underwood, and running backs DeShawn Wynn and Arliss Beach.

Players back on the field who had injuries during camp were defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and guard Jason Spitz.

Tom Pelissero - Green Bay Press-Gazette

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-who the hell is Tramon Williams? Awesome name though

-i like the scrums the guys got into. those arent ahmad carroll cheapshot suckerpunch scrums, those are practicing hard scuffles with rookies and young players doing it vs. eachother, its not driver punking out a rookie DB or something.

-KGB got benched from 2nd team defense? yikes.

-the defense sounds awesome.

-i like having all these potential KR\PR candidates!

thanks for the camp update!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- I like having all these potential KR\PR candidates!

Agreed Trom. KR/PR is important

But KC/PC perhaps is just as or more important for this team. Kick/Punt coverage was a huge weakness in the Packers last year. Coach needs to put together a stong coverage team. Last year I think we ranked 26th or 27th in the NFL in kick coverage.

I think T.T. addressed this in the later rounds of the draft.

RP

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: OTA PICS LINKS

B-Jack BABY!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Funny looking picture of Driver

Morency with new darker Shield, Bada$$!

the scruffle

Will Blackmon on the football field! Rocking the mini afro

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Jackson's college clips, I see a REALLY instinctive runner with sweet feet. I think he is going to be a good one for us.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we are gonna be a ball hawking defense this year boys. every snippet of info from camps so far, has something about stripping the ball drills, lots of INTs. etc etc etc.

We got Big sweet - a ball hawking DT.
Hawk catching one handed ints, from favre.
people swatting down balls,
and dont forget we got the closers, Harris and C-wood waitin in the wings
it could be a fun year to watch some defense.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I have ALWAYS enjoyed watching kick *** defense....and I agree, we have the makings of a monster right now.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Jackson's college clips, I see a REALLY instinctive runner with sweet feet. I think he is going to be a good one for us.

As pissed as I was about Green leaving, I am very exited about Jackson.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The guy I was most impressed with was James Jones. He reminds me of Sterling Sharpe.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe Thompson isn't such an idiot after all ;)
I for one hope that these players make him look like a genius!
That would mean that the Packers were doing well!
After all, thats what matters, right? :thumbsup:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP...I made the same analogy recently about Jones and Sharpe. VERY physical guy with great hands who gains instant seperation with a swim or forearm move.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has taken a ration of heat over these draft picks but if you look at what they do well and what the team needs are they fit in very nicely.

I have to give TT credit for staying focused on what the team personnel needs are based on what they do and then not getting away from what the results of his staffs research ultimately determines.

Once the teams offense and defense was installed TT has not varied from finding players that defines those schemes regardles of who we, the fan base, feel are the right guys.

Why have a full staff of professional talent evaluators who understand what kind of player who will make the schemes your team is committed to more successful, and then not go with what they say?

Would TT have taken Jackson, for example, if we didn't run the zone? No way. Why take a guy with a bigger name and maybe even bigger numbers if what he does best really doesn't fit what we do?

I've heard a lot of WR names that many here would have preferred but what type of WR do we need first and foremost. We need a #3. He needs to be able to run the tough crossing routes. He needs to be strong and capable of winning the battle for the ball. They pick Jones. Many say "what?"

Well, he's a tough kid with great hands who wins the battle in close with defenders most often. Were there bigger name receivers out there?

Yes.

The question is can they do more in that #3 spot, in the offense we run, than the guy we took?

Not in the eyes of the guys that put him on the board where they did. I, for one, think if they stay true to their conviction they will be right more than wrong.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to feel Yared's *****.

People have tried to force me out of this forum for a long time and have failed.

You sir, may have done the impossible.

:runs away:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Timmons said:
I want to feel Yared's *****.

People have tried to force me out of this forum for a long time and have failed.

You sir, may have done the impossible.

:runs away:

I want you to stay at PF.com and frequent no other Packer site. This site needs you.

Members online

Latest posts